Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2011, 11:05   #5236
Team-BHP Support

Guys, need help with facebook app for android.

Whenever I'm opening a picture, its showing the picture title on of the pic, which is really irritating and ruins the whole beauty of the pics. Any way to disable this "feature"?
Old 1st August 2011, 11:22   #5237
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Which application are you using. I am using the standard Facebook app(Which by itself is a crappy application) and i dont get any picture title. I havent modified any settings either.

The picture is displayed with a baloon asking to enter comments.

Can you post a screen shot?
Old 1st August 2011, 11:48   #5238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Alright Fellas, For the benefit of all SGS2 owners running XXKG1 (2.3.4), here are a few pointers for Rooting, CMW Install, Themes etc.

Please bear in mind that all of the below is based on Trial and Error done by me with great assistance from @Invisible.
Zenster finally you got your GS2 rooted. I would suggest try out the litening Rom 4.2 it's much faster than the stock Rom plus the themes are great, gives you more battery usage and you also have a choice underclocking your device when the screen is off, sleep mode which would result in getting more juice out of the charge. Or you could also install Speedmod kernal with the stock rom that's way better than the stock kernal.

Also disable 'Fast Dormancy' by dialing *#9900#*. This can increase your battery life substantially however keep in mind to clear the Cache & delvic cache from the recovery mode after you disable it. Charge the phone to 100% and once it's fully charged to 100%, go down to recovery and clear the battery stats keeping the phone plugged in with the charger. Once you clear the battery stats unplug the charger.

Last edited by Invinsible : 1st August 2011 at 12:06.
Invinsible is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 14:04   #5239
Senior - BHPian

Finally,

After a lot of deliberation, ordered Samsung Galaxy S i9000 from Letsbuy @ INR 19,120 ! Thanks to indian21r for the coupon.

Had considered a lot of phones in the 14-20 k price range:

1. Motorola Defy: Awesome phone and awesome features for the price ! My initial concerns regarding high SAR were put to rest by Samurai and Phamilyman. Had almost made up my mind to buy this, but read on....

2. Samsung Galaxy ACE: Decent value for money but somehow did not appeal as much as an upgrade from my Galaxy 3.

3. Samsung Galaxy SLCD: Very good value for money, but i don't like bulky phones. This one weighed 131 g. And was somewhat inferior cousin of Samsung Galaxy S AMOLED.

4. LG Optimus Black: Not very good review on the net regarding its battery life, loudespeaker etc.

5. Google Nexus S: Same cost as Galaxy SLCD but very glaring ommisions like lack of FM radio and external SD card support !

Was about to order Moto Defy on Sunday when i just casually checked price of Galaxy S AMOLED. It had dropped to a mouth watering 20999 at letsbuy and with coupon would cost around 19 k ! So now there is only 1 k difference between the SLCD and AMOLED, why in the world would anyone go for SLCD. 16 GB internal storage, hummingbird processor, Super AMOLED screen... etc. etc.
My budget had meanwhile increased due to finding a buyer for Galaxy 3 for around 7k.
Heck, Galaxy S was too good to miss at 19 k, so decided to extend my budget and go for it instead of the Moto Defy. Gingerbread update is available for this phone via Samsung Kies, so first thing after getting this phone running on Eclair is to upgrade the firmware !

Last edited by DCEite : 1st August 2011 at 14:05.
Old 1st August 2011, 14:22   #5240
Senior - BHPian

^ Congratulations DCEite. Good choice. Enjoy Gingerbread. Also try CyanogenMod for i9000; its fantastic.
Old 1st August 2011, 15:42   #5241
BHPian

All SGS2 users, need your help in deleting the contacts present in my SIM card. Basically I want to delete the contacts present in my sim which is in my SGS2. How to access the contacts and delete or directly delete the contacts from sim of SGS2? Thanks.
Old 1st August 2011, 17:23   #5242
Senior - BHPian

I dont think you can delete contacts from your sim card. Inherent feature of Android and not SGS2.

There are some round about ways to delete contacts(which may or may not work) but i dont think you can just select sim and delete contacts.

Best way is to put your sim in your friends Nokia and delete all contacts from Sim
Old 1st August 2011, 17:28   #5243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
All SGS2 users, need your help in deleting the contacts present in my SIM card. Basically I want to delete the contacts present in my sim which is in my SGS2. How to access the contacts and delete or directly delete the contacts from sim of SGS2? Thanks.
In addition to the above request, i've one more request from SGS2 owners.

All of my contacts are present in google account. I've added my gmail a/c and all the contacts were brought to the contacts list of SGS2. Now, I wanted to know whether such contacts (synced/imported from google) are stored in the phone memory of SGS2 or they will just be a reference to my gmail account? I observed that in the contacts list of SGS2, all such contacts(imported from google) have a 'g' symbol at the end of each contact.

Now, While creating a new contact, it is asking me where to create the contact and has options like Phone, Google/gmail a/c? If I say google, it addes the contact with 'g'. If I select 'Phone' option to create a new contact, there will not be any symbol in the contacts list for this new contact.

Now, the question is, how to move the contacts that are imported/synced from google a/c into the contacts list of SGS2 to the phone memory of SGS2? I do not see any option in SGS2. Is there any work around here? Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 1st August 2011 at 17:31.
Old 1st August 2011, 18:24   #5244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
are stored in the phone memory of SGS2 or they will just be a reference to my gmail account? I observed that in the contacts list of SGS2, all such contacts(imported from google) have a 'g' symbol at the end of each contact.
The mail storage is Google while a copy is synched to your phone. Your phone memory also has a copy. Even if you lose your phone, you can sycn back to your contacts when you buy another Android.

Quote:
Now, the question is, how to move the contacts that are imported/synced from google a/c into the contacts list of SGS2 to the phone memory of SGS2? I do not see any option in SGS2. Is there any work around here? Thanks.
When you synch the contacts are already in the phone memory. Apart from that you can take a copy by using the import/export option, to an SD card or SIM Card.

Also you can import contacts from SIM card to your phone or google
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 20:02   #5245
BHPian

SGS2 (Stock) Battery usage stats- On EDGE, normal voice calls, SMS.

WiFi, GPS- used both for 10mts. Mail SYNC and Background Data Disabled.
Network was almost always 100%, screen brightness kept to a notch above minimum.
Followed this size zero diet just to check how far the SGS2 can go. Anyway, going miserly and not using 3G, WiFi, GPS does not make sense in buying a 30k phone. So, back to 3G and 15hrs of battery life.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-sgs2.jpeg  

Last edited by xotiq : 1st August 2011 at 20:10.
Old 1st August 2011, 22:10   #5246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, going miserly and not using 3G, WiFi, GPS does not make sense in buying a 30k phone
My phone is on 24hrs gprs with 2 gmail, one office mail,facebook, twitter,gtalk all synched 24hrs. I charge it everynight and i get one day exactly.

More than enough for me. Also found that the widgets on your home screen take more juice than the actual sync. Better diet is to remove any net connecting widgets from the home screen
Old 2nd August 2011, 10:20   #5247
Senior - BHPian

Have been using Galaxy S for 9 months or so. Battery life so far has been good.

This is usually what i get with 24 hour wifi/3g, bluetooth on for 1 hr a day while commuting, silent mode on all the time, watching movie for half and hour daily on lunch break, playing games whenever i get a chance and loads of mail and browsing. Still have approx 50% juice left.
Attached Images

Old 2nd August 2011, 11:16   #5248
BANNED

Any Galaxy mini S55?0 users here?

Got one as gift. Since it was a gift from sister, did not have a too close look yet - just opened the box, closed and will have a closer look couple of days later.

First things first - how mod friendly is this phone.

Edit:- hope that the longer connection wires - both charger & USB - will give me some peace of mind. The Nokia cables were always few inches shorter than what I wanted.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 2nd August 2011 at 11:26.
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:36   #5249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Have been using Galaxy S for 9 months or so. Battery life so far has been good.

This is usually what i get with 24 hour wifi/3g, bluetooth on for 1 hr a day while commuting, silent mode on all the time, watching movie for half and hour daily on lunch break, playing games whenever i get a chance and loads of mail and browsing. Still have approx 50% juice left.
Your phone has a 'pehalwan' battery. Seriously...those are good figures for a Galaxy S.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:25   #5250
BHPian

Folks finally after lot of deliberation picked up the Nexus S, being an Android user for the past 1.5 years I somehow wanted a phone that would give me the latest OS updates without having to yearn and wait to get a new firmware or try and put one of the custom firmwares on. Though the phone doesn't come with a SD card slot, 16GB onboard suits me just fine. I also prefer the unalderated OS, so I can install whatever apps I want. Got it upgraded online to the latest 2.3.4 OS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks