Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 21:56   #5101
BANNED

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Is there no way to sync an Android phone directly with Outlook and get all your contacts in the phone? If you export to CSV, I guess you will loose the photos.
Old 25th July 2011, 22:03   #5102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I think your old phone was a sony ericsson.You have to change the format of contacts manually.No other go
Yes, it was a sony ericsson. Did you face similar probs importing your old contacts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You should save it into a CSV, then process it via excel. That should do it. worst case - email me a sample, i'llwrite an excel code and send it back to u
Could pls PM your mail id.
Old 25th July 2011, 22:42   #5103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
LG Optimus One for 8.9K. It meets your requirements.
Quote:
Dell XCD35 does the entire job. Should go to 800 or 900 mhz max. 1ghz is pushing it. Letsbuy+rcomlb1 coupon.
Thanks guys. I am tempted to buy the Zte Blade a.k.a Dell XDE 35 as phamilyman suggested. Optimus One is a VFM buy but the Blade has got a much much better display for a price difference which totally is justifiable.
And CM7 is officially available for the Blade.
Old 25th July 2011, 22:47   #5104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post
I just got this phone few days back. I feel its a good VFM phone considering is Android.
Will the battery last for more than 2 days, in case we turn off all the unnecessary features (BT, wifi, GPS, animations etc.)?
Some more basic questions. (I don't have any exposure to Android)
1. Does phone have flight/ offline mode?
2. Does Alarm work if phone is powered off?
3. Can we access phonebook while typing messages or vice-versa access messages while on call? Is this a standard Android feature?
4. How is video playback?
Old 26th July 2011, 09:21   #5105
Team-BHP Support

Android OS battery drain bug...

2.3.4 was supposed to solve this bug, but for me 2.3.4 has introduced it! Display shows around 2 hours (1h 53mins) usage and still Android OS (CPU total: 1h 8mins) is draining more juice than the 4.3" S-AMOLED+ screen. Any suggestions?

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-265125_226259327405073_100000630235146_793260_8210044_n.jpg

Phone: SGS2.
2.3.4. XXKG1.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th July 2011 at 09:22.
Old 26th July 2011, 10:03   #5106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Android OS battery drain bug...

2.3.4 was supposed to solve this bug, but for me 2.3.4 has introduced it! Display shows around 2 hours (1h 53mins) usage and still Android OS (CPU total: 1h 8mins) is draining more juice than the 4.3" S-AMOLED+ screen. Any suggestions?

Attachment 583085

Phone: SGS2.
2.3.4. XXKG1.
Had the same issue with my SGS2, a factory reset couple of days back had increased battery life by 10%. Let me see how it performs over couple of charge cycles.
Old 26th July 2011, 10:58   #5107
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Is there no way to sync an Android phone directly with Outlook and get all your contacts in the phone? If you export to CSV, I guess you will loose the photos.
Can someone help me with the above. I should receive the phone today or tomorrow.
Old 26th July 2011, 11:08   #5108

BuyThePrice Sale is back. You get the FINAL price with additional DISCOUNT when you put the item in Cart. Following are some good prices compared to other ONLINE sites.

The discount is SITEWIDE across most items in all categories. It's typically 10% of the listed price.

So buying an item with price above Rs 12,000 will give more discount in BuyThePrice compared to Letsbuy maximum discout of Rs 1,200 with icicilb discount code.
This will be true if the listed price is similar on both sites.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Rs 27,900 Buy Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 in India Online for Rs.30,999 as on - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com
LG Optimus 2X P990 Rs 23,400 Buy LG Optimus 2X P990 in India Online for Rs.25,999 as on - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com
HTC Sensation Rs 27,450 Buy HTC Sensation in India Online for Rs.30,499 as on - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com
Dell Venue Android Rs 20,430 Buy Dell Venue Android in India Online for Rs.22,700 as on - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com
Dell Streak Rs 21,510 Buy Dell Streak in India Online for Rs.23,900 as on - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com
Apple IPhone 3GS Rs 17,991 Buy Apple IPhone 3GS in India Online for Rs.19,990 as on - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com
Apple iPhone 4 16GB Rs 32,775 Buy Apple iPhone 4 16GB (Black) in India Online for Rs.34,500 as on - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com
Old 26th July 2011, 11:11   #5109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
@rohan iitr
why dont you read this review by engadget to assess its quality. Though it still does not replace a blackberry for a BB user, but they are comparing it with phones almost 3-4 times its price. The Indian model also has 3G. In my opinion it's a very good proposition given its throwaway price - Samsung Galaxy Pro review -- Engadget Mobile
Thanks for the link. They have mentioned that this model suffers from poor wifi reception and network reception. Not acceptable for me.

Quote:
Because no one is buying it?

Its a straddle piece
- too small a screen makes junta buy the optimus one or the xcd35.
- the hardcore qwerty guys will buy a blackberry anyday for its superior mail integration and just all around text goodness.

For those who want it - its a good piece. a friend has had one for 3 months and no complaints IIRC
Thanks. Even I feel that this phone couldn't find its place in the niche segment it was meant to target. This phone was meant for users of other OS to dip their toes in the Android waters and get a feel of the Android OS before taking the big plunge. Somehow the strategy has not worked for them. I guess the poor battery backup and reception issues might be to blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post
I just got this phone few days back. I feel its a good VFM phone considering is Android. The only -ve I can think of is its battery, considering that we overuse the internet and play with media when its brand new and especially if its the first android that you buy.
Many negatives have been said about the screen resolution, but I feel it all depends on what you are graduation from - if you are used to iPhone and SGII, you may feel that the resolutoin is less.

You have very few phones (on this price range) that is Android and has a qwerty keys. I got this one from letsby for 7.5k

P.S:
I haven't used a BB or Android before, I was ussing a SE P1i before.
Thanks for the review. I don't have have any problems with the lower screen resolution or the lack of features in this phone. (I am currently using a feature phone, so even an entry level Android phone would be an upgrade for me ). But I am having doubts regarding the battery backup and signal reception of this phone.

Call me old fashioned, but I feel that the primary function of a phone is to make phone calls. If the battery backup and/or signal reception is not good, the phone is no good for me. Also, all the fancy features in smartphones are usable only when it has sufficient battery juice to make use of those features. (I am the kind of person who feels that the mobile phone should need charging only once a day, no matter how heavily it is used. Told ya, I'm old fashioned )

Even though Samsung Galaxy Pro is a VFM phone, it doesn't seem to suit my requirement.

Did you compare this to Nokia E5 ? Any comments on E5 ?

Rohan
Old 26th July 2011, 11:18   #5110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thanks guys. I am tempted to buy the Zte Blade a.k.a Dell XDE 35 as phamilyman suggested. Optimus One is a VFM buy but the Blade has got a much much better display for a price difference which totally is justifiable.
And CM7 is officially available for the Blade.
Is Blade officially available in India? I see only XCD35 which is priced at a premium.
Old 26th July 2011, 11:20   #5111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone help me with the above. I should receive the phone today or tomorrow.
  1. Boot up the phone
  2. Add outlook account
  3. Sync
Problem solved.

Or if you are planning to import from your own outlook installation, then CSV is the way to go. It takes less time than the time you've spent in posting your queries ... serious!
Old 26th July 2011, 11:27   #5112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Thanks for the link. They have mentioned that this model suffers from poor wifi reception and network reception. Not acceptable for me.
The phone has excellent call quality and acceptable wifi reception for the few hours I tested it. JFYI. Indian model has a different radio hardware I suppose, as it supports 3G unlike the US model. Nokia is a dying brand.

Otherwise if you are still not convinced, I would suggest you spend a little more amount (2-3 times more) and get a better phone from among the many options already discussed here.

Last edited by dkaile : 26th July 2011 at 11:35.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 11:33   #5113
BANNED

Quote:
  1. Boot up the phone
  2. Add outlook account
  3. Sync
Problem solved.

Or if you are planning to import from your own outlook installation, then CSV is the way to go. It takes less time than the time you've spent in posting your queries ... serious!
Sorry about that, but I really don't have much knowledge on this subject, that's why the questions. I'll try once I get the phone.
Old 26th July 2011, 12:37   #5114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry about that, but I really don't have much knowledge on this subject, that's why the questions. I'll try once I get the phone.
arre brother, i just meant in a friendly matter of fact way. You are worrying much more than you should - just let the phone boot up and u'll see how simple it is
Old 26th July 2011, 12:44   #5115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
The phone has excellent call quality and acceptable wifi reception for the few hours I tested it. J...
While I agree with Rohan on the primary functions of a cell phone, I am glad to know that call quality is good in Indian models.
How good is the speakerphone and the ring tone volume?

Can we hear the phone ringing in noisy environments?
How loud will it be if it is kept inside a ladies purse and the lady is in the market?

On another note, HTC phones with HTC Sense support a feature where the phone will sound louder while inside a bag and the volume will automatically reduce when the phone is taken out of the bag.
Is that feature part of Sense 2.5?

Last edited by S_U_N : 26th July 2011 at 12:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks