Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2011, 19:46   #5041
BANNED

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Ordered a Nexus S from Letsbuy for 17999. Thanks to vijuvarghese for the coupon. Now just waiting to get my hands on it. Transaction was done by a friend. He's also planning on buying one once he see's mine.
Old 22nd July 2011, 20:23   #5042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Can you post the screen shot of the setting page, if you don't mind? Are you able to hear the caller name instead of the number? Thanks.
Sorry for the delay in reply.

Yes I hear the name of the Caller. I would suggest check of multiple copies of names/contacts. Try creating a new contact from a known number (like you friends number) with the common name like 'John' or 'Mike', save it, and then ask him to call you after verifying the below settings.

Here are all the screenshots from the settings:

Name:  SC20110722200613.png
Views: 666
Size:  114.9 KB
Name:  SC20110722200635.png
Views: 545
Size:  65.9 KB
Name:  SC20110722200647.png
Views: 643
Size:  57.3 KB
Name:  SC20110722200717.png
Views: 603
Size:  81.6 KB
Name:  SC20110722200722.png
Views: 577
Size:  73.8 KB

P.S: I clicked 'Thanks' instead of 'Quote' by mistake
Zenster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 20:56   #5043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Sorry for the delay in reply.

Yes I hear the name of the Caller. I would suggest check of multiple copies of names/contacts. Try creating a new contact from a known number (like you friends number) with the common name like 'John' or 'Mike', save it, and then ask him to call you after verifying the below settings..
Thanks for the settings. One thing I've observed is that if I activate the driving mode from the widget on the home screen and the blue tooth is NOT connected to the phone, I'm able to hear the caller name. But, when the blue tooth is connected, instead of the name, it is saying the numbers/digits of the caller like "Call from +9199..." instead of the name.

I'll check if this is anything related to my bluetooth head set in particular(Make - BlueAnt T1). I came to know that this headset has the capability to copy the phone contacts from the phone and say the caller id when one gets a call. Need to check if this is causing the problem. In fact, I'm not getting the caller name also on the BT, which is supposed to come as per the specs of this BT. Will try to check with any other BT. Any additional info in this regard is much appreciated.

Also, under the Settings -> Voice input and output settings -> Voice recognition -> Which option is currently selected (Samsung powered by Vlingo or Google)?

Thank You very much.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 22nd July 2011 at 21:00.
Old 22nd July 2011, 21:28   #5044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Thanks for the settings. One thing I've observed is that if I activate the driving mode from the widget on the home screen and the blue tooth is NOT connected to the phone, I'm able to hear the caller name. But, when the blue tooth is connected, instead of the name, it is saying the numbers/digits of the caller like "Call from +9199..." instead of the name.

I'll check if this is anything related to my bluetooth head set in particular(Make - BlueAnt T1). I came to know that this headset has the capability to copy the phone contacts from the phone and say the caller id when one gets a call. Need to check if this is causing the problem. In fact, I'm not getting the caller name also on the BT, which is supposed to come as per the specs of this BT. Will try to check with any other BT. Any additional info in this regard is much appreciated.

Also, under the Settings -> Voice input and output settings -> Voice recognition -> Which option is currently selected (Samsung powered by Vlingo or Google)?

Thank You very much.
I use the Samsung Mono-bluetooth headset that came with the phone and seems to work fine. This is very basic bluetooth earpiece with no settings like you've mentioned. So yeah, i'd agree with you on checking the headset settings and also trying another basic earpiece once since the phone seems to do its job on its own.

I have Google selected on the Settings -> Voice input and output settings -> Voice recognition
Old 22nd July 2011, 22:23   #5045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
HTC EVO 3D is in my hands. The World's 1st (proper) 3D Phone is now working for us in India (on cdma - Reliance).
Detailed Review will be coming up here - Review: Sprint HTC EVO 3D - World's 1st (Proper) 3D Phone - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums
@dkaile: please can you advise if the phone requires any changes to be made to work on Reliance CDMA or is just insert the sim and it works fine.

If it requires some changes how easy is it to make?

One of my friends will be travelling to US next week so can get it for me.
Old 23rd July 2011, 09:27   #5046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
@dkaile: please can you advise if the phone requires any changes to be made to work on Reliance CDMA or is just insert the sim and it works fine.

If it requires some changes how easy is it to make?

One of my friends will be travelling to US next week so can get it for me.
There is NO sim in this phone. It's a cdma phone and its meid needs to be registered with your desired cdma network here. A little programming is also needed to get 3g/EVDO data working. Kindly refer to the original rimweb post and post your queries there for better answers and understanding of your dilemma.

--------------

This is my EVDO (3G) speed on my android phone. I request members to post theirs also (only on-phone speeds, not the pc one's) so that we all can have an idea of the network state in India

Name:  EVDO Speed on EVO3D.png
Views: 648
Size:  22.1 KB
Old 23rd July 2011, 10:59   #5047
BHPian

My friend wants to order (online) a mobile phone for his sister. His budget is around 15 -20k (strict range). Please suggest some good phones and sites where he should order it. Any discount coupons will also be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Ordered a Nexus S from Letsbuy for 17999. Thanks to vijuvarghese for the coupon. Now just waiting to get my hands on it. Transaction was done by a friend. He's also planning on buying one once he see's mine.
Have you received it already. How is the phone? My friend is also looking for one in similar range. Can you please share your review.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd July 2011 at 13:45. Reason: merging posts. Please edit existing post if posting with 30mins.
Old 23rd July 2011, 11:08   #5048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
There is NO sim in this phone. It's a cdma phone and its meid needs to be registered with your desired cdma network here. A little programming is also needed to get 3g/EVDO data working. Kindly refer to the original rimweb post and post your queries there for better answers and understanding of your dilemma.

--------------

This is my EVDO (3G) speed on my android phone. I request members to post theirs also (only on-phone speeds, not the pc one's) so that we all can have an idea of the network state in India

Attachment 581462
Here is the speed test result of Vodafone 3G in PUNE.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-263065_1658214755802_1850134985_1105843_683694_n.jpg  

F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2011, 11:22   #5049
BHPian

I had ordered my SGS2 through letsbuy on 19th. Yesterday they got back to me saying the pincode is not servicable. So I requested them to send it via bluedart and I would collect it from their hub in city. Instead they send it by DTDC to the bluedart hub in my city with no reference of mine . It is a SGS2 prepaid , god knows whether the guy will walkaway with my phone. I have told them to get back the shipment and resend it by bluedart. Hope they have not sent it yet.
Old 23rd July 2011, 13:03   #5050
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
Have you received it already. How is the phone? My friend is also looking for one in similar range. Can you please share your review.
Not yet received. They will be shipping on Monday. My friend had to do the transaction as there was some issue with my credit card.
Old 23rd July 2011, 14:34   #5051
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Ordered a Nexus S from Letsbuy for 17999. Thanks to vijuvarghese for the coupon.
Best rate i'm getting after coupon is 18799/-. Any other coupon code for better discount?!
Old 23rd July 2011, 15:03   #5052
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Best rate i'm getting after coupon is 18799/-. Any other coupon code for better discount?!
Yea it's a coupon you get when you make a purchase. It gives you 10% off on the product you buy or 10% of of the value of the product purchased by the person who gives it to you whichever is less. In my case the coupon was from a a SGS2 so I could have got a max of 10% of the SGS2 which was a little over 2900. However the Nexus S is 19999. So the max discount is 2000. You can contact vijuvarghese and see if he has any coupons left.
Old 23rd July 2011, 20:30   #5053
BANNED

LG Optimus One P500 Updated to Android Gingerbread 2.3.3 ! I just read here. eagerly waiting for my phone to arrive.

Last edited by wildon : 23rd July 2011 at 20:41.
wildon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2011, 22:57   #5054
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,
A basic query - trying to decide if I should go the Android way or Blackberry.

My requirements are basic - I want a phone with a good qwerty keypad (am ok with touch screen qwerty keypad but should be good), a good browser that supports most websites (my current Samsung Star 3G doesn't!) and good apps for blogging & social apps.

On the blackberry front, I'm looking at 8520 or the one with 3G (9300 I think).
On the Android front, I like Wildfire S; haven't seen other options available between 10 to 14 grand.

Please do provide your inputs; if possible with reasons too. Really would appreciate it
Old 24th July 2011, 06:29   #5055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Guys,
A basic query - trying to decide if I should go the Android way or Blackberry.

My requirements are basic - I want a phone with a good qwerty keypad (am ok with touch screen qwerty keypad but should be good), a good browser that supports most websites (my current Samsung Star 3G doesn't!) and good apps for blogging & social apps.

On the blackberry front, I'm looking at 8520 or the one with 3G (9300 I think).
On the Android front, I like Wildfire S; haven't seen other options available between 10 to 14 grand.

Please do provide your inputs; if possible with reasons too. Really would appreciate it
The android UI experience is very user friendly compared to BB. You can also look at MOTO DEFY in the 10-14K bracket. My vote goes to Android.
Check out videos on Swype

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks