Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2011, 09:53   #4906
BANNED

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Sorry guys I missed your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
If u looking at basic browsing and calls and emails I would recon going for Nexus S. It has everything that you would need + a lot more. There are a few Nexus S users here on tbhp and you may contact them and get their feedback on the same. You can grab a Nexus S on letsbuy for about 18900/-
The price is great for the phone. The only problem is no Card slot and no FM. I can live without the card but FM is a must.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
If you get the 10% voucher, the price drops to just 18000/-
What is this voucher?
Old 19th July 2011, 10:06   #4907
BHPian

I just ordered my SGS2 in letsbuy . vinuvarghese, thanks for the coupon code. The end price was Rs.27020. @rahul thanks for you info as well. I will update the details as I get them.
Old 19th July 2011, 11:36   #4908
BANNED

Just came across this deal.
HTC Desire | HTC Mobile Phones | Saholic.com
It's the cheapest Desire I found. But it says it's running Android 2.1. Can I easily upgrade it to 2.3 or at least 2.2?
Old 19th July 2011, 11:46   #4909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Just came across this deal.

It's the cheapest Desire I found. But it says it's running Android 2.1. Can I easily upgrade it to 2.3 or at least 2.2?
Desire comes with 2.2 now. even if its listed as 2.1, you will get 2.2 I guess.

Desire is the most robust phone (in terms of build) I have used till date. Looks kind of brittle but I must say that the body shell is designed to take impacts; my phone has fallen down 4 times on hard surfaces. Nothing happened to the body except two minor dots on the sides. There are no scratches at all. I do not know how Sammys and Motos fair in this area.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th July 2011 at 11:51.
Old 19th July 2011, 11:49   #4910
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thanks. What about 2.3? Has anyone updated the Desire to 2.3 here?
Old 19th July 2011, 11:59   #4911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I am running 2.3 (Cyanogenmod 7.0.3) in my desire. But that's not an official update. Heard that it is coming..
Old 19th July 2011, 12:23   #4912
BHPian

So, finally I flashed CM7 on my 4 month old Moto Defy. And, I am loving the experience so far.

It is much faster, snappier, and stable then the stock 2.2 ROM which was released for Indian Defy earlier in June.

The only issue that remains is, there has been no visible improvement with regards to battery life. Still lasts me just about 10-12 hrs. Any idea, how can I get more juice out of my phone's battery?
Old 19th July 2011, 12:53   #4913
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, I am running 2.3 (Cyanogenmod 7.0.3) in my desire. But that's not an official update. Heard that it is coming..
So this is an un-official update. Does the Sense UI work or this the the raw Android like in the Nexus? Where can I get the instructions for doing this.
Old 19th July 2011, 13:45   #4914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So this is an un-official update. Does the Sense UI work or this the the raw Android like in the Nexus? Where can I get the instructions for doing this.
All the instructions cannot be found at one place, but I can consolidate what needs to be done:

1) Download unrevoked software for Windows (Assuming you have a windows pc) unrevoked
2) Install USB hboot drivers for Windows
3) Connect the phone to PC , run unrevoked and get the phone rooted
4) Backup current ROM from Clockworkmod recovery - unrevoked installs this as well.
5) Download CM7 & Google apps for CM7 (cyanogenmod.com)
6) Copy them to the root of your SD card, and boot to recovery and flash CM7 and Google apps.

You are done. Feel free to contact me for any questions..

There is no Sense UI in CM7. If you want 2.3 and Sense UI, you can install LeeDroid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
It is much faster, snappier, and stable then the stock 2.2 ROM which was released for Indian Defy earlier in June.
Though I tend to agree with you, I found Camera application to be somewhat unstable in CM7. May be it's an issue with my installation but at times Camera app FC'ed on me when I wanted to snap some quick pictures.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th July 2011 at 13:53.
Old 19th July 2011, 14:16   #4915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Desire is the most robust phone (in terms of build) I have used till date. Looks kind of brittle but I must say that the body shell is designed to take impacts; my phone has fallen down 4 times on hard surfaces. Nothing happened to the body except two minor dots on the sides. There are no scratches at all. I do not know how Sammys and Motos fair in this area.
The motorola is better. Its designed for IP67 and feels a bit solid - not as plush as the HTC, more sort of like a solid little brick that works in rain or shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post

The only issue that remains is, there has been no visible improvement with regards to battery life. Still lasts me just about 10-12 hrs. Any idea, how can I get more juice out of my phone's battery?
There is no shortcut. Use lesser or cut down on background data. Data is the killer. I had <2% hourly battery drain yesterday after a stupid app shut down data and I didn't know the setting to change and was busy in meetings. By end of day, the phone was still at 80% inspite of 45mins of calls!

In regular use, I only get 16-18 hours. And flash RC0 - the current nightlies have some N-point multitouch (more than what motorola originally did) under test, which makes the touchscreen a bit woozy in corners.

Last edited by phamilyman : 19th July 2011 at 14:33.
Old 19th July 2011, 15:53   #4916
BHPian

Quote:
Official 2.3 is expected to be released by this month end:
Desire and Gingerbread Update | Facebook
Old 19th July 2011, 16:09   #4917

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
- one of the fastest to lock your location. Even without gps enabled the phone locks location using the towers much faster than the previous generation.
- Phone over heats on prolonged usage. The back cover is a simple plastic. I have a case mate case. After having this case i did not feel any heat problem.
- Any phone with Super Amoled screen will heat up while its being used. SGS2 does over heat. BUt i have not had instance of getting burned like some reported.

There are no navigation application available in market. By rooting and adding your own ROM one can get navigation feature.
How is the lockin time without A-GPS(data connection turned off). Can you pls check and let me know, Thanks

dkaile,
Great!! will try those out as soon as I get my hands over the phone.
Old 19th July 2011, 16:09   #4918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Here are some pics of the Samsung Galaxy S2 Vehicle Dock. I bought is from FlipKart (from the link given in this thread a few pages back). Spent 1689/- with COD and it was delivered today.

I am yet to fix it in the Car, but the initial impressions are as follows:

-Solid Build Quality of all components.
-Fits the SGS2 Very well.
-Works both in Landscape and Portrait mode (Good for GPS use)
-As soon as the SGS2 is docked, the "Driving Mode" is activated automatically.
-As can be seen below, the dock has the charging port and AUX port. Hence no hassles of connecting and disconnecting the cables.
Even I bought the car dock from Alfa, Andheri. Though I am facing a problem in mine. Whenever I am driving, the phone starts saying "What can I do for you?" repeatedly even if I dont say "Hi Galaxy". I have no other option than turning the voice talk off which beats the entire purpose of having the voice talk app. If the car is in a standstill position, it keeps quiet! The minute I start driving, it starts driving me crazy.

Secondly, I connected the car dock to the USB port of i20 and the car refuses to detect the phone! Hence, I cant play the songs stored in the phone. If I connect the Phone directly to the USB port (without the dock in between), the car detects it, but is not able to read the songs!

Have you faced the same problems?

Last edited by _raVan_ : 19th July 2011 at 16:12.
Old 19th July 2011, 16:16   #4919
e46
BHPian

Guys,
any chance of a price cut for the Incredible S, being currently retailed for 26,399? Dont you think, its overpriced (considering a couple of grands more gets you a SGS2)

I am considering this device for sometime, but the price seems to be a little long on the tooth.
Old 19th July 2011, 16:35   #4920
BHPian

Guys after lurking on this thread for a while , i am planning to buy Defy from Letsbuy & the price displayed is -15799/-. Can any body please tell me what coupon code should i use to get the price to 13.8K ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks