Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2011, 13:34   #4876
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Reasons being, the cost factor or is it because they have compatibility issues with Indian cars ? I was planning on getting them only because they are from a fairly known manufacturer and seem to have good build quality (atleast from the pics).
I am saying buy the same thing locally. Shipping from USA will be either expensive/inordinate or in general too much of a hassle!
Old 18th July 2011, 15:00   #4877
BHPian

Here are some pics of the Samsung Galaxy S2 Vehicle Dock. I bought is from FlipKart (from the link given in this thread a few pages back). Spent 1689/- with COD and it was delivered today.

I am yet to fix it in the Car, but the initial impressions are as follows:

-Solid Build Quality of all components.
-Fits the SGS2 Very well.
-Works both in Landscape and Portrait mode (Good for GPS use)
-As soon as the SGS2 is docked, the "Driving Mode" is activated automatically.
-As can be seen below, the dock has the charging port and AUX port. Hence no hassles of connecting and disconnecting the cables.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20110718_130011.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20110718_130042.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20110718_131318.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20110718_131358.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20110718_131449.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20110718_131507.jpg  

Zenster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 15:19   #4878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I am saying buy the same thing locally. Shipping from USA will be either expensive/inordinate or in general too much of a hassle!
Aah, I was planning to get it through friends/colleagues coming back from the states. In that case which would be a better option out of the 3 mentioned.
Old 18th July 2011, 15:40   #4879
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
10in1 Multi USB Charger Cable BlackBerry HTC iPod Nokia | eBay

Mother of all multipin chargers....10 in 1...
no worries here.
it is what is shown.
just a usb male, and charger males.
you've gotta use your own charger with a usb female.
I got this, and am using it on a tab, and x10, an iphone, and a BB.
No go on data transfer.

very useful, if you got clutter at the multipoint board.

couple of issue, though, the cable is reaaaaaaaaaally short, just avt 4-5 inches.
and, only one device at a time please.
It costs so little, cos it is worth only that much, no matter who makes it.
(except apple, of course, in which case it will be for Rs.3350/- )
Old 18th July 2011, 15:48   #4880
Senior - BHPian

@zenster - great accessory. Enjoy it...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 16:02   #4881
BHPian

My brother bought a Nexus S (i9023) last week... Thankfully, he hasn't faced the rebooting problem that is a bit common on this model...

However, he is facing another quirky issue... He forgot to recharge the battery once and it got completely discharged. Then after recharging when the phone was switched on, it just freezed on the "Google" start-up screen. It was the same after repeated attempts to start the phone.

We took it to the Samsung service centre and they replaced the software of the phone (under warranty). By mistake, they also let the battery discharge and faced the same problem with the new software too.

We finallly haggled a bit and got the handset replaced. My brother is too scared to test the new piece for the problem. Heard a couple of guys have the Nexus S here, so beware..

PS: It's a great phone though...
Old 18th July 2011, 16:41   #4882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilB View Post
However, he is facing another quirky issue... He forgot to recharge the battery once and it got completely discharged. Then after recharging when the phone was switched on, it just freezed on the "Google" start-up screen. It was the same after repeated attempts to start the phone.

sounds like your phone only:
Problem with your Nexus booting up w/ Android 2.3? Post here - Google Mobile Help

Maybe the best thing is to put CM7 on it. Ideally after charging it should have worked.

What specifically did they do? Could you not enter recovery or the bootloader?
Old 18th July 2011, 17:03   #4883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
sounds like your phone only:
Problem with your Nexus booting up w/ Android 2.3? Post here - Google Mobile Help

Maybe the best thing is to put CM7 on it. Ideally after charging it should have worked.

What specifically did they do? Could you not enter recovery or the bootloader?
Deciding to not root the phone for the time being. Anyway, it is my brother's phone and he is not that adventurous.

Nopes. A bit new to the Android world, but as far as I could tell it would not even enter those modes.

Not sure what the service centre did. They said they would reload the software. Took 2 full days for it. They mentioned that they were doing a 500MB download.
Anyway, got a new handset and will not let the battery discharge. Lesson learnt.
Old 18th July 2011, 17:13   #4884
Senior - BHPian

Auto upates - cannot cancel

I came across a very annoying problem with Android yesterday.

Was browsing through WiFi hotspot and I noticed that the speed has come down drastically. Upon checking the notifications in the phone, I saw that one app has started updating on its own, since I had checked the auto update option in market for that app.

Name:  snap20110717_213210.png
Views: 427
Size:  54.9 KB

To save bandwidth for my browsing, I tried cancelling that update. Pulled down notifications, tapped on the update progress bar, and it took me to that app's page in market. I tapped "Cancel" button and waited...

The update wasn't stopping. During the next one hour, I slowly realized the fact that I cannot stop that update at all. Yes, once that update starts, there is no way you can stop it. Here are the things I have tried.

1) Turned off EDGE, waited and tuned it back on - update resumed. I knew it would.
2) Put the phone in flight mode, and switched to normal mode - update resumed, not surprised here too.
3) Restarted phone - update resumed
4) Turned off the phone, cleared Dalvik cache and booted - update resumed
5) Uninstalled the app for which update was going on - no effect on update which is in progress

Now tried some more methods after browsing the internet for solutions

6) Went to applications, and deleted cache and data for Market and Market Updater, and restarted Market - update was not affected at all and was eating my bandwidth throughout.

7) Took terminal emulator, listed found processes that were having TCP connections open, (iftop, netstat, kill etc.) killed them all - update was still resuming.

8) Killed all processes that I could - using kill -9 <PID> command - update was not affected

Eventually I gave up and waited - update went to 100% after 1 hour 20 minutes and then nothing happened. I got my bandwidth back.

The green android robot was pouring that yellow liquid all over me during those 1 hour 20 minutes.

If anyone knows how to stop such an update please share how to do that.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th July 2011 at 17:19.
Old 18th July 2011, 17:36   #4885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If anyone knows how to stop such an update please share how to do that.
Hey,

There is an icon in the applications called downloads. All you have to do is go there, pick the current download and cancel it.

Try it next time.

@VVRchandra
Quote:
from 10-15% charge remaining, the phone is taking 3.5 to 4 hours
There is an application called Battery Dr. This one helps you with monitoring the battery as well as allows you to do full cycle charge. 3.4 to 4 hours after the battery is going down to 10% charge means its doing a full cycle charge. If you charge your battery when its well above 20% you are no doing a full cycle charge. I may be wrong.

Last edited by VW2010 : 18th July 2011 at 18:04.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 17:49   #4886
BHPian

On my SGS2, to charge to 100% from 10-15% charge remaining, the phone is taking 3.5 to 4 hours. Is this common with all SGS2 phone? I'm generally charging only when the charge falls below 15%.
Old 18th July 2011, 18:12   #4887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Hey,
There is an icon in the applications called downloads. All you have to do is go there, pick the current download and cancel it.
Hey thanks very much for the tip. I am now wondering why this didn't occur to me Somewhere in the back of my mind I had this notion that the download cannot be stopped.
Will surely try it next time and post.

Name:  snap20110718_180753.png
Views: 334
Size:  33.2 KB

Unplugged for 18 hours and still 77% remaining. Bump charging can do wonders. Yesterday while charging, I noted that the battery % went from 89% straight to 100% in a second and charging stopped. Then I turned it off, put it for charging again, and it was actually charging. After the light turned green again, I rebooted the phone. Was getting very impressive battery life afterwards.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th July 2011 at 18:17.
Old 18th July 2011, 18:21   #4888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
am now wondering why this didn't occur to me
I was equally frustrated to find a way to stop this. Then suddenly found this application. Now this applciation stays on my home screen.

Quote:
Unplugged for 18 hours and still 77% remaining
Thats way too impressive. Do you even use your phone?? I invariably charge it anytime and everytime i feel i have to. So never felt the need to check the battery consumption. I just dont see the phone as a long term device to be bothered about battery. I guess i am too lazy to worry about battery feature.

One good thing is that this phone is my in-car entertainment system with 20GB of songs, videos and stand ups. And i charge it while listening or watching in the phone(in car).

Great phone i Say
Old 18th July 2011, 18:22   #4889
BANNED

I'm looking to buy an Android phone this week. I don't mind spending the 30K or so it costs for the top phones but looking the the Desire at 16.5K and the Nexus S at 20K, I'm confused. Is the extra amount spent really worth it or should I stick to the discounted phones.
Old 18th July 2011, 18:48   #4890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive
I'm looking to buy an Android phone this week. I don't mind spending the 30K or so it costs for the top phones but looking the the Desire at 16.5K and the Nexus S at 20K, I'm confused. Is the extra amount spent really worth it or should I stick to the discounted phones.
Yesterday only my friend picked up the SGS2. I found the phone totally worth the money spent. If you can stretch up to 30k this phone is absolutely worth it. Also have a look at HTC Sensation.

And YES the extra amount spent is really worth it but it really depends on what's your actual need from the phone.

Hope this has been helpful.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks