Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 11:47   #4726
Senior - BHPian

I am going to install the villan Rom this week. Will update how it feels after the update.

Resetting is just factory reset after taking a complete backup. Ensure to remove any memory card.
Old 12th July 2011, 12:19   #4727
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Is there a way to disable in-app purchases in Android? Or is the any API that can be blocked on a a rooted tablet?
Old 12th July 2011, 13:17   #4728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Google Maps voice navigation for India can be enabled with a small hack. . Supports offline caching as well.
OK. This got me really really interested. Can you PM me with the details?

Mods - hope this is not considered software piracy, because it really isnt.
Old 12th July 2011, 13:24   #4729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Guys, took the bate after following this thread for too long thanks to @Phamilyman and @Samurai!!
Congrats, but I don't think I deserve any credit here. It is Phamilyman show all the way as far as Defy is concerned, I rarely have time to explore and contribute these days. I was only responsible for his U-turn on Defy, and that was a long time back.
Old 12th July 2011, 13:26   #4730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Well, glad you told about the coupon..
Eh, how about the phone now

Ace.
Awaiting the delivery. You will know when it arrives because I'm very new to Android platform and I will be shooting lot more silly queries!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999 View Post
Where did you buy it from? Also which phone??
Sorry! I bought it from Letsbuy.com and the phone is Motorola Defy. The decision is purely based on overwhelming positive feedbacks from our seniors on this forum
Old 12th July 2011, 13:40   #4731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Google Maps voice navigation for India can be enabled with a small hack. . Supports offline caching as well.
ah nice, so whats the hack? So it took a few charges, but im getting some decent battery life on my Defy now. My phone has been off the charger for 20 hrs and i have still 60% life left. Of course this is with all data off, screen fully dim, and minimal usage (mainly text messaging, one or two phone calls).
Old 12th July 2011, 14:55   #4732
BHPian

My NExus S has arrived finally on Saturday in Pune. Blue dart gave me the octroi recipet but I argued that Letsbuy has p[aid for the same and finally after 10 mins of discussion they agreed.

The phone looks super cool. Loved the feel of it in Hand. Call clarity and Signal stenght are good. Brilliant screen, stock speaker clarity is decent enough. loaded it with lots of games and Videos. Don't know how to send business cards etc. after which I have confirmed that I have to root the phone. Well I guess Nexus S was deisgned for that in the sense it is ultra basic phone without modding

Tested GPS on the Mumbai Pune Expressway. It takes almost 40s to get a lock and then looses it.

More updates once I flash the phone
Old 12th July 2011, 15:36   #4733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
loaded it with lots of games and Videos. Don't know how to send business cards etc. after which I have confirmed that I have to root the phone. Well I guess Nexus S was deisgned for that in the sense it is ultra basic phone without modding
What made you decide that you should root the phone and flash? I think Nexus S comes with most of the required stuff within the stock Android 2.3 installation. You may just need to install more apps to meet your various requirements.

Is this the feature you're looking for? (Share vCard menu has been overlayed by the team bhp logo)
Name:  snap20110712_154034.png
Views: 389
Size:  53.7 KB

Last edited by clevermax : 12th July 2011 at 15:44.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:21   #4734
BHPian

Someone kindly suggest me a good droid for less than 20k. Need to buy one this evening.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:38   #4735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Someone kindly suggest me a good droid for less than 20k. Need to buy one this evening.
The trend we are following is:
Whateva money you have above 15K (if budget is less than 20K)

1. Buy Defy(moto)-letsbuy + ICICILB coupon, (save even more!)
2. Contact phamilyman (for everything else + all the troubles you can possibly have, are already known and/or are resolved here)
^ Includes rooting/flash/upgrades/performance/GB and all.

+ In case phamilyman is on leave from tbhp dont forget ! we have Samurai and dkaile bhai log

3. Relax- and buy some goodies with saved money!

__

But, seriously-
1. Moto Defy
2. HTC Desire

thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 12th July 2011 at 16:40.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:45   #4736
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
thought id quote you in too.
Went out and got the x10 on sunday.
I had been on an x1 on wm6.5 , then used an iphone for a couple o' days.
In the meantime, i decided to park the portion that is cut-out from the sim in the x1's slot.
When i tried to go back to the x1, and tried taking that piece of sim out, it pulled out a couple of contact pins.
So finally decided to go ahead, and get one.
I have loved the x10 since it came out.
the 1.6 put me off, but now that 2.1 was available, went ahead.
got it for 15k.
all things considered, SE does know how to make good looking phones.
For a second i thought to go for the torch, that was about 17.5k,but then heart over head.
Ive only ever used SEs.
plus dont want to get on the BB wagon till i am forced to.

Functionality wise, nothing much to say.Does everything same as all others running froyo.
Decided not to root it, as an update is due in august.
post that we'll see.
Word of advice to everyone.
One:battery is SAD in this.
It will barely last you for the working hours, not even the day.
now this is the same BST-41 which i have on the X1, so i have a spare.
my comfort is, eventually when my routine with X1 settled in, and i found a light and stable ROM, the battery used to last me from 6am to 11pm easy.
So i am giving the same margin to this too.
Right now i am playing around a lot, putting in apps, trying different social networking interface apps and what not.
Right now i have very heavy net usage(for a phone), some calls.
7am i take the phone off charge, and at 4-5 pm, its down to 15%, time to switch.
another week or so, i am sure it'll give me a 7 to 9 minimum.
Anyone else facing a battery problem, you can effectively double(optimistically) the life with two things:
1. advanced task killer.run about 10-15 times a day(very basic process with the app, no worries).
2. Put in a widget called apn on off (for gprs) on the home screen.turn the net on when you need to access(one touch thing), turn it off when done.
Thats the killer when it keeps connecting to the net.

rest all radios(wifi,bluetooth, gps) have native toggles, and they as it is dont turn on on demand.

fun!!

First app to go on the phone was drag-racing..seriously addictive, needs internet constantly, but KILLER game!
Old 12th July 2011, 16:52   #4737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Word of advice to everyone.
One:battery is SAD in this.
It will barely last you for the working hours, not even the day.

Right now i am playing around a lot, putting in apps, trying different social networking interface apps and what not.
Right now i have very heavy net usage(for a phone), some calls.
7am i take the phone off charge, and at 4-5 pm, its down to 15%, time to switch.
You battery life will suck during the initial honeymoon days with the phone; due to very high usage. As you move on, it will get better and better. I had times when my battery lasted only 6+ hours due to constant heavy usage, and from the same phone, I could extract 36 hours of battery life weeks later. Now my phone lasts a day with normal usage with some juice to spare for the next cycle of 24 hours.

Last edited by clevermax : 12th July 2011 at 16:54.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2011, 16:52   #4738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please think aaram se. else u'll have another A10 on your hands! Don't impulse buy. What are we here for?

why not a used optimus 2x?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I think Nexus S comes with most of the required stuff within the stock Android 2.3 installation. You may just need to install more apps to meet your various requirements.

Is this the feature you're looking for? (Share vCard menu has been overlayed by the team bhp logo)
woah. ADW launcher in CM7 does not have it. Which launcher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Tested GPS on the Mumbai Pune Expressway. It takes almost 40s to get a lock and then looses it.

More updates once I flash the phone
[Jul.10.2011 HD2 w/AGPS SUPPORT!] Instantaneous GPS Fixation v1.2 US & INTERNATIONAL! - xda-developers but needs root.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
ah nice, so whats the hack? So it took a few charges, but im getting some decent battery life on my Defy now. My phone has been off the charger for 20 hrs and i have still 60% life left. Of course this is with all data off, screen fully dim, and minimal usage (mainly text messaging, one or two phone calls).
jesus christ, that is like nokia 1100 territory. There are two ways of staying fit:
a. Not eating, which sucks.
b. Eating well and cycling well - Folks such as Thor Hushovd!

Like most iPhoners or android folks, we follow the 2nd methodology. The other way out is to join the dark side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Sorry! I bought it from Letsbuy.com and the phone is Motorola Defy. The decision is purely based on overwhelming positive feedbacks from our seniors on this forum
No seniors, just early adopting lunatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I was only responsible for his U-turn on Defy, and that was a long time back.
Seriously, life would've been darned boring if I was on Samsung Galaxy SL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Is there a way to disable in-app purchases in Android? Or is the any API that can be blocked on a a rooted tablet?
None I'm aware of. Tried adfree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post

no no man - tell us please. we're all interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanmehta View Post
Are you in the market looking for a High End Mobile and External Storage?

What if i tell you that you can get Samsung Galaxy S II for Rs 26,900 !!! Hmmm.. Interested? Read On..
Sarkar, you will get Indiaplaza bankrupt singlehandedly one of these days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
You battery life will suck during the initial honeymoon days with the phone; due to very high usage. As you move on, it will get better and better. I had times when my battery lasted only 6+ hours due to constant heavy usage, and from the same phone, I could extract 36 hours of battery life weeks later. Now my phone lasts a day with normal usage with some juice to spare for the next cycle of 24 hours.
phone advise or marriage advise?!!

Last edited by phamilyman : 12th July 2011 at 17:03.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:57   #4739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
no no man - tell us please. we're all interested.
You mean Brut Maps right? Please give BETTER instructions than XDA. have gone mad trying to get it work. Failed, so resorted to battery hog Sygic with MMI. Works beautifully, except that 1 journey of 1 hour drains my battery FULLY.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:59   #4740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the listed Budget i would advise any of the 3 below phones depending on your use age and liking. Let me clarify that i am not a android user but have friends who are using one of each and hence i get a lot of play around.

1. HTC WILDFIRE S (INR 13499)
2. MOTOROLA DEFY (INR 15799)
3. SAMSUNG GOOGLE NEXUS ONE. (INR 19999)

Prices in bracket are the priced list on www.letsbuy.com
You can use the coupon code icicilb during check out and avail a further benefit of ~1200 rs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks