Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2011, 04:58   #5476
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Titanium backup is an app which runs within your Android OS and takes full back up of your apps. Cwm is a recovery program which runs above your Android OS and takes a full system image. Both have their own usage and are quite different, IMO
@Clevermax: Thanks for clarifying CMW Backups. I am relieved now , Lightning-ROM here I come.

@GHPK: Thanks for your opinion, however I am looking for a image restore which is not dependent on any app. I have Titanium backup already and maintain a backup in it, but I use this for app/data backup (I'm now sure if all system settings, android homescreen state, contacts and messages etc are backed-up).

As Clevermax said, CMW serves as one tool for backing up everything and would be God-Sent after Factory Reset thats recommended on Flashing a new ROM.
Old 13th August 2011, 11:04   #5477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Clevermax: Thanks for clarifying CMW Backups. I am relieved now , Lightning-ROM here I come.
Liteniing Rom is the best so far. Fantastic, smooth and very impressive. Let me know if you need further help.

I would advice moving to 2.3.4 KG6(If your fone is sgs2) and then going with Litening rom and then Nynphetamine kernal. This definitely makes the system use battery lot better.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 16:09   #5478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Liteniing Rom is the best so far. Fantastic, smooth and very impressive. Let me know if you need further help.

I would advice moving to 2.3.4 KG6(If your fone is sgs2) and then going with Litening rom and then Nynphetamine kernal. This definitely makes the system use battery lot better.
Litening ROM V5. with ninphetamine 2.0.5 kernal is a better choice. I have used v.3, 4.1, .4.2 and found the battery life better on 4.2 compared to 5 but just a bit.
However Litening Rom 5 comes with speedmod kernal which drained my battery quite a bit compared to Ninphetamine kernal.

Also, one can always get rid of the samsung bloatware that can improve battery life to great extent. Have uninstalled most of the apps with the help of Titanium after taking the backup.

Here's a link that can help a lot
https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/su...t=html&ndplr=1

The other advantage is Setcpu with Ninphetamine where one can underclock the Cpu and voltage in other to get max out of the battery.

Also disable the Fast Dormancy, this has helped me with the Airtel network and increased the battery usage.

Last edited by Invinsible : 13th August 2011 at 16:12.
Invinsible is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 17:22   #5479
Senior - BHPian

Dear android gurus,

I'm back after paying a quick visit to a mobile shop near my home, along with my dad. We can across a sparingly used Samsung M110S Galaxy S which is up for sale @ Rs 16.5k, obviously with no warranty card and accessories(except mobile charger and headphone)

I would like to get few queries cleared, before buying this phone :

1) The phone currently runs on Android 2.1 (Eclair). Will I be able to upgrade it to the latest version, say 2.3.3?

2) Is it worth spending Rs 16.5 k on this phone?

Thanks in anticipation.

PS: We've a good relation with the shop owner and have bought multiple phones and other goodies from him. That said, if something goes wrong, he'll surely take back the phone and return the money! For the record, I bought my LG Optimus One P500 from him, for ~ Rs 5.5k
Old 13th August 2011, 17:43   #5480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The other advantage is Setcpu with Ninphetamine where one can underclock the Cpu and voltage in other to get max out of the battery.
Set Cpu is making the phone really slow. Have stopped using them. Happy with atleast 30hrs battery with absolute usage. But i am not the one worrying about batteries. Just re-charge them whenever i can.

Quote:
Also, one can always get rid of the samsung bloatware that can improve battery life to great extent. Have uninstalled most of the apps with the help of Titanium after taking the backup.
Do we need to take a backup. I am just going to uninstall all the crappy bloatwares.
Old 13th August 2011, 18:01   #5481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Litening ROM V5. with ninphetamine 2.0.5 kernal is a better choice. I have used v.3, 4.1, .4.2 and found the battery life better on 4.2 compared to 5 but just a bit.
However Litening Rom 5 comes with speedmod kernal which drained my battery quite a bit compared to Ninphetamine kernal.

Here's a link that can help a lot
https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/su...t=html&ndplr=1

Also disable the Fast Dormancy, this has helped me with the Airtel network and increased the battery usage.
Quote:

Thanks a lot guys, Having you guys and team-bhp on my side is very re-assuring

One Question still remains (hope not too stupid). I see that Litening Rom is rooted, so will I need CMW for flashings,recovery mode,Backup/restore? Or is CMW already present too?
Old 13th August 2011, 19:28   #5482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Set Cpu is making the phone really slow. Have stopped using them. Happy with atleast 30hrs battery with absolute usage. But i am not the one worrying about batteries. Just re-charge them whenever i can.
You'll be amazed what Setcpu can do to the battery usage or even performance. I loose just about 2% overnight in eight hours in sleep mode. With Speedmod kernal lost about 10-12%.
You need to check if your Setcpu is functioning properly, I have had any issue as such when slowed down the phone in any case. Also, check if you have the latest firmware i.e. 2.2.4

Quote:
Do we need to take a backup. I am just going to uninstall all the crappy bloatwares.
Take backup if you think you gonna use the app in future. You could always restore, if not the un-install in straight away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Thanks a lot guys, Having you guys and team-bhp on my side is very re-assuring

One Question still remains (hope not too stupid). I see that Litening Rom is rooted, so will I need CMW for flashings,recovery mode,Backup/restore? Or is CMW already present too?
Almost all custom ROM requires your phone to be rooted. Yes you will need to root it with CF-Root file. You can download the same from xda-developer forum, depending on the firmware you are using.
Though Litening ROM does not require it, I still suggest you do it.
Just download the Litening ROM file and flash it through ODIN and your phone will be rooted. Once download it will reboot and there you have a rooted Phone with Litening ROM.
Old 13th August 2011, 22:00   #5483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Dear android gurus,

I'm back after paying a quick visit to a mobile shop near my home, along with my dad. We can across a sparingly used Samsung M110S Galaxy S which is up for sale @ Rs 16.5k, obviously with no warranty card and accessories(except mobile charger and headphone)

1) The phone currently runs on Android 2.1 (Eclair). Will I be able to upgrade it to the latest version, say 2.3.3?

Thanks in anticipation.

PS: We've a good relation with the shop owner and have bought multiple phones and other goodies from him. That said, if something goes wrong, he'll surely take back the phone and return the money! For the record, I bought my LG Optimus One P500 from him, for ~ Rs 5.5k
You can upgrade but if you brick it, there will be no warranty etc etc.

The phone at 16.5K looks RIP Off as the phone is running eclair its certainly very old
Why not buy Samsung Galaxy S GT Black I9003
for 18699/- from letsbuy.com

Using old phone with such heavy price is nothing else but headache.
the battery would be worn out by now, the hardware is old and may be missing some upgrades.
ghpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 22:47   #5484
BANNED

Quote:
1. You can bargain and ask for it at 1/3 quoted price.

2. Check samfirmware dot com where they list _official_ firmwares for the phone before you buy it. Buy only if samsung themselves provide official firmware.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2011, 00:05   #5485
BHPian

Android Gurus out here need some help form you. My Sister has short listed Samsung Galaxy ACE as it ticks all boxes required by her and within her budget of 13.5K which is the price quoted from a local dealer friend of mine. However, i have read poor battery performance in various reviews all of them have rated it good but battery department is some what lacking. Her usage is 5 -6 calls, 12 -13 sms and 3 -4 hours of music and she does not use internet on her cell. My question is the battery issue taken care in new update as all the reviews that i read had 2.2 froyo is there 2.3 gingerbread updation available ?.

Are there any other alternative's with 13.5 k ?
(Decent looking and a minimum of 5 Mega Pixel Camera)
Nokia and HTC are a strict no from her.

Last edited by driving_smartly : 14th August 2011 at 00:06.
Old 14th August 2011, 07:13   #5486
Senior - BHPian

HTC Wildfire is the only better phone available at that price range. @13.5 the wildfire has greater capability than the ACE. Its HTC and has everything we root and install here for(i meant the HTC Sense like performance )
Old 14th August 2011, 07:36   #5487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Android Gurus out here need some help form you. My Sister has short listed Samsung Galaxy ACE as it ticks all boxes required by her and within her budget of 13.5K which is the price quoted from a local dealer friend of mine. However, i have read poor battery performance in various reviews all of them have rated it good but battery department is some what lacking. Her usage is 5 -6 calls, 12 -13 sms and 3 -4 hours of music and she does not use internet on her cell. My question is the battery issue taken care in new update as all the reviews that i read had 2.2 froyo is there 2.3 gingerbread updation available ?.

Are there any other alternative's with 13.5 k ?
(Decent looking and a minimum of 5 Mega Pixel Camera)
Nokia and HTC are a strict no from her.
If Camera is important (then excuse the likes of Samsung and HTC), and if she can wait a bit then the upcoming SE Xperia Ray would be an excellent choice. 3.3" screen (iphone like pixel density of 300ppi), 8MP shooter of the Arc and the expected price will be about 15k.
Sony Ericsson Xperia ray preview: First look - GSMArena.com

Should be available by next month.
Old 14th August 2011, 10:13   #5488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear android gurus,

Thanks in anticipation.

I am not sure what M110 is, but i recently bought a brand new Samsung Galaxy S i9000 (superAMOLED) for Rs. 19120 from Letsbuy.com
Ofcourse i used a coupon given by a member here - indian21r, and got a discount of about 1900 on the listed price.

Best of all, this phone came preloaded with Android 2.3.3 (Gingerbread).
If i were you, i would increase my budget a 2-3ks and get a brand new S.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2011, 13:07   #5489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010

Don't know how set cpu is making the phone slow. When my display is on, set cpu unleashes the cpu speed and it operates at its max speed. I have no issues with set cpu and it is really helping me to save battery life. IMO, its all in the profiles we set. when my display is off, set cpu reduces the cpu speed to 700mhz and at night, it goes down to 600 mhz, in both cases with a conservative governor. When the display is on, governor is set to "on demand", and max speed is 1ghz.

Last edited by clevermax : 14th August 2011 at 13:08.
Old 14th August 2011, 13:57   #5490
BANNED

Anybody tried USB /wifi tethering to to use your PC's Broadband connection from the mobile??

Over linux?

I can find howtos on doing the things other way around. the PC uses the android device as a modem / whatever to connect to the net.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks