Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 13:52   #5611
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Yes this is Sygic Aura.
And as you said, it drains battery way too much. Compared to this, Google Maps navigation is very kind on battery. Anyway, battery drain is not an issue since I got a car charger. I still need to check it, but I think battery will still be draining a little even when the car charger is connected. The charger can only supply 500 milli amps.
It's not to do with the 500 ma. Even if you keep the phone connected to the car charger all throughout, it WON'T charge the phone. It'll at best just AVOID the battery from draining out completely. So once you disable GPS and disconnect phone from the charger, you'll notice hardly any increase in juice.

P.S. Official or cracked version?
Old 25th August 2011, 14:19   #5612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
It's not to do with the 500 ma. Even if you keep the phone connected to the car charger all throughout, it WON'T charge the phone. It'll at best just AVOID the battery from draining out completely. So once you disable GPS and disconnect phone from the charger, you'll notice hardly any increase in juice.
P.S. Official or cracked version?
When I connect to car charger and keep the phone without running any heavy stuff like navigation, it does get charged, but at a slower rate than wall charger. The rate of charging is exactly same as the rate I get when it is connected to PC's USB port. But if I run navigation, the battery % stays right there even for hours.

My phone draws only 500mA if it knows that it is connected to a USB port. Otherwise if it is connected to a wall charger, it draws much more than that. The phone can distinguish whether its a USB port or wall socket by checking if the data lines are shorted. in a wall charger, the data lines are shorted. In my car charger, they are not. So the phone assumes that it is connected to a USB port of a PC.

I can short circuit the data pins in my car charger but its a risky thing to do because it can only supply maximum of 700mA, but the phone will start drawing more thinking that it is on a wall charger, eventually overheating and blowing my charger.

Not sure if I will be crossing the lines in a forum like this if I answer your last question. I think you got the hint

Last edited by clevermax : 25th August 2011 at 14:31.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:29   #5613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When I connect to car charger and keep the phone without running any heavy stuff like navigation, it does get charged, but at a slower rate than wall charger. The rate of charging is exactly same as the rate I get when it is connected to PC's USB port. But if I run navigation, the battery % stays right there even for hours.
+1
Same thing with my Wildfire.
When connected through car charger it does get charged, though slowly. Even when connected through USB cable to my laptop it charges very slowly.
When connected to wall charger it takes just 1:30 hours for my phone to get completely charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
So once you disable GPS and disconnect phone from the charger, you'll notice hardly any increase in juice.
It might be a factor of two things .
1. GPS and navigation eats up a lot of battery even if for shorter duration.
2. Through car charger, the phone gets slowly charged, hence you will not see much increase in the battery level.

I have used the GPS/navigation continuously for 8 hrs max and the car charger kept the phone sufficiently charged. Try charging your phone through the car charger once without running any GPS/navigation application and then check the difference.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 25th August 2011 at 14:34.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:44   #5614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
+1
Same thing with my Wildfire.
When connected through car charger it does get charged, though slowly. Even when connected through USB cable to my laptop it charges very slowly.
When connected to wall charger it takes just 1:30 hours for my phone to get completely charged.
If your car charger can supply a max current which is more than your phone draws while plugged into an AC socket charger, then you can safely short circuit the data pins inside your car charger and you will get a charging rate equal to the AC socket charging.

Its an easy thing to do if you have a soldering iron.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:56   #5615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like I said earlier - GPS drains battery and charger just prevents the battery from draining out completely.
Quote:
Not sure if I will be crossing the lines in a forum like this if I answer your last question. I think you got the hint
Can you PM me the link?
Old 25th August 2011, 15:01   #5616
Senior - BHPian

Nishant - both look fantastic. Why not see what's available at Lamington road?

Maybe i'm the only one whose phone charges while navigating!
Old 25th August 2011, 15:52   #5617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Nishant - both look fantastic. Why not see what's available at Lamington road?

Lamington Road is the other end of the city for me Isn't that why we all prefer online shopping?
Old 25th August 2011, 15:56   #5618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
Hey nexus s charges through mmi charger. Im using a mini usb to micro usb pin converter .
Old 25th August 2011, 15:58   #5619
BHPian

just ordered Motto defy in letsbuy @ 14.3K. eagerly waiting for delivery, got bored with HTC Touch HD and waiting to take my first android phone. Any idea, what is the delivery period in chennai?
Old 25th August 2011, 16:41   #5620
BHPian

Hey does anyone know of an app developer for android (hope this is not the wrong place for this post) can anyone send me a contact / message me. Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 16:43   #5621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishaanranderia View Post
Hey does anyone know of an app developer for android (hope this is not the wrong place for this post) can anyone send me a contact / message me. Thanks
Looking for a freelancer to develop something? I can be one
Old 25th August 2011, 16:46   #5622
BHPian

Quote:
Looking for a freelancer to develop something? I can be one
Ive sent you a message, kindly check it
Old 25th August 2011, 17:06   #5623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes this is Sygic Aura.
And as you said, it drains battery way too much. Compared to this, Google Maps navigation is very kind on battery. Anyway, battery drain is not an issue since I got a car charger. I still need to check it, but I think battery will still be draining a little even when the car charger is connected. The charger can only supply 500 milli amps.
I have been playing with Sygic for the last couple of days or so. The map download was a whopping 450 MB!

The performance on my Defy was sluggish when I used it first. Then I went into Sygic settings and set the performance parameter to high (or something similar). This eats up battery before you can spell b.a.t.t.e.r.y (just exaggerating, but you get the point). Now the performance of the application on my phone is good after this change.

Overall the maps are very good. One major advantage of this over Google maps is that this is completely offline - hence no data charges once the maps are downloaded. The cost (if you are interested) is around Rs. 2000 for the maps. However, when I checked with the MapMyIndia chat line, they said you cannot transfer the license to another instrument in case you decide to change instrument later. As a result, I have postponed plans to purchase the software till I do more research.

As far as charging is concerned, there is a Belkin product that I am looking to purchase (price at Lamington Road was around Rs. 1400 a few months ago).
Belkin : AC Anywhere + USB port + 200W

This can be used to supply power to my mobile and my video player at the same time.
Any reviews?

Edit: Still no comments on mobile data security? What solutions are available to put a boot password or encrypt data on phone in the Android world?
Old 25th August 2011, 17:17   #5624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
As far as charging is concerned, there is a Belkin product that I am looking to purchase (price at Lamington Road was around Rs. 1400 a few months ago).
Belkin : AC Anywhere + USB port + 200W

This can be used to supply power to my mobile and my video player at the same time.
Any reviews?
I have purchased this item and you can have a look at the detailed photos and price here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2481347 I have also purchased a Belkin FM transmitter @750/-; Details and photos here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2478181
Old 25th August 2011, 18:43   #5625
BHPian

Any news on 2.3.4 update on Galaxy S2.
Exceptions are real high after Steve Kondik has joined Samsung.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks