Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2011, 22:01   #5596
BANNED

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I've a user id (mix of alphabets and numbers ) and pin which I got when I tried to register for mobile banking.
Is anyone using SBI mobile banking on android phones? If so, can you please let me know the complete process? Thanks in advance.
Mobile Banking has to be enabled on your account. That can be done only from the branch where you have the account. If you have used Mobile Banking on this account earlier, yes, you need to go to advice given below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
I am using SBI mobile banking application not on Android but on my E71, try putting the login id after which if your are able to enter the application the 2nd last option has "Settings" please enter into that you should see "Change Channel" make it to Gprs then again come back to "Settings" option you will see register option over there and you need to register the details and you are done.
If GPRS is not enables, the phone / app will use SMS - will cost premium SMS rates.

Quote:
Might be that Android Application may differ from the application on E71 just tried to contribute my 2 cents
UI and features are identical. But, yes, they are different - in same way applications for Linux and WIndows are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejus.s View Post
I'm skeptical about android mainly because of the hardware becoming obsolete in a few months after launch.
Pray, in what way is this "feature" of hardware obsolescence unique to android devices?
Old 24th August 2011, 22:09   #5597
BHPian

Well, there seems to be a new version of android every month and 1GHz processors also seem to be insufficient. The Apple eco-system seems to be have better backward compatibility. So, for instance it might make sense to buy an ipod touch and a regular phone if carrying two devices is not a problem.
tejus.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 22:21   #5598
Senior - BHPian

Guys - what's your opinion on NEW 7" ANDROID 2.3 TABLET FLASH 10.2 512M SAMSUNG PV210 | eBay

Specs look quite tempting - Gingerbread, Wifi, 3G, Cortex A8 ARM11-Samsung S5PV210 @ 1.2GHz, 7" TFT Capacitive Multitouch Screen, 3-Axis Gyro 360° Sensor, 512MB DDR2 RAM etc.

Applying the coupon of the week, it's coming at 12.3k.

Worth the money?
Old 25th August 2011, 00:17   #5599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
1. Not required
2. Yes
3. Clockworkmod recovery takes a "nandroid" backup i.e system files. You can use it to restore/reinstall the system from scratch, not titanium., Titanium backs up all files including user applications.
4. 2nd init contains CWM
5. Remember to wipe before installing or even after just to be sure.

If you have a bootloop, wipe cache in recovery.

Yes, the instructions are crystal clear.

You need root privileges to install 2nd init. Just install 2nd init, reboot as they are saying.

Then install as they are saying (basically you are installing from a backup) which is quite simple. Though yes, CM7 is simpler. Doubt anyone of us can help u on this though - you'd have to ask questions on that thread only!
What is confusing me is the fixed SBF's. Not all of the ROMS that are on XDA for the Defy have fixed SBFs. From what i understand, if i install a full SBF of the new ROM, i cant go back to my original Android version. But how do i know which fixed SBF to use.
Old 25th August 2011, 01:23   #5600
BHPian

Quote:
Well, there seems to be a new version of android every month and 1GHz processors also seem to be insufficient. The Apple eco-system seems to be have better backward compatibility. So, for instance it might make sense to buy an ipod touch and a regular phone if carrying two devices is not a problem.

There ISN'T a new version every month and even the latest version (gingerbread) works Fine on two year old devices .And every successive version is overall faster on every kind of hardware.

Try installing IOS 5.0 on an apple 3G And then comment
Old 25th August 2011, 06:33   #5601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Guys - what's your opinion on NEW 7" ANDROID 2.3 TABLET FLASH 10.2 512M SAMSUNG PV210 | eBay

Specs look quite tempting - Gingerbread, Wifi, 3G, Cortex A8 ARM11-Samsung S5PV210 @ 1.2GHz, 7" TFT Capacitive Multitouch Screen, 3-Axis Gyro 360° Sensor, 512MB DDR2 RAM etc.

Applying the coupon of the week, it's coming at 12.3k.

Worth the money?
accha toh hai kaafi mere bhai - but LOL Dude, the ebay linkie said at a never before price of 10990

"The 'Dropad A8' is@ an unbelievable price of Rs.10990/-"

Quote:
Absolutely wrong. Its a myth. Android is open source and releases happen at the earliest - that doesn't mean that its not backward compatible. None of that. Rapid Hardware obsolescence is a way of life in the mobile phone industry all these years - what's new?

I run a Motorola Defy with a lowly 800 mhz processor and it does everything I need without ANY lag. Of course, the SGS II is almost instantaneous - but then you pay twice and get the absolutely latest hardware. Unlike Apple who is charging 34k for its year old hardware on the back of its lovely software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
What is confusing me is the fixed SBF's. Not all of the ROMS that are on XDA for the Defy have fixed SBFs. From what i understand, if i install a full SBF of the new ROM, i cant go back to my original Android version. But how do i know which fixed SBF to use.
Of course, the reason you have a fixed SBF is because there are two ways to load a custom ROM:
  • Fixed SBF - Done via the bootloader. The new ROM won't have a full SBF only re. Fixed SBF is like installing a patch/update - the base distribution remains same and only few files change. Since u flash a fixed SBF - your base version is unchanged. Even if you had flashed a full Froyo SBF - You can still go back to your Froyo version because the FULL SBF is available, so chill. Your fears are unfounded.
  • ClockWorkMod recovery - The vastly preferred method because the bootloader method is risky (what if power goes/gets disconnected in that short period) in the hands of users who don't know what they're doing. In custom recovery, you install from a ZIP file on SD card, which CWM then copies onto the phone.
You chose a less used ROM - stop worrying and just do as they say. If you're still scared, CM7/MIUI are available
Old 25th August 2011, 08:40   #5602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180

There ISN'T a new version every month and even the latest version (gingerbread) works Fine on two year old devices .And every successive version is overall faster on every kind of hardware.
Yes, Rightly said. Google's nexus one still runs better than so many phones...
Old 25th August 2011, 09:18   #5603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku
Yes, Rightly said. Google's nexus one still runs better than so many phones...
Second that. I am just not finding a phone capable of replacing my n1. Sgs2 for all it's hype just is another phone that is hardly better that the N1. I loaded miui on the n1 with darktremors' a2sd script and happy as a fish in water. And what's more the miui themes simply rock.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:01   #5604
BHPian

Thanks for all the info BHPians. I guess the reviewers of today get carried away with the latest hardware to the extent that they make a year old phones sound obsolete.

It's reassuring to know from users themselves here. This must help me solve my android dilemma. Thanks again.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:12   #5605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
accha toh hai kaafi mere bhai - but LOL Dude, the ebay linkie said at a never before price of 10990

"The 'Dropad A8' is@ an unbelievable price of Rs.10990/-"
The same seller has multiple variants and tablets on sale. I guess he mixed up all of them. But when I buy, it'll apply the price on top (i.e. 12990).

But what say on the specs? Worth as a time-pass gadget?
Old 25th August 2011, 11:43   #5606
Senior - BHPian

This just in.

X10.com - AirPad 7" Android Tablet PC running Android 2.3, with Flash 10.1 with a 7" 800x480 resolution TFT LCD Capacitive multi-touch, 5 point touch screen.

Features and Specs:
  • CPU: 1.2 Ghz Rockchip 2918 Cortex A8 processor + 600 Mhz DSP
  • Display: 7″ 800×480 resolution TFT LCD screen
  • Touch-screen: Capacitive multi-touch, 5 point touch
  • Camera: 2 Megapixel camera with video recording and playback
  • Sensors: 3-axis accelerometer
  • RAM: 512 MB
  • Memory: 4 GB onboard, up to 32 GB with microSD card
  • Battery Life: 6 hours movie, 6 hours music, 4 hours WIFI Internet access
  • Network: WiFi (802.11b/g)
  • Ports: HDMI supporting 1080P output, USB
  • Size: 195 mm x 120 mm x 13 mm, Weight 400g (14 oz)
  • Battery: 4000 mAh rechargeable lithium polymer
Old 25th August 2011, 12:09   #5607
Senior - BHPian

Got Sygic maps working in my phone. Drove to office with the Navigation on.

Name:  snap20110825_111847.png
Views: 957
Size:  135.1 KB

Some initial observations:

1) Not detailed as Google maps
2) UI is much better than Google maps Navigation
3) Voice is much clear and crisp and can be easily understood.
4) If you are in a place where Sygic has no road listed, it tries to snap onto nearby roads frantically - if there are two or three roads around, UI acts up in a funny way.
5) Information displayed like speed limits, nearest petrol pumps and speed traps are very useful.
Old 25th August 2011, 12:25   #5608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Got Sygic maps working in my phone. Drove to office with the Navigation on.

Attachment 599312

Some initial observations:

1) Not detailed as Google maps
2) UI is much better than Google maps Navigation
3) Voice is much clear and crisp and can be easily understood.
4) If you are in a place where Sygic has no road listed, it tries to snap onto nearby roads frantically - if there are two or three roads around, UI acts up in a funny way.
5) Information displayed like speed limits, nearest petrol pumps and speed traps are very useful.
This looks like Sygic Aura? Is this an official version or (cracked one) from the forums?

Yes, Sygic is not as detailed as Google Maps (in fact, nothing is as detailed as GM!) But it drains battery like crazy. That was the only reason I uninstalled it.

I've been a Sygic fan since Nokia E71 days, but sadly on Android, it heats up my phone in no time, drains battery, and caused frequent program crashes/FC errors (IIRC Amit also faced the same issues on his XCD35)
Old 25th August 2011, 13:15   #5609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
This looks like Sygic Aura? Is this an official version or (cracked one) from the forums?
Yes, Sygic is not as detailed as Google Maps (in fact, nothing is as detailed as GM!) But it drains battery like crazy. That was the only reason I uninstalled it.
I've been a Sygic fan since Nokia E71 days, but sadly on Android, it heats up my phone in no time, drains battery, and caused frequent program crashes/FC errors (IIRC Amit also faced the same issues on his XCD35)
Yes this is Sygic Aura.
And as you said, it drains battery way too much. Compared to this, Google Maps navigation is very kind on battery. Anyway, battery drain is not an issue since I got a car charger. I still need to check it, but I think battery will still be draining a little even when the car charger is connected. The charger can only supply 500 milli amps.
Old 25th August 2011, 13:41   #5610
BANNED

Anybody knows what is required to connect to net through public WiFi spots?

Quote:

My "spanking new" Mini runs a 600Mhz processor. I have underclocked it to 4XX and will upscale as required. It came with 2.2.1 Froyo, and runs 2.3.3 Gingerbread. 2.3.4 gingerbread is available. That is the latest version.

If I go for custom ROMs, at least 2 beta ROMs are available. What with 40+ hours between recharges @ approx 20-25 calls per day 4 - 5 SMSes, what more can I ask for when the need is for a typical phone?

Even yesterday, when the phone was fully recharged @ 9 AM, it had 2X% battery life remaining after a 5 hour train journey, which included 1/2 hour GPS, 1/2 hour GPRS session, 4-5 calls (< 2 mins), and several SMSes + 1 hour music listening. The nokia X2 or xpress music before would not come any close to that. Battery would be flat by end of this journey.

2x% yesterday evening . Today morning, it was showing 17%. And GPRS was on full time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks