Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 20:25   #5626
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Got my S2 finally today. Unboxed it eagerly. First impressions:

1. Awesome display.
2. Device is a bit big for me. I am moving from SE W960i to S2
3. Very light
4. The plastic for the rear cover is an eyesore. The quality is appalling. I know Samsung wanted to make the phone as light as possible but please!
5. The bundled Molife cover is good. I anyway got a screen protector for good measure. Have ordered Case Mate for S2 from Flipcart.

Will use it more and update. Next thing to do is to root it and add a customer ROM. Any suggestion for a Custom ROM?

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 25th August 2011 at 20:26. Reason: Spelling
Old 25th August 2011, 23:25   #5627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The plastic for the rear cover is an eyesore. The quality is appalling. I know Samsung wanted to make the phone as light as possible but please!
Have you heard of any complaint from actual users on the rear cover. Till date from the date of purchase the rear cover is not even a eyesore and rather never opened unless i am doing a rom update.

Quote:
Next thing to do is to root it and add a customer ROM. Any suggestion for a Custom ROM?
Litening rom with Ninphetamine kernal and KG6 is what some of us are using.

The next XXKH3, Litening rom 6 and Ninph are already out. Litening 6 has NInph pre-loaded if i am right. Very stable rom that gives 1.5tiume better battery
Old 26th August 2011, 05:33   #5628
Senior - BHPian

My brothers S2 has conked off just after 3 months of ownership, the phone does not start. He is yet to take it to Samsung repair shop but has anyone seen S2 going bad so soon.

My Galaxy i9003 is going strong for last 6 months, and my friends S2 is doing well for last 2 months. S2 has really large screen and excellent display and really really fast, recently we did a webex meeting on his S2 and came out well. So in my brothers case it may be a bad unit.
Old 26th August 2011, 09:06   #5629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
If your car charger can supply a max current which is more than your phone draws while plugged into an AC socket charger, then you can safely short circuit the data pins inside your car charger and you will get a charging rate equal to the AC socket charging.

Its an easy thing to do if you have a soldering iron.
Rather than going for shorting the data line, how about this USB charger available online ? As per the ratings, it can give 1000 mA @ 5V.

Car Cigarette Powered 1000mA USB Adapter/Charger - Black (DC 12V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
Old 26th August 2011, 09:09   #5630
BHPian

hey Guys

Samsung S2 on sale at 25075 INR after applying the below coupon code

Just go to this link
mydala - Pay Rs 29499 for Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 worth Rs 32890 only at mydala. Express your true style with this Slim, Suave & Sexy technological wonder!

use the coupon code MYMONSOON you will get 20% disocunt.
Old 26th August 2011, 09:55   #5631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh
Got my S2 finally today. Unboxed it eagerly. First impressions:

1. Awesome display.
2. Device is a bit big for me. I am moving from SE W960i to S2
3. Very light
4. The plastic for the rear cover is an eyesore. The quality is appalling. I know Samsung wanted to make the phone as light as possible but please!
5. The bundled Molife cover is good. I anyway got a screen protector for good measure. Have ordered Case Mate for S2 from Flipcart.

Will use it more and update. Next thing to do is to root it and add a customer ROM. Any suggestion for a Custom ROM?
Nice! Congratulations on your device. IMO, yes the back cover is flimsy, but once its fixed at its place, it doesnt even look like it could be that flexible. Anyways you are going to use it with a case. Which casemate case did you order?

And may i ask, why do you want a custom ROM? Any specific reasons or just the tinker urge? I realized this is the first device on which i havent felt a need for custom ROM yet!!
Old 26th August 2011, 11:15   #5632
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

My friend purchased the The LG Optimus 2x yesterday. The fone is really nice to use and feels premium. The fone has come with Android 2.2 (FROYO) pre loaded and it says UPGRADEABLE TO GB 2.3 We are unable to find a method or means to do the same.

how do we upgrade the OS? Is it done OTA or via PC?

all inputs will be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Old 26th August 2011, 11:31   #5633
BANNED

LG optimus 2X:-

Optimus 2x Android Development - xda-developers
Old 26th August 2011, 12:39   #5634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Have you heard of any complaint from actual users on the rear cover. Till date from the date of purchase the rear cover is not even a eyesore and rather never opened unless i am doing a rom update.

Litening rom with Ninphetamine kernal and KG6 is what some of us are using.

The next XXKH3, Litening rom 6 and Ninph are already out. Litening 6 has NInph pre-loaded if i am right. Very stable rom that gives 1.5tiume better battery
Yes its litening V6.1 that comes with Ninphetamine 2.0.5 but the battery sucks on it. Upload ninphetamine 2.1.1 or 2.1.2 kernal with it or even better get Speedmod T27 kernal that gives out better battery life. Currently testing V6.1 with Nin.2.0.2, already tried it with Speedmod T27. However T27 does not gives the option of under volting just allows underclocking.
Overall V.6.1 is much smoother than the V.5 or V.6.0
In the end don't forget to load the CSC file for India that is KF3 for better network reception.

The other ROMs that one can opt for are MIUI, Leomar75-Revolution 2.6, sensation, CriskeloromV14, Cynogenmod7 however it is has few bugs running with bluetooth, wifi and other and is still under development.

Last edited by Invinsible : 26th August 2011 at 12:47.
Old 26th August 2011, 13:14   #5635
Senior - BHPian

Here's a thread which can help to understand result of different kernals in terms of battery life.
[Benchmark] Battle for Battery Life - xda-developers
Old 26th August 2011, 15:26   #5636
BANNED

Is video conferencing possible without 3G?

Edit:- Not sure if angry Anna is available for Android.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...ow/9745560.cms

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 26th August 2011 at 15:39.
Old 26th August 2011, 18:56   #5637
BHPian

Guys

I find that my yahoo mail id is hacked into & spam messages are sent to all contacts in my list.

I doubt if it is the PC since the time stamp on these messages coincides with the time my pc is switched off.

I think it is my defy that is hacked into since i have configured yahoo mail access in & it is always connected to the internet.

i run default 2.2 rooted and limited apps (teambhp, talking tom, setcpu & lookout security antivirus).

will a change in operating system put an end to this, it is embarrassing to have spam mails sent out to all contacts in my list, some of whom are professionally related.
Old 26th August 2011, 19:23   #5638
BHPian

I had a very small query. I have an LG Optimus One, running on Android 2.2. I am planning to upgrade it to the official 2.3 GingerBread release. I was confused would I lose all my applications i've installed on my phone? I have NDrive installed, which was provided as a default application by LG. If I upgrade my version, will my applications get erased and I have to reinstall each and every application individually again?
Old 26th August 2011, 19:59   #5639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvprasad View Post

I think it is my defy that is hacked into since i have configured yahoo mail access in & it is always connected to the internet.

will a change in operating system put an end to this, it is embarrassing to have spam mails sent out to all contacts in my list, some of whom are professionally related.
Have you tried switching off your data connection and then checking if your yahoo mail is still sending spam?

Hack on a Android phone to send spam is still very difficult. I dont know of any malware that does that.
Old 26th August 2011, 22:53   #5640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Nice! Congratulations on your device. IMO, yes the back cover is flimsy, but once its fixed at its place, it doesnt even look like it could be that flexible. Anyways you are going to use it with a case. Which casemate case did you order?

And may i ask, why do you want a custom ROM? Any specific reasons or just the tinker urge? I realized this is the first device on which i havent felt a need for custom ROM yet!!
I have ordered this:

CaseMate Galaxy S2 SM GLXYSIIBT-BLK

It came highly recommended. But the Molife cover came bundled with the phone.It also have a case and holster. So i will end up with 2 covers!

Well the need to change the ROM is for 2 reasons. The touch Wiz 4 sucks in my opinion. I have been using HTC Desire HD in the office for few months. It has HTC Sense 2.x running 2.3.3 Ginger bread. I just love the clutter free and very BRIGHT interface. The touch wiz, in my opinion, is very dull and uninspiring. Also, i see lot of bloatware eating up valuable space and network bandwidth. Plus, what use is an Android phone if you are not going to root it? I will tinker with the ROMs and check out which one works for me.

Most Viewed