Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 17:06   #4096
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I came across these tablets on Ebay. Was contemplating buying a cheap tab just for fun, portability and GPS. What do you guys suggest?

1. NEW 7" ANDROID 2.3 TABLET FLASH 10.2 512M SAMSUNG PV210 | eBay
2. 10" GPS Google Android 2.2 512MB HDMI Tablet aPad 1GHz | eBay
3. 7" Google Android Tablet Netbook PC aPad MID MP3 MP4 | eBay

The expected usage is *purely* navigation, games (Angry Birds et al) and movies.
I am also on the lookout for a tablet, just for fun's sake and portability. Item no-2 sounds especially tempting.
Does it make sense to go for it+a leather keyboard case ?
Old 20th June 2011, 17:19   #4097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I am also on the lookout for a tablet, just for fun's sake and portability. Item no-2 sounds especially tempting.
Does it make sense to go for it+a leather keyboard case ?
Yeah man.

Android 2.2 Froyo, GPS, 512MB RAM, WiFi, HDMI, 3G, 10.2" Display, Built-In Android Market, 32GB Expandable Memory Slot, 1GHz CPU.

10k. With an Ebay discount coupon, it maybe around 9-9.5k. sounds like a deal! And the Leather Case cum Keyboard makes it even more tempting.

I know its a Chinese thing, but quite a deal I must say.

Can one install custom ROMs / GB / ROM upgrades effortlessly? I guess shouldnt be a problem?
Old 20th June 2011, 17:26   #4098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah man.

Android 2.2 Froyo, GPS, 512MB RAM, WiFi, HDMI, 3G, 10.2" Display, Built-In Android Market, 32GB Expandable Memory Slot, 1GHz CPU.

10k. With an Ebay discount coupon, it maybe around 9-9.5k. sounds like a deal! And the Leather Case cum Keyboard makes it even more tempting.

I know its a Chinese thing, but quite a deal I must say.

Can one install custom ROMs / GB / ROM upgrades effortlessly? I guess shouldnt be a problem?
A few reviews of the Flytouch 3 on the net dont seem very promising. Some people report lesser than the specified RAM as well.
Also read people installing custom ROMS , improving things slightly. If you do indeed go for it, please let me know how was the experience. I will then order one too!
Old 20th June 2011, 17:31   #4099
BHPian

Guys, I'm looking for a fairly decent spec'd android phone in the 10-15k price range. This will be my first android phone (or smart phone for that matter) and I plan to use the phone for atleast 2-3 yrs. So please chip in with your suggestions.

My requirements
1. Would want the phone to have a decent spec as it has to cater my needs and cope with the technological advancements (atleast to some extent) for the next 2 yrs atleast.
2. As of today I dont use internet on phone but i am hoping the pattern will change. So would like the phone to have a good battery backup and browsing support.
3. Would like the phone to have sturdy build.
4. Decent service backup

So far HTC Wildfire S and Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 have made it to the shortlist. Does anybody on the forum own any of these phones or have reasonable experience using them phones ?

Also, does anybody have experience purchasing phones on credit cards with 3, 6, 9 months emi's with 0% interest ?

Last edited by donarun : 20th June 2011 at 17:34.
Old 20th June 2011, 17:50   #4100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Guys, I'm looking for a fairly decent spec'd android phone in the 10-15k price range. This will be my first android phone (or smart phone for that matter) and I plan to use the phone for atleast 2-3 yrs. So please chip in with your suggestions.

My requirements
1. Would want the phone to have a decent spec as it has to cater my needs and cope with the technological advancements (atleast to some extent) for the next 2 yrs atleast.
2. As of today I dont use internet on phone but i am hoping the pattern will change. So would like the phone to have a good battery backup and browsing support.
4. Decent service backup

So far HTC Wildfire S and Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 have made it to the shortlist. Does anybody on the forum own any of these phones or have reasonable experience using them phones ?

Also, does anybody have experience purchasing phones on credit cards with 3, 6, 9 months emi's with 0% interest ?
I own Galaxy Ace and am quite happy with it. Only down side is of it's battery life. If use it as phone, its quite good but if use it as Android phone, I guess it dies little early.

I did much study before buying this and almost finalized HTC Wildfire but if that's compared with Galaxy Ace, I doubt anyone will go for Wildfire. It's no doubt looks much rough and touch compare to samsung but the UI of Ace is far far better. If ready to spend couple of thousands more Galaxy Ace is better choice. I guess Wildfire was around 12k and Ace was 15k when I bought it.

Pradip.
Old 20th June 2011, 18:16   #4101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
I did much study before buying this and almost finalized HTC Wildfire but if that's compared with Galaxy Ace, I doubt anyone will go for Wildfire. It's no doubt looks much rough and touch compare to samsung but the UI of Ace is far far better. If ready to spend couple of thousands more Galaxy Ace is better choice. I guess Wildfire was around 12k and Ace was 15k when I bought it.

Pradip.
Pradip, I was comparing Wildfire "S" (priced at 13.5k) to Ace. I agree that the old Wildfire (which now sells for 10.5k) is not really a match for the Ace.
Couple of things,
IMO, +ve's of Ace are better screen(16M), 800Mhz processor, stronger battery while -ve's are 158MB internal memory, plastic build. +ve's of Wildfire S are 512MB RAM & 512MB ROM, sturdy build while its -ve's are Ace's +ve's. Plus the Wildfire S has the latest Sense UI from HTC. This, they say is very good to use.

Last edited by donarun : 20th June 2011 at 18:21.
Old 20th June 2011, 19:07   #4102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun

My requirements
4. Decent service backup

I guess you should also look at motorola defy. With discount code u can get that for around 13.8k from letsbuy. For your 3rd point Defy fits in best.

2 of my friends bought wildfire S an are extremely happy with it. They are both basic users an find everything perfect. The HTC Sense I very impressive. One of them is a ex iPhone user and is finding the WFS better than iPhone in several ways.

Go to a store. Play with all the shortlisted phones and pick the one that you like the most. Each user is different. Buy what you like and what suits your day to day needs.

Cheers!!!

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 20th June 2011 at 19:09.
Old 20th June 2011, 20:01   #4103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^How do you define VFM? Comparing with the Optimus One, all that the Wildfire S offers is Gorilla Glass, higher MP cam (which according to reviews is not that great). On the other hand it gives a lower capacity battery. One of my friends bought one about a week ago and his battery is not lasting even from morning till late evening (With everything turned off and several short calls). If this is worth the significantly higher price tag is for buyers to decide.

That said, the Optimus One has a series problem with dust with no clear indication that it has been solved even in newer handsets.

Speed.Demon, would suggest you increase your budget slightly and go for the Defy. But don't count on Moto for the 2.3 update.
HTC phones are usually on the pricier side. This one is on the lower side of the 13k range, so i think thats pretty good. Your friend might have a bum battery because all the reviews are saying it gets about 2 days max on the battery. That said, even im in the process of deciding between the Wildfire S and Defy.
Old 20th June 2011, 20:04   #4104
Senior - BHPian

I would strongly advice people to not to go for Samsung Galaxy SL GT i9003. The phone has absolutely no dev support what so ever. I somehow feel cheated by all the websites and even samsung by saying they just changed the screen. Obviously it is not the same as GT i 9000.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2011, 20:21   #4105
BHPian

Is the original Desire still available anywhere?
Old 20th June 2011, 20:25   #4106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My requirements
4. Decent service backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
I own Galaxy Ace and am quite happy with it. Only down side is of it's battery life. If use it as phone, its quite good but if use it as Android phone, I guess it dies little early.

Pradip.
Quote:
Pradip, I was comparing Wildfire "S" (priced at 13.5k) to Ace. I agree that the old Wildfire (which now sells for 10.5k) is not really a match for the Ace.
Couple of things,
IMO, +ve's of Ace are better screen(16M), 800Mhz processor, stronger battery while -ve's are 158MB internal memory, plastic build. +ve's of Wildfire S are 512MB RAM & 512MB ROM, sturdy build while its -ve's are Ace's +ve's. Plus the Wildfire S has the latest Sense UI from HTC. This, they say is very good to use.
I own a Galaxy Ace. I have no qualms against the build quality. In fact I find it quite sturdy and metallic (who said its plasticky?). The battery life on stock ROM with no tweaks is bad. But with minor adjustment, I was able to bump it beyond 1 day. Now with official GB installed, I easily get 1.5 days at least. This is with EDGE on 24x7 and no GPS or WiFi. BT is case based, but around 1-2 hours daily (during driving).

You are right on the -ives: The low internal memory is indeed a bad feature.

EDIT - The HCL ME TABLET AE7-A1 is for 9.9k on Letsbuy after applying discount coupon. Good buy?
http://www.letsbuy.com/hcl-me-tablet-ae7a1-p-15891

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 20th June 2011 at 20:36.
Old 20th June 2011, 21:21   #4107
BHPian

I was contemplating on buying me a sony ericsson walkman w8.
Its for 11k in the authorised dealer in my city.

I have always been a fan of sony ericsson.
currently i use a sony ericsson w660i.

I am a final year engg student who loves to browse the net.

My requirements are,
1.it should have a stable OS which should make sure i enjoy the phone to my best without any visits to the service centre for at least a year.
2.as i use net a lot on my cell with opera mini , i would really want to know how android 2.1 fares in browsing.

3. I sms chat above an average user
4. I have stretched my budget to reach till this phone.I wish to be content with the phone for some time atleast.
5.as i connect my phone to car HU via aux i would like a clear sound output.
At present my heart jumps for this phone but I want to know from more experienced team members , will buying this phone be really worthwhile?
Old 21st June 2011, 00:18   #4108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I would strongly advice people to not to go for Samsung Galaxy SL GT i9003. The phone has absolutely no dev support what so ever. I somehow feel cheated by all the websites and even samsung by saying they just changed the screen. Obviously it is not the same as GT i 9000.

Could you give us some examples on how different it is from SGS ? Im curious as they have just changed the screen and all other HW is still the same as SGS. So any update for SGS will also be the same for SGSL too. Aint it ?

BTW, i own a SGS..
Old 21st June 2011, 00:33   #4109

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
Is the original Desire still available anywhere?
You can consider HTC Desire. It is available online at a very tempting price of Rs 15,000. It's still selling at 22K at other places. HTC Desire A8181 | HTC Mobile Phones | Saholic.com
It's one of the much loved HTC Phone & Great Specs at this price. Plus HTC has now announced that Gingerbread is coming for it finally. Conside specs, Price, HTC Sense, Dev support.
1 Ghz Processor, 512MB ROM, 576MB RAM, 3.7", 480x800 Touchscreen, 5 MP AutoFocus with Flash, 3G, Wi-Fi, G-Sensor, Digital compass, Proximity sensor, Ambient light sensor, Bluetooth, FM, GPS

Quote:
EDIT - The HCL ME TABLET AE7-A1 is for 9.9k on Letsbuy after applying discount coupon. Good buy?
Buy HCL ME TABLET AE7-A1 at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews
No.. Don't go for it. Resistive Touchscreen.
Old 21st June 2011, 01:04   #4110
BHPian

Nope

The chipset/GPU/Processor/screen are all different

Apart from the exterior the SL is a completely different phone

And since it was released only for asian 3rd world countries DEV support is almost zero.with NO custom roms so far

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks