Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2011, 23:53   #4231

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hello guys i have been using android Gingerbread on my HTC HD2 for a while, and its great!!!!!!!!!!!
here is a video i made on it!!

It (HD2) can also run Ubuntu Linux on it.........

Old 25th June 2011, 00:10   #4232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
I recently upgraded my Galaxy S ( the superamoled one ) to the official samsung gingerbread 2.3 and the performance improvement is clearly noticable. Everything feels superslick.
hey guys,
i have been trying to update my sgs to gingerbread but i am gettin error-"cannot access model information server". has someone faced something similar?any solutions?
thnx
Old 25th June 2011, 00:42   #4233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
My friend is looking for his first android phone. Budget is 15K and it should have a good camera. Shortlisted Motorola Defy (14.5K after discount @ letsbuy.com).

Is it a good option and deal?
Why not HTC Desire classic? specs here
Old 25th June 2011, 01:32   #4234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Thanks for your quick reply. Well, I'll slightly alter my question. Is it better to go for iPhone or not? If yes, should I go for iPhone 4 now or wait for the next version of the iphone to be released in Sep 2011. If Not, choice is between SGS2 and HTC Sensation. Thanks.
I shifted from E71 to SGS2 and must say S2 is thee best phone around if you looking at android phone. No issues with typing on the large touchscreen. Apart from that Brilliant display and good cam quality. If there is one thing that I din't like is the battery takes long hours to charge up.
There are many customization skin available from android market like Go launcher EX, Launcher Pro and prefer the Go Launcher EX over the touchwiz.
Old 25th June 2011, 10:14   #4235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
I was planning to go to Croma in a day or two to have a feel of the handset. Another noob query, say the phone comes with 2.1 version android, can we upgrade to 2.3 straight away ? And if for some reason we want to downgrade to 2.1 / 2.2, would that be possible ?
YesWeCan - [FAQ] Cyanogenmod 7 by Quarx - xda-developers

For 2.2 - its downgradeable by default. just flash the default india ROM and you are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
The Defy is now one of the best VFM android buys out there.

The only problem is the insanely high SAR values when compared to the competition.
Not really. You must see it in context. The BB and the Nokia's Eseries (71/63) are high as well as the previous generation.

And like samurai says, its within the US govt recommendation - who would surely be overly cautious when it comes to such standards. Of course, if it was the indian govt standard, then i'd be fearful. Its okay.

Ofc, if your work anyways requires keeping the phone to the ear all the time you can't use an android

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
any one looking for an entry level VFM android, rush to letsbuy.

Samsung Pop , white edition , on sale for Rs.4750, brand new with b & w .

Normally sells for 7.5 to 8 K .

have No idea how they can sell it so cheap!
no man. its a bit too VFM. Its the really too entry level. Ideally entry level is the optimus or the XCD35. Entry level should be the kind which can run a few games etc without lag. Think 600mhz/512 mb RAM. Below that, its a non smartphone domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Received my HTC Sensation this evening! Thanks Letsbuy for the very prompt service.

Played with it till battery dropped to 4%. Now have hooked it up for overnnight charging.

First impressions:
1. Device is mind-blowingly beautiful! It is the katrina Kaif of the mobile phone world!
2. Its incredibly slim but at the same time feels very well built!
3. The screen is just awesome! qHD resolution makes it possible to read even the smallest of letters! The colors too are pretty good. I just cant even imagine how good the sAMOLED+ of S2 must be, given that it is percieved to be better looking than S-LCD.
4. It is fast! And I mean it. i was up an running in 5 mins, and the phone set up all the wifi and network settings (I have a gprs connection) in no time. Browing on wifi was pure bliss.
5. Ran about 15-16 applications one after another. No problems there.
6. Found an annoying issue! Sometimes the phone shuts down after taking a picture! But holding off for now as it may be because battery was at low levels.
7. The infamous death grip is NOT there on my phone! Tried to replicate that but wifi holded very well.

In all, very happy today!
very awesome. Amazing to read - time for some pics? Would be good to have some of us post a real world comparison of these flagship phones. Any heating? a friend hated the SGS2 only for this reason!

personally, i liked SGS' AMOLED but its not like mind blowing awesome. SLCD does the job well enough i say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Thanks for your quick reply. Well, I'll slightly alter my question. Is it better to go for iPhone or not? If yes, should I go for iPhone 4 now or wait for the next version of the iphone to be released in Sep 2011. If Not, choice is between SGS2 and HTC Sensation. Thanks.
PM extreme_torque. He sold the SGS2 after a few days and went back to his 3GS. iPhone4 is good enough interface and speed. For someone who doesn't want cutting edge - wants a bit more solid phone, not so thin and with a really awesome snappy interface - iPhone4 does the job. Just like not everyone needs 200 bhp, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
My friend is looking for his first android phone. Budget is 15K and it should have a good camera. Shortlisted Motorola Defy (14.5K after discount @ letsbuy.com).

Is it a good option and deal?
Yes of course. I've had it for 1.5 months and have enticed many BHPians. But if you want other options -
Desire (if saholic can deliver)
Spice MI410 if one can live without the brand.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 10:19   #4236
Senior - BHPian

I charged the phone to 100%, wiped battery stats, then discharged completely until it switched itself off, then charged to 100% again without any interruptions.

Now I see a good improvement in battery life! This is really worth trying if your have a rooted phone. I noticed that the 100% charge is now shown at a slightly higher battery voltage.
Old 25th June 2011, 10:54   #4237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I charged the phone to 100%, wiped battery stats, then discharged completely until it switched itself off, then charged to 100% again without any interruptions.

Now I see a good improvement in battery life! This is really worth trying if your have a rooted phone. I noticed that the 100% charge is now shown at a slightly higher battery voltage.

4187 mv is the max that is held on my device.use fish curve or something to check max capacity
Old 25th June 2011, 12:50   #4238
Distinguished - BHPian

The SGS2 heats up really fast. I have still not even put the phone through any brutal process like playing games for hours or watching a full movie etc. But I noticed that with just 20 mins of browsing or playing angry birds for like 20 mins the back starts to heat up. Its specially worse around the camera area and you cant just touch it.

Is the fact that Delhi is burning anyways at this point of the year, contributing to it? Going by this standard I dont feel one can watch a full 2 hour long video or music at a stretch without burning your hands. Its really something samsung needs to look at.

Is the problem shared across the line by all smartphones? Why should only samsung heat up?

Another issue as reported by another member also is that it does indeed take an awful long time to charge up. Even with 50-60% battery left, it takes a very long time to charge up fully.

One doubt: Does it hurt your phones battery if i put it on charge all night long? I leave at 6 30 from my house in the morning and come back around 9 pm. So finding time to charge it is turning out to be difficult.

Last edited by drmohitg : 25th June 2011 at 13:01.
Old 25th June 2011, 13:41   #4239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
One doubt: Does it hurt your phones battery if i put it on charge all night long? I leave at 6 30 from my house in the morning and come back around 9 pm. So finding time to charge it is turning out to be difficult.
Not an issue, after the phone charges to 100%, it cuts itself off from the charger - this means 0 current flows from charger to phone afterwards. However, if you still keep it plugged in, phone will draw intermittent charging currents for short durations in some definite intervals just to keep it topped up. You will notice that as soon as you plug if off the charger in the morning, the battery % will drop from 100 to about 93% with a simple mail checking.

I never keep it plugged in overnight.

Last edited by clevermax : 25th June 2011 at 13:43.
Old 25th June 2011, 15:48   #4240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dr saab,

Two thjings for you:
a. Root and underclock the damn thing. Its way too overpowered for anyone's needs. That will give you more battery too.
b. You need to get a car charger because androids like to sip midday! Otherwise I say that the only thing you will burn with so much thought is your brain - its just a phone, don't bother so much about it!! Let the battery die a month earlier like it matters!
c. Try juice defender. Its nice. or even tasker could do the same thing for you actually!!
Old 25th June 2011, 18:53   #4241
TOR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Not really. You must see it in context. The BB and the Nokia's Eseries (71/63) are high as well as the previous generation.

And like samurai says, its within the US govt recommendation - who would surely be overly cautious when it comes to such standards. Of course, if it was the indian govt standard, then i'd be fearful. Its okay.

Ofc, if your work anyways requires keeping the phone to the ear all the time you can't use an android
The comparison was not at all with BB and Nokia.

Direct pricepoint competitors and even cheaper models(android) have much lower SAR rating. To cite an eg: the Desire has a rating in and around 1W/kg.

For someone who plans to do quite a bit of time on calls the Galaxy S is the best bet with SAR below 0.24W/kg !

Also here the question is not if the ratings are below established norms(like US and European) but the relative impact these devices have on the user with such a wide variation in the SAR outputs.
Old 25th June 2011, 22:07   #4242
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Dr saab,

Two thjings for you:
a. Root and underclock the damn thing. Its way too overpowered for anyone's needs. That will give you more battery too.
Haha Sir just give me 3-4 months. This being my first smartphone and a expensive one plus the fact that I am not getting any free time on my hands is preventing me from exploring it totally. But yea you got that exactly right that I just bought it to sort of pamper myself LOL.
Old 25th June 2011, 22:27   #4243
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
No 15% , just getting 1000 bucks off.
icicilb is giving 1200 off/-
And I was looking to buy a SLR camera.
Yup; 15% with a cap of 1000 bucks for rcomlb1 and 10% with a cap of 1200 for icicilb.

I bought a 1TB external harddrive and got 15% , a cool 700 bucks savings from the cheapest available in the shops.
Old 26th June 2011, 08:51   #4244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
The comparison was not at all with BB and Nokia.

Direct pricepoint competitors and even cheaper models(android) have much lower SAR rating. To cite an eg: the Desire has a rating in and around 1W/kg.

For someone who plans to do quite a bit of time on calls the Galaxy S is the best bet with SAR below 0.24W/kg !

Also here the question is not if the ratings are below established norms(like US and European) but the relative impact these devices have on the user with such a wide variation in the SAR outputs.
TOR,

I had pretty much the same doubts. Then, my homework at Wikipedia revealed:
Cancer

In 2006 a large Danish study about the connection between mobile phone use and cancer incidence was published. It followed over 420,000 Danish citizens for 20 years and showed no increased risk of cancer.[17] The German Federal Office for Radiation Protection (BfS) considers this report inconclusive.[18]
The following studies of long time exposure have been published:
  • The 13 nation INTERPHONE project – the largest study of its kind ever undertaken – has now been published and did not find a solid link between mobile phones and brain tumours
So clearly, if EU says anything below 1.6W/kg is safe - I'll bite. Of course, less is always good. The defy is otherwise an excellent package and has excellent reception. Honestly, for SAR - I'd say I would personally have gone only for the SGSL for its really low SAR. Desire is 1.06-1.12 across markets and hence is not that much lower.

Quote:
Haha Sir just give me 3-4 months. This being my first smartphone and a expensive one plus the fact that I am not getting any free time on my hands is preventing me from exploring it totally. But yea you got that exactly right that I just bought it to sort of pamper myself LOL.
oh forget that. it takes roughly 2-3 mins.

Then you'll look back on this day and say God, what was the signal from the heavens I was waiting for?!! There's a reason alot of us have it rooted!!
Old 26th June 2011, 09:43   #4245
BHPian

Never thought its so difficult to decide, with a budget of 15k I am stuck on Spice, Defy and Desire. Features apart, Defy is very interesting as I can use it rough (too used to Nokia build quality).

My needs:
1. Browsing and email
2. Camera (have a 9 month old and many moments were captured more on phone than my camera, the N8 rocks in this. N8 given to my wife now so the new phone need)
3. Games

Can stretch by 2-3k max if its really worth the stretch (Civic needs new rubber so PLC's are also in budget so tight now )

Most Viewed