Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2011, 18:00   #4321
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
I'm not sure if this would be possible, but why dont you try giving their customer care a call and see if such a thing could be arranged for.
Did call them, he has taken the request but no sure if they can do it since you wont be able to find it until and unless you unpack right?

Any suggestion of MicroSD cards anyone? Which class and whats the best to use?

Last edited by madbullram : 29th June 2011 at 18:28.
Old 29th June 2011, 19:02   #4322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post

I wasnt aware of the Red / Green...Hope they ship Red. May be someone who bought from letsbuy can comment what camera they got.
Quote:
I'm not sure if this would be possible, but why dont you try giving their customer care a call and see if such a thing could be arranged for.
I ordered mine on June 3rd from letsbuy and got it on 6th. I think it has a green camera lense. My neighbour got one a month prior and he too has a green lense. It looks like the latest stock has green, but I also read that green or red does not matter, and someone has blown things out of proportion.

Customer care of letsbuy does not know about this colour of the lense debate. They say they simply ship sealed pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Stay away from those multi wire chargers, they are not good ones and can easily fry your expensive phone.

just my opinion.
Thanks, you've confirmed my apprehension. Does anyone know of a good car charger for the Defy?

Last edited by vnabhi : 29th June 2011 at 19:03.
Old 29th June 2011, 19:28   #4323
BHPian

Flashed MIUI on my defy,it's an eye candy and pretty smooth as well, highly recommended. The interface is inspired by the simplistic iPhone UI. Had some reception issue,but got that sorted by changing the baseband(thanks phamilyman). Screenshots below.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20110629_191739.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20110629_191754.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20110629_191812.jpg  

Old 29th June 2011, 20:13   #4324
BHPian

So far, no one has even attempted to help me out with my queries about my Samsung Galaxy S2. Can some one please help me out as I am a new android user and need some tips for my phone. For Eg: Rooting (whats that all about and how do you do it) 2nd : Data counter (Figured that one out myself) , 3rd Apps, some good entertainment and features cant hurt, 4th : Which sites are good to download the apps into PC. I have an app installer so it can detect the apps once I have put them on my phone, but yes I think i need to do rooting. So please help.
Old 29th June 2011, 21:33   #4325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
You seem to have got a special edition with a reactor rather than a battery. I have been using the Motorola Atrix 4G and Samsung Galaxy S2, both give less than 24hrs charge on 3G. (sync enabled only during 10am-7pm). Friends who use the Sensation are not getting anything better either in terms of battery life.

Well here are the screenshots for battery consumption on my dual-core Android with my normal usage. I'd it off charger yesterday morning. its still good enf to go till tomorrow morning at least.
in this time I have made few calls (around 30 mins), some texts received, internet (I have to follow cricket score on internet as the only TV in home is reserved for Star+ in the evening ), played few levels of angry birds in the evening and was following up with 4 people on Wordfeud throughout the day! Wifi is ON at home. In office, I am on airtel 2G. Also played 2 rounds of my fav game - Sudoku.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-battery1.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-battery2.jpg  

Old 29th June 2011, 22:54   #4326
BHPian

Ordered Defy on letsbuy just now, hope to get it by 4th july(My Bday).
Was wavering between spice mi 410 and defy, finally sense prevailed.
Will be rooting it immediately, eventually upgrade to CM7 or MiUi after a month.
Old 30th June 2011, 00:54   #4327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvprasad View Post
Will be rooting it immediately, eventually upgrade to CM7 or MiUi after a month.
Congrats, I hope you used Rs.1000/- off coupon.
That coupon is great, working fine for entire site.
I am amazed to see such heavy discounts even on products where dealers would literally throw you out of showroom if you asked them for discounts, eg. Sony Products.

And let me be the 1st one to say Advance "Happy B'day"
Have a super duper b'day along your Defy.
God bless you.
Old 30th June 2011, 01:26   #4328
Team-BHP Support

Guys, need one help.

Whenever i am trying to add some detail to a facebook contact (Synced to phone contacts), i am getting the error- "Unable to edit sns contacts on phone". .

Google tells me its because facebook contacts cant be edited, and i need to add a new contact and merge it to the facebook contact. Any workarounds for this procedure/ Or is this the only way out? Phone is Samsung Galaxy S2, running on stock 2.3 Gingerbread.
Old 30th June 2011, 02:54   #4329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilSorot
So far, no one has even attempted to help me out with my queries about my Samsung Galaxy S2. Can some one please help me out as I am a new android user and need some tips for my phone. For Eg: Rooting (whats that all about and how do you do it) 2nd : Data counter (Figured that one out myself) , 3rd Apps, some good entertainment and features cant hurt, 4th : Which sites are good to download the apps into PC. I have an app installer so it can detect the apps once I have put them on my phone, but yes I think i need to do rooting. So please help.
Bro, rooting is quite simple once,you know how to do it.
Visit xda developers yup confirm my instructions.
I can't tell you the instructions offhand.
Pm me tomorrow and I'll tell you what to do.
Tomorrow as in today only but in 10 our so hours.
I too have an S2 and am already running a custom ROM on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR
Guys, need one help.

Whenever i am trying to add some detail to a facebook contact (Synced to phone contacts), i am getting the error- "Unable to edit sns contacts on phone". .

Google tells me its because facebook contacts cant be edited, and i need to add a new contact and merge it to the facebook contact. Any workarounds for this procedure/ Or is this the only way out? Phone is Samsung Galaxy S2, running on stock 2.3 Gingerbread.
I think its the only way out.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th June 2011 at 03:00.
Old 30th June 2011, 04:50   #4330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i dont know i just installed the rom recently. i think the icon is not showing correct.

but yes the phone is not yet dead. i used wifi too for long time.
https://market.android.com/details?i...erycalibration lo yaar.

Quote:
Took the bite and bought Moto Defy from letsbuy. My big thanks for Phamilyman who was the biggest influence in my decision!
Welcome

Quote:
ofcourse, once I get it, the hacking will start How much do these guys take to ship ? any clue?

Also. any reference link for step-by-step instructions on how to install/
a. Check nearby tarot card reader for precisely vague answer
b. 2-6 days in my opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilSorot View Post
Hello All, Its evident that android phones do consume a good amount of battery based on the usage. Can anyone please suggest me what I can do to tweak up my battery life. Also, I have a 2gb pack from my carrier and I want to keep a track of the data usage on it. Can some one please suggest how to keep a track of the data usage on my phone for 2G. (Didn't go for 3G for the charges) please.
https://market.android.com/details?i...oid.g3watchdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Can I trouble you to send me step-by-step instructions on how to root my Defy? It's been 3 weeks now and methinks it is high time.

As regards car charger, do you suggest any brand. The car accessories shop near my house sells one for Rs 250 that has multiple wires that can be attached to various sockets.
[FAQ] Cyanogenmod 7 by Quarx - xda-developers
and my little take on it: Motorola Defy Ownership | FreeRiding

I use a regular 170 rs desi version. Need to see which one of ERD/cellmate can do the job nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Stay away from those multi wire chargers, they are not good ones and can easily fry your expensive phone.

As I am little D.I.Y. stuff guy, i operated one of such chargers and to my shock, the output was controlled by a single resistor and a diode to prevent short in case resistor fails, this is a DESI method, stay away from those al-cheapo, all-purposo chargers.

for any android or expensive phone, please buy a reliable charger as its already has proper power regulators to take care of voltage spikes and drops.

just my opinion.
agreed!!

Quote:
Congratulations on your new purchase. Did you get a chance to try the Defy in any showroom ? While making the purchase, did you have an option to opt for a Defy with red camera instead of the green one ? I read somewhere that the green camera doesnt work with Gingerbread update.

Even i am on the lookout for an andriod phone in the 15k range. Based on suggestions from fellow members, I have narrowed down to Moto Defy and HTC Desire. Tried 3 showrooms in Anna Nagar and none of them carry the Defy .
a. Croma
b. Leaked GB doesnt work with Green lens but for you but its buggy anyway - use CM7.

Quote:
I did try my friends Defy and HTC Desire. I felt both were good, Defy's water resistance and glass made the cut for me as I am not a sensitive user and my phone get the nature a lot due to my Jeeping and Biking. Also, the scratch resistance was big need for me. Also, felt Defy had a marginally better call clarity.

I wasnt aware of the Red / Green...Hope they ship Red. May be someone who bought from letsbuy can comment what camera they got.
a. gorilla glass is common
b. resistant != proof. caveat emptor!

Quote:
Did call them, he has taken the request but no sure if they can do it since you wont be able to find it until and unless you unpack right?

Any suggestion of MicroSD cards anyone? Which class and whats the best to use?
Tough call. frankly phones can do with class 2 but for decent xfers from comp - u may use class 4. buy from flipkart only - 30 percent of all SanDisk memory cards are fake, says engineer - AfterDawn - some folks (pm CCAV2000) had compatibility issues with 16GB class 6+ cards. Just make sure you've checked out the mega thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I ordered mine on June 3rd from letsbuy and got it on 6th. I think it has a green camera lense. My neighbour got one a month prior and he too has a green lense. It looks like the latest stock has green, but I also read that green or red does not matter, and someone has blown things out of proportion.

Customer care of letsbuy does not know about this colour of the lense debate. They say they simply ship sealed pieces.

Thanks, you've confirmed my apprehension. Does anyone know of a good car charger for the Defy?
Yep. Absolutely correct - don't even bother them!

I ordered 5May, got 11 may. red lens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Flashed MIUI on my defy,it's an eye candy and pretty smooth as well, highly recommended. The interface is inspired by the simplistic iPhone UI. Had some reception issue,but got that sorted by changing the baseband(thanks phamilyman). Screenshots below.
Welcomes. You need to always flash the Asia AGPS fix and the bootmenu fix as well with MIUI. It has the old bootmenu without OCing. With new one, you do nothing - phone will manage. else i liked setvsel a lot as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilSorot View Post
a. I think the tone is frankly uncalled for. You need to search this thread a bit. How to Root Samsung Galaxy SII (S2) Using Odin and SuperOneClick ? [Step-by-step Guide] | Inspired Geek or a similar link was posted last time.
b. Let me google that for you - Lifehacker and addictivetips links.
c. See above.
d. Do at your own risk. Root + untrusted apps = god save the king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvprasad View Post
Fateful words

Last edited by phamilyman : 30th June 2011 at 04:54.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 05:56   #4331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Tough call. frankly phones can do with class 2 but for decent xfers from comp - u may use class 4. buy from flipkart only - 30 percent of all SanDisk memory cards are fake, says engineer - AfterDawn - some folks (pm CCAV2000) had compatibility issues with 16GB class 6+ cards. Just make sure you've checked out the mega thread.

I was planning to buy from letsbuy, they have nice deal for 8GB class 4 verbatim at 459rs after coupon. Is worth it?

Are you saying do not root?
Old 30th June 2011, 06:43   #4332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys, need one help.

AFAIK, there are no work arounds. You have create a new contact and merge it with the SNS contact to have the ability to edit the SNS contact.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 07:22   #4333
BHPian

Quote:
ofcourse, once I get it, the hacking will start How much do these guys take to ship ? any clue?

Also. any reference link for step-by-step instructions on how to install/
Placed order for a LG Optimus One on 27th @ 7 Pm. Delivered by 29th 1pm. Delhi to Hyderabad. Shipping by Bluedart. You will get SMS/email updates all the time.

Enjoy
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 11:04   #4334
BHPian

This is the app for all of US!
fuellog

It shows:

Your expenditure on fuel.
It has wonderful elaborate graphs, and figures on how good/bad/ugly your car has been wrt FE.
and, mileage covered (in sp. time)
Average cost/running per day/week/month and all other necessary/un-necessary details

Just perfect!
Try it folks.

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 30th June 2011 at 11:07.
Old 30th June 2011, 11:37   #4335
Senior - BHPian

Google+ is here... Bye Bye Facebook...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks