Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2011, 23:53   #4441
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Which one would be a better buy as on today ? Dell xcd35 or LG optimus p500. Any other model i need to consider in this price range ?
The LG Optimus p500 is a much better model overall, compared to the dell, which is a rebranded Zte Blade. Except the screen, the Dell does not score much.
Old 4th July 2011, 00:00   #4442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
The LG Optimus p500 is a much better model overall, compared to the dell, which is a rebranded Zte Blade. Except the screen, the Dell does not score much.
Just read somewhere about the software upgrade for dell. So was wondering if it would be just as good now.
Old 4th July 2011, 00:09   #4443
BHPian

Quote:
Just read somewhere about the software upgrade for dell. So was wondering if it would be just as good now.
LG is going to get 2.3, whereas Dell will graduate to 2.2 from 2.1
I have used both (not mine, friends). Main issue with Dell was a weak battery. The LG Optimus One has sold multiple times the number as Dell.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 00:15   #4444
BHPian

Quote:
I have used both (not mine, friends). Main issue with Dell was a weak battery. The LG Optimus One has sold multiple times the number as Dell.
I am looking for a larger screen display mainly for web browsing via wifi. Its a pain to get on my notebook for plain surfing. Hence was more inclined towards dell. Have any other suggestions sub 15k with a large display ?
Old 4th July 2011, 03:30   #4445
BHPian

Whats the current market rate for HTC Desire?
Old 4th July 2011, 03:51   #4446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Excuse me? Where did that logic come from? The components are all pretty much similar (both are basic budget entry level phones, so there's no differential - whether real or imagined!)

Quote:
That is completely irrelevant for most users if the battery backup is decent and so is the performance. And otherwise, there's CM7 - so many of us have installed custom ROMs

O1 sold much more because its price was far lesser than other alternatives. Now with <1k difference between them - the better screen of the XCD35 wins the day.

I recall reading a user here whose getting 2 days backup on his XCD35. After that, your battery logic doesn't hold much water afaik.

Quote:
I am looking for a larger screen display mainly for web browsing via wifi. Its a pain to get on my notebook for plain surfing. Hence was more inclined towards dell. Have any other suggestions sub 15k with a large display ?
Spice MI410 (via saholic)
Defy
Desire (via saholic)

Last edited by phamilyman : 4th July 2011 at 03:58.
Old 4th July 2011, 07:02   #4447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athul_S View Post

Shows 22K INR as of now (without discount coupons)

Buy HTC Desire (Brown) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews
Old 4th July 2011, 08:23   #4448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athul_S View Post
Here you go the desire price has come down but the phone is currently out off stock.

HTC Desire | HTC Mobile Phones | Saholic.com
karankapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 09:10   #4449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
Here you go the desire price has come down but the phone is currently out off stock.

HTC Desire | HTC Mobile Phones | Saholic.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Excuse me? Where did that logic come from? The components are all pretty much similar (both are basic budget entry level phones, so there's no differential - whether real or imagined!)

That is completely irrelevant for most users if the battery backup is decent and so is the performance. And otherwise, there's CM7 - so many of us have installed custom ROMs

O1 sold much more because its price was far lesser than other alternatives. Now with <1k difference between them - the better screen of the XCD35 wins the day.

I recall reading a user here whose getting 2 days backup on his XCD35. After that, your battery logic doesn't hold much water afaik.

Spice MI410 (via saholic)
Defy
Desire (via saholic)
If the components are 'all similar', how come the Optimus has sold much more and is a popular model than the Dell??? Ask any retailer, you will get to hear the volumes the optimus has compared to dell. People look at much more than the price when deciding.

Battery backup Irrelevant? Don't think so. Hardly 5% would go for custom roms and the like.

Its easier to pass judgement once you actually use both. I have used both, and the Optimus battery backup can run circles round the Dell without any Roms or tweaking. Moreover the dell xcd35 skimps on the amoled screen for the Indian market.
Old 4th July 2011, 09:33   #4450
BHPian

Quote:
From letsbuy, prices for both your shortlists-
dell xcd35 Rs.9359/-
Optimus Rs.8999/- including 2GB card.
Old 4th July 2011, 09:54   #4451
Senior - BHPian

SGS2 has another official frimware update XWKE7(though there is another thread elsewhere that says Android Gingerbread XWKEY bump) . Though its currently available in UK alone, it is expected to hit our market soon.

Few things that is corrected as per the update include
  • Better battery life
  • More accurate GPS readings
  • Improved Performance
  • Few Upgrade Apps (Including Samsung Apps)
  • Fixed “pink spot” bug in camera app
Old 4th July 2011, 10:27   #4452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
How did you get your LG Optimus One CM7ed? Well. I use P500 and I'm a complete noob when it comes to custom ROMS.

Would you please guide me on how to get my phone CM7ed? Else, please provide me some links.

Please...
[ROM] Gingerbread-2.3.4-rc4.1 /CM7 @2011-06-15-07:30 - xda-developers

It's quite simple once you are familiar with the terms. At a high level this is what I did.

1. Root the phone using Gingerbreak.
2. Install ROM Manager from Market. Also you need Clockwork Mod Recovery ( Not sure if this is part of ROM Manager or I had to install it separately)
3. Take a complete backup using ROM Manager and copy to another device.
4. Take a complete back up using Titanium Backup( Apps + Data) and copy it to another device. This might come in handy if you want to recover a particular app ( though it didn't work for me !!)
5. Download CM7 for LG P 500
6. Copy it to the SD card.
7. Using ROM Manager you can select the copied file and flash the ROM.

Hope all your contacts are linked to your gmail account - Else take a back up of your contacts before installing. Also make sure you have a copy of your SD Card contents elsewhere. ( I formatted my SD card to create an ext3 partition so that it can be used for installing apps).

Please go through the XDA thread for detailed instructions.
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 10:31   #4453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
SGS2 has another official frimware update XWKE7(though there is another thread elsewhere that says Android Gingerbread XWKEY bump) . Though its currently available in UK alone, it is expected to hit our market soon.

Few things that is corrected as per the update include
  • Better battery life
  • More accurate GPS readings
  • Improved Performance
  • Few Upgrade Apps (Including Samsung Apps)
  • Fixed “pink spot” bug in camera app
I'm almost decided on SGS2. How can I copy my contacts from Nokia E71 to SGS2. Any easy method i.e. via bluetooth, etc. Also, can't we update the firmware without connecting it to the PC?

Last edited by vvrchandra : 4th July 2011 at 10:36.
Old 4th July 2011, 10:44   #4454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, can't we update the firmware without connecting it to the PC?
I think there is no other way to update a firmware. Even the rooted phones require a PC to update any firmware.

That is my understsanding
Old 4th July 2011, 10:44   #4455
BHPian

Its Been about 3 weeks since i have been using my new Spice Mi410. I am very happy with the phone on most aspects. The 1 GHz Processor is great. I switched to cherry magnum update after 1 week. Battery life seemed to have improved a lot. My main use for the phone is when i travel for about 2 and half hours a days to office(to and fro). i catch up on my Tv serials. the Displays does a good job on this department. I don't play games on my phone but i have installed angry birds and asphalt just for testing(they work fine on the Phone). the speakers are not the loudest however the placement(bottom side corners) is great and sound is very clear. i am on edge (Vodafone) and use Whatsapp a lot to stay connected to a few close friends.

Sore Points..
1. The Camera although capable of recording 720p, has low Frame rate if the phone is move slightly.(More RnD needs to be Done), i think this probably some thing to do with low lighting because i did take a HD recording in the morning it was pretty good.
2. This is my more important sore point. Battery back is unpredictable. Some times when the phone is charged to 100% at night before sleeping. after about 6 hours it shows 75% remaining. (i leave it in aeroplane mode because i have bad network inside the house)
However if i charge it and use it heavily for 12 hours(2 hours of moving watching, answering a few calls, whatsapp and bit internet usage like teambhp app, etc) i will still have 45%- 50%. which would make assume that if you don't use your phone it should easily last 1 and half days on a single charge.
If any one has thoughts on this please let me know..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks