Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 10:54   #4456
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I'm almost decided on SGS2. How can I copy my contacts from Nokia E71 to SGS2. Any easy method i.e. via bluetooth, etc. Also, can't we update the firmware without connecting it to the PC?
export your nokia contacts as csv file and use that file to upload your contacts to your Gmail account under contacts. Next when you will sync your new android device all contacts will come into it from Gmail Contacts. Firmware can easily be updated on any android device using the sd card method and update.zip method; requires a little expertise though its not rocket science.

@klubclass - follow this wiki to root, load clockwork recovery and then load cynogenmod to your Optimus 2x - LG Optimus 2X - CyanogenMod Wiki
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 11:05   #4457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm almost decided on SGS2. How can I copy my contacts from Nokia E71 to SGS2. Any easy method i.e. via bluetooth, etc. Also, can't we update the firmware without connecting it to the PC?
Just export your contacts using ovi to outlook and then from there to your phone.
Old 4th July 2011, 11:24   #4458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
From letsbuy, prices for both your shortlists-
dell xcd35 Rs.9359/-
Optimus Rs.8999/- including 2GB card.
Ah, now you are only illustrating my point - there is no price difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
If the components are 'all similar', how come the Optimus has sold much more and is a popular model than the Dell??? Ask any retailer, you will get to hear the volumes the optimus has compared to dell. People look at much more than the price when deciding.

Battery backup Irrelevant?Don't think so. Hardly 5% would go for custom roms and the like.

Its easier to pass judgement once you actually use both. I have used both, and the Optimus battery backup can run circles round the Dell without any Roms or tweaking. Moreover the dell xcd35 skimps on the amoled screen for the Indian market.
yaar,

now you are talking like the neighborhood wala mobile shop. We are on TeamBHP so let's talk specifics:
LG Optimus
ZTE San Francisco, Blade

Till a while back - XCD35 was 13-14k in shops vs 9.8-10k for the optimus one. and once something starts selling - junta blindly recommend it. Like people recommending against fiat cars without even using them.

The screen of the XCD35 is better. The rest is same. I am advising people based on what I have experienced with the Defy. So many people advise the ace over the defy blindly. The vast majority of them havent even bothered to scratch the surface of what's possible. A good screen is a major part of the touch-android experience.

I think he's far smarter to go in for the XCD35. Else, his loss!

As for the OEM dell rom - you definitely may have a point. But the question here is - am I asking him to stay OEM? Hell no! CM7 is the way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I think there is no other way to update a firmware. Even the rooted phones require a PC to update any firmware.

That is my understsanding
You got it wrong. Atleast for custom ROMs

You install what is called a Clockwork mod recovery (custom recovery). It takes a ROM update file from the SD card and updates it.

Some other ROMs use a ROM manager software which does the same job - but i havent tried it.

I don't know about OEM update because I've not done it!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th July 2011 at 14:32. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
Old 4th July 2011, 11:50   #4459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
export your nokia contacts as csv file and use that file to upload your contacts to your Gmail account under contacts. Next when you will sync your new android device all contacts will come into it from Gmail Contacts. Firmware can easily be updated on any android device using the sd card method and update.zip method; requires a little expertise though its not rocket science..
How to export the nokia contacts as a csv file? Is it from the mobile itself? Thanks.
Old 4th July 2011, 11:55   #4460
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karankapoor View Post
Here you go the desire price has come down but the phone is currently out off stock.

HTC Desire | HTC Mobile Phones | Saholic.com

Wow if the Desire is available for 16-17k then is there any reason to choose Defy over it, except the price difference?

It seems HTC is going to roll out 2.3 pretty soon

Last edited by athul_S : 4th July 2011 at 12:07.
Old 4th July 2011, 12:04   #4461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How to export the nokia contacts as a csv file? Is it from the mobile itself? Thanks.
You need to use Nokia PC Suite to copy contacts from phone to pc and then the PC Suite can exports them as csv file.

One of the many guides (this one follows a different method though) - http://www.enavigo.com/2010/08/18/ho...vice-to-gmail/

Also as your phone is on S60 symbian, you can also use Google Sync program - http://www.google.com/mobile/sync/

Last edited by dkaile : 4th July 2011 at 12:11.
Old 4th July 2011, 12:16   #4462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athul_S View Post
Whats the current market rate for HTC Desire?
15k in Bangalore at Spice HotSpot.
Have bought around 10 of these in our friends gang.
dezpo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 12:34   #4463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You got it wrong. Atleast for custom ROMs
You install what is called a Clockwork mod recovery (custom recovery). It takes a ROM update file from the SD card and updates it.

Some other ROMs use a ROM manager software which does the same job - but i havent tried it.
Even the ROM manager does it via CWM. It is just easy to use because you can run ROM manager and select the option to install new ROM, or reboot into recovery on the fly, then the phone actually reboots and CWM does the rest of the job.

Try AmonRA also, it is another recovery tool like CWM. Some Desire users had to use AmonRA instead of CWM because of the NAND erase size issue. CWM can work with erase size of 20K but some newer Desire had erase size of 40K.

You can swap CWM with AmonRA easily via ROM Manager.

Last edited by clevermax : 4th July 2011 at 12:38.
Old 4th July 2011, 12:35   #4464
Team-BHP Support

Battery info for my SGS2. Seems to be getting better after a few days of usage. Is this normal? I used to take it to office fully charged, and it used to show low battery by evening (for first few days), now its showing 30% battery warning the next morning.

This is with around 50% time wifi on, and apps in full sync mode. Some calls, and quite a lot sms. Live wallpaper and automatic brightness to go as well... I wonder if Android OS and Android system should be eating that much battery though.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-265125_226259327405073_100000630235146_793260_8210044_n.jpg
Old 4th July 2011, 12:57   #4465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Even the ROM manager does it via CWM. It is just easy to use because you can run ROM manager and select the option to install new ROM, or reboot into recovery on the fly, then the phone actually reboots and CWM does the rest of the job.

Try AmonRA also, it is another recovery tool like CWM. Some Desire users had to use AmonRA instead of CWM because of the NAND erase size issue. CWM can work with erase size of 20K but some newer Desire had erase size of 40K.

You can swap CWM with AmonRA easily via ROM Manager.
I just use CWM - that's what comes installed with the CM7 for defy. Why break something that works perfectly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by athul_S View Post
Wow if the Desire is available for 16-17k then is there any reason to choose Defy over it, except the price difference?

It seems HTC is going to roll out 2.3 pretty soon
I'm getting a bit tired of this actually. Both are brilliant phones - u can't go wrong with either:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2399615

Infact, use both and see which one fits better in your hand!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 13:06   #4466
Senior - BHPian

^
I would advice that HTC would be better than Motorola anyday due to better update support as well as seamless functionality and better developer support.
Old 4th July 2011, 13:12   #4467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yes, but I was basing on reports like Samsung Galaxy SII (S2): Exynos 4210 VS Tegra 2 – Which Version Will Be Better | Inspired Geek - its not that cutrate a processor that warrants the tone of the original quote which i replied to. Do keep in mind that Tegra2's been around almost a year before Exynos - which is an eon in this market!
============
That does not in any way lend itself to the assertion that tegra2 is considerably inferior (i.e worth reconsidering purchase of tegra2 phone in india) or that its cheaper. My assertion is that an inhouse product of samsung will definitely be cheaper than what they will buy from outside.
The time Tegra 2 has been around is not at all important. In fact it was introduced at CES 2010 but the first appearance in a shipping product was the Viewsonic Gtab in Nov 2010 (Or if you want to count the extremely rare Toshiba AC100 Smartbook maybe a month or so earlier). And Tegra 2 first shipped in a phone in the end of Jan 2011 in the Optimus 2X.

Just because Exynos is made by Samsung does not mean it will be cheaper. Samsung's Foundry business and Samsung's Application Processor business are all different divisions of Samsung and still have to compete against the rest of the industry to win contracts with Samsung Mobile. Of course there is some amount of preference given as they are group companies but they all have to make profits on their own. Samsung Mobile has used other SoC's for their phones, a few examples i can remember are - Qualcomm MSM 7227 in the Ace, Qualcomm MSM 8255 in the Galaxy S Plus, TI OMAP 3630 in the Galaxy SL (or Galaxy S LCD variant)

There are a few factors which would definitely dissaude me from buying a S II with Tegra 2 rather than Exynos. Tegra 2 is clocked only at 1 ghz vs 1.2 ghz for Exynos and does not have NEON (both are not major factors though, clock will affect performance by 20%, lack of NEON may hurt a lot in some particular applications but overall not too much of a factor). Tegra 2 does not have 1080p encode @ 30 fps. It only supports 24 fps and even that is reported to be choppy. Exynos supports 1080p encode at 30 fps and all reviews so far say it is smooth. Tegra 2 also does not support full H.264 decode whereas Exynos does. And Tegra 2's GPU is inferior to the one in Exynos but again that is not a major factor as there are currently no games on Android that are so GPU intensive that they require class leading graphics.
radiokidb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 13:15   #4468
Senior - BHPian

^ @dkaile
Also HTC sense is better than stock moto UI. So for someone who doesn't want to install custom roms, desire may be a better choice.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 4th July 2011 at 13:16.
SilentEngine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 13:23   #4469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine
^ @dkaile
Also HTC sense is better than stock moto UI. So for someone who doesn't want to install custom roms, desire may be a better choice.
You can even get htc sense experience with some custom roms, like Leedroid. It has sense ui cooked with gingerbread, much faster and offers better battery life than stock htc rom. Definitely worth a try.
Old 4th July 2011, 13:32   #4470
BHPian

Thanks for all the replies

One more newbie question
Since froyo, doesnt android support installation of apps on SD card?

If so, isnt lesser ROM issue negated?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks