Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2011, 10:55   #4021
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Oh totally. Because there will be that day when either you read a stupid forum post that you have the itch to reply or that idiotic office email when you're out with family and you know you must reply asap before more crap happens. Or times when you need to operate the phone while multitasking. But a touchscreen is a 100% involvement device
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
err guys there are android devices with physical Keyboards so lets not blame the OS for this
Yeah, but those come nowhere close to true BB/E series QWERTY experience!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
And the fastest message ever sent on a smart phone was on a touch screen phone using swype!
Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
I feel your pain. As someone else has also mentioned, try Swype. It has a bit of a learning curve and the tutorial will take a couple of hours for you to fully understand. However, the rewards are more than worth the initial pain. The beauty of swype is that it is incredibly easy to type long sentences with complex or long words. Seriously, swype is how a keyboard should be ideally implemented in a touchscreen phone. Even the iPhone keyboard gets left behind.
Err, boss, I've been on Swype from Day 1. However, as I just mentioned, you cannot substitute the physical QWERTY experience. Typing is way faster and more accurate in the latter case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
oh yes, I was just replying to him - you caught it well. I recommended Desire Z a few posts above for the same reason - the keyboard. i was speaking because of missing it in the Defy!

bacche ki jaan le le bhai. The point is that maybe i'm old fashioned but some things feel good when done a certain way! I like to operate the phone with both hands and I multitask like crazy. I can tell you that something as simple as redialing a number while driving (I drive with bluetooth all the time) is a task in the defy. on the E63, I could dial my family's contacts without looking at the screen. Show it done safely on any swype and i buy you a free mug of your favorite poison! Now because its unsafe - I typically pull over and then dial and continue.
That's exactly what I also meant. While driving, if there's an urgent call/one word SMS to be sent, Androids are a real pain. It most definitely requires both hands and both eyes. Plus the number of steps involved (i.e. swiping the screen to unlock, tapping the right button {and more often than not, a wrong icon gets pressed}, another tap to enter the reply/compose mode, swyping the message and finally another tap to send. Phew.

I was way too faster on the BB. Androids have just accentuated my laziness to another level altogether!

EDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
As someone said, its not problem of the OS, but the manufacturer. Desire Z has a QWERTY, but its not the latest and fastest. Swype is a good option too. X10 mini Pro has, but wouldnt recommend it at all.
Let me re-phrase: I'm very well aware that this is not an OS thingy. That was not my grouse to begin with.

What I need to question is that why are 95%+ Android phones with touchscreen response?

I mean - Lack of a physical QWERTY well integrated in the form factor of the phone, so as to not make it inconvenient to use with even one hand. E.g. BB, E Series.

I personally dont like too many moving parts / hinges in my phones. They arent just a pain to operate, but are extremely delicate as well.

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 17th June 2011 at 11:01.
Old 17th June 2011, 11:27   #4022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
And the fastest message ever sent on a smart phone was on a touch screen phone using swype!
Agree. Swype is much much faster than real keyboard.
Old 17th June 2011, 11:30   #4023
Senior - BHPian

the only decent phone on this account is the rs 12k galaxy pro but its keyboard and screen areboth quite sad, though friends otherwise report the performance to be quite good!

desire Z has very few owners and again needs rolling out.
Old 17th June 2011, 11:45   #4024
Team-BHP Support

Swype BETA -- v3.0 is AWESOME! Those of you not currently on swype, or already running the beta can get it. Accuracy is so much better, and now you can type words without them being auto-added to the dictionary. Also honeycomb support is included with a re-sizable keyboard!

Get it at : Swype | Text Input for Screens (you'll need to do a quick signup)

If swype came pre-installed on your phone you CANNOT use this.

cya
R

PS - I turned the "auto-correct words on pressing space" - OFF. Helps when tap typing in new words (which is the only time i tap-type on swype).

@phamilyman - FrankMehta has the GalaxyPro and says he loves the keyboard.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th June 2011 at 11:48.
Old 17th June 2011, 12:14   #4025
BANNED

Sold my Galaxy S II yesterday with heavy heart just because I couldn't live with the Audio quality. With lower quality headphones like CX300, its pretty hard to make out any difference in quality with my other phone, the iPhone 3GS. But my UE Triple.FI Pro's laid bare whatever was wrong with SGS II's sound quality.

There were other things which I felt were wrong too. For one I didn't like the all plastic build so much so that I was afraid of putting it in my jeans front pocket, lest it breaks into two. Samsung in the pursuit for ultimate thinness compromised on thermal insulation.
A great phone, probably the best Android phone right now, but lacks the overall refinement that Apple gives you with the iPhone. I am back to my good old iPhone 3GS but I miss the Galaxy S II. A great phone which promised a lot and delivered on most counts but fell short on a crucial things.
Waiting now for the Samsung Galaxy S3 or the new iPhone.
Old 17th June 2011, 12:46   #4026
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear your Galaxy S II experience, hope you got good price in resale. I think Samsung has made the phone anemic in their quest for ultimate thin phone. Same goes for humans, zero body fat is not really good.

I too have always suffered compromises in every phone. But Defy is the one with least compromises for me so far. It has good meat between the bones too.
Old 17th June 2011, 13:13   #4027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Swype BETA -- v3.0 is AWESOME! Those of you not currently on swype, or already running the beta can get it. Accuracy is so much better, and now you can type words without them being auto-added to the dictionary. Also honeycomb support is included with a re-sizable keyboard!
I think T9 Trace is much better than Swype. I have tried both and T9 Trace is way more accurate than Swype. Not sure if T9 Trace is available for Android devices. The latest features in Swype 3.0 (like horizontal bar for word suggestions, seamless switch between swype and tap typing etc) are all taken from T9 Trace.
Old 17th June 2011, 13:29   #4028
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Lost my Samsung Galaxy 3 a week ago; guess it slipped out of my pocket as I made my way into my car.

I had "lookout" app installed on it and I had also set the Mobile Tracker but no luck so far. Has anyone seen 'lookout' or 'Mobile Tracker' coming to rescue in such situations?
Old 17th June 2011, 13:37   #4029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I think T9 Trace is much better than Swype. I have tried both and T9 Trace is way more accurate than Swype. Not sure if T9 Trace is available for Android devices. The latest features in Swype 3.0 (like horizontal bar for word suggestions, seamless switch between swype and tap typing etc) are all taken from T9 Trace.
I am using SlideIT similar to Swype, but it's good than swype.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Hi Guys,

Lost my Samsung Galaxy 3 a week ago; guess it slipped out of my pocket as I made my way into my car.

I had "lookout" app installed on it and I had also set the Mobile Tracker but no luck so far. Has anyone seen 'lookout' or 'Mobile Tracker' coming to rescue in such situations?
I have put one anti theft software in my wife mobile, during mobile servicing I gave it without deactivating it. So when the service guy changed the sim card for testing I got a message with his number. I don't remember the software name but I downloaded it in the android market and it's free. check it out.
Old 17th June 2011, 13:43   #4030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I have put one anti theft software in my wife mobile, during mobile servicing I gave it without deactivating it. So when the service guy changed the sim card for testing I got a message with his number. I don't remember the software name but I downloaded it in the android market and it's free. check it out.
That's exactly what "Mobile Tracker" is supposed to do; but I haven't received any message so far
Old 17th June 2011, 15:00   #4031
BHPian

These will work only for novice guys, but those who know about these mobile tracker, first step they will reset/flash it and then only they will use it, in that case this will not work.

I believe in your case this should have happened. So these softwares are not 100% secured.

Quote:
That's exactly what "Mobile Tracker" is supposed to do; but I haven't received any message so far
Old 17th June 2011, 15:24   #4032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These will work only for novice guys, but those who know about these mobile tracker, first step they will reset/flash it and then only they will use it, in that case this will not work.

I believe in your case this should have happened. So these softwares are not 100% secured.
That's right. You should ideally have a working gps tracking software installed, which may be of help in case of a lost mobile and not in case of a stolen mobile.

Chances are that most of the thieves will get the phone re-flashed if they are professionals at that.. otherwise those will be sold immediately to unsuspecting new buyers.

PS: Any rooted users set their CPU governor to 'Interactive'? I find it better than the default 'OnDemand'. Guess it cranks up the CPU faster than Ondemand. Battery usage has not been impacted.

Last edited by clevermax : 17th June 2011 at 15:27.
Old 17th June 2011, 15:34   #4033
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
That's right. You should ideally have a working gps tracking software installed, which may be of help in case of a lost mobile and not in case of a stolen mobile.

Chances are that most of the thieves will get the phone re-flashed if they are professionals at that.. otherwise those will be sold immediately to unsuspecting new buyers.
With technology skyrocketing every second, ain't there absolutely NO WAY to have a secured anti-theft mechanism in place?
Old 17th June 2011, 15:42   #4034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With technology skyrocketing every second, ain't there absolutely NO WAY to have a secured anti-theft mechanism in place?
Anti theft module and its configuration should be hard-wired in the device. Then it will become theft safe. Why it is not happening is because the user specific configuration cannot be done at factory

Last edited by clevermax : 17th June 2011 at 15:46.
Old 17th June 2011, 15:49   #4035
BHPian

Re: Buying suggesstion/ Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Guys,
I am in a dilemma with the following devices. My max. budget is 20k. Please help me out.
GT GT I9000: like everything in it, except for the much well known GPS issue, and plasticky build. But 20+ and out of budget for now. I dont like the I9003

Desire S: Like it much. Any issue like battery still plaguing it? Again, 20+

Nexus S: No radio, issues like freezing , random reboot are deterrent. Just undercutting 20k.

Defy: now 15k (even less with Coupons). However, Moto is well known for not rolling out updates. Even the Indian official 2.2 has been revoked.!

Desire: 15k at Saholic. any word about this online vendor. Loks to be legitimate, they are the Spice venture for online retailing.

I wish the Incredible S gets a price cut and make my decision process easy.

Thanks,
Abhishek M
I was also in a similar dilemma but i thought 20k was a good deal for Nexus S. Just got it delivered from flipkart. Does the nexus S box contain a user Manual?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks