Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 20:46   #4006
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Guys,
I am in a dilemma with the following devices. My max. budget is 20k. Please help me out.
GT GT I9000: like everything in it, except for the much well known GPS issue, and plasticky build. But 20+ and out of budget for now. I dont like the I9003

Desire S: Like it much. Any issue like battery still plaguing it? Again, 20+

Nexus S: No radio, issues like freezing , random reboot are deterrent. Just undercutting 20k.

Defy: now 15k (even less with Coupons). However, Moto is well known for not rolling out updates. Even the Indian official 2.2 has been revoked.!

Desire: 15k at Saholic. any word about this online vendor. Loks to be legitimate, they are the Spice venture for online retailing.

I wish the Incredible S gets a price cut and make my decision process easy.

Thanks,
Abhishek M
I would say desire or desireZ for the uber moddability or the defy if you want worldproofting. The ONLY thing I miss in my defy is a real keyboard!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thanks Buddy, Got adfree, Autokiller, Titanium backup & CPU Tuner. Somehow adfree isnt working for me, I think I am not using it properly, will check.

However the battery seems to be behaving well after choosing a preset (Optimum) on Autokiller app.
Droidwall?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Lets have no doubts about this - Flipkart is WAY better than Letsbuy on every parameter (customer service, promptness, quality of response, website, everything). The only difference is the discount you get with Letsbuy.
+1 million. Letsbuy needs to pull up their socks for them to remain a relevant business in the long term. Beating an otherwise efficient and awesome company like flipkart in price substantially means they would anyways not be making much money. They should be careful!!
Old 16th June 2011, 21:27   #4007
Distinguished - BHPian

Well my first post through my samsung galaxy s 2. Absolutely loving it. Kudos to samsung.
Old 16th June 2011, 23:36   #4008
BHPian

To all those switching to CM7 and Have battery drainage problems

RE CALIBRATE your battery. using the physical mode not the software that claims to do it in a second

Here is an example of recalibration of a XCD35

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-5633200185_d25e1e7a2b_z.jpg

Look for similar instructions according your specific phone models
Old 17th June 2011, 00:42   #4009
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The ONLY thing I miss in my defy is a real keyboard!!
Lack of a physical QWERTY keypad is the ONLY thing missing in an Android. I'm feeling that pinch after 2+ months of usage. Composing mails and SMS (esp. during those long, boring management meetings) is a real pain.
Old 17th June 2011, 02:13   #4010
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
To all those switching to CM7 and Have battery drainage problems

RE CALIBRATE your battery. using the physical mode not the software that claims to do it in a second

Here is an example of recalibration of a XCD35

Look for similar instructions according your specific phone models
Besides this - use the battery calibration app on the market - charge to 100% and run it. khel khatm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Lack of a physical QWERTY keypad is the ONLY thing missing in an Android. I'm feeling that pinch after 2+ months of usage. Composing mails and SMS (esp. during those long, boring management meetings) is a real pain.
Oh totally. Because there will be that day when either you read a stupid forum post that you have the itch to reply or that idiotic office email when you're out with family and you know you must reply asap before more crap happens. Or times when you need to operate the phone while multitasking. But a touchscreen is a 100% involvement device
Old 17th June 2011, 02:22   #4011
Senior - BHPian

err guys there are android devices with physical Keyboards so lets not blame the OS for this
Old 17th June 2011, 03:23   #4012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
err guys there are android devices with physical Keyboards so lets not blame the OS for this
And the fastest message ever sent on a smart phone was on a touch screen phone using swype!
Old 17th June 2011, 03:54   #4013
Team-BHP Support

Got my Samsung Galaxy S2 today... Was a 10x jump from my old (but nice) INR 3k Karbonn (Yes Karbonn) mobile!!!

Initial reactions- The phone is big and the display is awesome, and yet, its so unbelievably lightweight and thin! Was totally unprepared for the kind of publicity it gathered in office. Messaging was a struggle at first since i was used to proper qwerty keypads, but swype is not so bad either i guess!

Made a few iphone users jealous too... Money well spent...

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th June 2011 at 03:55.
Old 17th June 2011, 03:58   #4014

Quote:
I feel your pain. As someone else has also mentioned, try Swype. It has a bit of a learning curve and the tutorial will take a couple of hours for you to fully understand. However, the rewards are more than worth the initial pain. The beauty of swype is that it is incredibly easy to type long sentences with complex or long words. Seriously, swype is how a keyboard should be ideally implemented in a touchscreen phone. Even the iPhone keyboard gets left behind.
Old 17th June 2011, 05:27   #4015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
oh yes, I was just replying to him - you caught it well. I recommended Desire Z a few posts above for the same reason - the keyboard. i was speaking because of missing it in the Defy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
And the fastest message ever sent on a smart phone was on a touch screen phone using swype!
bacche ki jaan le le bhai. The point is that maybe i'm old fashioned but some things feel good when done a certain way! I like to operate the phone with both hands and I multitask like crazy. I can tell you that something as simple as redialing a number while driving (I drive with bluetooth all the time) is a task in the defy. on the E63, I could dial my family's contacts without looking at the screen. Show it done safely on any swype and i buy you a free mug of your favorite poison! Now because its unsafe - I typically pull over and then dial and continue.
Old 17th June 2011, 05:54   #4016
Senior - BHPian

Tau Defy doesn't have voice dialing ? Also on my phone I can use the numpad for both name & no search, something which I find missing in wife's iPhone.
Old 17th June 2011, 06:50   #4017
Senior - BHPian

ah voice dialing. Now that is a good point. like predictive text - which I didn't use till I got the defy. Let me try voice dialing next time. But even to activate it - I must activate the screen (swipe), then click on ADW dialer, then navigate to dialer screen (ok i can save that), then click on voice button - THEN speak.

In that time, if I was driving, I'd have caused an accident. So even with voice dialing I can't multitask
Old 17th June 2011, 07:39   #4018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
+1 million. Letsbuy needs to pull up their socks for them to remain a relevant business in the long term. Beating an otherwise efficient and awesome company like flipkart in price substantially means they would anyways not be making much money. They should be careful!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Lets have no doubts about this - Flipkart is WAY better than Letsbuy on every parameter (customer service, promptness, quality of response, website, everything). The only difference is the discount you get with Letsbuy.
Well, going by my experience, Letsbuy was as good as Flipkart, atleast wrt speed. I placed my order after 9PM on the 15th, my package was shipped and the shippping details were intimated to me by 6PM on the 16th, through mail and SMS. I was impressed.
Old 17th June 2011, 09:11   #4019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Well, going by my experience, Letsbuy was as good as Flipkart, atleast wrt speed. I placed my order after 9PM on the 15th, my package was shipped and the shippping details were intimated to me by 6PM on the 16th, through mail and SMS. I was impressed.
I agree. I have gotten six friends of mine to order from there.

Only one (SUV here) got it in 24 hours. Else everyone took 3-6 days. Even my shipping details were by mail not SMS. Even today my order on their website shows "in process".

The problem is their customer care helpline. as of may it was useless. Never got picked up! Their customer care did not have an IVR till mid May - was just a phone which kept on ringing. Have you tried them lately? My cousin was quite fed up of calling that helpline even last friday (but he got his S2 on Tuesday noon) !!
Old 17th June 2011, 10:53   #4020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lack of a physical QWERTY keypad is the ONLY thing missing in an Android.
As someone said, its not problem of the OS, but the manufacturer. Desire Z has a QWERTY, but its not the latest and fastest. Swype is a good option too. X10 mini Pro has, but wouldnt recommend it at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks