Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2011, 12:27   #3901
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Apps / data all remain the same and nothing other than base system is touched during rooting. Only thing is does is, it enables "Superuser" called "root" in various unixes, this is disabled by default on Android.

Once it is done, you can type "su" on command prompt and any command from that point runs with root privileges. Of course, most users will simple use Apps that do it behind the scenes to enable functionality that is not available otherwise.
NetfreakBombay is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 13:30   #3902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Defy owners

Is it true that Defy instruments that have a yellow camera lens are not as good as those with blue or red lens? I believe the yellow ones will not work well after upgrading to higher versions of Andriod, especially in recording videos with 720 resolution.

I got this information from my neighbour, who is a gadget geek. He also owns a Defy which he bought from letsbuy a month ago, and it also has a yellow lens. One can observe the lens in bright light to see the colour.
I thought they came in only Two colors, Red and Green. I am not sure about the yellow and blue, however for more info on the Green and the red ones, check the link below.

[ANSWER] Does my Defy have a RED or a Green lens? - xda-developers
Old 13th June 2011, 14:03   #3903
Senior - BHPian

I am going to go the unrevoked3 way too root, and reflash my phone. Since mine is a Desire PVT4 version, heard that ClockworkMod recovery version 2.5.0.7 which is installed by unrevoked3 will not work properly in PVT4 Desires. I do not know whether this stands true even now; Or in other words, no idea whether unrevoked3 installs the same Clockworkmod recovery. Read somewhere that A newer version of ClockworkMod recovery will work fine in newer Desires (PVT4).

Question1: Is there a way to know which version of ClockworkMod recovery is bundled with the download of unrevoked3 at present? Have anyone used another recovery tool image to install (like AmonRA) during rooting procedure using unrevoked3?

Question2: If anyone has used unrevoked3 very recently (this month), will you please let me know the version of ClockworkMod recovery which got installed?

Attached is a screenshot of my boot screen:
Name:  BootscreenHTCDesire.png
Views: 727
Size:  11.7 KB

Last edited by clevermax : 13th June 2011 at 14:11.
Old 13th June 2011, 15:02   #3904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
P.P.S. When I flashed the European GB and the phone booted, it was in Russian! For a minute I was pissed that I'll again have to flash back to Froyo/Custom ROM.

Luckily I navigated to settings and changed the language to English. So essentially it was just a language thingy!
Is this the official link to a GB upgrade to Galaxy ACE? Can you provide me with the link (if possible) and steps if any to upgrade from Froyo to this.
Old 13th June 2011, 15:04   #3905
Senior - BHPian

Another useful info for anyone looking forward to root the Desire

PVT4 has two types, with earasesize 20000 and 40000. As stated in my earlier post, Clockworkmod recovery will have problems in PVT4 Desires with erasesize 40000. Now how do you check erasesize? Just see the screenshot below.

It is in /proc/mtd file
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-mtd4.jpg

Obviously, mine is a PVT4 Desire with erasesize 20000. Hurray! I can root using unrevoked3 and install the default Clockworkmod recovery and the flash CM7.

If you have PVT4 with erasesize 40000, that means the Desire has got a newer NAND chip. Taking backups and flashing custom ROMs may fail with Clockworkmod recovery older version.

Last edited by clevermax : 13th June 2011 at 15:15.
Old 13th June 2011, 15:31   #3906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Simple question: What happens after rooting? Will my existing ROM with all my apps and data exist there without any change and work as before OR I have to restore everything from a backup?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Apps / data all remain the same and nothing other than base system is touched during rooting. Only thing is does is, it enables "Superuser" called "root" in various unixes, this is disabled by default on Android.

Once it is done, you can type "su" on command prompt and any command from that point runs with root privileges. Of course, most users will simple use Apps that do it behind the scenes to enable functionality that is not available otherwise.
Rooting is nothing but enabling your phone to have 'Admin rights'. I dont understand why it's made out to be such a major issue. It's a fairly simple and 2 minute process and wont (usually) brick your phone - unless one is really careless or some fate of God happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Is this the official link to a GB upgrade to Galaxy ACE? Can you provide me with the link (if possible) and steps if any to upgrade from Froyo to this.
Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: S5830XXKPH.rar

(Source: News - www.SamFirmware.com)

This is as "official" as it gets. There's no Asia/India version released yet. So you have to flash the European one.
Old 13th June 2011, 15:33   #3907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post

you need any other feedback?
Thanks raghu for the feedback, i read a few reviews and xda forum after i posted that question so other than what you've mentioned the only thing i'll miss is probably the Gorilla glass. Its still a steal at this price i guess! Camera and music player being crappy don't matter to me.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 13th June 2011 at 15:34. Reason: removed long quote
Old 13th June 2011, 15:36   #3908
BHPian

Guys, I need some help.

I am trying to connect android phone (HD2) to the laptop through wifi, using WiFi explorer downloaded from android market.

Scenario 1: Laptop is connected to internet through wifi modem. Mobile is connected to internet though wifi modem. Now I open the WiFi explorer and could see both wifi status and wifi connected as Green. But when I browse the specfied url from the laptop it says "page not found".

Scenario 2: I created the laptop as Wifi Access Point with Adhoc connection. Then the mobile is connected directly to the laptop, but it says that "obtaining ip address.." then disconnects. I used Shared with WEP authentication and Adhoc connection selected.

Scenario 3: Now I enabled WiFi Hotspot in mobile and laptop connects to mobile phone directly. When I open WiFi explorer from mobile, it displays "wifi status" as red.

Any suggestions ?
Old 13th June 2011, 15:53   #3909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Defy owners

Is it true that Defy instruments that have a yellow camera lens are not as good as those with blue or red lens? I believe the yellow ones will not work well after upgrading to higher versions of Andriod, especially in recording videos with 720 resolution.

I got this information from my neighbour, who is a gadget geek. He also owns a Defy which he bought from letsbuy a month ago, and it also has a yellow lens. One can observe the lens in bright light to see the colour.
Your geek friend is most likely clueless. I've read easily over 3000+ posts on the XDA CM7 thread. There is only red and green. Motorola Defy Ownership | FreeRiding has a link of XDA which talks only of red/green. blue is a new one in germany. mine is red. There is no yellow unless he got a brand new lot which XDA has not heard of!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
No OC'ing possible for me! Ace processor is already factory OC'ed. It's actually ARM 600 mhz proccy, the same in LGOO1. It has been OC'ed to 800 Mhz by samsung.
haila. badmash. try 900 mhz then. kuch toh le le bhai.

Quote:
Simple question: What happens after rooting? Will my existing ROM with all my apps and data exist there without any change and work as before OR I have to restore everything from a backup?
Does knowing the admin password of your office machine erase any data?

Similarly, root is giving applications the permission to control key parts of the phone - that does not mean anything will be erased. ofc, if you choose to enable root for some wrong software then that's your mistake. But such apps are few/far between. If you stick to the highly downloaded/well recommended apps on the android market, you are safe.
Old 13th June 2011, 16:02   #3910
BHPian

I've managed to find a nice stable custom ROM for my Droid. Only problem is, I still sometimes face crashes/hangs in the gallery. Everytime I go into the gallery to view pics and turn my phone sideways for a landscape view it crashes and jumps back to the gallery view. No idea why it does this.

The ROMs name is ice and fire, you can find it on the xda milestone sub section. This ROM is super quick, gives you more battery and comes with a 1ghz overclock mod. I'm happy with it so far.
Old 13th June 2011, 18:11   #3911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Your geek friend is most likely clueless. I've read easily over 3000+ posts on the XDA CM7 thread. There is only red and green. Motorola Defy Ownership | FreeRiding has a link of XDA which talks only of red/green. blue is a new one in germany. mine is red. There is no yellow unless he got a brand new lot which XDA has not heard of!!
Looks like either he or I were confused with the colours. I checked mine using the link you've given and it looks like I've got a green lense. Is it an earlier model, and do I need to escalate to letsbuy? When the customer service called me for feedback, I mentioned this, but he was clueless, and even unaware of the lense colours. All he said was that they receive and send sealed pieces.
Old 13th June 2011, 19:06   #3912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

One more qn. Rooting voids warranty but is there a way to perfectly 'unroot' the phone once rooted?

If that's possible, it will be useful if we have to claim warranty if some hardware component like camera goes out of order for example.

EDIT: Found this site now, if anyone wants to revert to the original ROM your phone came with, here it is.

Last edited by clevermax : 13th June 2011 at 19:35.
Old 13th June 2011, 20:13   #3913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One more qn. Rooting voids warranty but is there a way to perfectly 'unroot' the phone once rooted?
Usually is you have just rooted, then unrooting is simple enough To be sure, you can even take a backup and do "Hardware reset" before sending device for repairs.
Old 13th June 2011, 21:02   #3914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Usually is you have just rooted, then unrooting is simple enough To be sure, you can even take a backup and do "Hardware reset" before sending device for repairs.

Really? Does hard reset switch everything back to original (As in when the phone was bought) state? I mean do I get back the stock RUU and the factory ROM which it came shipped with?

And yes, you mean 'hard reset' right?

Last edited by clevermax : 13th June 2011 at 21:03.
Old 13th June 2011, 21:13   #3915
Senior - BHPian

I successfully rooted my Optimus One using z4root. Installed Adfree, Titanium BackUp etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks