Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2011, 12:54   #3796
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
As an Indian - a jugaad is good enough for us, no?
I'm not saying that the Moto's are unbreakable; nothing is. Just that the community prefers HTC's and Samsung's anyday over Motorola; Go and have a look on XDA and you will find 10 times more battle strength for HTC than for Moto...
Old 9th June 2011, 13:02   #3797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I'm not saying that the Moto's are unbreakable; nothing is. Just that the community prefers HTC's and Samsung's anyday over Motorola; Go and have a look on XDA and you will find 10 times more battle strength for HTC than for Moto...
Ah yes, mon ami. I am saying something different.

I am saying its breakable and hence worth considering. No point completely avoiding motorola. Esp when they have unique phones like the Defy.

Though - My wife is getting her iPad2 - the Xoom doesn't even come into contention I'm not recommending any other motorola product. I'm saying be opportunistic - heck, I would dare say that the Spice MI-410 would be a good phone for harshal.

I know a coworker whose had the Ideas U6 (what it actually is called) for a long time now and no issues whatsoever. It was gifted to him by Huawei. I alsoknow friends with Spice MI-300 and they are completely satisfied with it being total VFM. So I would recommend even Spice MI-410 and not hold any grudges against any organization!
Old 9th June 2011, 13:07   #3798
Distinguished - BHPian

guys one genuine doubt. A lot of forums are going on about offers on the Galaxy s2 + a Screen guard. My question is: Isn't the phone supporting a gorilla glass display? Which is supposed to be scratch proof and will not break on falling? Then why do you need a screen protector on top of it? Also doesn't a screen protector hamper the touch function in the phone?
Old 9th June 2011, 13:15   #3799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Esp when they have unique phones like the Defy.
The build quality of this Moto may be tougher but by no stretch of the imagination is it unique. There are lots of good phones with similar specs in that price range.

I'm not against any one brand; I like them all; Just commented on the general community feeling...
Old 9th June 2011, 13:41   #3800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And calling the XCD35 chinese is an illogical argument - because even the iPhone is made in China. Have you used it long enough? I have an XCD28 in the family and its decent.
Dell has just rebranded a Chinese phone and named it XCD35. That Chinese phone is ZTE Blade. For that matter, even XCD 28 is from the same chinese manufacturer.Therefore, no wonder, that they source it cheap and sell it cheap. Even Dell Venue, is the same.
http://wwwen.zte.com.cn/en/products/...15_196076.html
You can't call an Iphone chinese just because it's contract manufactured in China. All softwares, design,etc are Apples proprietory and the specifics are decided and handed over to the manufacturers. It's just cheaper to manufacture in China.

Quote:
heck, I would dare say that the Spice MI-410 would be a good phone for harshal.
Infact, that's a very good suggestion.
Spice and Olive have rebranded again a chinese phone.But Olive sells it at some 19k odd and Spice at 14K.
And if it suits anybody to buy it, why not. Infact, I was even toying with the idea of exchanging my phone for this

Quote:
I know a coworker whose had the Ideas U6 (what it actually is called) for a long time now and no issues whatsoever. It was gifted to him by Huawei. I alsoknow friends with Spice MI-300 and they are completely satisfied with it being total VFM. So I would recommend even Spice MI-410 and not hold any grudges against any organization!
It's Huawei Ideos X6!! Nice configuration for the price. And seriously, for people who don't care about the brand name on their phone, these phones make the best deal. But I am not sure about the suppor they would get from the manufacturer.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 9th June 2011 at 13:55.
Old 9th June 2011, 13:52   #3801
Senior - BHPian

For a BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO ANDROID, Please refer here - Beginners Guide To Android - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums
Old 9th June 2011, 14:14   #3802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am saying its breakable and hence worth considering. No point completely avoiding motorola. Esp when they have unique phones like the Defy.
Have to disagree here. Just because a phone is breakable, doesn't make it worth considering. Not everyone is interested in rooting their phone.
Old 9th June 2011, 15:30   #3803
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Defy users (phamilyman, ohcvtec, etc) for suggesting how to get GPRS back onto my smart phone.

I finally found the solution today: I switched on airplane mode (which switches off all network and bluetooth connections) and then switched it off, and presto, EDGE/ GPRS started working !

I am a novice to join the debate over Defy Vs Wildfire S, but what I do know is that the Defy has a larger screen and better resolution. The clinching factor is its water-resistance. I would not hesitate to pay Rs 3000 more for these features, moreso when people in my family lost 3 phones owing to water seepage. As far as I know, the difference is Rs 2000 and not Rs 3000, but I may be wrong.

Generally people go by 'herd mentality' when it comes to buying phones or cars, but I am certainly not one of them. Else I might be owning a Dzire (no offence to Dzire owners)

A good product needs to be given credit, despite its manufacturer's reputation. As regards Motorola, my Razr v3i lasted me more than 5 years and it is still going strong (though it is now a spare phone). My wife's and kid's Nokia and Sony mobiles did not last even 3 years.

Those were my two cents.
Old 9th June 2011, 15:58   #3804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks Defy users (phamilyman, ohcvtec, etc) for suggesting how to get GPRS back onto my smart phone.

I finally found the solution today: I switched on airplane mode (which switches off all network and bluetooth connections) and then switched it off, and presto, EDGE/ GPRS started working !

I am a novice to join the debate over Defy Vs Wildfire S, but what I do know is that the Defy has a larger screen and better resolution. The clinching factor is its water-resistance. I would not hesitate to pay Rs 3000 more for these features, moreso when people in my family lost 3 phones owing to water seepage. As far as I know, the difference is Rs 2000 and not Rs 3000, but I may be wrong.

Generally people go by 'herd mentality' when it comes to buying phones or cars, but I am certainly not one of them. Else I might be owning a Dzire (no offence to Dzire owners)

A good product needs to be given credit, despite its manufacturer's reputation. As regards Motorola, my Razr v3i lasted me more than 5 years and it is still going strong (though it is now a spare phone). My wife's and kid's Nokia and Sony mobiles did not last even 3 years.

Those were my two cents.
That is surprising. Ideally you should not have had to do that. Would be best for you to show it to a knowledgeable fellow around your place. Would be even better for you to Gingerbread it so that we can advise you so much more accurately.

I used the stock UI for a grand total of 1.5 days so I literally have no clue - I didn't even bother learning it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Have to disagree here. Just because a phone is breakable, doesn't make it worth considering. Not everyone is interested in rooting their phone.
Mon ami, you overreact/misinterpret.
DKaile's point (as an enthusiast/super user) was about Motorola being notoriously tough to mod versus Samsung/HTC which are completely open to MOD. My retort was that there is a reliable way to 2nd init and then install any ROM.

Now you selectively quote and change the context - not done. For someone who doesn't want to root his phone/put custom ROMs, Motorola is as good as any other android - then the individual can decide based on specs and the UI (the sense is very nice, though the Blur does have some nice features if the rest of the bloatware can be removed). Thus, for a regular simple user, even dkaile may recommend Motorola.

Last edited by phamilyman : 9th June 2011 at 16:00.
Old 9th June 2011, 18:14   #3805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
Mon ami, you overreact/misinterpret.
I didn't want to quote the entire post. If you think it changed the context, my apologies.
Anyway, my point was a general observation and not specific to Motorola/defy.
Old 9th June 2011, 21:03   #3806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thus, for a regular simple user, may recommend Motorola.
For most users, who are generally not interested with playing with the phone's innards, or really have no use for rooting et al, any good brand like Motorola, Samsung, HTC etc. is highly recommended. Motorola's specifically are known for their rugged build quality though are notorious for slower software updates. However as of today, Samsung is leading the Android pack (better overall hardware), followed closely by HTC (strong on software front specifically the Sense interface, also loved by the developer community the most). LG has also been a recent android entrant and is slowly gaining ground specifically with the Optimus brand. Dell, Huawei and ZTE (some chinese) are also reputed manufacturers though not in the same class. Sony, though well designed, seriously lack on proper software integration and I would recommend people to stay away from their android devices. Olive, Spice etc. are middle level brands and their quality is ok though no match for the above competitors.

I would however recommend people to stay away from the cheap chinese stuff a la many small brands flooding our market with cheap android devices unless budget is a constraint.

Last edited by dkaile : 9th June 2011 at 21:08.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2011, 23:44   #3807
Senior - BHPian

Okay guys,

Finally got my Defy this morning. All credit goes to Phamilyman for pushing my budget up by at least 4k. :P

Finding it notoriously difficult to use. I activated a 600MB GPRS plan for Rs. 28 on Idea in Delhi. But now I have run out of balance. While this isn't really the phone's fault, how do I turn off the GPRS?

Also, how do I exit applications (without downloading a task-killer)?

Is it possible to access internet through a USB connection to an online computer?

Other than all this, the phone looks bloody awesome! The camera quality isn't too great, but I don't really care. The screen is awesome and the high resolution lends a very vibrant look to the screen. No lag experienced in anything so far!

Cheers.
Old 9th June 2011, 23:47   #3808
BHPian

Bought a dell xcd 35 today. Haven't updated to 2.2 yet. will do that in about a weeks time. Once done, I guess I would be asking for all kinds of advice about it! Thank you guys, this happens to be the first thing I have bought (for myself these days, i tend to be a stingy goose when its spending for myself) after getting inputs here.

OT ->> (Next perhaps is the D90? MM550 doesn't have a chance :( , (this year) perhaps an old bolero? very hopeful me .)
Old 10th June 2011, 00:58   #3809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Bought a dell xcd 35 today.

OT ->> (Next perhaps is the D90? MM550 doesn't have a chance :( , (this year) perhaps an old bolero? very hopeful me .)
how much you paid dude? even i am planning to buy one for myself. after couple of days of usage, kindly update us about the battery backup, pros and cons.

OT --> D90? planning for Nikon D90 camera? Super choice
Old 10th June 2011, 02:49   #3810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
As regards Motorola, my Razr v3i lasted me more than 5 years and it is still going strong (though it is now a spare phone). My wife's and kid's Nokia and Sony mobiles did not last even 3 years.
Those were my two cents.
Not just the Razrs but also its cousins like the L6, L7, L7i, L9, etc., are real long lasting and tough. However, these were supposed to be Moto's own products. The ones that I'v disassembled were manufactured in Singapore. Current offerings like the Xt3, Xt5 are reported to be contract manufactured in China by Foxconn. So I'm not sure if we are looking at the same quality here. Anybody knows about the orgin of Defy? Is it also manufactured by Foxconn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Why do most Android applications lack the 'exit' option? They could have atleast provided a 'x' button the applications when they are listed during prolonged 'home' button.
It would be worthwhile to note that it is the apps that DON'T have an exit button that are the ones coded as they should be. Several weeks ago, I had an interesting discussion with Tamás Barta, the dev of Elixir. In a nutshell, the apps that do have an exit button use the "System.exit(0)" call to exit the application which wipes out more than its supposed to; and is of course not recommended in Android. Will post the discussion here tomorrow, if I can find it. Btw, Elixir is a very nice app, and those wanting to get below the hood may find it useful.

Last edited by Raccoon : 10th June 2011 at 03:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks