Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2012, 16:48   #11296
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
So far, I have not encountered a single error/ issue (touchwood).
I had used an August NIGHTLY and was just about able to use it for 1 day. Something happened while roaming and I had to re download my data off Google I was not able to reinstall that Nightly and went into Bootloops.

Then I went to Paranoid Android V 2.0 and was using it for about a week. Superb UI and nice experience but became extremly laggy after one week of using. Half my apps would not open correctly in JB NO FCs just way too slooooww!!

Came back to DEFY AMOLED GREEN ROM

My bench mark has been to play Temple Run for more than 10 minutes to see how the phone behaves. The Battery temperature is criticial and if it exceeds 40 deg C then the discharge rate increases rapidly!
Old 10th September 2012, 17:24   #11297
Senior - BHPian

It is true that the phone gets hot - I experienced that when using Google Navigation while the phone was mounted on the windshield suction cup mount yesterday in the afternoon. Total time span was around 45 minutes or so.

Then I turned off GPS and 3G
Old 10th September 2012, 17:57   #11298
Senior - BHPian

Guys, am still not getting the Micromax A90 in brick-n-mortar stores in Bangalore. Atleast around Koramangala. Anyone know if they are available in stores in Bangalore yet?
Old 10th September 2012, 18:12   #11299
BANNED

Hi Everyone,

I m probably the newest TBHPian to enter the Droid world and am a complete novice here.

I purchased an SGS3 last week from Nairobi since it was cheaper there and have now brought it to India.

To begin with, I want to install the best possible voice based navigation system in it like the OVI Maps that my earlier Co provided E-72 had.
OVI Maps were not the best when it came to knowing roads but the voice based guidance was nice and I liked it whenever I used it.

I do not mind paying some money to the site/Co for good stuff.

Can someone guide me here?
Old 10th September 2012, 18:41   #11300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
To begin with, I want to install the best possible voice based navigation systemin it like the OVI Maps that my earlier Co provided E-72 had.
Given "Best" is subjective, I would suggest:

1. Use built-int Google navigation. It has features that no one else has (E.g. Live traffic). You can speak the destination instead of typing etc.
2. Turn on "Offline" Navigation (Like OVI Maps) so that map data is saved locally and it would go online only for things like traffic.
3. If you don't like Google maps, you can purchase Sygic Maps from App Store. it would cost around 2k.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 10th September 2012 at 18:43.
Old 10th September 2012, 18:52   #11301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then I went to Paranoid Android V 2.0 and was using it for about a week. Superb UI and nice experience but became extremly laggy after one week of using. Half my apps would not open correctly in JB NO FCs just way too slooooww!!
More than the Rom it has to do with the kernel. The JB built with newer kernel for example in Note (Hydracore) is absolutely smooth, slick and fast.

More than battery drain the charging is absolutely accelerated for some reason.
Old 10th September 2012, 21:13   #11302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
More than the Rom it has to do with the kernel. The JB built with newer kernel for example in Note (Hydracore) is absolutely smooth, slick and fast.

More than battery drain the charging is absolutely accelerated for some reason.
Not on defy. There are only two devices, each with a standard kernel - there's no variations AFAIK

@devdath da - there's a 7 day trial on sygic. use that for a dekko along with gmaps.
Old 10th September 2012, 22:48   #11303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
3. If you don't like Google maps, you can purchase Sygic Maps from App Store. it would cost around 2k.
Sygic costs about Rs. 3000 from Google Play store.
Old 10th September 2012, 23:05   #11304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Came back to DEFY AMOLED GREEN ROM
Is this a GB or ICS ROM?
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I m probably the newest TBHPian to enter the Droid world and am a complete novice here.

I purchased an SGS3 last week from Nairobi since it was cheaper there and have now brought it to India.

To begin with, I want to install the best possible voice based navigation system in it like the OVI Maps that my earlier Co provided E-72 had.
OVI Maps were not the best when it came to knowing roads but the voice based guidance was nice and I liked it whenever I used it.

I do not mind paying some money to the site/Co for good stuff.

Can someone guide me here?
1. Navfree is your best starting point. It utilizes Open Street Maps and they are quite accurate for major cities
2. Next good free option is to utilize Google Navigation if you are using it within the four main cities that it covers
3. Finally you can try out Sygic. The paid version is for 3k and they have a 14 day trial as well
Old 10th September 2012, 23:07   #11305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sygic costs about Rs. 3000 from Google Play store.
Or you can buy direct from Sygic site. If you are interested in buying maps for countries other than India as well, that might be easier.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 10th September 2012 at 23:09.
Old 11th September 2012, 06:29   #11306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Is this a GB or ICS ROM?
It is from

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1350451

Cheers
Old 11th September 2012, 08:24   #11307
Senior - BHPian

I'm getting increasingly irritated with the poor battery life of CM10 on Defy+. Over the last few days, I've also noticed a connectivity issue. When I wake up in the morning, my phone does not have 3G. I guess this is because when it goes in deep sleep, mobile data gets switched off. Now even when I enable Wifi and disable it to get 3G back, it sometimes does not obey. The only option is a reboot. This is annoying.

I was thinking of trying out the GB ROMs and saw CM7 has one stable (7.2) version and 3 RC versions. Which one to go?

Are all of these based on Froyo kernel or there is a version of GB kernel as well?

EDIT - Quarx has abandoned CM9/ICS development. Plus I don't see much of a difference between ICS and JB builds. Any other ICS ROM?

Would have loved to try out WIUI (2.9.10+ for Defy+), but the dev himself calls it experimental and reports many bugs (poor battery, phone getting hot etc.)

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 11th September 2012 at 08:28.
Old 11th September 2012, 08:41   #11308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, am still not getting the Micromax A90 in brick-n-mortar stores in Bangalore. Atleast around Koramangala. Anyone know if they are available in stores in Bangalore yet?
If you have to wait, why not wait for flipkart to deliver it to you in 3-5 days? The site says stocks are available; just checked now.

Unless you get some really good deals in local stores at Bangalore.
Old 11th September 2012, 08:45   #11309
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Everyone,
For someone new .. this is a good place to checkout the commonly used Apps (mostly free)
https://sites.google.com/site/chesandroidapps/
Old 11th September 2012, 08:53   #11310
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
3. Finally you can try out Sygic. The paid version is for 3k and they have a 14 day trial as well
Thank you Nishant. Is Sygic the same as the Sygic advertised by MapMyIndia on their website? If yes, then it is of no use since it is not compatible with the Ice Cream Sandwich OS that the SGS3 has. I had called MMI and confirmed it yesterday.

Does Sygic have voice based navigation too?

Most Viewed