Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2017, 16:13   #26296
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
Hi,Can anyone help me out with an issue with WHATSAPP in my wife's phone.What happens is that when i delete the chat all media viz the photographs get deleted from the whatsapp images in the gallery ...
I think that is what is supposed to happen. Gallery is looking at Whatsapp data: delete it in Whatsapp and... it's gone.

Two possible solutions...

1. rather long-winded: don't delete a whole chat, just prune the unwanted old text. Let the media remain.

2. Copy/move the wanted media elsewhere, either to another location on your phone or to a computer, OTG thumbdrive, etc.

By the way: my experience is that when I use a file manager to delete Whatsapp media, Whatsapp keeps a thumbnail of it. I can still see that in the chat, but it says something like media no longer available.
Old 19th September 2017, 16:17   #26297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Do not delete all chats together.

Open an individual chat, go to the three dots (settings - top right corner), select more, select "clear chat" and in the dialogue box which appears, de-select the option "delete media from phone".

The above will clear your selected chat and at the same time will not delete the media from your phone/gallery.

Cheers
I did that and it solved my problem, actually i never read the fine print when deleting. cheerio.
Old 19th September 2017, 17:43   #26298
BHPian

Another option is to update to the latest beta on Playstore - which has this new feature giving you fine control over what you want to delete and from which group.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/09...ement-android/

I have updated to the beta and this is a much needed feature - that hopefully everyone will get soon.
Old 19th September 2017, 18:52   #26299
Senior - BHPian

Been using a Nexus 6P for a year and 9 months now and it is one of the best phones I've used. Post the Nougat update, users started reporting some problems - Battery drain and the bootloop of death.

I had the battery problems where the phone would shut down around charge levels of 15-25% and a few days back my phone randomly went into bootloop! Luckily an XDA member has found a fix where 4 of the 8 cores on the Snapdragon 810 can be shut off to revive the phone.

What gets my goat is that Google and Huawei have washed their hands off this blaming each other for the issue. Huawei wants 24k to change the motherboard !
This whole experience has left a very bad taste with Google. So much for buying their flagship phone and it gets killed by their own software !
Now using a quad core Nexus 6P and wondering which phone will be a worthwhile upgrade.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 19th September 2017 at 18:53.
Old 19th September 2017, 18:56   #26300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Open an individual chat, go to the three dots (settings - top right corner), select more, select "clear chat" and in the dialogue box which appears, de-select the option "delete media from phone".
Sorry, I missed your post. Your answer is way better than mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
Another option is to update to the latest beta on Playstore - which has this new feature giving you fine control over what you want to delete and from which group.
Thanks to you to. That sounds very useful.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th September 2017 at 18:58.
Old 19th September 2017, 20:07   #26301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Now using a quad core Nexus 6P and wondering which phone will be a worthwhile upgrade.
If you are sticking with Android and want a replacement, two phones come to mind.
1. Google Pixel or the + if you like huge screen size
2. One Plus 5

I know the pixel is due for an updated model to be released soon so the Pixel can be had for a bargain if you can wait for the Pixel 2 to be launched.
One plus 5 out of the box is a pretty good deal even for the 6GB RAM variant but the 8GB one will have you covered for an year or so more.

Both these are stock android with no mfg. overlay on top. Should be a good alternative to your Nexus.
Old 19th September 2017, 20:38   #26302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In the mid-range, the Mi A1 is a good option.

Stock Android, great build, decent specs and guaranteed Android O & P updates.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th September 2017 at 20:39.
Old 19th September 2017, 21:16   #26303
BHPian

I got the MI A1 yesterday. Initial impressions are very good. I am impressed with the build quality. Performance is also satisfactory. Haven't tested the phone in full. Please let me know if you have any specific questions. I will try to answer them tomorrow.

P.S - the audio output via headphones is too good
Old 19th September 2017, 21:25   #26304
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
The G6 is a better option over the V20. Couple of improvements, even the DAC sounds damn good. Lot of positives in favor of G6 and with the upcoming sale you might get it at a good rate.

Avoid the V20 - bulky, boot loop issues, issues with battery drain etc.

Picked up Bose QC35? Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless?
The screen of the S7 just invites me more.

I got the Sony MDR-1000X. I even made a small review of it. Have a look here

Last edited by agambhandari : 19th September 2017 at 21:26.
Old 19th September 2017, 21:51   #26305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What gets my goat is that Google and Huawei have washed their hands off this blaming each other for the issue. Huawei wants 24k to change the motherboard !
This whole experience has left a very bad taste with Google. So much for buying their flagship phone and it gets killed by their own software !
I had the same problems, i had to do multiple follows up and some nasty emails they agreed to issue me a replacement. The replacement while of same capacity was with a different color(original was silver, replacement was black). That device somehow auto enrolled in Oreo beta program.

Last week that device also restarted once on its own. I had read last week about Google replacing 6Ps with Pixel XL. I tried my luck and I am now waiting for my brand new Pixel XL (black).

Btw my phone is less than an year old & is still under warranty.

So if you are also under warranty I suggest you keep reaching out to Google & insist that the issue continues and that they should give you a replacement.
Old 19th September 2017, 22:08   #26306
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The One plus 5 looks like the most logical (price & performance) phone to match the Nexus. Let's c!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I had the same problems, i had to do multiple follows up and some nasty emails... .
Did you buy your phone in India? Google is only supporting phones bought off the Google store in the US. I reached out to them and they are directing me to Huawei.

My phone is 1 yr and 9 months old, so well out of warranty.
Old 19th September 2017, 22:24   #26307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/09...ement-android/

I have updated to the beta and this is a much needed feature - that hopefully everyone will get soon.
This is good info, will try it.
Old 19th September 2017, 23:02   #26308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you buy your phone in India? Google is only supporting phones bought off the Google store in the US. I reached out to them and they are directing me to Huawei.
No, mine is bought in USA from Google store.
Old 19th September 2017, 23:31   #26309
Senior - BHPian

I finally updated my Oneplus 3 this weekend from Marshmallow to Nougat after holding out for months. Overall its ok, nothing much to complain about or to like, its pretty similar to the previous version. Battery life after the update had reduced by 20% or so but now its settled in somewhere between 5-10% lower. This is during active use though, it does save more power when idle, Im guessing due to improvements in Doze.
I do have three tiny issues that kind of bug me, but hopefully you guys can help.

1] I have the habit of clearing apps immediately after using them, its almost a reflex action now. Press the square button and swipe the app off the screen, quickly press the home button. The problem is, in the Nougat version of OxygenOS, when you hit the square button, there is now a bit Close All button right above the home button (I use On screen Buttons) and the minimised active app pane seems to be right at the bottom of the screen with only about 1cm visible instead of in line with previous apps towards the top. Due to this I keep closing all my apps and windows either while swiping or hitting the home button. Its really annoying. Is there a way to get rid of the close all button or atleast have the front app be positioned a bit higher ?

2] Notifications pane. The new design isnt completely to my liking however what anooys me is that its more intrusive now. Is it possible say for Whatsapp to only vibrate in the background while im using another active app instead of popping up in the middle ? This was what used to happen in the previous version.

3] Two of my Apps dont auto start when I restart my phone, eve though all relevant sliders are enabled. Mainly my WiFi Manager and Battery Monitor. The notification area icons and panes in the slide down window only appear if I open the Apps manually after a restart.

In fact, just after the upgrade many settings such as call vibration, etc only started working after I turned them off and then on again.

Any help would be appreciated
Old 19th September 2017, 23:41   #26310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The One plus 5 looks like the most logical (price & performance) phone to match the Nexus. Let's c!
Curious what you think of the Honor 8 Pro? Folks with both devices rate them equally, and the camera wise, H8P is a bit better except in low light.

In other news, I'm having last minute doubts on buying the S8 - can't believe 58k will get me a phone with just 4GB RAM and I need to spend another 10%. Only the HTC is slightly cheaper and has clearly better specs. I have called almost ten stores that were once listed on HTC's website. Most have either shut down or don't keep the HTC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks