Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2017, 18:50   #26416
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post

Now the only option left for me is to switch operators, but I am quite satisfied with Vodafone and having seen Idea and Airtel, I do not want to ditch Voda.

In a soup right now.
Well that's a bummer!

If you want to stick with Vodafone then you can get a secondary Jio sim for your net usage. I suppose it will be more than enough combined with the competitive tariff it currently provides.

Any idea if RN4 supports Airtel 4G. I am on Idea 4G now but just today made an MNP application to switch to Airtel as Idea network coverage is quite poor at my home. Glad that I didn't go with Vodafone, it was at a close second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Frequency bands can vary from Circle to Circle.

As far as I can see, Airtel uses only Band 3 and you shouldn't have a problem.
Thanks for the heads up.☺️

Last edited by Sherlocked : 29th September 2017 at 18:59.
Old 29th September 2017, 18:57   #26417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Well that's a bummer!

If you want to stick with Vodafone then you can get a secondary Jio sim for your 4G needs. I suppose it will be more than enough combined with the competitive tariff it currently provides.

Any idea if RN4 supports Airtel 4G. I am.on Idea 4G now but just today made an MNP application to switch to Airtel as Idea network coverage is quite poor at my home. Glad that I didn't go with Vodafone, it was at a close second.
Frequency bands can vary from Circle to Circle.

As far as I can see, Airtel uses only Band 3 and you shouldn't have a problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airtel_India#4G
Old 29th September 2017, 19:08   #26418
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea if RN4 supports Airtel 4G. I am on Idea 4G now but just today made an MNP application to switch to Airtel as Idea network coverage is quite poor at my home. Glad that I didn't go with Vodafone, it was at a close second.
Yes, it does work with Airtel 4G.

Check here: https://willmyphonework.net
Old 29th September 2017, 19:46   #26419
Senior - BHPian

Shifted to Android Oreo today. Pretty impressed with the ROM!

Everything I need is working; having troubles getting Magisk to run reliably. If thats done, I'm all set!

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-oreo.jpeg
Old 29th September 2017, 20:07   #26420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
I can feel you I am not sure why Xiaomi had to do this.
Quote:
Well that's a bummer!
I will check the return policy and if it allows, I will just return the phone and get a refund. Buy something else.
I am not sure of the return policy.
Old 29th September 2017, 20:48   #26421
BHPian

Quote:
I will check the return policy and if it allows, I will just return the phone and get a refund. Buy something else.
I am not sure of the return policy.
As far as I know, Flipkart only provides 10 days replacement policy. They'll accept return only if the item is out of stock.
Old 29th September 2017, 22:32   #26422
Distinguished - BHPian

My X Play is getting cranky. Yes, it is full of what many would call rubbish: rooted, Xposed, Layers.... but it has run pretty smooth with all that for quite a while.

Maybe I should try a new ROM. I'm worried that the jump from Android M to O might be a bit much for me. Anyway, there will always be the TWRP image to go back to. I guess I have to start by spending some more time on XDA. That always hurts, because good threads tend to be 500-page threads!
Old 29th September 2017, 23:03   #26423
BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know, Flipkart only provides 10 days replacement policy. They'll accept return only if the item is out of stock.
+1 to that. My Redmi Note 4 arrived yesterday from Flipkart and I only see the "Replace" option (no refund) online. Mi.com has the same policy too.
Old 30th September 2017, 02:45   #26424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
You will need more than one take for the perfect shot. No OIS. Surprised to see that few of my shots ended blurred. Never happened with me on Note 5.
Thanks. Just got my U11 and I must admit, for the first time in my life, my phone photos are actually brag worthy - even if it is just taking photos of a barely lit bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Alright guys, thanks for the suggestions a few pages ago.

I've been looking into my next possible Android handset, but it seems the current crop of multi core Android devices aren't really that powerful compared to the A11 bionic chip Apple has put into the iPhone 8 & X. Plenty of benchmarks and videos online to substantiate that.

So here's my question. Are the Android devices really as smooth & lag-free these days when compared with iOS? I can't stand lag and stutter.
Just want to know how a high end Android device feels , and compare it with iOS and understand how it fares in the long term. Because iOS never lags or slows down, even after filling up the device to the brim.
Dont. Simply dont.

As I never tire of repeating, my iPad2 with OS8 still works beautifully. So does a colleague's father's iPhone4 on OS6. My iPhone6 behaved the exact same from Apr 2015 to July 2016 (when water damage killed it) - Android is still not immune to aging.

Just unwrapped the U11. It is jaw droppingly fast (for someone coming from Redmi Note 3), but it is still android -the very occasional app stutter is still there.

To me, the only reason for Android is 2g for voice calls and separate 4G for data because I am a consultant perenially on the road and on conference calls. If I were to be living in Australia (as I once briefly did for work) - I wouldn't use anything except an iPhone. There I had impeccable call quality on 3G (my phone was S3) and not even once did I even switch to 2G. If I had a no travel job, again, it would've been the iPhone.

And if you google, there was this chart with the A11 performing at par with the Macbook 2017 *gasp*.

If you are happy forking out that much (not much over a 3 year period to be honest), nothing comes close. You engage the most with your phone - not even your spouse. No point scrimping IMHO.

@Thad - just unroll back to the ROM it came with. If it ain't broke ........ Dont root it!
Old 30th September 2017, 08:44   #26425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thanks. Just got my U11 and I must admit, for the first time in my life, my phone photos are actually brag worthy - even if it is just taking photos of a barely lit bathroom.
Congratulations, what was the price you paid ? I liked U11 but the battery capacity and no Bezel less design stopped me.
Old 30th September 2017, 11:11   #26426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Sorry about that.

Looking to order 1.

Is the ringtone volume loud enough on the S7 cos I mostly ride around in 2 wheelers. Saw few reviews mentioning about low speaker volume. Hence the query.
Got the S7 delivered couple of days ago. The ringtone volume is more than enough for me when the phone is kept upside down in my jean. But there is network issues with this handset as the signal strength reaches max 3 bars and when I measured the same with open signal app it hovers around -95 to -113 dbm only. Hope to get the handset replaced from flipkart.
Old 30th September 2017, 11:44   #26427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now the only option left for me is to switch operators, but I am quite satisfied with Vodafone and having seen Idea and Airtel, I do not want to ditch Voda.

In a soup right now.
Since this is a dual sim handset and comes with decent memory, get another sim exclusively for internet access. That way, you can have your cake and eat it too.

--Anoop
Old 30th September 2017, 12:19   #26428
BHPian

Waiting eagerly for the LG V30. And the new pixel phones. I think the LG V30 is the pick of the bunch this time around for me
Old 30th September 2017, 12:44   #26429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Since this is a dual sim handset and comes with decent memory, get another sim exclusively for internet access. That way, you can have your cake and eat it too.

--Anoop
My plan with vodafone is dirt cheap. 350 a month with unlimited calls, SMS and 1gb a day 4g.
Old 30th September 2017, 14:56   #26430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Maybe I should try a new ROM.
Don't. The first thing you are going to spoil is the camera quality. Then there are the bugs. You will find a lot of them. Better do a system reset, and if that doesn't help downgrade to an earlier stock ROM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
I have the V20 and for a 9k difference you get waterproofing, amazing display with dolby vision hdr and thanks to the narrow bezels it becomes more easy to handle.
Thank you!

And then I watched this: http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_v30_red_w...news-27478.php

Guess, I'd wait for the V30 to arrive and then decide.

Last edited by civic-sense : 30th September 2017 at 15:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks