Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2017, 23:42   #26446
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Anyone using a LG G6? Any views on this phone?

Some say the cameras are good, but mostly the camera reviews are bad. So just want to check on some real world usage.
Using one for 5 months. Very very happy. But you do need to work hard for good pics. Some samples with no processing attached.

Absolutely love the wide angle cam. The best reason to get this over the 1+5 is the wide angle. Much more useful than the portrait camera.

Battery life is 1 day easy. You may not get the excess 2GB RAM and the older 821 chipset vs the 835 but this phone is a workhorse. Brilliant screen, IP68 protection and wide angle camera at this price point of 34-36K is proper VFM.

Phone is super underrated.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20170929_202302.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20170927_182439_hdr.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20170927_174821_hdr.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20170927_174006.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20170927_151319_hdr.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20170927_064841_hdr.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20170926_172109_hdr.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20170722_220511.jpg
Old 4th October 2017, 00:16   #26447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I am going to return this Mi A1. Very bad buy.

Need to find a dual sim phone, which truly supports 4G in both the sim slots at a cost of less than 15k. Any recommendations ?
I bought Mi A1 too after looking at endless YouTube reviews praising it for its camera performance. It was 1+5 vs LG G6 vs Mi A1. LG G6 had mixed reviews, 1+5 has screen mounted upside down which is the reason for infamous jelly effect and its not 18:9 either, both did not have IR blaster. In the end after almost buying LG G6 decided to buy Mi A1. I was thinking of replacing it with my redmi note 3.
Bought the black version which is made in China as all black versions were imported initially.
Immediately I felt too suffocated on the stock android. Had to buy ES File explorer as it did not come with any and Pi Music player. I was missing MIUI already within 5 minutes of unboxing. Too enable the battery percentage display you have to unlock the system UI tuner! WHAT! Hence Redmi Note 3 stayed and the i5s went into the drawer for now.
Redmi Note 3 is more powerful than Mi A1 and Redmi Note 4. Mi A1 camera is overrated, way too overrated. The shutter speed was limited to 1/8 as opposed to 1/2 on RN3. But camera quality is only marginally better than RN3. Photos only looks good because of the bokeh effect. Its not a wide angle camera lens at all, telephoto lens quality at 2x zoom looks as if its more of a software zoom than optical zoom. Video recording available only with telephoto lens which is crap. Wish Moto G5s had a magnetic sensor, how can they skip on such a important part!
Looks like Mi and google paid too much to a lot of reviewers to post positive reviews, and looks like I will have to start looking for another phone.
That said, it is a good looking phone and battery though only 3000mhz lasts a day easily. It can perform all tasks given with ease and the best part is the regular Android updates it will receive. Maybe the OS will become better eventually or I will install the Mi 5X MIUI ROM but because Redmi Note 3 is still there to save the day, I am not sure what's going to happen to Mi A1.

Last edited by wrongturn : 4th October 2017 at 00:22.
Old 4th October 2017, 00:36   #26448
BHPian

Re: Good replacement for RN3?

Any feedback on Honor 6X?

My sis lost her RN3 on Mumbai local and I need to get her a new device.
So what would be a worthy replacement for RN3?

I have been looking closely at Honor 6X. The other contenders are Lenovo K6 Power.
She needs a good camera, preferably stereo speakers and obviously good call quality.

Please advise!!
Old 4th October 2017, 01:01   #26449
BHPian

Re: Good replacement for RN3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

I have been looking closely at Honor 6X. The other contenders are Lenovo K6 Power.
She needs a good camera, preferably stereo speakers and obviously good call quality.

Please advise!!
Honor 7x is coming soon, in under 10 days. Wait for it.
edit: just rechecked, it will be launched on 11 October in China, may take sometime to come to India.

Last edited by wrongturn : 4th October 2017 at 01:04.
Old 4th October 2017, 10:28   #26450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Please advise!!
I have both and I clearly prefer the Honor 6x. Excellent dual camera, fast charging though it's not advertised. Both of these are pluses over the K6 Power. Monthly updates is also what surprises me every month on the 6x. So far has been smooth and lag free experience after 6 months of ownership.
Old 4th October 2017, 10:38   #26451
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

My sis l----SNIP____dvise!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I have both and I clearly prefer the Honor 6x. Excellent dual camera, fast charging though it's not advertised. Both of these are pluses over the K6 Power. Monthly updates is also what surprises me every month on the 6x. So far has been smooth and lag free experience after 6 months of ownership.
I concur.
What was supposed to be a stopgap device has turned into a keeper.
I too shifted from the RN3, and this is a really good phone for the price. Lag free, fast camera, Good Camera, and charges in a jiffy as mentioned
Old 4th October 2017, 11:35   #26452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
I bought Mi A1 during Big Billion Day sale.
Very bad choice coming from Mi4i

Following are the issues
1. No inbuilt call recorder. Mi4i had MIU8 which had inbuilt call recorder. Stock android doesn't has it
2. No internet speed indicator. Mi4i, had this option where I could see the speeds on the top bar
3. Biggest issue - 2nd SIM doesn't support 4G, in my case its running 2G. Its highly frustrating to see 2G on the phone. My older phone Mi4i supported 4G in both the sim slots.
Thanks for your 'timely' post. I was about to buy this one (whenever it is available) and after seeing the issues listed, I cannot buy this now. Though first 2 issues from the list i can live with, 3rd one is BIG NO for me.
I am looking for a phone in 12-13k range. Currently I am using G4+, which is having 'ghost touch' issue. And somehow I am not happy with the MOTO series since G4. And I want to buy a phone with 'stock android'. So, I know my options are kind of limited :(
Old 4th October 2017, 11:40   #26453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
And I want to buy a phone with 'stock android'. So, I know my options are kind of limited :(
Redmi note 4 4GB/64GB , root and install custom roms with stock android (nougat & oreo) and more.
Old 4th October 2017, 11:48   #26454
BHPian

To those who are complaining against Mi A1- did you try a factory reset and updated your phone to the latest one? I am not facing any issues mentioned by you. Occasionally there is a network issue, but i can live with it. After close to 3 weeks of usage, I am still happy with Mi A1 and I feel this is the best phone till date by Xiaomi.
Old 4th October 2017, 11:52   #26455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Redmi note 4 4GB/64GB , root and install custom roms with stock android (nougat & oreo) and more.
Thanks for your suggestion. But I am not comfortable with custom ROMs.
Old 4th October 2017, 11:56   #26456
BHPian

Quote:
somehow I am not happy with the MOTO series since G4. And I want to buy a phone with 'stock android'. So, I know my options are kind of limited :(
Have you ruled out Lenovo as well? (I know Motorola has been bought by Lenovo, but they have not really 'merged' their hardware platforms yet as far as I know).

Suggesting Lenovo K8 Note, since Lenovo has ditched their own Vibe OS/UI in favour of stock Android since K8, and the 4 GB variant is available on Amazon for 12k till 8th October. Link below:

https://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-Note-Ve.../dp/B01LZKSUXF
Old 4th October 2017, 12:05   #26457
Team-BHP Support

Was looking for a cheap Android as a back up phone, when i came across 10.or G in amazon. http://www.amazon.in/b?ie=UTF8&node=...&pf_rd_i=10.or

Interesting specs and with an exchange of old E3 power and 10% cash back juicy at about 7k INR Should be receiving it by Monday
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-10.orgspecs_corrected._cb515817960_.jpg

Review here
Old 4th October 2017, 13:16   #26458
BHPian

Quote:
3rd one is BIG NO for me.
I am looking for a phone in 12-13k range.
It is a Dual 4G SIM handset, one 4G SIM active at given time. I can confirm both SIM slots support 4G and I can switch between them (JIO & Airtel).
However, when you go into network settings dialing *#*#4636#*#* you can only choose settings for the active 4G SIM and not both this is a BIG drawback as I cannot choose weather I want to run my airtel SIM on 3G or 2G network, by default its chooses automatically which ever is available, however I used to keep 2nd SIM always on 2G to get better battery life.
Old 4th October 2017, 13:20   #26459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
It is a Dual 4G SIM handset, one 4G SIM active at given time. I can confirm both SIM slots support 4G and I can switch between them (JIO & Airtel).
However, when you go into network settings dialing *#*#4636#*#* you can only choose settings for the active 4G SIM and not both this is a BIG drawback as I cannot choose weather I want to run my airtel SIM on 3G or 2G network, by default its chooses automatically which ever is available, however I used to keep 2nd SIM always on 2G to get better battery life.
Thanks for confirming this. But, as you mentioned, even I have the same practice of keeping the second SIM (non-data) in 2G mode to save the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinium15 View Post
Have you ruled out Lenovo as well? (I know Motorola has been bought by Lenovo, but they have not really 'merged' their hardware platforms yet as far as I know).

Suggesting Lenovo K8 Note, since Lenovo has ditched their own Vibe OS/UI in favour of stock Android since K8, and the 4 GB variant is available on Amazon for 12k till 8th October. Link below:

https://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-Note-Ve.../dp/B01LZKSUXF
I have had two bad experience with Lenovo. Firstly, my friend's friend has Note 4 and he is not at all happy with the phone, with all kind of issues including network. Secondly, I recently brought Z2 plus for my wife and though it has got impressive specs (qualcomm 8xx series chip set), performance is not that great and i was not that happy with their UI. And there is also an issue with the data connection.
But, as you have mentioned, if they have moved to stock android recently, then i will think about it. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by kavensri : 4th October 2017 at 13:24.
Old 4th October 2017, 15:28   #26460
BHPian

Quote:
I have had two bad experience with Lenovo. Firstly, my friend's friend has Note 4 and he is not at all happy with the phone, with all kind of issues including network. Secondly, I recently brought Z2 plus for my wife and though it has got impressive specs (qualcomm 8xx series chip set), performance is not that great and i was not that happy with their UI.
I totally understand. But things seem to have changed for good since Lenovo K5.

I'm myself using Lenovo K6 Power for past 8 months and I'm quite happy with the performance (chose it over Redmi 3s prime due to higher screen resolution and higher number of supported 4G bands - Redmi 3s prime doesn't work in the US).
I think Lenovo build quality and feature-set is at par (if not above) Xiaomi in that price band. (K6 power sold for less than 10k for sometime in Flipkart sale). I'd suggest going through various online reviews for K8 Note/Plus before taking the plunge.

As for ZUK Z2 (aka Lenovo Z2 plus), since Lenovo bought ZUK, but ZUK Z2 runs its own ZUI which is a crazy mix of MIUI and stock android and is a pain to use truly.
I bought the device for my wife simply because of the stellar hardware and superb dev-community support on XDA forums and zukfans.eu.
There are a number of ROMs available for this device. I installed ResurrectionRemix the next of day opening the phone, and she's been very happy with the UI and performance - and she's coming from Nexus 5 stock ROM, so that means a lot to me.
I'd highly recommend flashing LineageOS or AEX4.5 on Zuk Z2 if you're comfortable with meddling with custom ROMs. Your wife will thank you for it

Most Viewed