Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2018, 14:43   #27196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Thanks guys for all the suggestions earlier. Picked up a Redmi Note 5 Pro 6GB version. Just arrived today.
Slick and awesome phone for the price. I'll post some detailed feedback after using it for a day or two. Cheers.
1.5 month update - Me and my wife are both using the 'Redmi Note 5 Pro 6GB' phone now (mine is black, hers is gold). Combined feedback from both phones -

What I like -
  • Never fails to deliver a full day's usability irrespective of workload. There's usually between 15-40% battery left before we plug it in. We usually leave the WiFi, BT and GPS On, all the time. Makes the non-existence of a fast charger a non-issue.
  • Does not heat up, ever.
  • With Auto brightness setting of Display ensures that the phone can be used even under midday strong sun.
  • No lags on any of the games I play or videos. Snappy to use.
  • Absolutely fabulous rear camera in good light. Fairly competent even at night. All this with the stock camera app.
  • Front camera has good speed, colour reproduction, subject isolation - BUT has a tendency to blow the highlights. I have tried various settings on both the phones, but just can't prevent this from happening. On the positive side, it does make one look fairer than they are!
  • Extremely quick Bluetooth pairing and GPS lock.
  • Well built. No issues.

What I don't like -
  • Shows a tendency to prefer the JIO VOLTE data connection, whenever the WiFi connection is even a wee bit weak.
  • Face Unlock is a hit or miss. This is an area of improvement.
  • Device is slightly longer than what I would have liked. I hope in the next iteration MI rids the device of the Bezels altogether.

Last edited by roy_libran : 20th April 2018 at 14:45. Reason: Formatting
Old 21st April 2018, 12:57   #27197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Yes, I used to get an occasional hazy picture (especially if taken in lowish light conditions like indoors or evenings) with the stock camera app. Example:
Checked back and forth and the issue with my phone camera is surely a bad stabilizer unit. This tiny video should give you a better idea:

I visited the service centre near my workplace this morning and they confirmed that the replacement part (camera unit) is not in stock. Turn around time for the part replacement is 10 - 12 days. After preparing the job card, wiping data, etc. I was informed that their larger service centre (also their hardware hub) could complete the job relatively faster (7 days) and would be more experienced in handling the Nokia 8 since this place was just 2 months in the working. Will be dropping the phone at the larger service center on Monday.
Old 21st April 2018, 19:31   #27198
BHPian

Re: Google Contacts Sync Issues!

I don't know what's with google contacts.

Most of the google contacts which I can see on my GMail/Laptop was NOT showing up on the phone. So googled for issue resolutions and some suggested to export the contacts from GMail, delete all the contacts in GMail and import back from the CSV file removing the google plus URLs. Did all these, BUT the import back to google is NOT taking place(Click on 'Import' does NOT do anything). I don't know where I have been wrong OR is this a issue with everyone?

Please advise!
Old 21st April 2018, 19:38   #27199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I don't know what's with google contacts.

Most of the google contacts which I can see on my GMail/Laptop was NOT showing up on the phone. So googled for issue resolutions and some suggested to export the contacts from GMail, delete all the contacts in GMail and import back from the CSV file removing the google plus URLs. Did all these, BUT the import back to google is NOT taking place(Click on 'Import' does NOT do anything). I don't know where I have been wrong OR is this a issue with everyone?

Please advise!
In the contacts app, using the menu on the top right, check if you have all your contacts to be displayed.
Old 21st April 2018, 20:17   #27200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
In the contacts app, using the menu on the top right, check if you have all your contacts to be displayed.
Been there and done that!

It seems to be much more than that. Lots have similar issues. Does any here, have a workaround or found a fix, please share. It's like what contacts we see on GMail/Laptop is NOT there on the Device.
Old 22nd April 2018, 08:14   #27201
Team-BHP Support

My mum has a 2015 Samsung A7 and it still runs 6.0.1. Even on checking for updates, it says the phone has the latest update.

Shouldn't the phone be getting 8, or at least 7?
Old 22nd April 2018, 08:23   #27202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
My mum has a 2015 Samsung A7 and it still runs 6.0.1. Even on checking for updates, it says the phone has the latest update.

Shouldn't the phone be getting 8, or at least 7?
This is a problem with most Samsung phones. Updates stop very early. An A5 at home runs on 6.0.1 too and shows the same ‘your phone has the latest update installed’ notification everytime I try to update manually.

I have faced this with many other Samsung phones too.

On the other hand, iPhones seem to get all the latest updates (even old ones).
Old 22nd April 2018, 08:28   #27203
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
This is a problem with most Samsung phones
Terrible. But most websites say 7 is available for A7.
Old 22nd April 2018, 10:12   #27204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Terrible. But most websites say 7 is available for A7.
My A7 2016 phone is already on Android 7 so Samsung had released the Android 7 version for this phone.
The 2016 version has it but it is possible they did not give it for the 2015 version. In my experience Samsung only give upgrades only for 18-24 months from the phone launch date. Beyond that they give only critical security/ functional updates.

Last edited by Behemoth : 22nd April 2018 at 10:15.
Old 25th April 2018, 13:29   #27205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
What was the error when you say failed to add? I had the exact same problem. I just added a new Indian address on the Google Wallet and made this as the Primary before deleting the old US address.
Once this is done, you will need to delete the phone cache memory and restart the device. That should work.
I do not recall the exact error, but something on the lines of "failed to add" etc from the google wallet page. Each time Rs. 1 is charged to my CC and then reversed in a few days.
The mistake I did was to first delete the old card and payment method, before trying add a new one. I will post a screenshot when I get to a computer where it is not blocked (it is blocked at my workplace).

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Faced the same problem when I moved back to India a few months back.
Followed the instruction on this page.

https://productforums.google.com/for...ay/OdAO7_RSkZ8

Important step is to try to download some payable app after changing the settings. It would show $ currency until the last min. Only at the screen where you are ready to pay, will the currency change to INR.
Thanks, Will try downloading a payable App. Any ultra cheap app for testing that someone can recommend?
Old 25th April 2018, 13:41   #27206
BHPian

For those of you who use a wired hands free on an Android phone, here is a tip, although you may be aware of it.

Typically, when on a conference call, one may want to put themselves in mute and take it off mute only when speaking. It is cumbersome to use the display of the phone to mute and unmute.

An easier way is to long press the button on the microphone piece. This would toggle between mute and unmute.

A short press would disconnect the call though.
Old 25th April 2018, 17:04   #27207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

An easier way is to long press the button on the microphone piece. This would toggle between mute and unmute.

A short press would disconnect the call though.
That feature is not consistent across manufacturers. My erstwhile Samsung S3 behaved as you say, but my Motorola Droid Turbo is the opposite; mutes with a single click and disconnects with press-and-hold.

Moto's way is far more intuitive IMO, as there's a smaller chance I'll long press accidentally. I unintentionally dropped calls on the Samsung far more frequently.
Old 25th April 2018, 17:17   #27208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
That feature is not consistent across manufacturers. My erstwhile Samsung S3 behaved as you say, but my Motorola Droid Turbo is the opposite; mutes with a single click and disconnects with press-and-hold.

Moto's way is far more intuitive IMO, as there's a smaller chance I'll long press accidentally. I unintentionally dropped calls on the Samsung far more frequently.
I agree, a short press to toggle mute and a long press to disconnect would be much better. Mfgs! Are you listening?

Last edited by swissknife : 25th April 2018 at 17:18.
Old 25th April 2018, 17:23   #27209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree, a short press to toggle mute and a long press to disconnect would be much better. Mfgs! Are you listening?
Presumably the manufacturer's user research has told them that the more common use-case is to end the call rather than mute the call, so they made it more accessible.

Product designers face this sort of conundrum all the time I guess. :-)
Old 25th April 2018, 18:15   #27210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Any ultra cheap app for testing that someone can recommend?
The way I read this is you do not need to actually make the purchase.

Quote:
4. Click to begin a download until you reach the "Accept and buy" screen (no need to complete the purchase)
So it does not matter what app you chose to download. Am I reading this wrong?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks