Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2018, 23:56   #27301
BHPian

My Nokia 7 plus arrived today. Used it only for a few hours, but initial impressions are good. Top and bottom bezels are thicker than it should. The curved corners screen are only making it worse. The included tpu case is ready, but it is so light that it does not add to the heft. Phone us blazing fast, and I was thrilled to note that it allowed me to uninstall most of the Google bloatware (play movies, books etc) too.

BTW, I plugged it into my erstwhile nexus 5X's charger and after about 20 mins the phone was very hot, and so was the charger block. I then used the included charger and cable and then the phone cooled down. I checked the output voltage and current of both. Nexus charger - 5V 3A. Nokia charger 5V 2.5A. Higher current rating should not matter really. Any idea what was happening?
Old 21st May 2018, 00:00   #27302
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
BTW, I plugged it into my erstwhile nexus 5X's charger and after about 20 mins the phone was very hot, and so was the charger block. I then used the included charger and cable and then the phone cooled down. I checked the output voltage and current of both. Nexus charger - 5V 3A. Nokia charger 5V 2.5A. Higher current rating should not matter really. Any idea what was happening?
Both phones support different charging technology and you shouldn't have used the Nexus charger with the Nokia.

Nokia supports Qualcomm QuickCharge whereas Nexus supports USB-C Rapidcharge. Quick charge cannot support higher current but varies the voltage. Rapid charge works on fixed voltage but higher current.

Nexus 3A charger on Nokia might cause long term battery damage.
Old 21st May 2018, 06:30   #27303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Have folks here been able to make their Honor phones with android auto? I have seen many struggle and even online forums are replete with questions on how to make them work
I have Honor 5C. It works perfectly fine with Andriod Auto in Scross. Just that the phone has slowed down considerably in normal usage which is felt even in andriod auto as well. Otherwise it is routine connection only.

Did you change the cable and check?
Old 21st May 2018, 06:41   #27304
BANNED

Quote:
My Nokia 7 plus arrived today.
Nokia 7 Plus do get warm while charging. It is mentioned specifically in the FAQ section of support app. How was the call clarity, especially with loud speaker on? Nillkin has a frosted back cover which has a grippy matt texture.
Old 21st May 2018, 07:56   #27305
BHPian

Can you please help me out here. I killed my windows phone few days ago; looking to replace it.

My needs:
5+ hours of talk time on a single charge
Loud and clear ear volume
> 5" display
Dual sim
Long lasting battery

Will be using my laptop and not my phone for playing games, watching movies or listening to music.

After a bit of research, narrowed down to:

1. Honor 7x
2. Nokia 6.1
3. Lenovo K8 Note
4. Moto G5s plus

All are near INR 15k. Have been a windows phone user for many years now. Which one should I go for ?
Old 21st May 2018, 08:08   #27306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
5+ hours of talk time on a single charge
Loud and clear ear volume
> 5" display
Dual sim
Long lasting battery
Try lenovo K8 Plus, has a large 4000 mah battery and is dual sim with octa core helios p25 processor. Quite a decent performer for the price.

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2018 at 13:51. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 21st May 2018, 11:02   #27307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I'm not sure if P20 pro camera is that good to command 65k price. It came last in a phonearena blind test when faced against ipx, s9+ and pixel xl2. I'd rather buy s9+ for this price.
I have not used either cameras, but if what DXOMark says is right, the P20 Pro's camera is leagues ahead of every other phone in the market. So, if I have 65K to splurge, I'd definitely go for the P20 Pro.
Quote:
Add to that Huawei's ugly software compared to cleaner, meaner OP6, its a no-brainer for me.
I am not sure about the earlier versions of EMUI, but the EMUI 8 in my Honor 9 Lite is one of the most beautiful UIs around. Stock Andoid UI has its own reason to have fans, but it is not beautiful by any stretch of imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Nokia 7 Plus do get warm while charging. It is mentioned specifically in the FAQ section of support app. How was the call clarity, especially with loud speaker on? Nillkin has a frosted back cover which has a grippy matt texture.
The FAQ mentions that it gets warm if you are using the phone while charging. And this wasn't really "warm", it was hot. Also my phone came with a 5V charger. Wasn't quick charge supposed to be 9V?

BTW, call quality is worser than the other two phones at home, iPhone 5S and the humble Honor 9 Lite. In isolation it felt quite okay. The speaker sure is real bad. I watch various TV shows on phone and it is sure going to hinder the experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Can you please help me out here. I killed my windows phone few days ago; looking to replace it.
If you liked the Windows phone, Android might disappoint you. Fancy an iPhone?

Last edited by civic-sense : 21st May 2018 at 11:31.
Old 21st May 2018, 11:51   #27308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
Try lenovo K8 Plus, has a large 4000 mah battery and is dual sim with octa core helios p25 processor. Quite a decent performer for the price.
I see phones with 4 and 6 GB RAM these days. Not sure if I want to get one with 3 GB, especially when the price difference is minimal.

Quote:
If you liked the Windows phone, Android might disappoint you. Fancy an iPhone?
I never spend more than 15k on a phone.
Old 21st May 2018, 13:14   #27309
Senior - BHPian

Also purchased one OnePlus 6 8GB/128GB for my daughter at 39999/- on her insistence, at 16k over the Honor 10 that I had purchased for my son. Cashback of 2k will come after 3 months...lolz. Now will actually first hand compare whether it's worth it in a few days.

Cheers...
Old 21st May 2018, 13:51   #27310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Also purchased one OnePlus 6 8GB/128GB for my daughter at 39999/- on her insistence, at 16k over the Honor 10 that I had purchased for my son. Cashback of 2k will come after 3 months...lolz. Now will actually first hand compare whether it's worth it in a few days.

Cheers...
Amazon is showing me 29.9k for OP6 128GB midnight Black variant with exchange. Exchange value for my Mi5 is 5078 rupees.
Honor 10 128GB is 32999 without any exchange. Flipkart is offering 4500 for the Mi5 so with exchange Honor10 price I am getting is around 28k

Last edited by joslicx : 21st May 2018 at 13:54.
Old 21st May 2018, 14:08   #27311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amazon is showing me 29.9k for OP6 128GB midnight Black variant with exchange. Exchange value for my Mi5 is 5078 rupees.
Honor 10 128GB is 32999 without any exchange. Flipkart is offering 4500 for the Mi5 so with exchange Honor10 price I am getting is around 28k
You should have gone for the pre-launch 5K off on exchange offer if you were interested in Honor 10. I will be exchanging an almost crap Redmi 3S at that price. Further, MKBHD has posted a B+ for the OP6 camera and no reviewer is allowed to share OP6 camera review till now. What is OnePlus hiding?

Cheers...

PS - There are 3 Huawei phones in the top 6 in DXOmark ratings.

Last edited by dkaile : 21st May 2018 at 14:11.
Old 21st May 2018, 14:14   #27312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should have gone for the pre-launch 5K off on exchange offer if you were interested in Honor 10. I will be exchanging an almost crap Redmi 3S at that price. Further, MKBHD has posted a B+ for the OP6 camera and no reviewer is allowed to share OP6 camera review till now. What is OnePlus hiding?

Cheers...

Yes I'm not buying OP6 yet. Will wait for more reviews. A camera 80% as good as SG9+ is ok with me. Honor10 lacks OIS so it's off my list (same reason why I didn't buy op5t)
Old 21st May 2018, 14:24   #27313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Honor10 lacks OIS so it's off my list (same reason why I didn't buy op5t)
I am on Note 8 and can say that the camera is brilliant but still lacks in many conditions when I want specific bokeh effects. OIS is overhyped in today's software based scenarios at least in camera phones. Case in point is the Pixel 2 where we can get brilliant bokeh even with a single camera and the additional camera hardware missing. Yes, OIS will play a part if someone is majorly into high definition videos where definitely the shake will be visible. But for 99% of other still and video scenarios, Honor 10's camera seems to be passing with brilliant performance in most international videos I have seen due to the neural AI chip in the hardware. In fact I have a inkling it will be better than the OP6 camera in overall performance even without OIS.

Cheers...
Old 21st May 2018, 19:12   #27314
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers...

Quote:
Yes I'm not buying OP6 yet. Will wait for more reviews. A camera 80% as good as SG9+ is ok with me. Honor10 lacks OIS so it's off my list (same reason why I didn't buy op5t)
Oneplus 6 has the same camera as the Oppo R15 which it is based on. This is what GSM Arena had to say about the R15 Pro camera:

The regular samples turned out very good with lots of detail, excellent contrast, and lively colors. The dynamic range is barely average though - there are lots of blown highlights. There is little oversharpening here and there, and mostly noisy skies. Those are not among the best samples we've witnessed in the class, but are far from being the worst too.

You can check the comparisons with the S9+ and Pixel 2 XL here:

https://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3...&idPhone3=8720
Old 21st May 2018, 19:37   #27315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OIS is overhyped in today's software based scenarios at least in camera phones.
Well, I wouldn't call OIS overhyped thingy. Image stabilization helps you in low light and good OIS can give you 3-4 stops advantage. In our smartphones though it might be couple of stops. This means instead of ISO 3200 you could be shooting at ISO800 and that will improve the looks of your image a lot as it will be less grainy or it can help with higher shutter speed which will improve sharpness of the image. EIS is software skulduggery to achieve the same but it isint as effective in all situations. Hardware is always better.

Quote:
Oneplus 6 has the same camera as the Oppo R15 which it is based on. This is what GSM Arena had to say about the R15 Pro camera:

The regular samples turned out very good with lots of detail, excellent contrast, and lively colors. The dynamic range is barely average though - there are lots of blown highlights. There is little oversharpening here and there, and mostly noisy skies. Those are not among the best samples we've witnessed in the class, but are far from being the worst too.

You can check the comparisons with the S9+ and Pixel 2 XL here:

https://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3...&idPhone3=8720
Sensor might be same but chipset in OP6 is vastly better (snapdragon 845) which means different end results are possible from same sensor.

Anyway, I was going thru the published reviews and some of them are quite positive for OP6 while some are neutral when it comes to camera. Engadget thinks its even better than iPhone x!
Quote:
OnePlus 6 features a much improved camera that even beats the iPhone X
https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/21/oneplus-6-review/

Phonearena is also positive on OP6.
Quote:
We were not particularly impressed with the OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T as the camera was one of their weakest points, we feel like the OnePlus 6 has the best camera that OnePlus has ever made. It has well balanced, likable colors, good control over dynamic range with no burned highlights, gets plenty of detail and is overall a solid performer.

We will have more detailed camera comparisons of the OnePlus 6 camera against the big guns – the iPhone X, Galaxy S9+ and Pixel 2 XL – coming soon, but we are definitely happy with what we see in these camera samples below.

At night, the 6 also captures good-looking photos. Surprisingly, it handled neon signs on par with the Pixel 2 XL in our few tests and while it does not quite have the Pixel's dynamic range reach, it is a good performer at night. There is a bit more noise than on Samsung phones, but it looks organic and you still get a very sharp image.
While theverge thinks camera is improved over OP5T but not yet as good as SG9+ or the likes.
Quote:
It still can’t compete with Samsung, Google, Apple, or even Huawei when it comes to cameras

Last edited by joslicx : 21st May 2018 at 19:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks