Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2018, 11:20   #27376
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I got the Honor 10 over OP6 yesterday, got it from a store and had to pay 1K extra. Someone was prepared to get my iPhone 7, so had no option to buy online.

I am beginning to like this phone. The camera is way better than what I have seen in most phones and the screen is pretty good as well. My concern of good network quality (over the iPhone) is better as well. I was facing difficulties in call clarity and I needed a dual sim, plus the battery of iPhone wasn't lasting if I browsed etc..

OP6 was there as well but I felt it to better after reading reviews and went with it. Will update if I have anything significant to share.
Old 31st May 2018, 13:38   #27377
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
She has one of those simple Nokias that cost around 1k, but has put in a request to the purchasing department (which is me!) for something not very expensive that she can listen to music on. Budget 5k.
Why does she need a phone for listening to music? Maybe you can buy the good old iPod Shuffle or some other music player.

If it absolutely has to be a phone, then I suggest you look at this (you can buy the Complete Mobile Protection plan at Rs.99 along with this phone for extra peace of mind):

https://www.flipkart.com/mobiistar-c...YZYAKHT.SEARCH

This is a Vietnamese brand and Flipkart have recently collaborated with them for manufacturing phones:

http://www.business-standard.com/art...1501108_1.html

EDIT: The Jio phone idea by @drsingh on the previous page is worth considering as well, especially looking at the music specific needs.

Last edited by Oxy : 31st May 2018 at 13:53.
Old 31st May 2018, 23:57   #27378
Distinguished - BHPian

Why a phone? because she wants to carry one anyway, a cheap one, and her little very-unsmart Nokia is falling apart. And thanks for interesting new candidate
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Reason I suggested Apple was for the sound or music reproduction.
You are probably right. Camera too, from what I see of other people's results! But, apart from her not wanting to take on another, different OS, one of the criteria is dosen't look that great to a thief. I think Apple looks great to a lot of people, honest and not!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Knowing well that 5k is budget limit and Redmi 5A is priced at 6k, I would still recommend Redmi over P100. Some quick comparison reveals that Redmi 5A is slimmer, lighter, has more RAM, better camera, bigger battery, faster and possibly better processor. ...
I think mi phones took rather smart too. In fact I was
very fond of my mi4i, which was a victim of the Chennai flood.

Funny, I'd sort-of forgotten that other things play music too! Ourside of the realms of audiophile portable players, which I know of but don't consider at all worthwhile.
Old 1st June 2018, 00:24   #27379
BHPian

One Plus 3T received the latest Oxygen and security patch.

Approximate size of download file is 550 MB
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1527792802149.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1527792815353.jpg  

Old 1st June 2018, 00:59   #27380
BHPian

Quote:
Why a phone? because she wants to carry one anyway, a cheap one, and her little very-unsmart Nokia is falling apart.
I would recommend Redmi 5, cost ₹8K. Brilliant phone, and presence of finger print sensor makes life a bit easy. It's compact in size, has a good camera, very good . It's dual SIM so get a Jio SIM and stream thousands of songs on apps like Jio Music.
Don't settle for anything that won't provide a good smartphone experience.
Old 1st June 2018, 01:09   #27381
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion, but the idea is for something simple that she wouldn't mind (and the cost wouldn't hurt) somebody snatching at 5.00am. In fact it surprised me when she decided to go for Android rather than another small Nokia.
Old 1st June 2018, 01:20   #27382
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but the idea is for something simple that she wouldn't mind (and the cost wouldn't hurt) somebody snatching at 5.00am. In fact it surprised me when she decided to go for Android rather than another small Nokia.
Well if the sole purpose is music listening just get a cheap MP3 player for a couple of hundred bucks,they are cheap nowadays like Rs100 for a small one that can fit in your palm and get a good earphones, an SD card and you are set.
And if it is about the calling functionality or she just wants a phone, look at olx for Samsung on5 or on7 it is retailing around 7k so you can easily get one in warranty for 3-4k. It is a latest phone too with everything acceptable.
Old 1st June 2018, 02:51   #27383
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone with Samsung S8 got a permanent solution to the "water detected in charging point" issue? I'm able to charge the phone using my wireless charger; however I'm not able to get the error to go off.

P.s. Tried several of the online "solutions"; didn't work. Would like to know if any bhpian has gone through this path with success.
Old 1st June 2018, 07:54   #27384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Has anyone with Samsung S8 got a permanent solution to the "water detected in charging point" issue? I'm able to charge the phone using my wireless charger; however I'm not able to get the error to go off.

P.s. Tried several of the online "solutions"; didn't work. Would like to know if any bhpian has gone through this path with success.
Had happened to my dad's S8 and thank God he had got a wireless charger so that he could charge, well online there us just BS to clean with rubbing alcohol and stuff but the only solution to this is hard reset aka factory reset via recovery mode. It worked for my dad's and after that I have never installed any software update, I think it was most probably a software glitch of sensor. And if this solution doesn't work try updating to the latest version that is the only last resort I can think of. Never anything like this happened with my S7.
Old 1st June 2018, 14:54   #27385
BHPian

After updating the phone yesterday (post # 27379), Google Photos wants to upload all the pics again.

Anyone faced this?

I had cleared the cache after updating to the latest version.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1527845082443.jpg  

Old 1st June 2018, 19:16   #27386
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I just point and click. No bokeh vokeh or bothie vothie for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Overall, priced at 26K with this config, I think it's an absolute steal.
Time to update boys
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-screenshot_20180601190539.png
Old 1st June 2018, 19:25   #27387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Time to update boys
Did it today noon as soon as the news hit the interwebs. Could not get time to test the camera after update though.
Old 1st June 2018, 19:40   #27388
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Did it today noon as soon as the news hit the interwebs. Could not get time to test the camera after update though.
I haven't bothered downloading the google camera app after getting the phone back from Nokia. Would be great if the much awaited updated can bridge the gap to the other flagships.
Old 1st June 2018, 20:32   #27389
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
I haven't bothered downloading the google camera app after getting the phone back from Nokia. Would be great if the much awaited updated can bridge the gap to the other flagships.
Download and installation seems to be taking a long time. The "camera pro" seems to be Nokia camera app with manual controls. So when taking photos of moving objects, I have to increase shutter speed right?
Old 2nd June 2018, 09:48   #27390
Team-BHP Support

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/phone...esign-mate-rs/

This phone looks amazing. Any of you getting this, being a petrol head, someone should get it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks