Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2018, 17:40   #27466
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Is there any way to buy Redmi Note 5 Pro via their flash sales?
Why not through Croma? It seems to be in stock and one can pick up from store for that joy of touching and feeling the device before purchase! The phone on Croma is probably a few hundreds expensive.
Old 9th July 2018, 17:43   #27467
BHPian

Quote:

Its virtually impossible to get hold of it online because everything will be over within 45 seconds. There are lots of Chrome/Firefox extensions available, but I'm not sure about them :-(

When it comes to flash sales, Amazon is way better than Flipkart.
MI store in your city should be the best place to buy this phone. The phone was released quite sometime back, however, the pain associated with the online sale still continues as far as Note 5 Pro is concerned (I recall this was the case with MI A1 as well).

The stores normally have stock, and the price too is at par with what you pay online - I have seen this, so can confirm it.

There are 2 things you should note -

1. If buying from store, not all colors may be available.

2. MI store toll free number does NOT inform you if a particular model is in stock or not at a MI store. You are asked to visit in person.

These stores also offer exchange on old mobiles at prices on-par with Amazon / Flipkart.

Other outlets like Sangeetha, Poorvika quote around INR 1000/- extra. You have an option to bargain in these multi-brand stores.

All this is from my personal experience. YMMV.

Thank you.
Old 9th July 2018, 18:06   #27468
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
MI store in your city should be the best place to buy this phone. The phone was released quite sometime back, however, the pain associated with the online sale still continues as far as Note 5 Pro is concerned (I recall this was the case with MI A1 as well).
Thanks for the info. Will try the offline route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Why not through Croma? It seems to be in stock and one can pick up from store for that joy of touching and feeling the device before purchase! The phone on Croma is probably a few hundreds expensive.
Croma is not there in Cochin.

Last edited by ampere : 9th July 2018 at 21:03. Reason: Compacted quoted post
Old 9th July 2018, 22:18   #27469
BHPian

Quote:

Its virtually impossible to get hold of it online because everything will be over within 45 seconds. There are lots of Chrome/Firefox extensions available.
It was available for quite a few hours during last week's sale. I checked around 3:30 PM.
The chrome extension works alright. I tested it for the sake of it in April.
Maybe you already know this, that Zenfone Max Pro M1 has a great, much better screen, better battery, better sound and almost stock Android with frequent updates. The camera app sucks though the sensors are alright. They messed up the software.
This can be easily overcome with two hours on XDA. You can save a few grands this way. But, if not, all the very best for the 'flash' sale. I am sure, you'll be able to get one.
Old 10th July 2018, 01:21   #27470
Senior - BHPian

Hello,
So after my Moto g6 suddenly stopped working, I've moved to a Nokia 6.1 (2018 Nokia 6.) Bestbuy made the exchange process very smooth.
I'm loving it. I wonder why I didn't get it in the first place.

I just need some quick tips on a few things:
1. Lokcing the phone: I was used to tapping the fingerprint sensor to lock my Moto. I haven't found an option like that in the Nokia 6. Can anyone help me? I find it annoying to keep changing my grip to reach the power button.
2. Moving apps to SD card: The storage format for the SD card is only portable storage and not adoptable storage. Is there any way to change this?

Also, I don't want to root my phone or install any mods.

TIA
Old 11th July 2018, 14:47   #27471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any way to buy Redmi Note 5 Pro...
This could be of help to you.

Quote:
The Redmi Note 5 Pro flash sale will be held twice today, once as part of the regular bi-weekly sale and then again under the ongoing 4th Mi Anniversary Sale. The first Redmi Note 5 Pro sale will be at 12pm, where the smartphone will be up for grabs at the standard price. The other sale will see the smartphone go for just Rs. 4, under the special 4th anniversary flash sales that Xiaomi is hosting on its products; this sale will be held at 4pm. You can head to Mi.com and Flipkart to buy the smartphone. However, if you are trying your luck at the Rs. 4 Redmi Note 5 Pro flash sale, you should know that the sale yesterday saw the Redmi Y1 and Mi TV models go out of stock within a moment.
Source
Old 13th July 2018, 14:26   #27472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Thanks for the update. How long did you use Google Maps?

The reason I'm asking is, in my case Google Maps and Android Auto freezes after 1 hr of driving.

I've to switch of the headunit completely, wait for 10-15 minutes and then connect my Honor 10 back to the headunit.

There are lot of discussions going on in Android Auto community about Huwaei and Honor phones compatibility issues.
Quoting my post -

Honor 10 users - Please check and confirm if you are able to use Android Auto continuously with maps switched on for more than 1 hour.
Old 13th July 2018, 18:08   #27473
BHPian

Quote:

Its virtually impossible to get hold of it online because everything will be over within 45 seconds. There are lots of Chrome/Firefox extensions available, but I'm not sure about them :-(

When it comes to flash sales, Amazon is way better than Flipkart.
I used this chrome extension called Flipshope. It was pretty straightforward and easy to use even for a computer novice. I had to login to Flipkart at 11:55 for a 12:00 PM sale. Choose the variant of the phone which you want on the Flipshope extension and select auto checkout with PhonePe. The phone became available at 11:58 itself and within a couple of seconds all the 4 steps were automatically passed and I was taken to the PhonePe page for payment.
Old 14th July 2018, 07:13   #27474
Team-BHP Support

After using two iPhones for a few months I was getting a bit too bored with the iPhone experience; luckily the telco came with a world cup offer of S$200 discount. Plus we had a recontract offer of S$150, and an online discount of S$30. That made it an overall discount of SGD 380. So effectively got a S$398 Pixel 2 XL for S$18. It took a day to get warmed up to the so called pure Android experience, but after that the its really breeze to use. Quite a brilliant VFM device I must say.

Compared to the iPhone X: The face id recognition of the X is phenomenal and its beautiful design, but otherwise the Pixel works better for me. The industrial design of the latter works well for me. And the photos from the Pixel looks much better than the X.

Compared to wife's Note 8: For all the negative comments on Samsung's Android skin, I really like their new iterations, and the Note 8 is one of the best Android phone I used. All those nifty features really add up to the experience. The camera is wonderful as well, but I prefer Pixel's realistic photos compared to the ones from the Note.

Negatives of the Pixel: No dual SIM, and also I still prefer a dedicated Photos app compared to the Google photos.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_2499.jpg
Old 15th July 2018, 14:07   #27475
Oxy
BHPian

A couple of interesting deals coming up tomorrow. The Note 8 to be available at an effective price of 42k at Amazon, while the Pixel 2 (128 GB) will be sold for 43k at Flipkart. Bit older phones these but still the best camera phones going around I believe.

Last edited by Oxy : 15th July 2018 at 14:08.
Old 18th July 2018, 09:50   #27476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I still prefer a dedicated Photos app compared to the Google photos.
Check out QuickPic App from Cheetah mobile. A no nonsense Photo app with all necessary features handy.

Cheers,

Pawan
Old 18th July 2018, 21:36   #27477
mxx
BHPian

Did anyone using the Nokia 8 get android one?

If I remember correctly, Nokia announced that their 2017 lineup will move to android one soon.
Old 18th July 2018, 22:34   #27478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Check out QuickPic App from Cheetah mobile. A no nonsense Photo app with all necessary features handy.

Cheers,

Pawan
Used be good, but too many ads now.
Try simple gallery. No ads. If you want to support it, you can donate, but no annoying bits. Interface is the same as quickpic.
Old 19th July 2018, 00:48   #27479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Did anyone using the Nokia 8 get android one?

If I remember correctly, Nokia announced that their 2017 lineup will move to android one soon.
Nope. No such thing. Although I do get EVWRY month security updates around the same time as my Nexus 5X. The security patch is currently updated to July 2018!
Old 19th July 2018, 14:48   #27480
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, you helped me with finding the perfect phone the last time (I l-o-v-e my S6 Edge)! Please share some advice again.

My S6 Edge is almost 3 years old so I think it's time to change. Requirements:

- Looks
- Power
- Not too big (I don't like phablets). Either the same overall size as my S6 Edge or a little bigger (not too big).

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited by GTO : 19th July 2018 at 14:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks