Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2018, 12:10   #27361
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I thought this is a standard feature in later versions of Android. I too use oneplus x and this is one of my favourite feature. I don't have to fumble around to find power button while driving car.
Hi Shipnil, There's an option to wake up the screen by lifting the phone towards you. This option can be enabled in Gesture settings.

Also, the front camera is just satisfactory. The pictures are too artificial. Not sure if the settings are the culprit.

Rear camera is great though
Old 29th May 2018, 12:29   #27362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Thank you so much. I did a full data reset last evening after backing up everything. The phone then re-downloaded all the 160 odd apps.
How did you take a back-up of all your data. Any app that does it without root?I lost all data when I relied on the in-built backup option in settings.
Old 29th May 2018, 12:32   #27363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Folks, anyone in general tried out Oppo Realme 1 (any config)? Please share your feedback.
I was able to get the Realme 1 on the flash sale on Friday. (6 GB / 128 GB Version) Phone was delivered on Saturday afternoon (at Ahmedabad)

I have been using the good old OnePlus 1 ( 3 GB / 64 GB version) since 2015 - and it is working just fine. This was just an impulse buy. While playing with the phone, I swapped my Micro SIM from OPO, Realme has a Nano SIM. In the hurry of putting in the SIM, I ended up putting the SIM tray on my OPO alongwith the sleeve that I removed to make the SIM from Micro to Nano. The SIM sleeve is now stuck in the OPO and I cant get it out. So for now using the Realme.

First impressions (coming from a long use of OPO, and hence the comparisons are with OPO)
Speed - Very fast. Multitasking is a breeze. For example, I was transferring a few movies from the OPO to Realme using Xender and also parallelly transferring a few other files on BT - just to check on its multi tasking abilities. Worked like a breeze.

The back with its geometrical design is good to look at, but given that its plastic, I have a feeling that without a cover, with use its bound to pick up scratches. Using the transparent flex case that came with the phone.

No Bloatware - havent seen any useless apps being shoved in. There were bunch of language packs installed for regional Indian languages, but I could delete all of them

Camera - Get a feeling that it has a better camera than OPO, quality, crispness is better

Battery - Got the phone at 60% battery, charged it up to 100% on Saturday evening. All the data transfer, installs etc done in about 5 hrs and while my 3 yr old OPO was at 30%, Realme was sitting pretty at ~ 60 %

Sound output is good - voice and music plays well. Havent used a headphone yet.

I use the Nova Launcher, so basically did a backup on my OPO, Xendered the backup on Realme and restored it. All apps were as it is installed from Google Play on the OPO, so it was a breeze to reinstate all of them on the Realme using the same login. Contacts, apps, Data (~ 15 movies, 300+ songs) settings, passwords - all transfered seamlessly in about 5 hrs

Coming the the things that I am yet to get to terms with.

Notification light: Missing on the Realme

Face Unlock: Works well in the daytime. At night, there is a function to compensate light in dim surroundings ( you basically get a white screen so that your face can be recognized better). In the dark, face unlock is a hit or miss. Also found another thing - I wear spectacles, so the face was registered using spectacles. Face unlock in day time works perfectly even without the glasses, but in the dark I have noticed that the face unlock works better if I have my glasses on than without them.

Things in Settings:
Havent been able to figure out how to change the fonts. System fonts are not to my liking
OPO gives you a time graph on your Data / Wifi Consumption and Battery usage on the settings itself. Dont find that on the Realme
On the OPO I was able to assign longpress funcitons to the Menu and Return keys. Not here - or atleast havent been able to find it yet.

Happy to answer any specific questions
Old 29th May 2018, 13:03   #27364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
How did you take a back-up of all your data. Any app that does it without root?I lost all data when I relied on the in-built backup option in settings.
I just copied all the images and important files from the phone into the Harddisk.

Synced all the contacts to google account. Backed up whatsapp messages on google drive.

Every other app I used would store the data on cloud. So, did not bother backing anything else up apart from these. (Wync / Amazon Music / Mails etc).

Once I restarted the phone post reset, you get an option to re-load all the apps, did that and play store restored all the apps by re-downloading them in a couple of hours.
Old 29th May 2018, 21:58   #27365
Senior - BHPian

Received the Honor 10 for my son yesterday. First impressions are excellent especially considering the 24k price tag I got it at.

In hand feel is more premium than OnePlus 6
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1527610664357.jpg

Size compared with Note 8 and OP6
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1527610738049.jpg

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1527610768937.jpg

In the box
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1527610815629.jpg

Display compared with OnePlus 6 which is slightly ahead here
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1527610848429.jpg

Shot with Note 8
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1527610904630.jpg

Shot with OnePlus 6
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1527610934783.jpg

Shot with Honor 10
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1527610968912.jpg

Shot with Note 8
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1527611024357.jpg

Shot with Honor 10 with AI on
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1527611059702.jpg

Honor 10 shot some great outdoor shots with the AI. Still too early to give a final verdict but the initial impressions safely conclude that the Honor 10 just offers much more bang for the buck than it's direct contemporary.

Cheers...
Old 30th May 2018, 20:00   #27366

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
How is 3/32 holding up for your father?
This used to be good enough configuration earlier, but now a days with 4/64 variants available profusely default seems to have moved to it.

I was looking for this or Oppo Realme 1 for my sister, the Oppo model is only available in 3/32 and 6/128, hence the question for you.
His usage includes - heavy calls (3-4 hrs), WhatsApp, email and Youtube/Hotstar/other videos. As he is not a power user, it is enough for his use.

The main criteria was good display, good battery (a day's worth) and stock or close to stock android.

I would say it meets the first quite well and the second okay-ish. The battery is a little disappointing being a 5k mAh. It does not last the whole day. Moreover, there is no fast charging so getting to anywhere near 100% takes time. I really doubt if he has ever seen 100% on this device.

Other than that its stock android, quite snappy with good build quality.
Old 30th May 2018, 22:48   #27367
Distinguished - BHPian

My wife goes walking during early hours of the day. Whilst she feels quite safe (or she wouldn't go!) on her chosen route, including the local beach, she does not like to take her phone or anything valuable with her.

She has one of those simple Nokias that cost around 1k, but has put in a request to the purchasing department (which is me!) for something not very expensive that she can listen to music on. Budget 5k.

Having failed to get her interested in the classic Nokia 3310, we looked for an Android phone in budget. They may be good value, but I am suspicious of makes such as Micromax, and even more so of Chinese stuff that I've never even heard of. Chanced upon the Panasonic P100 and was soon wondering what's not to like about so much phone for just under 5k. Even dual-sim and 4G. microsd expansion to Gb128.

Frankly, apart perhaps from being reviewed as "ugly," and reputed to have limited battery life, it looks like a phone I could live with... and she only wants it for a couple of hours a day. A secondary second phone.

Just checking in: is there any reason not to just buy this phone? Especially considering very limited demands.
Old 30th May 2018, 22:52   #27368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Just checking in: is there any reason not to just buy this phone? Especially considering very limited demands.
If you are fine with olx, you can get an iPhone 5 or 4S for 3-4k. My friend tried swapping his iPhone 5 last week at an apple store and he was offered 35$..

Last edited by diyguy : 30th May 2018 at 22:54.
Old 30th May 2018, 23:14   #27369
BHPian

Moto C? Redmi 5A? Just a grand more.
Old 30th May 2018, 23:19   #27370
BHPian

Quote:
My wife goes walking during early hours of the day. Whilst she feels quite safe (or she wouldn't go!) on her chosen route, including the local beach, she does not like to take her phone or anything valuable with her.

Having failed to get her interested in the classic Nokia 3310, we looked for an Android phone in budget. They may be good value, but I am suspicious of makes such as Micromax.
Well I can say that after using a micromax canvas nitro 2 for 3 rigorous years, I don't ever feel like it's going to give up on me, the build quality is really good because I am using it without a cover for over an year. It is used by me now too and I don't feel a need to change maybe I am not too technical guy but yeah it serves the purpose of reading and gives me a battery backup of around 1.5 days with the stock battery . The storage of the device was filling up due to screenshots so just rooted it and removed the bloatware and got around 1 gb of more free space. The key to keep your device crisp is never install any software updates as it tends to make your phone laggy and eats up space.And as diyguy said you can easily go with a 4s or 5 within your budget.
Old 30th May 2018, 23:34   #27371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom

She has one of those simple Nokias that cost around 1k, but has put in a request to the purchasing department (which is me!) for something not very expensive that she can listen to music on. Budget 5k.

Having failed to get her interested in the classic Nokia 3310, we looked for an Android phone in budget. They may be good value, but I am suspicious of makes such as Micromax, and even more so of Chinese stuff that I've never even heard of. Chanced upon the Panasonic P100 and was soon wondering what's not to like about so much phone for just under 5k. Even dual-sim and 4G. microsd expansion to Gb128.

Frankly, apart perhaps from being reviewed as "ugly," and reputed to have limited battery life, it looks like a phone I could live with... and she only wants it for a couple of hours a day. A secondary second phone.

Jio phone. 1500 bucks. Refundable after 3 years. Rs.153/28 days for 1 gb/day data. Free Jio music/Saavn music app subscription for all your streaming needs. Excellent battery life. Memory card expansion also present.

This is a logical suggestion. Otherwise I suggest you buy whatever handset your wife chooses from the umpteen choices available in the 5-7k segment.

My choice for a budget large screen android would be the older Asus Zenphone max model available for Rs. 6500 on Paytm. 5000 mah battery with qualcomm chipset.

Avoid mediatek chipsets as they suffer from heating and battery issues.
Old 31st May 2018, 03:10   #27372
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions! Apple, no... we've become an Android and Linux household. We get confused by new versions of Android somewhat, but we're sticking with what we know.

The vote of confidence in Micromax is interesting.

Actually, 5k was supposed to be the upper limit of the budget! So perhaps best we don't start browsing upwards from there. And the budget is fixed by the question of how many tears would be shed if it did get snatched from her.
Old 31st May 2018, 07:04   #27373
BHPian

Quote:
Apple, no... we've become an Android and Linux household.
Reason I suggested Apple was for the sound or music reproduction. I think Apple is still ahead in this department due to their ipod days. I am not an audiophile but felt this when I switched from Apple to Android last year.
Old 31st May 2018, 10:46   #27374
BANNED

Finally got the Oreo upgrade for my Samsung S8. About 250MB, went uber smooth. No real difference. Only time will tell.

Now waiting for Oreo on my A8+

Last edited by sgiitk : 31st May 2018 at 11:00.
Old 31st May 2018, 11:06   #27375
BHPian

Quote:
Chanced upon the Panasonic P100 and was soon wondering what's not to like about so much phone for just under 5k.
Quote:
Actually, 5k was supposed to be the upper limit of the budget!

Knowing well that 5k is budget limit and Redmi 5A is priced at 6k, I would still recommend Redmi over P100. Some quick comparison reveals that Redmi 5A is slimmer, lighter, has more RAM, better camera, bigger battery, faster and possibly better processor. Though Redmi misses out on fingerprint sensor. I had bought Redmi 5A for mom about 3 months ago and got the same for dad last week. While there are better phones out there, I couldn't find anything lighter and more compact.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks