Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2017, 20:09   #26611
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I dropped my S7 edge on the road while getting out of my car and the screen developed a thin crack.
Now looking to put a good screen guard and back cover. Any pointers?
I have the S7 edge and am using a Spigen ultra hybrid back case , available on Amazon for about 1200. It has slightly raised edges and so protects the screen from falls too.
My phone is handled by my 8 anď 5 year olds too and has had numerous falls on to the floor ( from about 3' height). The case does its job.
Old 30th October 2017, 21:07   #26612
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any suggestions for a messaging (SMS) app which allows on to switch between threaded (conversation) view and flat (sorted on date) view?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 30th October 2017, 21:11   #26613
Distinguished - BHPian

Lucky that you got it replaced FOC. I Have put the Spigen liquid air cover on my Note8 along with the spigen neoflex screenguard. This is my first ever phone with a cover and guard. I hate them but the curved display has made sure that i put it. It covers the edges very well. Although the wow factor of the infinity display is lost, it protects the edge display of the phone very well.
Old 30th October 2017, 23:07   #26614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dropped my S7 edge on the road while getting out of my car and the screen developed a thin crack. The display was intact and one couldn't feel the crack but it was there. My phone is in it's last month of warranty, infact its valid only till November 2nd. I remembered Samsung's offer of changing the display in the first year for only Rs. 990. Hence took the phone to the service centre and it was a very pleasant experience. They have dedicated counters for the higher end phones. Showed them the bill and the screen was changed without any questions in half an hour.
Good job.

Other brands are yet to learn from them. Lenovo is on another trip. My brother bought the Lenovo Z2+ (4GB RAM) for 9ish thousand in a recent sale. He even put the OEM supplied (useless) case right out of the box. unfortunately he had a minor accident on his scooter the same week, and the screen cracked badly (part of the glass broke and came out at the top). Here's the kicker - the OEM screen replacement is 9500 bucks.

I really fail to understand what folks like Lenovo are thinking. This kind of spares pricing, even the likes of Ford didn't do in their erstwhile Ikon days - I don't understand who signs off on such pricing decisions, whether they even consider the reasonableness of their prices, and the customer angst / negative word of mouth that gets generated as a result.

In contrast, for an Apple iPhone costing 53k or so (MRP), the screen is around 13-15k if I remember right.
Old 31st October 2017, 06:41   #26615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Good job.
I really fail to understand what folks like Lenovo are thinking.
In contrast, for an Apple iPhone costing 53k or so (MRP), the screen is around 13-15k if I remember right.
Even the cost of a replacement of screen at Samsung is 14k. But I spent only 1k as Samsung offers it as a one time gesture during the first year of ownership. From now onwards it would become pointless to spend 14k on a new screen when the whole market value of the phone would be only a few thousand more.
Old 31st October 2017, 10:03   #26616
BHPian

Quote:
I don't understand who signs off on such pricing decisions, whether they even consider the reasonableness of their prices, and the customer angst / negative word of mouth that gets generated as a result.
Quote:
From now onwards it would become pointless to spend 14k on a new screen when the whole market value of the phone would be only a few thousand more.
Maybe it is to nudge customers to replace the entire set instead of just the screen. Just as the new line of apple macbooks don't have the option to upgrade HDD and ram.

I still have a nexus 7 2013 with a cracked screen which is by the way completely functional otherwise. The service center reps recommended buying a new device instead of replacing the screen. What a waste
Old 31st October 2017, 12:45   #26617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Guys, any suggestions for a messaging (SMS) app which allows on to switch between threaded (conversation) view and flat (sorted on date) view?
Not sure how that will change anything in the case of SMS, where identification of which-message-is-in-reply-to-which-message is not possible.

If you need a "better" SMS client, I can wholeheartedly recommend SMS Organizer from - hold your breath - Microsoft: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.smsorganizer

It is very India-specific and understands the sender ID system that we use here. It also has a bit of AI in it that learns what is a promotional message and what is transactional. And its OTP handling is quite fantastic.
Old 31st October 2017, 14:18   #26618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
If you need a "better" SMS client, I can wholeheartedly recommend SMS Organizer from - hold your breath - Microsoft: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.smsorganizer
I don't think this is a true SMS client as I think it uses the Internet to send out messages. Further, it has a limited number of SMSs if one chooses not to get promotional SMSs from SMSORG.

I have been wondering why the option to create a group of contacts and send SMSs to the group, by selecting the group name, is not found on the Android SMS client or even the client mentioned above. Is there an application that does this, without using the internet to send out SMSs? I know, there are other apps such as WhatsApp that does this an much more, but then
Old 31st October 2017, 15:37   #26619
BHPian

Quote:
Guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I have been wondering why the option to create a group of contacts and send SMSs to the group, by selecting the group name, is not found on the Android SMS client or even the client mentioned above.
I just checked, chomp sms allows to send sms to already created groups in contact list.

@Sutripta It has the conversation threads sorted by the latest message date. Not exactly what you require but close. Hope that helps.

Last edited by lordvader : 31st October 2017 at 15:42.
Old 31st October 2017, 20:10   #26620
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. But does not solve my needs. Let me explain why I have this peculiar need.
In this day of multiple sim cards, and personal assistants, a conversation is best seen as a 'group coversation'. A topic will be bunched in a period of time. The normal threading rules fall woefully short.

Regards
Sutripta

PS - Oldfashioned Luddite that I am, I don't use Whatsapp. (or Facebook for that matter!)
Old 31st October 2017, 20:23   #26621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I don't think this is a true SMS client as I think it uses the Internet to send out messages. Further, it has a limited number of SMSs if one chooses not to get promotional SMSs from SMSORG.
It is a "true" SMS client; in that it uses the mobile network to send messages. It even supports dual-SIM phones (you can select which SIM to send, default to a single SIM all the time etc.). It also has support for an Internet-based SMS service, using which and the associated permissions are completely optional, therefore the question of promotional SMSes don't arise.

Quote:
In this day of multiple sim cards, and personal assistants, a conversation is best seen as a 'group coversation'. A topic will be bunched in a period of time. The normal threading rules fall woefully short.
I have been using the aforementioned SMS software for a couple of months now and am fully sold. SMS does not have the grouping and threading features that something like email has, hence what you want wouldn't really work without a heuristics-based or machine learning-based system; which is what Microsoft has implemented here.
Old 1st November 2017, 08:42   #26622
BHPian

Quote:

I have been using the aforementioned SMS software for a couple of months now and am fully sold. SMS does not have the grouping and threading features that something like email has, hence what you want wouldn't really work without a heuristics-based or machine learning-based system; which is what Microsoft has implemented here.
Thanks for sharing this. I just installed it and I am loving it. A pleasant surprise.
Old 1st November 2017, 08:58   #26623
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this share. Its a welcome break from the usual Messages app. Love the way the SMS are categorized.

I am sold for this one feature, wherein a OTP is sent and we get a Copy option right in the notification. Hats off to Microsoft!!
Old 1st November 2017, 09:09   #26624
BHPian

Quote:
the screen cracked badly (part of the glass broke and came out at the top). Here's the kicker - the OEM screen replacement is 9500 bucks.
I have the same phone and had the same problem. Fortunately in India, the unorganised sector (aka small mobile repair shops) are great in resolving these issues. I got my screen replaced for INR 2200 and the phone works great.

Not that this will solve the problem with Lenovo, but at least you can get the phone working. The phone itself is very good especially with custom roms.
Old 1st November 2017, 11:25   #26625
BHPian

Quote:
It is a "true" SMS client; in that it uses the mobile network to send messages. It even supports dual-SIM phones (you can select which SIM to send, default to a single SIM all the time etc.). It also has support for an Internet-based SMS service, using which and the associated permissions are completely optional, therefore the question of promotional SMSes don't arise.
I do think it needs an internet connection to send out SMS since it did not send out a test message when I blocked the app on my firewall. When I enabled it on the firewall, the message got sent out.

You may want to try it by shutting off your internet connectivity - both WiFi and mobile data and see if it is able to send out messages.

Last edited by swissknife : 1st November 2017 at 11:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks