Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2017, 00:34   #26596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
I am not trying to argue with you and In-fact I was happy that you were refunded. I can see the below mentioned in Flipkart though I am not sure when it was added.

Operating Frequency
GSM - 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz; WCDMA - 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz; 4G LTE (TDD) - B40, LTE (FDD) - B3 / B5
Just a point that it's crazy to expect customers to look at all these before buying.

They have surely added this info recently, probably after my case. Because I had a screenshot of their spec list which I used as proof.

Also, what's the difference between TDD & FDD ? Because vodafone uses band 1 & 41, and while hunting phones I came across phones supporting band 1 but not 41. Will Vodafone 4g still work on it?
Old 26th October 2017, 01:36   #26597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post

With the last update recieved on phone, the cameras are performing way better than they originally did. Not at S8/+ or Note8 levels, but, at 75% capacity.

I'd suggest wait for One Plus 5T.
Thanks for this Dinesh. The S7 edge has a brilliant camera (the same hardware as the S8) and so I suppose it'll be a downgrade to get the G6. The V30 seems to be stuck with a ton of problems and I'm tired of Samsung phones that eventually start to fall apart in terms of performance and battery life.

I've seen a drop of 30% in battery performance and a number of slowdowns in my 6 month old S7 edge, which is my second S7 (sold the first one as it had serious battery problems and got the edge because of the larger cell).

My requirements are amazing camera, ip rating and expandable storage. Preferably with a 3.5mm headphone jack to plug my excellent Seinheisser ear buds. Bluetooth is not yet up to speed, in my opinion.
Old 26th October 2017, 08:50   #26598
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post

Also, what's the difference between TDD & FDD ? Because vodafone uses band 1 & 41, and while hunting phones I came across phones supporting band 1 but not 41. Will Vodafone 4g still work on it?
I am not an expert in telecom, but TDD is time division duplex and FDD is frequency division duplex.

From a common man's perspective, TDD - Only Jio uses this in India and this uses 4G LTE for both calls and data which we also call as VoLTE - Voice over LTE and native video calling with ViLTE - Video over LTE. This is the reason for the excellent call quality with VoLTE. Calls connect almost instantly and in most cases there are no call drops. VoLTE to VoLTE voice calls are of a different level.

FDD networks - Use 4G LTE only for data and 3G/2G for calls. Call quality is not good, takes beep beep beep to establish call connections. There are call drops now and then.
Advantages is if there isn't any 4G coverage you can still manage with 3G/2G for emergency data and voice.

Where did you see Vodafone uses B41 ? It seems like a TDD band which Vodafone has not officially launched yet. I have not faced any issues with Redmi 4 on Vodafone and Jio from the frequency band support perspective and you should be good.

Probably Vodafone plans to launch VoLTE in Band 41 but that should take some time.

https://www.gsmarena.com/network-ban...sCountry=India

Last edited by para_7k : 26th October 2017 at 08:55.
Old 27th October 2017, 12:02   #26599
BHPian

Anybody updated their Nexus to Android 8.1 dev preview? I enrolled my device for the beta program, but the system update still shows 8.0 as the latest version. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
Old 27th October 2017, 12:42   #26600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Anybody updated their Nexus to Android 8.1 dev preview? I enrolled my device for the beta program, but the system update still shows 8.0 as the latest version. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
Do you have one of these devices?

Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Pixel C, Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL?

As far as I know, 8.1 supports these are the devices that are currently supported.

Last edited by swissknife : 27th October 2017 at 12:48. Reason: corrected a typo
Old 27th October 2017, 12:52   #26601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
Do you have one of these devices?

Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Pixel C, Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL?

As far as I know, 8.1 supports these are the devices that are currently supported.
Oh, sorry for not mentioning that. Mine is a Nexus 5X, and the enroll page of the beta program shows my device. Just that the actual phone does not seem to play along.
Old 27th October 2017, 13:09   #26602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Oh, sorry for not mentioning that. Mine is a Nexus 5X, and the enroll page of the beta program shows my device. Just that the actual phone does not seem to play along.
OK. Your phone should enroll to the beta program.

Typically, you should see an update being pushed to your phone. I have seen delays of 24 hours as well.

It may help if you could manually check for system updates, periodically.

A word of caution: Ensure that your phone is backed up as often as possible (once a day, probably in the night) when you are on beta versions, if you have data that you don't want to lose.
Old 28th October 2017, 20:41   #26603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Yes, the phones should work in places where Vodafone provides LTE service in Band 1.

There are basic differences (in the radio) between FDD and TDD. So mobiles supporting only FDD will not be able to access TDD network and vice-versa.

Quote:
From a common man's perspective, TDD - Only Jio uses this in India and this uses 4G LTE for both calls and data which we also call as VoLTE

FDD networks - Use 4G LTE only for data and 3G/2G for calls.
Jio is an LTE-only network, so they offer VoLTE (no other way to support voice calls). Other operators have existing 2G/3G infrastructure, so they use those for voice calls, keeping LTE networks exclusively for data services. It is purely operator's decision, nothing to do with FDD or TDD.
Old 28th October 2017, 21:08   #26604
Senior - BHPian

Few days back, I was transferring pics from my camera folder to a different folder. I usually go by the copy and paste method and later delete the original files.

This time, I ended up doing a cut and paste job. Only 410 out of 1227 files were transferred in. It was as if the remaining files vanished into thin air

As my phone is rooted, I tried Undeleter app. I've this habit of clicking multiples pics instead of just one (guess, it helped) and could recover most of the missing pictures.

Life Pro Tips :

- Always copy and paste the files. Have read many instances of missing files during cut and paste job (still I wonder how I goofed up that day)

- Maintain at least one back up. After disconnecting our shared UL BB, I stopped backing up the files to cloud storage. Learnt the lesson the hard way

Google Photos offer free unlimited high quality (not original quality though) photos and videos storage.
Old 28th October 2017, 22:23   #26605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
- Maintain at least one back up.
I sync the files on the phone to the PC every couple of days. It is automatic: as long as I am at home (wifi) and the PC is on, it will happen.

App used: Foldersync
Old 29th October 2017, 21:41   #26606
Senior - BHPian

I have a technical question about Android phones.

When the manufacturers release OTA updates and new versions of Android, does the Firmware/Driver of a component, for example the Modem or GPS also get updated ? If this is true then does it also get downgraded to the previous version if you roll back the Android update ?

Im asking because after the Nougat update my Oneplus 3 has very poor connectivity, especially with WiFi the range has has dropped significantly. I was wondering if things would improve if I rolled back to Marshmallow or if I stuck with the upgraded version of the modem firmware
Old 30th October 2017, 11:38   #26607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Jio is an LTE-only network, so they offer VoLTE (no other way to support voice calls). Other operators have existing 2G/3G infrastructure, so they use those for voice calls, keeping LTE networks exclusively for data services. It is purely operator's decision, nothing to do with FDD or TDD.
Thanks. As I already mentioned I am not an expert and I stand corrected.
Old 30th October 2017, 17:43   #26608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where did you see Vodafone uses B41 ? It seems like a TDD band which Vodafone has not officially launched yet. I have not faced any issues with Redmi 4 on Vodafone and Jio from the frequency band support perspective and you should be good.
I was informed of this by the Mi support team that Vodafone changed their bands to 1 & 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Yes, the phones should work in places where Vodafone provides LTE service in Band 1.

There are basic differences (in the radio) between FDD and TDD. So mobiles supporting only FDD will not be able to access TDD network and vice-versa.
Finally, I decided to just buy a phone that supports both Band 1 & 41. Hence went ahead and booked the Mi A1. Now awaiting delivery.
The compromise I made was the MIUI that I got so used to, for the stock Android + 2 year upgrade promise (guaranteed upgrade to Android P) + timely security upgrades.
Will be using the stock android for the first time. Let see.
Old 30th October 2017, 17:47   #26609
Senior - BHPian

Be aware of the app VivaVideo, free or paid.

It installs a malware that monitors your calls; acts as a caller ID app. Flawed app which will cause a major nuisance when you are in a call and another call comes in.

Developer has promised to release a new version making this "feature" optional. Till then, be careful.
Old 30th October 2017, 18:07   #26610
Distinguished - BHPian

I dropped my S7 edge on the road while getting out of my car and the screen developed a thin crack. The display was intact and one couldn't feel the crack but it was there. My phone is in it's last month of warranty, infact its valid only till November 2nd. I remembered Samsung's offer of changing the display in the first year for only Rs. 990. Hence took the phone to the service centre and it was a very pleasant experience. They have dedicated counters for the higher end phones. Showed them the bill and the screen was changed without any questions in half an hour. I opted for an extended warranty for Rs. 3k ( original cost is 4k but there is some Diwali promotion going on apparently). This is provided by Samsung and it covers any damage other than physical and due to water. All in all really happy with the whole experience and needless to say thanking my stars that it happened while the phone was still under original warranty.

Now looking to put a good screen guard and back cover. Any pointers?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks