Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2017, 18:14   #26746
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

LG finally launching the V30 in it's "+" avatar on the 13th. Hope it's priced below 50k
Old 7th December 2017, 19:27   #26747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post

Coming to the 5t, for the extra .5 inch screen space they have compromised on the camera and on the audio capabilities of the phone with the new extra sized screen now, probably, occupying the space of the earlier Telephoto camera(which provides optical zoom) and the Mics(which makes Vlogs better). These can be observed in the comparison videos posted by FoneArena and GeekyRanjit in Youtube.

Surprised you say this, as I recently moved from a Nexus 6p to a 5T and I am actually pretty impressed with this phone. The Nexus had a great camera, especially low light with google's HDR+ magic and the 5T is almost there in the low light department.

I got the 5T as soon as sales opened for prime members, so it's been 3 weeks now and the 5T has been a very dependable phone. Battery life is great too. For the money the 5T demands, it is truly brilliant !

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 7th December 2017 at 19:29.
Old 7th December 2017, 21:01   #26748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Surprised you say this,
I got the Oneplus 5 primarily for the camera, to use it in our family functions, my travels and in friends meetups.

Most of the shots that I take in my family functions(typical Indian Style with adults and children moving around) come out with people out of focus leaving no scope for clarity and sharpness to come into picture.

In friend meetups in low light conditions with the need to take some quick shots, many clicks come out blurred. The phone does just about a fair job in capturing nature.

(I'm not delving into the Video capabilities as the Camera has already failed miserably in my opinion)

So essentially if you see, hardly any Youtube reviewer cover the scenarios I have listed, they don't go to any indoor or outdoor events to capture situations and test the camera, they don't go to any functions either, to test the camera.

I think Oneplus knows this and targeted only the areas where the reviewers focus - the so called indoor photography, outdoor photography and the low-light photography leaving out the practical aspects which the Youtubers don't bother with due to several limitations.

Unfortunately as I listed, the specs or the cost of the camera units do not matter, if the camera is not able to capture shots with proper focus, clarity and sharpness. There is a huge difference between Prepared Photography and Dynamic Photography and the Youtubers are restricted on the latter, so companies like Oneplus don't bother with that either, leaving the customers confused with what they saw in the Youtube reviews and what is happening with the camera in their hands.

Earlier, businesses work hard spending a lot of time and resources to develop an USP that impresses people to buy their products, with changing times a lot of shady companies are propping up relying on tricks to sell their products.

Coming to the Headset audio - The phone does cover wide range of sound spectrum especially when I use Poweramp, but that's about it. There is no punch or crispness, everything including the voice sounds very bland killing the sheer joy of listening music. I sometimes wonder whether I'm listening to Stereo audio or Mono audio.

With regards to Oneplus 5T, please read my post again. They increased the screen size but the form factor remains almost the same as Oneplus 5, there by cutting the Telephoto camera and probably a couple of microphones. Check FoneArena and GeekyRanjit comparison videos. Also read GSMArena's review, they are of the opinion it's almost a single camera phone.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 7th December 2017 at 21:06.
Old 8th December 2017, 08:27   #26749
Oxy
BHPian

Couldn't resist the price cut on the Pixel 2 so took the plunge and ordered one just now (Blue colour, 64GB variant, non XL). Cannot wait for it to arrive. Should be a nice upgrade from my Redmi Note 3.

Similarly priced phones such as the iPhone 7 (32GB), Nokia 8 and the Oneplus 5T lost out narrowly as the Pixel 2 felt really good value at INR 40k.

Would love to hear from Pixel owners here of their good or bad experiences.

Last edited by Oxy : 8th December 2017 at 08:48.
Old 8th December 2017, 09:15   #26750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Surprised you say this, as I recently moved from a Nexus 6p to a 5T and I am actually pretty impressed with this phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I got the Oneplus 5 primarily for the camera, to use it in our family functions, my travels and in friends meetups.
While each has different requirement/expectation and satisfaction level, I can say the following after using both 5(spouse) and 5T (mine).

Phone: Form factor is almost same. You will readily see difference in screen aspect ratio with 5T. While it might be boon or bane (I find 5T form factor is bane for setting wallpaper, because images gets cropped more than I wanted). While normal reviewers go into too technical, All I can say is this; coming from Nexus 6, 5 and 5T screen just too good for me. Of course one can say , "But screen of S8/iphone/pixel... etc" which I can't afford. So I am happy with 5T.

Photos/Videos: In-terms of most photography done with 5 and 5T (in similar situations) produces similar pictures. I simply couldn't make out difference in any pictures! While photos itself is significant upgrade compared to Nexus 6. My phone photography needs are limited, hence it doesn't matter to me.

Phone Audio: 5 and 5T produce similar Audio on Bluetooth speaker (using VLC or tune-in app, youtube), sound same to me on Mi in-ear phones too. However since I have rooted 5T and installed Arise! Now music from 5T is another level with DTS-ATMOS & Viper!

Battery Life: While my wife gets 2 days battery back-up on her 5, I on other hand have different results. On good network 4G area (home) I get around 4 days , if it was home+office (say weekdays) then its almost 3 days! Difference is mainly due to our usage patterns + kernel on 5T (vs stock on 5).
While my wife is mostly on Instagram, she would have used around 7~8 hours SOT, always on 4G + wifi. Me however mostly using music (bluetooth) during commuting to office(1 hr daily), and web browsing with SOT not more than 5~6 hours ,Only 4G no Wifi. Battery life is also to do with habit of switching to 2G plus data off during nap time. I am surprised that 5T loses just 1% battery for entire 8 hours on 2G without data.
I do not charge phone till it goes below 2%. Dash charge is boon!

USB-C: Its been discussed in this thread both positives and negatives. We have Aukey 54W charger and Micro USB cable has become obsolete(That's -ve). In addition my USB OTG drive has become non-usable (one more -ve). Its also boon because my son (6y) usually fiddles with moms phone, he usually tries to put phone to charge. He broke two cables like that, damaged his grandmothers phone usb. USB C helps in not damaging the socket. I bought cheap USB-C to Micor USB adapter, now we can use Aukey charger as well as OTG. On a duplex house its boon to have multiple fixed charging points. So Aukey charges is in kitchen, while dash chargers are in up stair bedroom and family room.

I can say is I am happy with 5T and my wife with 5.

Last edited by RaguHolla : 8th December 2017 at 09:31. Reason: some words changed, added.
Old 8th December 2017, 20:56   #26751
Team-BHP Support

OnePlus 5T Owners: There is an update that fixes camera UI and image quality
https://www.androidauthority.com/one...update-817462/
Old 9th December 2017, 00:19   #26752
BHPian

I'm going to get myself a Sony XA1 Plus. What do you guys think about the battery life of this machine?
Battery backup was my prime criteria in choosing my next phone. It all boiled down to Mi Max 2, Redmi Note4 and a chance discovery of the XA1 Plus. But when I weighed the pros of the superb multimedia setup on the Sony plus the not-so-bad battery size, I figured the Sony definitely has the upper hand here. At 3430mAh and with a 23mp Exmor Sony camera, Walkman (now Music) music power, this thing seems loaded and I hope my betting on a good battery performance pays off. Anyone feedback on experience with this phone would be highly appreciated. Thanx in advance.
Old 9th December 2017, 03:24   #26753
Distinguished - BHPian

Wanted to buy my wife a Lenovo Tab 4 plus, with 64Gb internal storage, and phone calling (she uses the tab for Whatsapp). She has been dithering, and now I see all Tab4s seem to have vanished from Amazon. What does this mean? Time for Tab 5? But Tab 3 is still there!
Old 10th December 2017, 07:57   #26754
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to share my Galaxy Note 8 Review with fellow bhpians:

Old 10th December 2017, 11:03   #26755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
LG finally launching the V30 in it's "+" avatar on the 13th. Hope it's priced below 50k
Rumor has it - it will come for 47990. Not sure though.
Old 10th December 2017, 11:37   #26756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Rumor has it - it will come for 47990. Not sure though.
If this rumor turns out to be true and the "+" version comes at the rumored price, then it will be a very good pricing for the specs. I might even consider getting one to go along with the Iphone SE! Hope LG prices it sensibly!
Old 10th December 2017, 11:47   #26757
BHPian

i need one advice. Is the S-Pen, 2 GB of RAM and an extra camera worth the extra 9000 INR for the Note 8 over S8+?
Old 10th December 2017, 12:07   #26758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
i need one advice. Is the S-Pen, 2 GB of RAM and an extra camera worth the extra 9000 INR for the Note 8 over S8+?
yes its worth it. It has also dual camera set up like iphone 7/8 Plus series with telephoto capability.
Old 10th December 2017, 14:57   #26759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Wanted to buy my wife a Lenovo Tab 4 plus, with 64Gb internal storage, and phone calling (she uses the tab for Whatsapp). She has been dithering, and now I see all Tab4s seem to have vanished from Amazon. What does this mean? Time for Tab 5? But Tab 3 is still there!
The need is a seven- to eight-inch tablet with reasonable performance, wifi and 4g mobile data and voice calling. The latter is because she uses it for Whatsapp, which she is determined to keep off her phone, and installation without it seems possible but dependent on hacks so not guaranteed. It should also have good internal storage.

Budget, 20k. recommendations?
Old 10th December 2017, 15:10   #26760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One piece of advise. Do not buy Android tablets. If you absolutely must get a tablet, get an iPad Mini (or normal iPad).

Most Viewed