Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2017, 16:57   #26671
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Nah, the OnePlus 5T's screen lured me away from the Nokia 8. Just got it today.
Could you please give us a short actual usage review on the 5T. Especially the screen/brightness/contrast and if you have seen the Samsung Note 8/Pixel XL, how the 5T compares with these flagship phones.

Which variant did you purchase, 6 or 8 gb?

Thanks in advance Marauder and wish you happy times with the new toy.

Cheers
Old 22nd November 2017, 22:49   #26672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Could you please give us a short actual usage review on the 5T. Especially the screen/brightness/contrast and if you have seen the Samsung Note 8/Pixel XL, how the 5T compares with these flagship phones.
Yes, i'll post it after using the phone for a couple of days. I have used the original Pixel XL and on first impressions, it seems really similar in terms of user experience and performance.

Quote:
Which variant did you purchase, 6 or 8 gb?

Thanks in advance Marauder and wish you happy times with the new toy.

Cheers
Thanks man, I purchased the 8GB/128GB version.
Old 23rd November 2017, 00:08   #26673
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys,

I am considering upgrading from my Redmi Note 3 (Apr 2016) to a OnePlus 5 or OnePlus 3T or Samsung S7 Edge. This will be a US purchase, but Unlocked handset.

What's the deal these days with One Plus - Still giving usb type C port or regular micro usb ? I absolutely hate One Plus for this Type C port funda.

Yes, I know I can buy adapters to convert it into a regular micro usb port, but that would stick out of the phone, thereby looking ugly and inconvenient.

If that is the case, I guess, I have to go back to Samsung again.
Old 23rd November 2017, 00:20   #26674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

What's the deal these days with One Plus - Still giving usb type C port or regular micro usb ? I absolutely hate One Plus for this Type C port funda.

Yes, I know I can buy adapters to convert it into a regular micro usb port, but that would stick out of the phone, thereby looking ugly and inconvenient.

If that is the case, I guess, I have to go back to Samsung again.
Huh? Every phone will move to Type C shortly. Pretty much all phones in 2017 are type C only from Motorola, Samsung, google, HTC, Oneplus, LG.

The whole idea of Type C is because they can support higher data rates, fast charging and the biggest advantage of omni directional.

Infact even laptops are doing away with regular USB and supporting Type C ports.

If you want a good phone you will get Type C. If you compromise and want a cheap old gen phone then you will get micro USB.

Hilarious to see you are blaming oneplus for getting Type C when people are complaining why Samsung and Moto doesn't get Type C on the cheaper devices.
Old 23rd November 2017, 00:37   #26675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Huh? Every phone will move to Type C shortly. Pretty much all phones in 2017 are type C only from Motorola, Samsung, google, HTC, Oneplus, LG.

The whole idea of Type C is because they can support higher data rates, fast charging and the biggest advantage of omni directional.

Infact even laptops are doing away with regular USB and supporting Type C ports.

If you want a good phone you will get Type C. If you compromise and want a cheap old gen phone then you will get micro USB.

Hilarious to see you are blaming oneplus for getting Type C when people are complaining why Samsung and Moto doesn't get Type C on the cheaper devices.
Well, you and me back to square one from 6 months back ! Lets take it offline like always

By the way, I am all game for Type C for whatever benefits you highlighted. But I don't want to suffer for the next 2 years till type C becomes a standard across all devices.

As an end customer I want a stable technology. Not suffer for 2 years till its sorted out.
You see, buying an Alto is always better than a Tesla Prototype
Old 23rd November 2017, 08:30   #26676
BHPian

Quote:
But I don't want to suffer for the next 2 years till type C becomes a standard across all devices.
As an end customer I want a stable technology. Not suffer for 2 years till its sorted out.
Well, it has become the standard. If you said this 2 years ago, then maybe your point had some merit but, every device is moving towards USB-C. Some are even removing the headphone jack(wrongly) on their phones due to the presence of USB-C.

Just out of curiosity, why do you even want micro-USB on your phone?
Old 23rd November 2017, 08:51   #26677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Well, it has become the standard....snip....but, every device is moving towards USB-C.
You contradicted your own statement. Type C is not Standard yet. LG G5 is on type C. Samsung are still on Micro USB. Pixel is on Type C. We can debate each handset model and yet majority of the handsets don't have Type C ports yet.

Fast charging is now available on most devices through the 2A charger block. Even my Redmi Note3 charges from 0 to 50% in 20-25 mins. Thats pretty fast as per me.

Quote:
Some are even removing the headphone jack(wrongly) on their phones due to the presence of USB-C.
Sorry, didn't understand this point. How is headphone jack related to type of charging port ? I thought headphone jacks are always 3.5mm ports. (Am not even discussing Apple, they are crazy at their own level)

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why do you even want micro-USB on your phone?
Well, I now have to buy 2 additional USB Type C cables separately, one of office, one for car. This is a pain. Probably I have to buy and keep a third one in the suitcase also, lest i travel somewhere and that place is not advanced yet to have Type C cables all around the house.

You see, I am not arguing the technology. All that matters is this is not yet standard. It might take another 2 years to become standard where a Rs.3000 Redmi or Samsung will also have a Type C charger and I don't have to bother to take my charger everywhere.

Coming back to my purchase, please suggest, if Samsung S7 is good these days ? Are the high end Samsungs free from bloatware ? Or do these also become deadly slow after 1 year ?
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:11   #26678
BHPian

Quote:
You contradicted your own statement. Type C is not Standard yet. LG G5 is on type C. Samsung are still on Micro USB. Pixel is on Type C. We can debate each handset model and yet majority of the handsets don't have Type C ports yet.

Sorry, didn't understand this point. How is headphone jack related to type of charging port ? I thought headphone jacks are always 3.5mm ports. (Am not even discussing Apple, they are crazy at their own level)

Well, I now have to buy 2 additional USB Type C cables separately, one of office, one for car. This is a pain.
I will point out some areas where you are wrong.
1. LG, Samsung and pixel are all onto type C for their flagship devices. S8 duo and Note 8 are all type C.

2. Type C is not only about fast charging your phone it's more to do with faster data transfer upto 10 gb/s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
I will point out some areas where you are wrong.
1. LG, Samsung and pixel are all onto type C for their flagship devices. S8 duo and Note 8 are all type C.

2. Type C is not only about fast charging your phone it's more to do with faster data transfer upto 10 gb/s.
And did I mention the convenience of a reversible port? This is one area where android devices are far ahead of the game. While apple is stuck with USB 2.0 on their lightning port, all of the flagship devices have moved to Usb Type C.

Sorry for the back to back posts. Mods please merge.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd November 2017 at 09:33. Reason: merging posts. Pls. use edit option when replying within 30mins.
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:16   #26679
BANNED

Quote:

Fast charging is now available on most devices through the 2A charger block. Even my Redmi Note3 charges from 0 to 50% in 20-25 mins. Thats pretty fast as per me.

Coming back to my purchase, please suggest, if Samsung S7 is good these days ? Are the high end Samsungs free from bloatware ? Or do these also become deadly slow after 1 year ?
I'm using S7 since last 2 months, and it's a nice upgrade over my old Redmi note 3. And loving the still micro usb too. The camera, display, speed all are better.

And i couldn't get my note 3 to charge that fast. Do tell how you manage that.
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:20   #26680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I now have to buy 2 additional USB Type C cables separately, one of office, one for car.
Tell me about it. This year both me and my wife changed our phones, and both our new ones are Type-C. All my existing microUSB cable collection (at home, in both our cars, at my office, in our travel bags...) are unusable, but not just yet discardable since my other phone, tablet, my son's phone etc. are still on microUSB.

Have been through this in the past too. ThinkPads (my choice of laptop for 15+ years now) have gone through three different charging plugs in these years; so every so often my older chargers won't work with my latest laptop. Nokia famously did this with their feature phones (a thinner charger). And so on.

Quote:
All that matters is this is not yet standard. It might take another 2 years to become standard where a Rs.3000 Redmi or Samsung will also have a Type C charger and I don't have to bother to take my charger everywhere.
I was so confused about your point so far; but now I see what you mean. I think the word you should use is "popular", not "standard". Type-C is standard, just that it is not popular. What OEMs are doing now (putting it on more and more phone models) is to make the standard, popular.
Old 23rd November 2017, 09:32   #26681
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
LG G5 has always been Type C. It was launched with Type C and so is LG G6.

Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+ Note 8 and Note 7 are all on Type C. The only phone didn't have Type C was S7 and S7 edge. Samsung got burnt for that since they thought Type C was not yet popular but they ended up getting left behind when everyone has moved to Type C.

Quote:
Fast charging is not 2A it is much more. It is available on both Type C and older micro USB as well.

Quote:
Type C supports audio as well so manufacturers like HTC, Google are removing the 3.5mm port cause you can use the Type C port for audio as well.

Quote:
Well, I now have to buy 2 additional USB Type C cables separately, one of office, one for car. This is a pain. Probably I have to buy and keep a third one in the suitcase also, lest i travel somewhere and that place is not advanced yet to have Type C cables all around the house.
Quote:
You see, I am not arguing the technology. All that matters is this is not yet standard. It might take another 2 years to become standard where a Rs.3000 Redmi or Samsung will also have a Type C charger and I don't have to bother to take my charger everywhere.
It will only become a standard when people start thinking differently. Right now the cheaper phones haven't moved to type C for 2 reasons. Type C chipsets are slightly more expensive than micro USB.

Secondly and more relevant reason is because buyers like you don't understand and still have a block that Type C is unnecessary. Since people want cheap phones in the lower end and don't want to invest in changing cables they don't prefer Type C thinking they need to spend more and buy new cables. This means a budget phone with type C people think twice before buying.

In the higher end segment, buyers are more aware and are ready to buy the new and better technology rather than stick to old tried and trusted. I have had type C for more than 2 years now and struggle to go back to micro USB. I just bought a set of 3 cables from Anker for $10 and the charger that came with the box. With that never needed to worry about cables. I anyways hate borrowing other peoples cables or use common charging stations.

Luckily Motorola and Oneplus is changing this. Moto Z2 Play and X4 both are with Type C. Actually Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 and the cheaper Mi A1 is also Type C. And the A1 is 15K in India.

As others mentioned, Type C was a risk maybe 2 years back but now is the default standard. Notice that if you buy a good laptop today, it will be Type C.

Quote:
Nope not at all. Any good phone comes with Type C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

I was so confused about your point so far; but now I see what you mean. I think the word you should use is "popular", not "standard". Type-C is standard, just that it is not popular. What OEMs are doing now (putting it on more and more phone models) is to make the standard, popular.
Isn't this contradictory? How will it become popular if people don't start accepting the standard introduced more than 2 years back.

Basically you are waiting for the world to change before you change rather than change along with the world.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd November 2017 at 10:25.
Old 23rd November 2017, 10:43   #26682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I am considering upgrading from my Redmi Note 3 (Apr 2016) to a OnePlus 5 or OnePlus 3T or Samsung S7 Edge. This will be a US purchase, but Unlocked handset.
I was on the same boat couple of months back. After using couple of phones from Redmi, I moved to OP5. I wasnt keen on getting multiple type c cables and carrying it around. But the the phone wont disappoint you. Dash charging is simply amazing and the ad is true to it's word - a day's charge in half n hour (atleast in my case). I havent bought extra cables yet as it easily lasts minimum 1.5 days.

Type C cable shouldn't be your biggest worry as of now imo.
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:16   #26683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Isn't this contradictory? How will it become popular if people don't start accepting the standard introduced more than 2 years back.

Basically you are waiting for the world to change before you change rather than change along with the world.
No, not me. I'm fine with standardized but not-so-popular things. I just bought some extra cables and am good now (2x Amazon Basics and 2x some other brand; so now I have type-C cables in both my cars and at my office).

To be clear - when I was evaluating my current phone, the fact that the Z2 Play had Type-C had come up but it didn't affect my choice of the phone. I just thought it is something I need to be aware of, that's all. Not a make-or-break feature.

Last edited by binand : 23rd November 2017 at 11:20.
Old 23rd November 2017, 14:29   #26684
BHPian

Quote:
I now have to buy 2 additional USB Type C cables separately, one of office, one for car. This is a pain. Probably I have to buy and keep a third one in the suitcase also, lest i travel somewhere and that place is not advanced yet to have Type C cables all around the house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Tell me about it. This year both me and my wife changed our phones, and both our new ones are Type-C. All my existing microUSB cable collection (at home, in both our cars, at my office, in our travel bags...) are unusable, but not just yet discardable since my other phone, tablet, my son's phone etc. are still on microUSB.
No intention of being part of the standards flame war (I have seen enough examples of the xkcd.com comic at https://xkcd.com/927/ to be emotionally invested in any given standard/fad) and just want to throw a practical suggestion in... Get a bunch of Type-C to Micro USB Adapter USB 3.1 - Support's OTG & Data Transfer (https://www.amazon.in/dp/B06X6FWZ25/..._wNOfAbYG66XF9) and keep them around with you - cars/suitcase/bag/pouch/what-have-you.
I have a micro usb mobile device and my wife has type C. The adapter works beautifully (for our dedicated cables) and we are never at lot if we travel because she has one of these in her purse and I have one in mine.
Old 23rd November 2017, 17:17   #26685
BHPian

Quote:
Others have already argued regarding the benefits of Type-C, so I'll just offer suggestions by which you can move to Type-C with fewer hassles.

If you are worried about charging everywhere, the best alternative would be to get a Type-C to micro-USB adapter and carry it with your phone. It may be a hassle but, it saves you from buying 10 cables. Either way, it's always better to use the supplied charger and adapter rather than borrowing some other phone's charger.

I don't think any current-gen flagship comes with a micro-USB port so, if that's a deal breaker for you then, you'd have to look at older phones or budget phones.

Quote:
The bloatware has been reduced after the launch of S6 but, it's still not close to stock Android. Not that it's a completely bad thing as some of the enhancements in Samsung's UI make Android better but, if you're looking for phones which are close to stock Android then, Samsung phones aren't the way to go.

S7 is almost 2 years old so, it wouldn't be advisable to go for such an old phone as software support would be pretty limited going forward. It's highly unlikely that it would be updated after Android 8.1.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks