Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2014, 16:01   #19171
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

My Redmi 1S is not connecting to the Home Modem BSNL_AP over Wifi. Means it showing "Obtaining IP Address..." but not getting connected. My MMX A117 is getting connected to the BSNL_AP.
What is the problem? Also the Redmi connects to the Wifi shared over MMX without any problem. So why the BSNL_AP taking so long time to assign IP Address to Redmi?
Old 14th September 2014, 20:41   #19172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
My Redmi 1S is not connecting to the Home Modem BSNL_AP over Wifi. Means it showing "Obtaining IP Address..." but not getting connected. My MMX A117 is getting connected to the BSNL_AP.
What is the problem? Also the Redmi connects to the Wifi shared over MMX without any problem. So why the BSNL_AP taking so long time to assign IP Address to Redmi?
The Problem got resolved. I reset the Phone's Personal Data under Settings>Backup & Reset> Personal Data and did the configuration again from Start. Now the Redmi connects to BSNL Modem over Wifi.

One more thing I want to mention that I got an Update of 21.3MB (MIUI JHCMIBF36.0). I carried out the Update.
Old 14th September 2014, 20:58   #19173
BHPian

The first phones from the Android One program will be unveiled tomorrow.

Flipkart inadvertently leaked the specs of Spice's Android One device.

Specs seem good, and with Nexus style updates from Google, I expect these devices to be a hit.
Old 15th September 2014, 17:12   #19174
BHPian

Android One is now available at Flipkart at Rs 6,299/-

http://www.flipkart.com/spice-androi...c-e075fac05354

Comes with promised upgrades for next 2 years.
Comes with pure Android which compensates the otherwise mediocre looking hardware specs.

Some good discount is again available on wooden back versions of the Moto X (1st Gen). Its now available at Rs 21,999/-.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 15th September 2014 at 17:22.
Old 16th September 2014, 14:04   #19175
BHPian

I was successful in today's Redmi 1S sale.
Old 16th September 2014, 14:13   #19176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I was successful in today's Redmi 1S sale.
Congratulations!
I had purchased it in the September 2nd sale which was the first batch and I got it in my hand on 8th. I purchased it as a birthday gift to my sister-in-law but still is with me. I'm doing the initial installations. It looks a fantastic piece of equipment. After I gift it, I'll check its full potential.

Today's batch of Redmi 1s will not get screen protector and sim adaptor.

I had to get 1 screen protector and 1 sim adaptor but because of some packaging error I guess, I got 3 screen guards and 2 sim adaptors
Old 16th September 2014, 22:02   #19177
BHPian

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Today was quite a lucky day for me, as i was successful in getting 2 Redmi 1S. I need only one, which I am gifting my Dad. If anyone wants another one, kindly PM me.

Regards.

EDIT: The phone is booked by mukeshgoel

Last edited by KING DYSP : 16th September 2014 at 22:31. Reason: Redmi 1S is booked within few mins ;-)
Old 17th September 2014, 06:13   #19178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Congratulations!
I had purchased it in the September 2nd sale which was the first batch and I got it in my hand on 8th. I purchased it as a birthday gift to my sister-in-law but still is with me. I'm doing the initial installations. It looks a fantastic piece of equipment. After I gift it, I'll check its full potential.

Today's batch of Redmi 1s will not get screen protector and sim adaptor.

I had to get 1 screen protector and 1 sim adaptor but because of some packaging error I guess, I got 3 screen guards and 2 sim adaptors
All first batch sales included 3 skins and 2 sim trays. Me too got the same package!
Old 17th September 2014, 08:45   #19179
BHPian

A friend has a RedMi 1s in his cart but is not sure to go for it or buy one of the Android One phones.

I think there is some uncertainty on future upgrades (Android L and beyond) for Redmi, on the other hand the newly launched Android One phones in India seem to lack the power specs and 4 GB internal storage may limit application installs.

Any advice from the expert Android gurus ?

Could the existing Redmi owners also share their experience so far ?
Old 17th September 2014, 09:31   #19180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
A friend has a RedMi 1s in his cart but is not sure to go for it or buy one of the Android One phones.

I think there is some uncertainty on future upgrades (Android L and beyond) for Redmi, on the other hand the newly launched Android One phones in India seem to lack the power specs and 4 GB internal storage may limit application installs.

Sir just in case he doesn't plan to buy it, can you request him to book it (as COD) for me. I couldn't get through the sale.
Old 17th September 2014, 09:35   #19181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The only advantage I see for Android One phones is the guaranteed software updates.
Old 17th September 2014, 10:01   #19182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
The only advantage I see for Android One phones is the guaranteed software updates.
Not only that much

Android One KitKat kernel source released

So AndroidOne has got better and assured future n the dev community as well.

See, its not the hardware which actually matters, its the capability of the hardware to handle a particular software. Android has big drawback that its very resource demanding OS. On the other hand, look at Apple phones, how fluid they are despite of the fact that they don't have that much of high end hardware. But its the iOS which does the magic.

Now Google has instructed to the devs to develop more and more apps which are compatible with their AndroidOne devices.

Hardware has already come along to far away but still scope of improvement is felt, thats a serious problem which should be cured. Now its time to refine the Android OS so that it can run fluidly. And Google already seem to be working on that. Kitkat feels lighter compared to previous versions. Next version of Android is supposed to be a totally revamped version and expected to be better performer and efficient OS compared to previous versions.

Heavily bloated interfaces make the situation worst. Chinese interfaces like MIUI maybe suitable for the Chinese people but not for those who have tasted pure form of Android.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 17th September 2014 at 10:13.
Old 17th September 2014, 10:01   #19183
BHPian

The specs on those Android One phones aren't that bad, you know. That MediaTek SoC might lack the oomph to go head to head with the Snapdragon 400, but it should provide Snapdragon 200 levels of performance.

That, along with the stock android UI should result in a fairly zippy device.

The only problem I see with it is the relatively low amount of internal storage (2.1GB user available)

But if you aren't going to install any big games, then it should be fine I guess.

Another good thing is, these phones WILL be available in retail shops as well, and won't be sold only through the e-tailers.

Can't say whether the prices will remain the same, though.
Old 17th September 2014, 11:16   #19184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Go for it, blindly. IMHO you are getting a MotoG level phone with an awesome camera at MotoE prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Heavily bloated interfaces make the situation worst. Chinese interfaces like MIUI maybe suitable for the Chinese people but not for those who have tasted pure form of Android.
Completely disagree. I have tried CM11 so many times but I miss the pizzazz and the nifty little features of MIUI (call recording/ dialer/toggles/ interface/built in tools). CM11 is too plain jane. MIUI eats up enough RAM but the phone never slows down - that's good enough for me.

Different strokes for different folks.

Lastly, I disagree with your chinese interface perception - MIUI is the slickest android skin out there after Sense. Many of us Defy owners happily used the MIUI port over the plain jane CM7/CM9 since 2011/12. The phone flew on that despite of limited RAM and processor!
Old 17th September 2014, 12:18   #19185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Lastly, I disagree with your chinese interface perception - MIUI is the slickest android skin out there after Sense. Many of us Defy owners happily used the MIUI port over the plain jane CM7/CM9 since 2011/12. The phone flew on that despite of limited RAM and processor!
Its not perception, it came after experiencing few such ROMs.

And about MIUI rom in Defy, I don't think Defy's system partition can accommodate full version of MIUI, it must be a heavily trimmed down version of the MIUI. Then AFAIK there are some issues with CM also for the Defy.

If you want to compare two ROMs then first of all you should have access to stable versions of those ROMs for a particular device. Then only you can come onto conclusion.

I don't know about Redmi but there are few AOSP ROMs available for MI3. I am sure people who have had MIUI on their MI3 phones will agree with me after trying out AOSP ROMs on their MI3 that AOSP ROMs make the phone more lighter.

Most Viewed