Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2014, 19:09   #19291
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@arnabchak - Also try to switch the pin and observe the charging rate. Switching the pin means left side leg of the charger in the right side hole of power outlet at your home.
Old 29th September 2014, 19:40   #19292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Install CM11 or any AOSP ROM's and be happy In fact, everyone other than Samsung Note users should get rid of Touchwiz in my opinion. Note users are stuck with Touchwiz unless they don't want S-Pen functionalities. My wife's S4 had the same troubles of overheating and slowness. Now on CM 11 for the past 4-5 months and everything's butter smooth and looks are miles ahead of Touchwiz !
A college friend of mine has made an app for the exact problem. The reviews seem to be overall positive. I personally haven't used this app.

Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...n_helper&hl=en
Old 29th September 2014, 21:02   #19293
BHPian

Need help with a dilemma please.

I bought the Redmi 1S for a friend on flipkart from the first sale in 2nd Sep. delivered on 9th.

Since I wanted update/check it before sending to a friend, used it for a few days. I was using a Samsung S3 till then.

Now I don't want to go back to the S3 Liked the MIUI so much with permissions and controls that stop apps from accessing the net.

Looking at the MIUI, I realised that there exists a version of the same for the S3. Just wanted to know if any of you have used the MIUI or some other rom for the S3 which are better than the stock with full functionality?

What I am worried more is that the phone possibly keeps communicating info back to Xiaomi and if the MIUI rom for the S3 also does the same.

Tried reading about this MIUI and roms for the last 4 days but it's a bit too much to sink in so fast and I usually like to read about before I decide.

I am registered again for tomorrow's sale and I want to buy another one to send to the friend. So should I buy?

Last edited by aah78 : 29th September 2014 at 23:39. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Old 29th September 2014, 23:15   #19294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Issue is with stock Touchwiz of Samsung. Try installing AOSP ROM! Or just debloat your stock ROM!
Hi Gokrish.
I guess I should have been more specific. I am a bit of a dummy with regards to smart (stupid) phones.
Please explain what is AOSP ROM and how do I download it?

Regards,
SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Install CM11 or any AOSP ROM's and be happy In fact, everyone other than Samsung Note users should get rid of Touchwiz in my opinion. Note users are stuck with Touchwiz unless they don't want S-Pen functionalities. My wife's S4 had the same troubles of overheating and slowness. Now on CM 11 for the past 4-5 months and everything's butter smooth and looks are miles ahead of Touchwiz !
Hi BHP Maniac,
How do I go about installing CM11?? What exactly is Touchwiz? I am guessing that CM11 is a sort of operating system. Maybe it would be bettr if I took the phone to a Samsung dealer and ask them to install it?

Regards,
SS
Old 29th September 2014, 23:54   #19295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Need help with a dilemma please.

I bought the Redmi 1S for a friend on flipkart from the first sale in 2nd Sep. delivered on 9th.

Since I wanted update/check it before sending to a friend, used it for a few days. I was using a Samsung S3 till then.

Now I don't want to go back to the S3 Liked the MIUI so much with permissions and controls that stop apps from accessing the net.

Looking at the MIUI, I realised that there exists a version of the same for the S3. Just wanted to know if any of you have used the MIUI or some other rom for the S3 which are better than the stock with full functionality?

What I am worried more is that the phone possibly keeps communicating info back to Xiaomi and if the MIUI rom for the S3 also does the same.

Tried reading about this MIUI and roms for the last 4 days but it's a bit too much to sink in so fast and I usually like to read about before I decide.

I am registered again for tomorrow's sale and I want to buy another one to send to the friend. So should I buy?
i have the MIUI S3 http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...-5-30-t2768631 (official is crap) which is generally okay but has the following issues:
a. occasional battery drain
b. daily sudden reboots
c. phone mic does not mute on calls. irrespective of whether I'm on BT/headset/otherwise.
Old 30th September 2014, 05:37   #19296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Gokrish.
I guess I should have been more specific. I am a bit of a dummy with regards to smart (stupid) phones.
Please explain what is AOSP ROM and how do I download it?

Regards,
SS
Hi San, AOSP ROMs are pure vanilla ROMs like Cynogenmod, Paranoid android, Liquid smooth, etc, cooked from Android Open Source Project. But touchwiz is basically a heavily modified Samsung OS made from same aosp source but with lot of bloatwares. Just visit xda developers or CyanogenMod for further information as this involves rooting your phone and this can not be further discussed here.
Old 30th September 2014, 06:07   #19297
BHPian

Quote:
Hi BHP Maniac,
How do I go about installing CM11?? What exactly is Touchwiz? I am guessing that CM11 is a sort of operating system. Maybe it would be bettr if I took the phone to a Samsung dealer and ask them to install it?

Regards,
SS
And for God's sake, don't approach Samsung to do this as, in the first place, they will not do this and secondly rooting your phone as a precursor to installing AOSP ROM, will void your warranty! But worry not as this can be undone as and when required!
Old 30th September 2014, 06:41   #19298
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Would appreciate any advice.

Regards,
SS
First, try clearing the cache of all the apps you have installed, this will clear a lot of old junk and speed up the phone a little.

I would avoid using these 'RAM booster' apps. That's because, in Android, free RAM is wasted RAM. The android system will keep your frequently used apps in the RAM, so that they will load up quickly when you open them.

But if you keep clearing the apps from the RAM, then they will take more time to open up. Besides, the android system will just put the apps back in the RAM anyway, so its just a circle.
Old 30th September 2014, 14:32   #19299
BHPian

Had registered for todays Redmi 1s sale and it was my first time. Got through and made the payment, now waiting for the delivery. Meanwhile guys, i have been on IOS for long, from iphone 2g to iphone 5 now, this would be my secondary phone. I am totally new to Android platform. Could somebody guide me how to transfer my contacts from iphone 5 to Redmi 1S??
Old 30th September 2014, 14:54   #19300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Could somebody guide me how to transfer my contacts from iphone 5 to Redmi 1S??
Sync your contacts to your gmail account on the iphone and then set up the RedMI using that gmail account

Done
Old 30th September 2014, 19:03   #19301
Senior - BHPian

Update on the broken screen of my dad's Moto E.

Only one motorola service center in Faridabad which was surprising and more shocking when I found it closed forever.

So inquired from Delhi ones and they quoted 3-4 days leaving phone with them and a bill of 3500 which incidentally is half price of phone itself. Now, my office being in Karolbagh decided to enquire here and voila found a guy who replaced it with an original screen in 2 hours flat. Cost-2k. He also told me the screens actual price is just 1500.

Shows how much these service centers loot us.
Old 1st October 2014, 22:27   #19302
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Place a COD order if you are not OK with online transactions. please avoid the Samsung low budget junk.
That's what i have done. Expecting delivery on Monday.
Anything to be careful about while taking delivery?

Also need to transfer all my Mom's contacts into the Moto G which is a headache in itself. She currently uses Nokia N79 which doesn't work properly, it has bluetooth & she has another basic Nokia phone which she uses but that doesn't have bluetooth. The sim doesn't have that much memory to hold onto 500 contacts. Another headache is that Moto G might probably have Micro Sim?!
Old 1st October 2014, 22:42   #19303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
need to transfer all my Mom's contacts into the Moto G which is a headache in itself.
No headache as far as you have a laptop/PC having Nokia PC Suite (or whichever software is compatible with your Nokia phone).

Just sync you phone contacts into PC Suite, select all contacts in the PC Suite and export them as .CSV file, import the .CSV file into your GMail account which you are going to setup on your Android phone. Sync you phone and done. Simple
Old 2nd October 2014, 10:01   #19304
Senior - BHPian

Anyone tried the latest Redmi OTA update released a few days ago ? There are reports of better memory usage but faster battery drain, so I'm not sure if I should install it.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 2nd October 2014 at 10:03.
Old 2nd October 2014, 11:27   #19305
BHPian

Tried the first Android phone which I got for the Mrs.

Moto G. People who want an app a day would love it. I on the other hand was pulling my hair out trying to personalize the phone. No problems with the performance, camera, calls etc but some things are truly weird -
1. Why does that app which I have not started keep running in the background?
2. Why cant I make named folders in the app drawer?
3. Why do I need an app to close apps ?
4. Why do simple apps like Flipkart and Amazon hog so much space - where all they do is point to the mobile site of the desktop version?

Makes me feel why I loved the old Nokias - still going strong with N9 and thinking of getting the Jolla. As they say correctly, once you get used to gesture based OS you would never want to go back.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 2nd October 2014 at 11:41. Reason: Adding info

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks