Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2014, 20:04   #19336
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
i recommend 3rd party alarms over the OEM IMHO. curious why you need to bother with cache clearing etc. for alarms! I am not aware of such a need.

i use alarm clock xtreme with some loud fire alarm sirens.
O let me check that. Will use this app in place of the OEM one then. Btw, if we set an alarm on the OEM one and switch off the phone, the phone starts at the destined time for the alarm to go off. Is it also the case with such 3rd party apps? Or will they not cause the phone to boot on its own?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I have the Mi3 too and the alarm is working fine on my phone. Do check if any apps are conflicting with the alarm or if you have more than one alarm set up causing a conflict.
Apparently, there isn't any such problem. Quite weird. But as SunnyBoi has stated, its a common Android bug. Or there might be some problem, which I can not spot.

-Bhargav
Old 7th October 2014, 22:05   #19337
BHPian

I've ordered a Moto E, as a second / backup phone. Got it for 5.5K on FlipKarts Big Billion Day sale, delivery is expected by 18th Oct
Old 7th October 2014, 22:12   #19338
BHPian

Bought a 'Reconnect '.by Reliance,purely on impulse.At 7000,1GB Ram.8 GB 4.2.2.quadcore .2MP front,13MP main Camera. etc...Looks good for daily use.Did not load any game yet.will explore further.
Old 7th October 2014, 22:30   #19339
Senior - BHPian

Interesting use of Android technology:

An app for Google glass that shows text of spoken words in real-time. Should help hearing impaired.

https://gigaom.com/2014/10/03/read-t...ring-impaired/
Old 8th October 2014, 00:08   #19340
BHPian

Looking for a an android ( around 10k INR budget) for my Mom. A good secondary camera is a priority as it would be mainly used for video calls on skype on 3G. Any suggestions please?
Old 8th October 2014, 00:41   #19341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Interesting use of Android technology:

An app for Google glass that shows text of spoken words in real-time. Should help hearing impaired.

https://gigaom.com/2014/10/03/read-t...ring-impaired/
Should help the wealthy hearing impaired.

I missed the "Google Glass" in your post, and so got disappointed. I ought to look for some phone-only app if there is one, as I miss, or have to have repeated, quite a lot of what is said to me.

Anyway, it's good to know people are working on this stuff.
Old 8th October 2014, 08:08   #19342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Looking for a an android ( around 10k INR budget) for my Mom. A good secondary camera is a priority as it would be mainly used for video calls on skype on 3G. Any suggestions please?
Lava has Iris X5 which has a fairly decent 5MP front camera with flash for 8.6k. being a budget android, i suspect it would lag a bit, or you'd need to root it and shut down most of the bloated google apps.

Else asus zenfone 5 would be quick in that price range with a decent front cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
O let me check that. Will use this app in place of the OEM one then. Btw, if we set an alarm on the OEM one and switch off the phone, the phone starts at the destined time for the alarm to go off. Is it also the case with such 3rd party apps? Or will they not cause the phone to boot on its own?
No, I didn't see such an option in alarm clock extreme. I thought only BBs and nokia phones would do that. my S3 didnt wake up courtesy the app.
Old 8th October 2014, 08:29   #19343
BHPian

Quote:
Lava has Iris X5 which has a fairly decent 5MP front camera with flash for 8.6k. being a budget android, i suspect it would lag a bit, or you'd need to root it and shut down most of the bloated google apps.

Else asus zenfone 5 would be quick in that price range with a decent front cam
Thanks phamilyman! I was doing a bit of research myself and came across xiaomi redmi 1s which had good reviews ( though not specifically on the front camera). Any thoughts on this?

Also asus phone customers had given negative feedback on their service in some of the sites I checked. That's another important constraint. I willing to stretch my budget if I am not able to find one which is reliable.
Old 8th October 2014, 09:33   #19344
BHPian

MIUI V6 has made its way to many other phones. My ancient HoX got an update as well. I gave it a whirl and i am mighty impressed with its 5 hours screen time that i got when i used it(highest so far, even higher than the stock rom). Do check Goo.IM of ibotpeaches for english versions of MIUI(this rom has too much bloat in terms of chinese apps).
Old 8th October 2014, 09:58   #19345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Should help the wealthy hearing impaired.

I missed the "Google Glass" in your post, and so got disappointed. I ought to look for some phone-only app if there is one, as I miss, or have to have repeated, quite a lot of what is said to me.
Given that this work was done by academic institution, hopefully it will be open source and someone will be able to make a standalone app.
Old 8th October 2014, 14:55   #19346
BHPian

planning to ditch CDMA and join GSM Bandwagon ,looking for a budget phone 7.5 to 10 k max ,was tempted with Panasonic p81 any feedback on this particular model .
Old 8th October 2014, 16:20   #19347
BHPian

Quote:
No, I didn't see such an option in alarm clock extreme. I thought only BBs and nokia phones would do that. my S3 didnt wake up courtesy the app.
Even I thought the same thing that only BBs boot themselves on alarm time, but I was amazed to see this feature on the Mi3 stock alarm.

BTW, I tried this thing with alarm clock extreme and No, it doesn't cause the phone to boot for the alarm to go off. But, I liked the app nevertheless, and now don't have to rely on the unreliable stock one.

-Bhargav
Old 8th October 2014, 18:44   #19348
BHPian

My favourite alarm app is Timely.

It's simple, it's beautiful, and it does the job pretty well.

Do check it out!
Old 8th October 2014, 23:16   #19349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
"Xiaomi is also selling 25,000 units of Mi 3 smartphone tomorrow, the phone will however will only be offered to the consumers, who have tried to buy it as a part of five or more flash sales but were unsuccessful. Flipkart will be informing such consumers today, letting them know that MI 3 will automatically be added into their carts on October 6."

Anybody here who has registered 5 times and already got the MI3? Can help me to get MI3 in this sale? Kindly pm me.
This is best part of Team BHP, you dont know when you get the right help from here. After this post i got a PM asking me if i wanted the MI3 that this Sr. BHPian had in his cart, immediately i texted him my address and today i have the MI3 with me. Thanks to Senior BHPian KLUB CLASS.

Got it on COD yesterday at my residence, and just loving every bit of the phone. I have been a Iphone guy and have been using Iphone from 2G, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S & 5. Did try to switch to android when Samsung S2 was launched, but sold the phone within a week and switched back to Iphone. This is the first time i loved the Android experience. The UI is almost same as Iphone and did not have any problem getting used to it.

Would definitely recommend this phone to all those people who have been using Iphone. One of the best phones i have used.

Again a special thanks to KLUB CLASS
Old 9th October 2014, 00:04   #19350
Senior - BHPian

very silly sort of OT question:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-PU-...r=480361242961 is my cover. Its nice except its gotten a bit dirty due to usage, on the inside. What liquids can I use to clan it up?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks