Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 20:33   #11791
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Hmm, I can try if you can bring it to me. Done that process before with Defy. I will be in Bangalore (HRBR area) after Oct 16th.
Perfect! But I wont be around then

Could you PM me your number - will ring you when am back and if you're around.
Old 8th October 2012, 23:50   #11792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Hello

Two questions:

[] Have you found any appreciable savings on GEB? During my search for the best possible price for Defy+, all said and done no one could beat the Flipkart price.

[] The third part warranty thing - How credible is the warranty provider? Have any of your acquaintances/family had an occasion to depend on warranty from this warranty provider? If so, what has been their experience?
I'm a bit confused here. WHY would you want to buy the Defy+ from GEB? It is a mobile phone very much available in India, so buy from any reputed dealer online or offline. Here's a listing
http://www.mysmartprice.com/mobile/m...y-plus-msp1463

GEB is ONLY for goods that are not officially available in India and/or that sell only in USA.
Old 8th October 2012, 23:56   #11793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I'm a bit confused here. WHY would you want to buy the Defy+ from GEB? It is a mobile phone very much available in India,
GEB is ONLY for goods that are not officially available in India and/or that sell only in USA.
Yes I am aware of mysmartprice.

Only thing I needed your take on was - for stuff available here, is GEB a good option, as the prices I saw on GEB were higher than Indian prices. You have answered my question, thanks.

Regarding stuff not available here , if one does use GEB how reliable is the 3rd party warranty assurance? Do you have any experience of this?
Old 8th October 2012, 23:58   #11794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I have read about the stock volume being low on the Nex. Have you tried any of the mods listed at XDA? Like this one - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?t=1748803?
I would need to root the phone and me being a novice and this being a new phone, i wouldnt want to do something and brick it and then break my head with the same brick
Old 9th October 2012, 01:20   #11795
BHPian

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a mid-range android device and was kinda moving towards the Xperia models such as U, Go etc.
However, thats when i found that Motorola Atrix 2 seems to be an excellent alternative that just about fits within the upper end of my budget(flipkart says 19k, which is around 3k dearer than U).

The larger screen size,better RAM and possible JB update makes it quite tempting despite all the negativity around Motorola India these days.
Does Motorola have a (decent) service network in Bangalore?

A question for the Atrix 2 owners : Which colour to go for if i indeed go with Moto?

Last edited by athul_S : 9th October 2012 at 01:21. Reason: Typos
Old 9th October 2012, 05:35   #11796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Am gonna hit this up one more time here.

Is there ANYONE in bangalore who'll help me upgrade my moto defy by rooting it and slapping on the latest android OS on it?

Am stuck on eclair and tried rooting it and now the primary microphone doesnt work.
Sirjee,

You need to be specific wrt what you did, what error you got, where it got stuck etc.

http://freerider.in/drupal/General/Motorola-Defy-Tips was my journey. You can replicate the steps. Lots and lots of us have done the same. Tell us where u get stuck!
Old 9th October 2012, 06:03   #11797
BHPian

I am using Samsung Galaxy Gio. I have rooted my phone successfully. All I have to do now is installing Clockwork Mod and then Cyanigenmod 10. I preffered this ROM over Cyanogenmod 9.1 So is there anyone who could just mention the steps point wise needed to install Clockwork Mod and Cyanogenmod? Currently I am on stock ROM. Hope to hear soon.
Old 9th October 2012, 06:57   #11798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Sachin, why not the Galaxy Nexus? $350+taxes, shipping from Play store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Got my nexus from amazon. Paid total 414 dollars as i asked for next day delivery to my cousin. Without the urgent delivery it will come to 400 dollars. Google says 350 dollars but that's without the extra taxes and stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Ask your friend to order Galaxy Nexus from Google Play Store. Comes to around $388 including taxes and 2-day shipping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
You can find HTC One X in that range on both eBay and Amazon. Smashing phone for the price.
Thank you all for your feedback. My friend will be returning sometime in December, so will have to wait till then.

Does the Nexus come with ICS or Jelly Bean? I really don't care about most of the bells and whistles. I want the phone to
-Make calls. Voice clarity is important. Sick of my BB's signal reception issues.
-Surf web
-GPS navigation
-A decent camera with flash.
Old 9th October 2012, 07:04   #11799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Thank you all for your feedback. My friend will be returning sometime in December, so will have to wait till then.
If that's the case, wait for the new Nexus device. It's supposed to be launched by this month end and will come with Android 4.2. Expected launch price is $399 + taxes and shipping.

Quote:
Does the Nexus come with ICS or Jelly Bean? I really don't care about most of the bells and whistles. I want the phone to
-Make calls. Voice clarity is important. Sick of my BB's signal reception issues.
-Surf web
-GPS navigation
-A decent camera with flash.
Galaxy Nexus comes with Jellybean preloaded. Your requirements are pretty basic and most mid to high-end phones would match it.
Old 9th October 2012, 09:05   #11800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
If that's the case, wait for the new Nexus device. It's supposed to be launched by this month end and will come with Android 4.2. Expected launch price is $399 + taxes and shipping.
There are conflicting reports on the new Android version, some say it would be 4.2 while most others call it a rumor.

Nexus 2 is supposedly launching with Android 5.0 (Key Lime Pie) and will be manufactured by a host of device manufacturers like LG, HTC, Samsung and maybe Sony.

Surprised why Google owned Motorola ain't on that list!
Old 9th October 2012, 10:06   #11801
BHPian

I am gonna buy my first Android. Yes you heard it right, first android. I have shortlisted 2 phones under 10K.

My requirements in the phone are social media, decent music, a normal cam to stalk stickered cars, not a gamer but few time pass games needed, space for android apps (inbuilt memory preferable), google maps (a must).

Have shortlisted Samsung Galaxy Chat B5330 and Sony Xperia tipo. I am inclined towards Samsung because of QWERTY key pad, slightly better processor(?), sleeker that Tipo, more inbuilt memory, looks and of course less price.

What is better UI? - TouchWiz UX Timescape?

Please let me know what you think. Will pick one up this weekend.
Old 9th October 2012, 10:58   #11802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athul_S View Post
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a mid-range android device and was kinda moving towards the Xperia models such as U, Go etc.
However, thats when i found that Motorola Atrix 2 seems to be an excellent alternative that just about fits within the upper end of my budget(flipkart says 19k, which is around 3k dearer than U).

The larger screen size,better RAM and possible JB update makes it quite tempting despite all the negativity around Motorola India these days.
Does Motorola have a (decent) service network in Bangalore?

A question for the Atrix 2 owners : Which colour to go for if i indeed go with Moto?
When I picked mine, I was inclined towards the white one since we had a couple of black ones in my office (the "identity" issue) Then I went to see it in person and didn't like as much as I saw it in picture. Went for black instead at the end and picked from eBay at 19.9K. Flipkart sells it at an excellent price of 19.2K now. Go get it
Old 9th October 2012, 11:28   #11803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
I am gonna buy my first Android. Yes you heard it right, first android. I have shortlisted 2 phones under 10K.

IMHO, these low spec entry level Android phones would not provide the user a satisfactory experience.

Check out Huawei Ideos X5. It offers much better specs at entry level price. Available on flipkart at less than 9k.

You could also check out Micromax and Karbonn. They also have some good models in 9-10k price range.

Rohan
Old 9th October 2012, 14:10   #11804
BHPian

I need help with the Exchange Mail on my S3. My company enforces security policy so when I set up my office mail through the stock email app, I need to use a numeric pin on the phone. Touchdown is the only app that allows me to access everything on the phone without a Pin, except when using the work mail; I still need to use the PIN. Is there any other free Microsoft Active Sync App that allows this?
Old 9th October 2012, 15:10   #11805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post

My requirements in the phone are social media, decent music, a normal cam to stalk stickered cars, not a gamer but few time pass games needed, space for android apps (inbuilt memory preferable), google maps (a must).

Have shortlisted Samsung Galaxy Chat B5330 and Sony Xperia tipo. I am inclined towards Samsung because of QWERTY key pad, slightly better processor(?), sleeker that Tipo, more inbuilt memory, looks and of course less price.

What is better UI? - TouchWiz UX Timescape?

wildfire S was available on HS18 for under 9k. SUPER deal I say. even tipo is available for 8k which is good too

http://superdeals.homeshop18.com/dea...ony-superdeal/

slightly small screen else good phones.

EDIT: micromax a100. awesome at the price man.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks