Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2014, 08:48   #19276
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Issue is with stock Touchwiz of Samsung. Try installing AOSP ROM! Or just debloat your stock ROM!
To stop promoting this nonsense from Samsung, we should all stop buying Samsung phones until they switch to Stock Android or adopt an interface which is made by people with some programming knowledge ( like MIUI used by Xiaomi ).

The likes of Android one ( Micromax, Spice, Karbonn ), Redmi 1s, Moto E gives fantastic performance compared to the Samsung phones costing 3 to 8 times its cost due to this single reason!

Check out this video comparing the performance of Moto E ( 6,999 INR ) and Samsung Galaxy S5 ( 35,000 ) -

Last edited by amalji : 29th September 2014 at 08:52. Reason: added a link
Old 29th September 2014, 09:05   #19277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post

Well Motorla didn't exit from our market only, rather it exited from all over the world due to heavy losses. So they can't be blamed as careless particularly about us.

About reliability, almost all the phones are good to serve for a year two. But Motorola are cheapest amongst known branded phones. Then biggest advantage you are overlooking is pure Android and guaranteed Android updates for quite sometimes atleast. No need to fiddle with custom ROMs which mostly result into one or two non working things in the phone.

If you want to take chances with Chinese phones then its different matter.

Xiaomi are not offering Mi3 right now and its not clear when Mi4 will arrive. One plus is another brand worth to consider but I am not aware about their development in India. Then Oppo, Huwai etc which can be considered, there are lot of choices.

But IMO Android-One will be better and safer choice compared to above here, low price, no regenerate if phone turns out a wrong choice or lost out or wrecks.

HTC have also introduced some good phones recently under 20K segment, you can look at them as well.

But all of these are Androids basically. If you really want to try out something different then why not take chances with Jolla which runs on Sailfish OS. Don't worry, it supports Android apps : http://www.snapdeal.com/offers/jolla

Hello. I need your inputs reg selection of an Android phone.
Presently, I have Moto G(I Gen) and am fully satisfied with its quality in all respects. Now,I need to buy another Motorola phone for my wife.It is for basic use like browsing,calls,text etc. I thought Moto E should be fine.
Alternative plan is to give my Moto G to her and buy Moto G(2nd Gen), which has a bigger screen,provision for extra storage(unlike Moto G) as I have plenty of Music etc.
I want to restrict my choice to Motorola phone as I am already using it.
Thanks

Last edited by virgopal : 29th September 2014 at 09:06. Reason: Added word
Old 29th September 2014, 09:22   #19278
BHPian

^ IMO, second plan makes more sense. Moto G(2nd Gen) is a treat at that price point. Go for it.
Old 29th September 2014, 09:27   #19279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
Hello. I need your inputs reg selection of an Android phone.
Presently, I have Moto G(I Gen) and am fully satisfied with its quality in all respects. Now,I need to buy another Motorola phone for my wife.It is for basic use like browsing,calls,text etc. I thought Moto E should be fine.
Alternative plan is to give my Moto G to her and buy Moto G(2nd Gen), which has a bigger screen,provision for extra storage(unlike Moto G) as I have plenty of Music etc.
I want to restrict my choice to Motorola phone as I am already using it.
Thanks
I just wanted to share my inputs on this.

Among the choice, that you have listed, buying Moto E seems to be the best option provided
  • Your wife is not going to use the phone for video conferencing
  • She is not going to fill the phone with apps because the Moto E's internal memory is less.
The reason why I'm against the second gen moto G are
  • It's difficult to hold. The first gen had the perfect size and ergonomics. The old gen was designed with lot of inputs from Google, and that was the reason why it had the "G" tag. And it showed everywhere in that phone. I don't see the same attention to detail in the second gen Moto G. It's like Maruti's job of fitting the same dash design of a Kizashi on to the Swift making it an ergonomic failure ( while it is good aesthetically ).
  • Display is crisper on the old gen thanks to the higher PPI. The old Moto G has a PPI in the range of 325 which is very close to the benchmark 350 ppi ( which is the maximum your eyes can detect from normal viewing distance ). This makes the old gen phone look more premium and easy on the eyes.
But, if you are ok with trying out other brands, Redmi 1s is a fantastic buy. My sister in law in China has been using this for close to an year and it has stayed sturdy and gives the same performance even now ( 'unlike' Samsung touchwiz and 'like' Motorola and stock android )
Old 29th September 2014, 09:29   #19280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Maybe not the right forum, but still posting here.

Got the new Moto G for my mom. She is using a CellOne postpaid connection. Approached my local cell phone shop guy to cut the sim n make it a micro sim. But he says that CellOne sims might not work properly after cutting as their yellow-brass area is big compared to other sims. He didn't have any problems cutting my Airtel sim when I changed my phone.

Is he right?? Anyone else on the forum faced similar issues with their CellOne sims??
The regular SIM can be cut to nano SIM even if the some portion of the metal(yellow/gold) has to be cut off. The chip resides in the middle of the SIM and the extras are just connecting point.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2012/09...-for-iphone-5/
Old 29th September 2014, 09:39   #19281
BHPian

Quote:
I need to buy another Motorola phone for my wife.It is for basic use like browsing,calls,text etc. I thought Moto E should be fine.
Why not to think about Moto X for you?
Thats the hot thing in the smartphone world right now with innovative and useful features which no other smartphone offers. If you have budget constraint then you can think about the previous gen Moto X which is available at discounted price till the stock lasts. And if you get serious about the 2nd gen MotoX then I would say wait till the 32 GB version is made available because it doesn't have support for memory card. Though 1st gen models supports memory card AFAIK.

Otherwise you always have a Moto G II as a safe option.

Moto E doesn't have front camera which is the only drawback of this otherwise perfect phone. When both of you gonna have smartphones then its better to have phone having front camera so that both of you can enjoy video calls on Hangouts with each other. Believe me its a wonderful feature and getting popular these days.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 29th September 2014 at 09:42.
Old 29th September 2014, 10:23   #19282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Guys,

Need some help from the experts.
My "Not-so-Smart" phone, a Samsung Galaxy Grand is running slower by the day. I have installed "Clean Master" and clean it twice a day at least. Whenever I clean it the message says "150MB of RAM released" but the speed does not improve and a few minutes later the icon again shows 90% of RAM in use. I have also trued DU Battery and Speed Booster but still no luck. Sometimes I get a message saying the McAfee is slowing down the phone by 30% and causing the phone to heat up. Tried uninstalling McAfee today and the phone got locked. Had to send a mail to McAfee and get a password to unlock the phone.
I do not have any videos stored on the phone. Only a few pics - maybe 20. No games. Used only for calls, SMS, What's App, Hike (rarely) and reading GMail. Still when I try to find a contact it takes ages to load the contacts page. Same thing when trying to make a call.
I have started calling it a "Stupid" phone now. Ready to chuck it in the bin!! Never had any of these issues with my old Nokia's.

Would appreciate any advice.

Regards,
SS
Install CM11 or any AOSP ROM's and be happy In fact, everyone other than Samsung Note users should get rid of Touchwiz in my opinion. Note users are stuck with Touchwiz unless they don't want S-Pen functionalities. My wife's S4 had the same troubles of overheating and slowness. Now on CM 11 for the past 4-5 months and everything's butter smooth and looks are miles ahead of Touchwiz !
Old 29th September 2014, 12:18   #19283
Senior - BHPian

My Lenovo A 526 somehow takes forever to charge at home.

Yet in office, within 2 hours (from 10%-15% charge level), the phone is completely charged.

What could be the reason for this?

Some observations seen while charging at home:
  • Phone gets very hot while charging(not so when charging in office)
  • It charges only 4-5% increments every hour. So, effectively, in 5 hours of charge, from 15% level, I could only charge it till 40%. In office, if charges completely in max 2.5 hours.
Old 29th September 2014, 12:33   #19284
BHPian

Quote:
Thats the hot thing in the smartphone world right now with innovative and useful features which no other smartphone offers. If you have budget constraint then you can think about the previous gen Moto X which is available at discounted price till the stock lasts. And if you get serious about the 2nd gen MotoX then I would say wait till the 32 GB version is made available because it doesn't have support for memory card. Though 1st gen models supports memory card AFAIK.

Otherwise you always have a Moto G II as a safe option.

Moto E doesn't have front camera which is the only drawback of this otherwise perfect phone. When both of you gonna have smartphones then its better to have phone having front camera so that both of you can enjoy video calls on Hangouts with each other. Believe me its a wonderful feature and getting popular these days.
Finally,decided to buy Moto E due to its quality, features and economy.
I will continue using Moto G .
Thanks tbppjpr and amalji for your valuable suggestions which helped me to take decision.
TBHP is one great community
I have already placed order for Moto E and a Flipcover(Case Mate)
Old 29th September 2014, 14:20   #19285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats the hot thing in the smartphone world right now with innovative and useful features which no other smartphone offers. If you have budget constraint then you can think about the previous gen Moto X which is available at discounted price till the stock lasts.
I agree with the point that Moto X ( old gen ) is one of the best designed phones ever! It's easy to hold, uses the advantages of an amoled display in the best manner, and even the cpu/gpu cores are designed with so much of thought.
And yeah, I've gifted this to my mom. She enjoys it ( compared to her old iphone 4s, this is bliss. )

This is a good video which nicely projects the advantages of this phone. -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
In fact, everyone other than Samsung Note users should get rid of Touchwiz in my opinion.
+1 to this. Samsung's rigidity with touchwiz is hitting them hardly now. Their sales and profit are down. Once upon a time, touchwiz had a relevance ( when android was half baked ). But, these days, the stock android is undoubtedly the best UI ( both in terms of performance and usability ).

Quote:
Finally,decided to buy Moto E due to its quality, features and economy.
I will continue using Moto G .
(Case Mate)
Both are great phones. You won't regret the decision.
Old 29th September 2014, 15:24   #19286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
My Lenovo A 526 somehow takes forever to charge at home.
..Phone gets very hot while charging(not so when charging in office)
..It charges only 4-5% increments every hour. So, effectively, in 5 hours of charge, from 15% level, I could only charge it till 40%. In office, if charges completely in max 2.5 hours.
Check the Ampere ratings of both the charging units (assuming you are using different chargers at home & office.)

If you are using USB port to charge - try to switch to Power plug.

My Micromax A110 takes
4-5 hours to charge on my office charger /old charger of another phone (0.6A)
Vs
~2hours with home charger /default (1A)

Ace.
Old 29th September 2014, 15:34   #19287
Senior - BHPian

I am really interested in Moto X but the battery capacity is a bummer considering the screen size and resolution. 2300 mAh just isnt enough.
Old 29th September 2014, 17:48   #19288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Check the Ampere ratings of both the charging units (assuming you are using different chargers at home & office.)

If you are using USB port to charge - try to switch to Power plug.

My Micromax A110 takes
4-5 hours to charge on my office charger /old charger of another phone (0.6A)
Vs
~2hours with home charger /default (1A)

Ace.
Dear Ace

I have two phones- Samsung Galaxy Grand and Lenovo A 526.

Both have amp ratings of Output- 5V /1 Amp.

Somehow just cannot understand why the Lenovo is taking such a long time charging at home where as the output is the same in both chargers.

Is it something with my home electricity supply?
Old 29th September 2014, 18:07   #19289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
I have two phones- Samsung Galaxy Grand and Lenovo A 526.
Both have amp ratings of Output- 5V /1 Amp.

Is it something with my home electricity supply?
So, have you already tried using same charger at home (that you use in the office) & vice versa?

Another small thing I had noticed:
When my phone gets lower than required current through charger, it starts acting up, while on charging. i.e. Touch screen acts weird.

anything similar @ your home charging case?

Is earthing at your home checked lately?

Ace.

P.S. Try using a newer USB-charging-port cable today.

Last edited by driverace : 29th September 2014 at 18:12.
Old 29th September 2014, 18:23   #19290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
So, have you already tried using same charger at home (that you use in the office) & vice versa?

Another small thing I had noticed:
When my phone gets lower than required current through charger, it starts acting up, while on charging. i.e. Touch screen acts weird.

anything similar @ your home charging case?

Is earthing at your home checked lately?

Ace.

P.S. Try using a newer USB-charging-port cable today.
@Ace

I have tried using all the chargers available at home ratng 1 Amp- Samsung, Lenovo and Xolo.

Result is the same.

Would check the earthing as suggested. I do have major appliances like AC which draws electricity correctly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks