Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2018, 09:54   #28171
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I'm thinking of upgrading from mi phones to pixel 2xl in the ongoing price cut offer on flipkart. I'm regretting missing out on the BBD and Diwali sale offers on pixel.

The current price of 41k seems tempting but is there a possibility that it will go down further. On the other hand, there is a possibility that the prices may not really go down any further, just is the case with pixel 2, currently @70k on flipkart. Its a gamble and I'm really perplexed as to which hand should I play. Any suggestions, insights would be really helpful!
Old 19th November 2018, 10:26   #28172
Senior - BHPian

Booked the Nokia 6.1 plus finally on flipkart for 14999

Having missed the Diwali sale by a whisker I wasn't ready to wait till next sale which I guess would be around Christmas/New year? So the prices were back at 15999/- . But today morning suddenly it showed 14999/- again. That was the price during Diwali sale, so without further ado booked one for myself. Didn't go for exchanging the onePlus X as cashify/instacash seem to offer better price. Will keep this as a backup fone till am sure the Nokia is good enough for the task

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Yes, I have been using it for 1.5 days now and I am absolutely loving it...

If you have any questions, let me know. I think this is the phone to buy in 15K range and install the Google Camera which means you have an amazing device at such a low price. I am not sure if my Pixel comes back after repair, will I be using this one or the Pixel as the daily driver
Thanks for the quick review. A couple of questions :

Are you noticing and heating issues after maybe continuous browsing or video playback?

I believe this one doesn't support turbo charging, so whats the usual charge time from say 15-20% to 100%?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hi everybody,
Just come for some advice as usual. My mom is upgrading from her 3-year-old Moto G3. She wants a new phone <=15k INR.

Basic requirements:
1. 3.5 mm jack
2. Turbocharging
3. 64GB of storage
4. 4GB of RAM
5. A decent camera
6. Preferably a 5" display
7. Preferably stock android

What are her best options?
Thanks in advance.
You can check out the nokia 6.1 plus. I had this exact same requirement and was zeroing in on Moto X4 but after seeing it personally in CROMA, the build quality seemed not so good. Honestly I haven't personally seen the 6.1plus either but from all the reviews of BHPians and online looks like it has a good build quality. Display size in 5.8" but its notch display so the physical dimensions of the fone is pretty similar to my current 5" phone (oneplus X).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
I'm thinking of upgrading from mi phones to pixel 2xl in the ongoing price cut offer on flipkart. I'm regretting missing out on the BBD and Diwali sale offers on pixel.
Was in same spot, missed the Diwali sale by a day but today I see the price is equivalent to what I saw during Diwali sale. Not sure of pixel 2 XL though, but should be similar.

Last edited by SoumenD : 19th November 2018 at 10:36.
Old 19th November 2018, 15:29   #28173
BHPian

I am a Oneplus 6 user and I have been receiving notifications regarding Android Pie update for the last few months. However I always dismissed this notifications since my phone is working perfectly now and also because this is a major update, I was doubtful about bugs and performance issue. However last day, the update file was automatically downloaded by the phone. I am now doubtful whether I should delete this file or update the phone. I am not very interested in new interfaces and design elements of Pie and performance and battery backup are my primary concern. Can any OP6 users who updated to Pie give inputs about how the phone is performing after the update?
Old 19th November 2018, 16:49   #28174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep4u View Post
Can any OP6 users who updated to Pie give inputs about how the phone is performing after the update?
It is performing absolutely fine without any kind of hiccups at all. I was initially hesitant about downloading the update, but once I did so, I was not disappointed at all.

The phone continues to offer blazing fast and completely lag- free performance in all aspects, just like it was doing before the update appeared.
Old 20th November 2018, 14:06   #28175
Team-BHP Support

My Pixel 2 XL is not getting charged with its original charger; it works when I use the charger of wife's Note 8 but quite slow in charging. Should I get a new Pixel charger or any 3rd party cable is recommended?
Old 20th November 2018, 15:21   #28176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
My Pixel 2 XL is not getting charged with its original charger; it works when I use the charger of wife's Note 8 but quite slow in charging. Should I get a new Pixel charger or any 3rd party cable is recommended?
The Pixels use the USB PD standard for fast charging, which is why using the Samsung fast charger(based on Qualcomm QC 2.0) didn’t give you the required speed. I don’t think QC 3.0+ chargers will be much faster either. You will need to get a charger which adheres to the USB PD standard to get the full speed.
Old 20th November 2018, 18:10   #28177
Senior - BHPian

Over last couple of days, both Wear OS and Android Pay (Tez) app have both been updated, and I see that we are that much closer to having native support for contactless payments. Now my watch can retrieve the credit card stored in my Google account (earlier it was totally no go). Fingers crossed!
Old 20th November 2018, 18:29   #28178
Senior - BHPian

Guys any idea how i can get original OnePlus 3 battery replacement ?
Old 20th November 2018, 18:42   #28179
BHPian

Guys, my mom's phone has only 16GB storage and she's an avid WhatsApp user. Needless to say, the storage gets full very often. I have showed her how to delete the videos manually or move them to the SD card, but she keeps forgetting it.

Are you aware of any app or automation using which WhatsApp videos older than a pre-set limit (say 30 days) can be moved automatically to the SD card? Something like a scheduled cleanup. There's plenty of space on the SD card but useless because WhatsApp insists on being installed on internal storage only.

If there's no other option I might end up buying a 64 GB phone for her but would like to avoid the unnecessary expense if possible.
Old 20th November 2018, 19:07   #28180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
Guys, my mom's phone has only 16GB storage and she's an avid WhatsApp user.
It would help greatly if you (and others who seek advice) could let us know the brand and model of cellphone is being referred to. Not all Android phones are equal.

For instance, Samsung phones (to quote one example) allow you to move WhatsApp to the microSD card, so that the internal storage doesn't get choked by WhatsApp. They also have built-in tools (Storage Booster) to scan and free up space.

Also, install Files by Google, to automatically scan and clean up space on the phone. It is built using "Google smarts" to detect memes/forwards, and delete them.

Last edited by arunphilip : 20th November 2018 at 19:08.
Old 20th November 2018, 19:20   #28181
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
The Pixels use the USB PD standard for fast charging, which is why using the Samsung fast charger(based on Qualcomm QC 2.0) didn’t give you the required speed. I don’t think QC 3.0+ chargers will be much faster either. You will need to get a charger which adheres to the USB PD standard to get the full speed.
Thank you! Any specific brand to recommend? Or just ask for USB PD standard?
Old 20th November 2018, 19:49   #28182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Over last couple of days, both Wear OS and Android Pay (Tez) app have both been updated, and I see that we are that much closer to having native support for contactless payments. Now my watch can retrieve the credit card stored in my Google account (earlier it was totally no go). Fingers crossed!
May I know which wear OS watch are you using ? My Fitbit surge is almost an year and a half old now and looking at Wear OS options. But none of the reviews are confidence boosting. I would definitely want to use it for fitness tracking features. Apple watch is not an option anyway.
Old 20th November 2018, 20:07   #28183
BHPian

Quote:
Are you aware of any app or automation using which WhatsApp videos older than a pre-set limit (say 30 days) can be moved automatically to the SD card?
If there's no other option I might end up buying a 64 GB phone for her but would like to avoid the unnecessary expense if possible.
The problem with moving videos from phone to SD card is they can't be opened from WhatsApp anymore.
Are most WhatsApp videos worth saving?
Old 21st November 2018, 08:19   #28184
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, my mom's phone has only 16GB storage and she's an avid WhatsApp user. Needless to say, the storage gets full very often. I have showed her how to delete the videos manually or move them to the SD card, but she keeps forgetting it.

Are you aware of any app or automation using which WhatsApp videos older than a pre-set limit (say 30 days) can be moved automatically to the SD card? Something like a scheduled cleanup. There's plenty of space on the SD card but useless because WhatsApp insists on being installed on internal storage only.
Well, there is an automation app for Android called Tasker. I used to use it a lot some years ago when my phone was rooted, but it's a bit complicated to set it up and set the automation scripts and stuff.

A far easier option is to set up your SD card as adoptable storage. Its a feature that was introduced with android 6.0, but not all phones support it out of the box. Go to your storage settings and see if you can set up your SD card as adoptable storage. It will make that as your internal storage, so you won't have to bother moving the WhatsApp data around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thank you! Any specific brand to recommend? Or just ask for USB PD standard?
Being a Pixel, a few brands should be making stuff for them. Check the big brands like Aukey, Anker and the like. Check for USB PD standard.
Old 21st November 2018, 09:26   #28185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
May I know which wear OS watch are you using ?
I use an LG Watch Sport. It is a fitness tracker with heartbeat monitor.

https://www.lg.com/us/smart-watches/lg-W280A-sport

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks