Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2018, 15:30   #28126
BHPian

Re: Call Recorder App?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Right now, have installed 'call recorder' app from 'Top Droid' team and it does NOT record the other party's voice
From what I understand, that is by design! Some legal hassles between various parties and google would rather play it safe. I guess you'll have to root the device - that should solve the issues!
Old 12th November 2018, 15:34   #28127
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingmachine View Post
How can one watch YouTube (only audio) on Android mobile after locking the screen?
Use Newpipe, its an open source app for playing youtube videos. It allows background play as well.
Old 12th November 2018, 15:50   #28128
BHPian

Quote:
How can one watch YouTube (only audio) on Android mobile after locking the screen?
The option is available in YouTube's premium service, also known as YouTube Red, but it is not yet available in India. The regular YouTube app does not allow background playback.

For now, you can try an alternate third-party YouTube client such as NewPipe (open-source) or YouTube Vanced, from XDA Developers. Both of these apps allow background playback and are also ad-free. You might not be able to sign-in with your Google Account if you use NewPipe.
Old 12th November 2018, 16:31   #28129
Senior - BHPian

A quick update on my First gen Pixel -
I had sent it to Google service for repair as my battery was draining rapidly. I expected 3K or so for battery replacement. Google has replied me with diagnosis and quotation. It seems the motherboard needs to be replaced along with the battery and will cost me a whooping 25K. Sounds like some sort of a joke. So, the flagship phone from Google did not even last 1.5 years and now needs another 25K to function.
Anyways, I have asked them to return it without repair. Will use it just as a camera or a spare device. And given the experience with Google, I will think really long and hard before buying a Google Phone again.
Old 12th November 2018, 17:53   #28130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Thanks for your comments!

I finally went for a Pocofone F1 128 GB on Flipkart sale @20k. I didn't exchange the OP3, even though it was being quoted at around 9700 by FK. Rather kept OP3 in the family, as i feel its an iconic device and one of the best OnePlus' phones to ever come out (along with OP3T).

Talking about Poco F1, i feel its a decent upggrade in terms of rear camera quality, dual VoLTE support, a higher internal storage (64 GB of OP3 vs 128 GB) and a very good face unlocker which works even in the dark.

On the negative side, even thouth Poco F1 supports fast charging, its no where as quick as the OP3 Dash charging. However it is compensated to some amount by having a bigger battery (4000mah) which lasts well over 1.5 days.
Poco F1 is an excellent phone for the price. The usual drawbacks mentioned (plastic build, big notch and chin) don't really matter once you start using it. If you use a back cover (you should on a 20+K phone), there is no difference really between plastic and metal/glass build and plastic is actually less prone to get damaged.

Yes, quick charge 3 is a bit slower than dash charging but keep in mind that you are charging a much bigger battery (4000mah) against a 2 year old OP3 (which may have like 2200mah or so capacity left). Poco battery life is amazing (you just cant kill the damn thing) and trust me once you get used to the battery life, you wont be able to go back to lesser devices.

IR face unlock is also a nice feature (though I don't use face unlock much).

For me the only negative for Poco is the lack of OIS in the camera (compared to OP3 which did have OIS). It may not be a big deal unless it bothers you.

Last edited by ar@v1nd : 12th November 2018 at 17:54. Reason: Removed one accidental quote
Old 12th November 2018, 19:23   #28131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
For me the only negative for Poco is the lack of OIS in the camera (compared to OP3 which did have OIS). It may not be a big deal unless it bothers you.
GCam with night sight is available for POCO now. The impact of lack of OIS is mostly felt during low light photography, for me. I don't take a lot of videos.
This camera (more than) mitigates this issue.
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603844928
Old 12th November 2018, 19:55   #28132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
GCam with night sight is available for POCO now. The impact of lack of OIS is mostly felt during low light photography, for me. I don't take a lot of videos.
This camera (more than) mitigates this issue.
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603844928
Hi atnyia, can you guide me how to install and use the GCam on poco F1 ? Do i only need to install this APK file, or some other steps are required ?
Old 12th November 2018, 20:01   #28133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Hi atnyia, can you guide me how to install and use the GCam on poco F1 ? Do i only need to install this APK file, or some other steps are required ?
Camera2api is enabled by default in POCO stock version. So, just install the apk file and enjoy this 'invention'.
Old 12th November 2018, 23:39   #28134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Youtube Vanced does it, I just checked. But (at least, the version that I have) it is a Magisk module, so into rooting territory
Old 13th November 2018, 08:37   #28135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
It seems the motherboard needs to be replaced along with the battery and will cost me a whooping 25K.
My brother had the same issue. He happily declined it and bought a Samsung S9.
Old 13th November 2018, 08:51   #28136
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had sent it to Google service for repair as my battery was draining rapidly. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
My brother had the same issue. He happily declined it and bought a Samsung S9.
How does draining battery life align with motherboard replacement? That just doesn't make sense. It's like saying I need to change the engine of my car as FE has gone down recently
Old 13th November 2018, 15:23   #28137
BHPian

I bought a MiA2 4GB/64GB and am really disappointed with this phone's performance. The stock android doesn't seem to be optimized and there are slight stutters while navigating. Last couple of updates were not really focused towards bug fixing and were just security patches. Battery has not been optimized with google play services causing havoc. I end up charging my device by 3 pm (@ 25%) with the day starting at 7 am. I happened to have a QC3 charger otherwise this is beyond usable, especially for a stock android device. Xiaomi has done a really shoddy job here to an otherwise great phone on paper.

A beta pie build was released and then pulled off last week. I managed to side load the build but unfortunately its half-baked for a beta. The only saving grace for this phone is the camera which churns out really good images. I'm not an expert here but the camera output is really great for this price point.

I really wanted to 'not' root it but without custom kernel and magisk modules, the device under performs. Devices with 625 chip run better than this one despite a 660 chipset. The dev community is very limited and relegated to a few non-serious developers.

I don't have the time and patience to keep tweaking with the phone to make it work at its optimum. Maybe its best to go with flagships, where stock, even if not perfect, works much better. They also have better community support, mostly global, if custom roms are a preference. In the current crop of phones, I'm really looking towards OP6T, more because of the price point than anything else. Pixels seem overpriced and its more to do with import duty than actual features.

Last edited by lordvader : 13th November 2018 at 15:42.
Old 13th November 2018, 16:06   #28138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
How does draining battery life align with motherboard replacement? That just doesn't make sense. It's like saying I need to change the engine of my car as FE has gone down recently
I am unable to understand that as well.
Seems like the third party service center used by Google is doing something fishy. I sent a stinker to Google support and I got a reply saying there is liquid damage on the device

I don't know what to say, the device has been used with utmost care and no liquid was every spilled on the device. And why would liquid damage cause only the battery to drain faster whereas the phone works absolutely flawlessly?
Old 13th November 2018, 16:42   #28139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A quick update on my First gen Pixel -
I had sent it to Google service for repair as my battery was draining rapidly. I expected 3K or so for battery replacement. Google has replied me with diagnosis and quotation. It seems the motherboard needs to be replaced along with the battery and will cost me a whooping 25K. Sounds like some sort of a joke. So, the flagship phone from Google did not even last 1.5 years and now needs another 25K to function.
Anyways, I have asked them to return it without repair. Will use it just as a camera or a spare device. And given the experience with Google, I will think really long and hard before buying a Google Phone again.
Had the same issue with Nexus 6P; battery running out of power. And fixing it was a pain with the service center personnel saying it was not worth it.

The reason why I did not go ahead with a Pixel purchase, even though I was looking forward to it.
Old 13th November 2018, 17:59   #28140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... I got a reply saying there is liquid damage on the device ...
I have been reading of service centres claiming liquid damage on a number of occasions over the years. Sometimes it must be simply a con to escape warranty or to justify some expensive part replacement, but, could it be something else?

Recently, I was watching a tear-down video of some device, and the presenter pointed out moisture-sensitive detectors. This made me wonder if they are really reliable. Could they be activated, for example, by high humidity or condensation? The climate of many parts of this country is bad enough, pockets close to sweat-laden skin must be very humid indeed.

A lot of people who are very sure that their phone has never been touched by even a drop of water seem to suffer from such claims. Could this technology be the reason?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks