Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2018, 16:08   #28276
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I don't know, what are your recommendations?

Is it really worth the extra dough to spend more on the Pixels? I dont play any games, do a LOT of reading, just some apps here and there, but would really like to up the camera game.
YES, it is. And I say this after using the mid-range phones. I used to be a firm believer of buying phones like redmi note 4, note 3 and then unlocking them to replace OEM software to extract performance. And the entire time I ended up changing roms to get great battery life, stock android and pixel like camera quality.

This year I bought a MI A2, hoping to get stock android experience on a budget device given I have very simple requirements, just like yours. I realized soon that software was poorly optimized leading to standby drains. The irregular and poorly optimized updates were even more frustrating. Camera was definitely an improvement but it still was no match for pixel. I could see myself going down the same path of rooting and enabling camera2api to match those great pics. I really don't have the time and patience now to do those things anymore.

And that's when I decided to go for a pixel 2xl. I haven't regretted that decision since.

The software experience is perfectly optimized on this device. Pixel launcher works so well and is so smooth that I don't see myself moving to a third party launcher. The active edge functionality for accessing google assistant is very convenient. Battery is less than the Xiaomis and Motorolas but with fast charging, its good enough to last 1.5 days. Also, there is 0% overnight standby drain on my phone. I don't use FB and twitter so that's a plus. On-time updates and among the first ones to receive them. Camera is amazing on this thing. I have also installed pixel 3 camera app to get those additional features from pixel 3 - top shot, motion auto focus, etc.

I have for the first time not unlocked and rooted a phone for this long. I just don't feel like doing that because it works fine the way it is. With no more rom-flashing, I can now use the phone in the smart ways that it is supposed to be used for.

Note: With the black theme kindle app, its pretty convenient and battery friendly for reading.

My recommendation would be to go for a pixel 2xl. One plus 6T is an option but I don't think it can match the pixel camera. I wouldn't recommend Poco for the sole reason that it has MIUI.

My experience with MiA2 - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4494368 (Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods)

Last edited by lordvader : 14th December 2018 at 16:33.
Old 14th December 2018, 16:42   #28277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Got the 128 GB/ 6 GB variant for 21.5K during one of the earlier sales.

Yes, me too recommend 128GB if not with tight budget. We had a 1.5 year old SanDisk 64GB Class 10 spare, hence POCO is literally 128GB now We got the 64 GB POCO for Rs. 18499/-.
Old 14th December 2018, 19:43   #28278
Senior - BHPian

Is there any browser app for android which supports dark mode? I found the best dark mode in Samsung Internet browser, but in Dark Mode it gets dim so randomly, that it becomes very hard to read sometimes. I know the accessibility high contrast setting, but that changes the link colors etc.

Is there any setting in Samsung internet browser that disables this random dimming, or any other browser that sports the dark mode? I tried Firefox/FF lite/ Opera/ Opera Lite/ CM browser, but none comes closer to Samsung Internet for dark mode reading.
Old 14th December 2018, 19:47   #28279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
YES, it is.

My recommendation would be to go for a pixel 2xl. One plus 6T is an option but I don't think it can match the pixel camera. I wouldn't recommend Poco for the sole reason that it has MIUI.

[/url]
Thank you. That was a good read. I am really happy with my gen 1 z play, but just the camera is horrific. I travel quite a bit to back of beyond places, and having a good camera is becoming a necessity.

What kind of discounted pricing is the pixel 2xl running at these days at the monster sales?
Old 14th December 2018, 20:06   #28280
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. That was a good read. I am really happy with my gen 1 z play, but just the camera is horrific. I travel quite a bit to back of beyond places, and having a good camera is becoming a necessity.

What kind of discounted pricing is the pixel 2xl running at these days at the monster sales?
2xl is retailing at ~40k on flipkart. I bought it for around that price. Paytm mall had a cashback offer sometime back which brought down the price 35k.

I had zeroed in on pixel 3 and pixel 2xl, pixel 3xl was out because of the notch and lower battery.

You should expect some more sale days in the last week of december. Although with op6t retailing at 35-37k, I think the current price of P2xl is reasonable, given the unit is imported (Made in korea).

Edit: Paytm has it for 37k post 2k cashback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Is there any browser app for android which supports dark mode? I found the best dark mode in Samsung Internet browser, but in Dark Mode it gets dim so randomly, that it becomes very hard to read sometimes. I know the accessibility high contrast setting, but that changes the link colors etc.
Kiwi browser. I haven't used samsung browser so can't really compare

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th December 2018 at 10:13. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 15th December 2018, 12:20   #28281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2xl is retailing at ~40k on flipkart. I bought it for around that price. Paytm mall had a cashback offer sometime back which brought down the price 35k.
Do you have any feedback technically on the nokia 8.1? It really looks very good on the face of it. And its coming at a killer price! Android 1 too. Very close to what i spent on my Moto zplay.

Been hearing good things about the Nokia phones recently.
Old 15th December 2018, 13:26   #28282
BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any feedback technically on the nokia 8.1? It really looks very good on the face of it. And its coming at a killer price! Android 1 too. Very close to what i spent on my Moto zplay.

Been hearing good things about the Nokia phones recently.
Nokia's implementation of android one is much better than that of xiaomi, etc. So you do get timely updates and given that it is the only OS that they have to focus on, things are better optimized.

Nokia 8.1 has a 710 chipset which qualifies it for a mid-range phone. Other than that, it does seem to have all the bells and whistles in place. I haven't used one but I doubt that the camera quality would be at par with that of a pixel. You may want to check out some video reviews of nokia 8.1 before making up your mind.

But for a stock android experience on a mid-range phone, Nokia is the way to go.
Old 15th December 2018, 14:23   #28283
Team-BHP Support

Pixels are very good, price and single sim option is the limiting factor, if that is not a factor, it is the phone to go for.

I tried a friend's Pocophone and found it to be very good, very fluid.
Old 15th December 2018, 17:12   #28284
Senior - BHPian

ONE PLUS 6T OR GOOGLE PIXEL 3 ?

I will be buying a phone for my wife in a month's time or so. She is currently using an iPhone 6s but wants to move to Android as she is 'bored' of the phone and it has started to give a bit of trouble as it isn't maintained that well; we have a 2 year old daughter who has manhandled it many times. Another reason is also the 'unlimited' space that Google offers for media.

Now Ive been reading a lot of reviews comparing both these phones and it seems that the One Plus 6T has the winning edge. But the Google Pixel 3 looks better and has that 'Not Pink' colour which is a hit with my wife. The Pixel 3 is also water resistant! And last but not least the Pixel 3 is priced more than double than the One Plus 6T.

Need expert advice on this please.
Old 15th December 2018, 17:38   #28285
BHPian

Go with One Plus 6T and save some money. It's got good features for the price. Of course, Google Pixel 3 is a good phone, if you don't mind the high price. I have been using One Plus 6 for some time now and really is a good phone.
Old 15th December 2018, 17:39   #28286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I would go with the OnePlus 6T. The OP6T offers a fluid experience if not equal to or better than stock android at a fraction of price of a Pixel 3.

Unless you need the camera to be really good, then OnePlus will be the better choice
Old 15th December 2018, 19:17   #28287
BHPian

Quote:

I will be buying a phone for my wife in a month's time or so. She is currently using an iPhone 6s but wants to move to Android as she is 'bored' of the phone
One plus 6T, if you just want to buy a new android phone with flagship specs at not-a-flagship-killer price

Pixel 3, only if you are a die-hard stock android aficionado

If you can wait for some time, maybe till Apr-May next year, pixel 3 prices should come down to a more reasonable level

Last edited by lordvader : 15th December 2018 at 19:23.
Old 15th December 2018, 19:31   #28288
BHPian

Quote:

I will be buying a phone for my wife in a month's time or so. She is currently using an iPhone 6s but wants to move to Android as she is 'bored' of the phone

OP6t is by far a greater value than Pixel. Only if camera is the biggest decision point, then I'd suggest Pixel - it has by far the best phone cameras in business.
Old 16th December 2018, 18:29   #28289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan T View Post
Go with One Plus 6T and save some money. It's got good features for the price. Of course, Google Pixel 3 is a good phone, if you don't mind the high price. I have been using One Plus 6 for some time now and really is a good phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
I would go with the OnePlus 6T. The OP6T offers a fluid experience if not equal to or better than stock android at a fraction of price of a Pixel 3.

Unless you need the camera to be really good, then OnePlus will be the better choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
OP6t is by far a greater value than Pixel. Only if camera is the biggest decision point, then I'd suggest Pixel - it has by far the best phone cameras in business.
I have been getting the same review online and offline on the One Plus 6T. But yes, this being for my wife, ladies are not usually bothered about the specs. The prime importance given is to the looks & colours. The Google Pixel 3 definitely looks better and also comes in pink which my wife likes.

Quote:
One plus 6T, if you just want to buy a new android phone with flagship specs at not-a-flagship-killer price

Pixel 3, only if you are a die-hard stock android aficionado

If you can wait for some time, maybe till Apr-May next year, pixel 3 prices should come down to a more reasonable level
Well I am not an Android fan. I use a iPhone 7 & a BlackBerry Priv. My wife also uses an iPhone 6s and has never used and Android. The only reason she is moving to an Android phone is because she wants a new experience, wants 'unlimited' space for media and a better camera.

I will actually be buying this phone only in the first week of Feb so I hope the prices are lower by then.
Old 16th December 2018, 19:20   #28290
BHPian

Quote:
Do you have any feedback technically on the nokia 8.1? It really looks very good on the face of it. And its coming at a killer price! Android 1 too.
I am disappointed with the pricing of 8.1, I was hoping to pick up one if it was priced ~20k (hoped for this price considering it was priced ~17.5k INR in China) . At the current price I am not getting it.

Now this 8.1 pricing makes 7.1 look VFM, 7.1 also has pure view display, zeiss optics, glass built. The main difference is in the processor, SD 636 compared to SD 710 in 8.1. This could be a better/cheaper option if performance of SD 636 suffices one's needs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks