Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2018, 16:51   #28261
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
That's what I have noticed too. I don't get rouge SMS now, maybe 1 per week, but that I can deal with. The constant flow of the real estate/health related providers has stopped. So, I am assuming our provider does send a report to the offender's provider who in turn report it to the offender to get an explanation. At this point, they may be removing our numbers from their directory and replying with a standard template which follows the same chain back to us. This is pure speculation but I am just trying to think of reasons for the spam SMSs to stop suddenly after reporting it.
+1 to this

Although I'll probably wait for a few week(s) before I start celebrating the success of the app

For me the sms-es had a consistent recognizable pattern
- a hospital in Pune that I had visited nearly 4-5 years ago - they still spam my email id and now on smses too
- Paytm based credit / instant loan / other offers
- Generic credit card / instant loan offers; I'm guessing this comes from one or more of the aggregators (e.g. Paisabazaar) where my credit history has been shared
- Retail brands based ads where I have purchased in the past (e.g. Satya Paul ties)
- New launches and schemes from Volkswagen (no surprises on that)
- Incredibly, Vodafone based ads for features that I haven't availed off; even though I'm on their DND list since ages

and
- A few Domino, health checkups and real estate ads (limited #) which I believe are generic / rouge

Since the reporting via this app, I haven't received any of the above smes; although I did receive normal sms alerts on my updated credit score with Paisabazaar; which means that the end businesses did indeed receive some update of the complaints and have taken cognizance of it.

So keeping fingers crossed.
Old 10th December 2018, 20:02   #28262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hello BHPians,
What is the major difference between Moto One power and Nokia X6? Mom needs a phone and these are the two we've narrowed it down to.
A good Camera would be welcome
I had the exact same dilemma a few days back and have ordered the Motorola One Power. Both are Android One devices and come with clean and bloatware-free stock android, hence, both devices offer similar (good) performance. Both devices have received the Android Pie update, with the Nokia receiving it a month earlier than the Moto. Both have above-average cameras, but perform much better with the Google Camera APK. Low light performance seems to be marginally better on the Moto.

Here's a list of pros and cons concerning other aspects:

NOKIA 6.1 PLUS:

Pros:
1. Great design and build, looks superb.
2. Compact form factor and relatively lightweight, hence great for single handed use.
3. Nokia's brilliant track record of providing timely software updates and security patches.

Cons:
1. Small capacity (by today's standards) 3060 mAH battery. Though the initial battery life may seem acceptable, it remains to be seen as to how this small battery will hold up over time, say after an year or so.
2. Lack of quick charge. Though Nokia claims QC3.0 support, I've heard reviewers saying that a quick charger makes a difference of hardly a few minutes when used with this device. The charging time is a bit higher considering the battery capacity.
3. Glass-sandwich construction may look and feel great, but it is fragile.
4. There is no dedicated MicroSD slot, but this can be overlooked if 64GB is enough storage for your needs.
5. I've seen many users on XDA Developers complaining about bugs after the Pie update.

MOTOROLA ONE POWER:

Pros:
1. Exceptional battery backup from its huge 5000 mAH battery. 2 days off the charger is easily doable. The Nokia comes nowhere close. Plus, the 15W fast charger bundled inside the box charges the huge battery in about the same time as the Nokia 6.1 Plus.
2. Sturdy metal build, hence no fear of breaking or shattering (like glass). Durable in the long run.
3. Better cameras compared to the Nokia, though not by a big margin. Plus, the device also supports camera2api similar to the Nokia, hence Google Camera APK will work.
4. Runs the latest Android version, which is great considering that Motorola's update track record hasn't been all that great.
5. Has a dedicated MicroSD slot (if that matters to you).

Cons:
1. Sober design, looks like just another iPhone X copy. The Nokia looks much better.
2. Heavy at 205gms and a bit bulky, but I'd happily accept that considering the large battery inside.
3. Excessively wide notch considering that there's no additional hardware inside it. Could have been narrower.
4. Lack of trust factor regarding future software updates, compared to Nokia (though they are obliged to provide updates, as the device is under the Android One programme).

In short, the Motorola offers more bang for the buck, but the Nokia's trust factor and brand recall is something that it can't match. In my opinion, you can't go wrong with either, hence, pick based on your requirements.

I chose the Motorola One Power because I am a heavy smartphone user (lots of media consumption, GPS usage, browsing and occasional games) hence battery life is very important for me. Also, I have been using a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 for the past two years, which offers great battery backup from it's 4000 mAH battery, hence I can't settle with anything lower. Also, this device lacks fast charging which made me realise it's importance, and hence that is a necessity as well. The Motorola One Power ticked all these boxes, hence I went ahead with it.
Old 11th December 2018, 23:25   #28263
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,
What is the major difference between Moto One power and Nokia X6? Mom needs a phone and these are the two we've narrowed it down to.
A good Camera would be welcome
If it is not too urgent then wait another 5 days and get the Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2. Will be available on Flipkart from 18th Dec.
Old 12th December 2018, 22:08   #28264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,
What is the major difference between Moto One power and Nokia X6...
Forgot to add a requirement- she needs a 3.5mm jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.iyer95 View Post
I had the exact same dilemma a few days back and have ordered the Motorola One Power. Both are Android One devices
That's why I recommended these two devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
If it is not too urgent then wait another 5 days and get the Asus Zenfone Max Pro M2. Will be available on Flipkart from 18th Dec.
I'm not sure about Asus as a brand. My mom loves the Moto G3 which she's been using for a long time and she wants a new device which will last long. I think Android one devices are the best for that. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)
Old 13th December 2018, 15:40   #28265
BHPian

Hi, on my Moto X4 I have received message for system update to Android 9. Anyone upgraded to Android 9? Does it have any impact on battery life? So far I am having no issues with Android 8 so would like to if there is any benefit in updating.
Old 14th December 2018, 10:48   #28266
Senior - BHPian

Xiaomi says they sold 700,000 Units of Poco F1: URL

Quote:
To celebrate its 700,000 units sold milestone, Xiaomi has announced that it has made the Poco F1 available on Mi.com and Flipkart at a discounted rate. The price of the Poco F1 64GB variant is at Rs. 19,999 (discount of Rs. 1,000), 128GB is at Rs. 21,999 (discount of Rs. 2,000), and the 256GB variant is listed at Rs. 25,999 (discount of Rs. 3,000). Furthermore, the 256GB Armoured Edition is listed for Rs. 26,999 (discount of Rs. 4,000).
Has anyone already upgraded to the Android Pie on the Poco F1? I hear the Stable Android Build is now available although not as OTA yet...

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 14th December 2018 at 10:50.
Old 14th December 2018, 13:52   #28267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Xiaomi says they sold 700,000 Units of Poco F1: URL
Any reviews from folks here on this phone? Man, my Z Play's camera is atrocious to say the least. I have to try real hard to get good photos on it.

I was also thinking about the Google Pixel Lite when it launches later this month, hoping the camera there is similar to its bigger brothers and the price is reasonable.

This F1phone packs a mean punch though. Seriously, is this the best all things considered in this price bracket?

My Zplay get an atrocious exchange value of 3,500 bucks
Old 14th December 2018, 14:27   #28268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

I was also thinking about the Google Pixel Lite when it launches later this month, hoping the camera there is similar to its bigger brothers and the price is reasonable.
I have not used POCO so can't comment on the photo quality. But xiaomi has enabled camera2api by default in poco so you can easily install gcam app without root. The output from these developer modified gcams is pretty good, at least way better than the stock camera apps.

I saw ~40k as the speculated price for pixel lite in some websites. Not sure if those are from credible sources. But if that's case, may as well pick a pixel 2xl.

Last edited by lordvader : 14th December 2018 at 14:30.
Old 14th December 2018, 15:13   #28269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post

I saw ~40k as the speculated price for pixel lite in some websites. Not sure if those are from credible sources. But if that's case, may as well pick a pixel 2xl.
Ridiculous! And these damn phones will be worth 5k in the resale market anyway after 2 years!

I think it makes more sense to get one of these flagship killers for ~20k, and then allow it to depreciate fully in 2 years and just buy another one. Maybe gift the one you're using to someone deserving you see around.

Hope a few members here chime in with their overall feebdack on the Poco F1.
Old 14th December 2018, 15:24   #28270
BHPian

Quote:
Ridiculous! And these damn phones will be worth 5k in the resale market anyway after 2 years!

I think it makes more sense to get one of these flagship killers for ~20k, and then allow it to depreciate fully in 2 years and just buy another one. Maybe gift the one you're using to someone deserving you see around.
I'm pretty sure that 40k number is pure speculation. It doesn't make sense to price a device with 670 sd chip in that price range. Pixel 2xl is currently retailing at 39-40k with a 835 chipset.
Old 14th December 2018, 15:25   #28271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I too used to think the same way. I searched a lot in 20k budget, but finally upped my budget. Now Pixel 2 XL has almost replaced my camera. Higher budget phones with good cameras/big battery/large enough screen are worth their price because of the total devices they replace. They bring OLED screens, don't get slow as quick as low budget phones and come with accompanying brand status.

Also, a mobile phone is the constant companion of most persons. Why not to splurge a little on something you are going to use for many many hours?
Old 14th December 2018, 15:29   #28272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
I'm pretty sure that 40k number is pure speculation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I too used to think the same way. I searched a lot in 20k budget, but finally upped my budget. Now Pixel 2 XL has almost replaced my camera.
Interesting feedback guys. Maybe I should wait for the year end sale and see what offers spring up on the Pixel 2 or 3? I don't know, what are your recommendations?

How does the Poco F1 pictures compare with the Pixel's? Is it really worth the extra dough to spend more on the Pixels? I dont play any games, do a LOT of reading, just some apps here and there, but would really like to up the camera game.
Old 14th December 2018, 15:34   #28273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any reviews from folks here on this phone?
Yes, my better half is using POCO F1 6GB/64GB for last two months. Highly recommended in all aspects. Now Pie is around the corner and Widevine L1 fix is on the way too.

Now the prices are even cheaper. Rs.19,999 for 6GB/64. There is an additional limited time discount of Rs.2000 running in Flipkart too.

Cheers!
Old 14th December 2018, 15:43   #28274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any reviews from folks here on this phone? Man, my Z Play's camera is atrocious to say the least. I have to try real hard to get good photos on it. Seriously, is this the best all things considered in this price bracket?
Quote:
Hope a few members here chime in with their overall feebdack on the Poco F1.
Absolute value for money phone - Poco F1 has taken the place of the older OnePlus I would say and the OnePlus has now moved up to a different league and higher price range. I bought the Poco F1 for my wife and she is extremely happy with it and especially the Camera. Here is my initial post where I posted some pictures taken with the F1 as well : (Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods). As recommended by most reviewers the back is plastic and so i went for a good back case for it.

The Google Camera does not work properly on Android Oreo and needs Pie. I tried the Google Camera - we cannot see the picture while taking it - it just shows a black screen in Oreo but once the picture is saved we can see it in Gallery and see the effect of the Night Sight kind of feature. Hence I am eagerly waiting for Pie to roll out - should happen anytime this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Now the prices are even cheaper. Rs.19,999 for 6GB/64. There is an additional limited time discount of Rs.2000 running in Flipkart too.
Cheers!
I would recommend the 6GB/128GB variant though. Got the 128 GB/ 6 GB variant for 21.5K during one of the earlier sales.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 14th December 2018 at 15:53.
Old 14th December 2018, 15:50   #28275
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks again. Should i also look at the MI A2, moto, and the pixel 2? Holy moly, why is the Pixel 2 so exorbitant!

Last edited by Red Liner : 14th December 2018 at 16:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks