Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2012, 13:58   #13261
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Guys, any idea when the Nexus 4 will be available in US or Canada on Google play ?

I have someone coming to India on 9 Jan and 1 Feb respectively and can request him to get one for me.
I have one ordered since 27th November and still waiting for shipping.
The worst part is that Google does not seem to be following simple FIFO for filling the orders. There are internet reports of people ordering in second week of December and given a shipping estimate of 5-6 weeks, but receiving their phones in just 3-4 days.
Old 26th December 2012, 14:56   #13262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
I have one ordered since 27th November and still waiting for shipping.
The worst part is that Google does not seem to be following simple FIFO for filling the orders. There are internet reports of people ordering in second week of December and given a shipping estimate of 5-6 weeks, but receiving their phones in just 3-4 days.
Have you made the payment ?

If yes, do you have an option for cancellation without any charges ?
Old 26th December 2012, 15:06   #13263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Have you made the payment ?

If yes, do you have an option for cancellation without any charges ?
Yes and yes. Actually I have made the payment thru a friend.
I am actually thinking of cancelling my order if the phone doesn't show up by mid of next month. The phone is losing its novelty factor fast and there *may* be a Nexus 5 by May next year.
Old 26th December 2012, 15:12   #13264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
If he is not ready to refund, you can ask for a replacement, a different set maybe? Also, what are the exact wordings of this seller warranty?
Here are the wordings of the seller warranty-:

Note : All the phone will be checked before dispatch to avoid returns.
Returns will only be accepted if the item is not as described as above. No returns are ‘accepted if u doesn’t like the item or features of the item, so make sure there are all the features in the item which you need before placing the order. For any software related issues repair on product buyer have to send the item to our address.*
Seller/Dealer warranty Products mean they are imported phones from outside India and hence there is no manufacture warranty in India.
The phones are 100% original, genuine and authentic only they do not have warranty in India.*
Hence we give you a 12 months seller/dealer warranty which includes only software support for 12 months and no hardware support.
In case of any hardware defect you have to get it repaired on a chargeable basis at any local service centre or you can send the product to us for any hardware repairs which will be done on a chargeable basis.

DEFECT ON ARRIVAL SHOULD BE REPORTED*IMMEDIATELY*AND WE SHALL REPLACE THE HANDSET WITHIN THE NEXT 3 DAYS

And just for information sake the seller is from Kolkata. Today had a talk with him he asked me to send the phone back to him and he will see what is the problem. He doesnt have HTC One V with him. He is not clear as to what he will do. Also today when I talked to him he informed me that the phone is indeed rooted. I feel cheated.
Old 26th December 2012, 15:33   #13265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post

Note : All the phone will be checked before dispatch to avoid returns.
Returns will only be accepted if the item is not as described as above. No returns are ‘accepted if u doesn’t like the item or features of the item, so make sure there are all the features in the item which you need before placing the order. For any software related issues repair on product buyer have to send the item to our address.*
Seller/Dealer warranty Products mean they are imported phones from outside India and hence there is no manufacture warranty in India.
The phones are 100% original, genuine and authentic only they do not have warranty in India.*
Hence we give you a 12 months seller/dealer warranty which includes only software support for 12 months and no hardware support.
In case of any hardware defect you have to get it repaired on a chargeable basis at any local service centre or you can send the product to us for any hardware repairs which will be done on a chargeable basis.

DEFECT ON ARRIVAL SHOULD BE REPORTED*IMMEDIATELY*AND WE SHALL REPLACE THE HANDSET WITHIN THE NEXT 3 DAYS

And just for information sake the seller is from Kolkata. Today had a talk with him he asked me to send the phone back to him and he will see what is the problem. He doesnt have HTC One V with him. He is not clear as to what he will do. Also today when I talked to him he informed me that the phone is indeed rooted. I feel cheated.
Hey,

Read up your case. seems like you fell for the deal. I would say, for a few bucks saving, seller warranty products are a risk in India. Its safer to buy a "sealed" box grey market price. Now whats done cant be undone. so the way i look at it, you have 2 clear options.

1. Go to a HTC service center and ask them to load up software on your phone. I know it will cost you. But think of it this way; you will send the phone to Kol by courier and spend an X amt on logistics and than have to follow up with the seller about the status and than probably pay again for getting the phone back to you. BUT lets assume you do all of that; whats the guarantee that you will get the phone in 100% working condition?

So, if you can locate a HTC service center in your city and just go and meet them and find a resolution.

2. Since you said the phone is indeed rooted; go to XDA and look up the ROM's there and load up one of them and setup your phone. There are a few ROMs available there. So if you spend a few hrs reading through XDA, you might be able to solve the issue at your end only. try http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1551

Regards,
Old 26th December 2012, 15:46   #13266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just what I had expected. Don't lose heart. If its fine hardware wise, I think it won't be much of an issue to correct its software.

I am not familiar with HTC One V, but searching on XDA, I came across this - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1676686. Looks easy enough. Try rooting and installing a custom rom and see if the issue persists.

I would say give it a shot before handing it over to the seller or HTC. Only thing is, read the instructions carefully.

All the best!
Old 26th December 2012, 17:19   #13267
BHPian

Thanks guys. Today my brother informed me that below the 3 capacitive buttons he saw light under each button. Also from side of screen he could see light coming. Will it not be possible for a refund?
Old 26th December 2012, 17:40   #13268
BHPian

Quote:
Will it not be possible for a refund?
Sorry for chiming in late. Please do NOT modify any software. Changing baseband is a sure shot way to void any HTC India support and also, you run the risk of the whole mobile telephony (network) chip going kaput and your phone will always be in flight mode or offline etc.

Check the IMEI sticker and see if it has some carrier label/logo near it. Does the package IMEI match the phone's IMEI?

My advice will be to ship it back to the seller and tell him to do a full refund of the amount. As you're positive that the phone was not brand new, why take additional risk and get somebody else's headache as a replacement set.Do insist on refund.

Light bleeding issue is grounds for a refund. Please go forward with the case and get a refund. And, do tell your brother that saving 1.5K on a 15K+ phone by buying a 'Seller Warranty' phone is akin to being penny wise, pound foolish

Last edited by JustCause : 26th December 2012 at 17:41.
Old 26th December 2012, 20:02   #13269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Sorry for chiming in late. Please do NOT modify any software. Changing baseband is a sure shot way to void any HTC India support and also, you run the risk of the whole mobile telephony (network) chip going kaput and your phone will always be in flight mode or offline etc.

Check the IMEI sticker and see if it has some carrier label/logo near it. Does the package IMEI match the phone's IMEI?

My advice will be to ship it back to the seller and tell him to do a full refund of the amount. As you're positive that the phone was not brand new, why take additional risk and get somebody else's headache as a replacement set.Do insist on refund.

Light bleeding issue is grounds for a refund. Please go forward with the case and get a refund. And, do tell your brother that saving 1.5K on a 15K+ phone by buying a 'Seller Warranty' phone is akin to being penny wise, pound foolish

Thanks for reply. The IMEI number is same on the phone and the box but the serial number in the phone settings menu and on the box are different. Please tell me what should I do if he is adamant on only replacing or something else?
Old 26th December 2012, 21:08   #13270
BHPian

Quote:
The IMEI number is same on the phone and the box but the serial number in the phone settings menu and on the box are different.
Did you buy it off Ebay??

if yes, Ebay already has a cheat prevention system in place that you can use.

The phone Sticker IMEI and the box IMEI must match. One can alter the Android IMEI display and serial number easily.

Anyway, I wouldn't trust such a seller with a replacement since he has already attempted to cheat you with a rooted and smuggled phone loaded with modified software.

Secondly, if you go to HTC service, they will deny any and all claim to warranty and might even refuse to take the phone in for repair. Rooting by the seller would've set a hidden flag inside the phone which will pop up the moment HTC India will attempt to handle the phone. HTC costs a lot to repair when out of warranty.

Have a talk with the seller, say that you prefer non-rooted phones and the fact that signal problem and rooted status prevent you to get latest SW update.

You can register a case in Consumer court against the online portal from where you bought the phone. Afterall, it is their job to catch hold of the seller and cancel his membership for these malpractices.
Old 26th December 2012, 21:30   #13271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Did you buy it off Ebay??

if yes, Ebay already has a cheat prevention system in place that you can use.

The phone Sticker IMEI and the box IMEI must match. One can alter the Android IMEI display and serial number easily.

Anyway, I wouldn't trust such a seller with a replacement since he has already attempted to cheat you with a rooted and smuggled phone loaded with modified software.

Secondly, if you go to HTC service, they will deny any and all claim to warranty and might even refuse to take the phone in for repair. Rooting by the seller would've set a hidden flag inside the phone which will pop up the moment HTC India will attempt to handle the phone. HTC costs a lot to repair when out of warranty.

Have a talk with the seller, say that you prefer non-rooted phones and the fact that signal problem and rooted status prevent you to get latest SW update.

You can register a case in Consumer court against the online portal from where you bought the phone. Afterall, it is their job to catch hold of the seller and cancel his membership for these malpractices.
Today evening my brother called him. It was around 7:30 approximately. He talked a bit and then asked my brother to call him around 9:00 as he is busy shipping phones. When my brother called him at around 9:15 it is coming that phone is switched off. There is no sticker on the phone. I went into settings option in phone and from there checked the IMEI number. Then I matched it with the one on the box. But yes Serial Number is different. I dont know whether phone is used or New but this attitude of his raises doubts. The problem is that I am in Lucknow and he is in Kolkata.
Old 26th December 2012, 22:25   #13272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Today evening my brother called him. It was around 7:30 approximately. He talked a bit and then asked my brother to call him around 9:00 as he is busy shipping phones. When my brother called him at around 9:15 it is coming that phone is switched off. There is no sticker on the phone. I went into settings option in phone and from there checked the IMEI number. Then I matched it with the one on the box. But yes Serial Number is different. I dont know whether phone is used or New but this attitude of his raises doubts. The problem is that I am in Lucknow and he is in Kolkata.
Where did you by it from?
If it's eBay, you may be safe, in that, you can initiate a refund, and also mess up his feedback. That is a fair enough threat to get this rolling. If it's something like the fly by night and a little dawn ops,might be a lost cause.

For the handset itself, why don't you try a factory reset first thing? Under settings- backup and reset.
Old 26th December 2012, 23:04   #13273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You had posted ginormous battery drain issues earlier, even in airplane mode. Those are solved now?
I just did a factory reset, Now will check in the morning.

Though, I used to get around 12-13 hours earlier, With moderate usage on battery. Now, Let me see, If i can see any improvement. Apart from this, The phone is awesome.
Old 27th December 2012, 05:48   #13274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Where did you by it from?
If it's eBay, you may be safe, in that, you can initiate a refund, and also mess up his feedback. That is a fair enough threat to get this rolling. If it's something like the fly by night and a little dawn ops,might be a lost cause.

For the handset itself, why don't you try a factory reset first thing? Under settings- backup and reset.
Actually he did not had the option of accepting cheques. So he said that I can transfer the amount in his bank account and as soon as he receives the amount he will ship the item.
Old 27th December 2012, 07:45   #13275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Actually he did not had the option of accepting cheques. So he said that I can transfer the amount in his bank account and as soon as he receives the amount he will ship the item.
OK. So not eBay then.
I hope a factory reset and xda are able to help you out, because this seller will wash his hands as soon as the sale starts heading south. In this time of open COD , sites offering seller safety, why did you go with this guy?

Most Viewed