Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2013, 12:25   #14761
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Excerpts from the super comparison report between Note 2 and LG Optimus G Pro on www.gsmarena.com :
LG Optimus G Pro over Samsung Galaxy Note II
  • Higher resolution 1080p display, higher pixel density
  • Smaller footprint and a tad lighter body
  • 13MP camera with HDR support
  • Faster CPU (1.7GHz Krait 300 vs. 1.6GHz Cortex A9) and Faster GPU (Adreno 320 vs Mali-400)
  • True Full HD IPS LCD has more accurate colors than Super AMOLED
  • Built-in IR sensor for advanced remote-control functionality (if you care for that)
Samsung Galaxy Note II over LG Optimus G Pro
  • AMOLED screen with superior contrast
  • Readily available in stores
  • Cheaper
  • S Pen and Wacom digitizer

Hardware:
Winner: The LG Optimus G Pro. LG's smartphone has a fresher design and more compact size, even though the lack of an S Pen is both a downside and a reason for the more compact size.

Screen:
Winner: LG Optimus G Pro. While the better contrast of the Galaxy Note II makes everything appear punchier and its sunlight legibility makes it the better choice outdoors, we believe productivity is key here and the LG Optuimus G Pro has the upper hand with its higher resolution.

Battery:
Winner: Samsung Galaxy Note II. We were surprised by the margin of the victory the Samsung phablet achieved here, given the almost identical batteries. Obviously, the 1080p resolution is quite power-hungry and the newer chipset just can't make up for it.

User Interface:
There is a tie, but Note 2 wins due to S-Pen.

Processor:
Winner: LG Optimus G Pro. The Snapdragon 600 platform is way newer than the Samsung-made Exynos 4410, which has been around for more than a year now, and it clearly shows in the benchmark scores of the two.

Still Camera:
Winner: LG Optimus G Pro.

Video:
Winner: Samsung Galaxy Note II.

Audio quality;
Tie

Overall, Optimus G Pro trumps the Note 2 in almost every department, except the missing S-Pen. As I already mentioned, if S-Pen is not a deal breaker, Optimus G Pro is a tremendous piece of tech at the price of ~35k INR.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 29th April 2013 at 12:31.
Old 29th April 2013, 14:43   #14762
BHPian

Right now if there is 1 phone but I will recommend that will be sony xperia z. It's an awesome device and it is weather proof with waterproofing and dust proofing and it has also got a premium feel to it with the glass panel. Its very thin too. Love sony's buil quality.. It has already sold over 4.6m in 46 days
Old 29th April 2013, 14:57   #14763
Senior - BHPian

Right now buying a phone that doesn't have a snapdragon s4 pro or 600 is just not worth it. Qualcomm is way ahead of everything else in terms of cpu and gpu performance. The performance of the new 4+4 core in the non LTE galaxy s4 is still to be seen.

Buying a cortex a9 based phone now is sheer stupidity considering how much slower they are compared to the kraits. Especially when one is paying over 30 big ones about it.
Old 29th April 2013, 15:08   #14764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The performance of the new 4+4 core in the non LTE galaxy s4 is still to be seen.
Nothing to do with LTE , European and Korean version with LTE also have Octa Core ( 4 + 4 ) Core.

Only US version will have Qualcomm chipset and that I heard is due to stratigic reasons such as support offered by QC to US carriers and sellability of Qualcomm in US market.
Old 29th April 2013, 17:15   #14765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686 View Post
Right now if there is 1 phone but I will recommend that will be sony xperia z. It's an awesome device and it is weather proof with waterproofing and dust proofing and it has also got a premium feel to it with the glass panel. Its very thin too. Love sony's buil quality.. It has already sold over 4.6m in 46 days
Absolutely second you there! If anybody wants a premium device that also looks great in the hands Sony XZ it is! I have played with one several times and was impressed each time with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Nothing to do with LTE , European and Korean version with LTE also have Octa Core ( 4 + 4 ) Core.

Only US version will have Qualcomm chipset and that I heard is due to stratigic reasons such as support offered by QC to US carriers and sellability of Qualcomm in US market.
There was a report that over 70% of S4s will be shipped with Qualcomm chipset. On XDA forums it is reported that Samsung has problems with thermal stability and battery consumption issues with the Octa core processor. Though these may be wrong/misguided reports.
Old 29th April 2013, 17:42   #14766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

There was a report that over 70% of S4s will be shipped with Qualcomm chipset. On XDA forums it is reported that Samsung has problems with thermal stability and battery consumption issues with the Octa core processor. Though these may be wrong/misguided reports.
XDA forum people say many things which may or may not be true at all.
I will not say anything specific here and will write in general terms for obvious reasons.

If 70% of sales happen in US may be yes , but there is nothing new in this arrrangement. All other flagships including S2, S3 were going with QC chipset for US.

Seeing from business strategy point of view , Actually setting up fab and augumenting capacity for approx 1 billion devices will be extramly costly and suppose if the device sales bounce semicon BU will also be in risk.

In early 2000 same thing happned to Motorola and SPS had to be sold off as freescale. Incidentally I was in Mot at that time and at that point this was the reason explained to us lower rung people by some high up visiting for HQ. There was too much interdependency between BUs and each divison was not making it's own profit thus bringing the whole company down.

Now question comes why Qualcomm for US and why not any other for US , yes then Qualcomm is big quite ahead of ohers and nimble but apart from these reasons.

In a way for any business finding local partners and suppliers is always good for stratigic , political and operational point of view specially in biggest market.

Suppose If there was an Indian AP company similar to Mediatech of china or Qualcomm surely there will be enough support for them to create favorable business environment for local market but if there are multiple like TI/Nvidia/QC fittest will win

PS: on a very different note China insists on it's own standards and chipsets in order to minimize outgoing royalty costs that too quite openly and rudely. USA I think is more subtle and senators talk in more refined manner

Last edited by amitk26 : 29th April 2013 at 17:44.
Old 29th April 2013, 17:58   #14767
Senior - BHPian

Samsung would not be able to satisfy the production capacity for their chips currently. That is one major reason to go with Qualcomm.

Also, US does not need to do what China does since they already have major contribution to any technology I wonder why the Chinese don't have a red Android version yet !

Last edited by srishiva : 29th April 2013 at 17:59.
Old 29th April 2013, 18:25   #14768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Also, US does not need to do what China does since they already have major contribution to any technology I wonder why the Chinese don't have a red Android version yet !
They do it slightly more refined and subtle manner after the analog era ( AMPS etc) and in early stages of digital mobiles when GSM was in early stages it was dominated by Europeans countires were in forfront.
US was behind Japan and EU but it created environment and barriers ( through regulation ofcourse) which allowed local companies to florish in mobile telephony and grow.
I think China is just following the footsteps by creating TS-CDMA rather then using WCDMA and it's own media codecs , Now they have ecosystem in place and exporting as well.

There are far too many instances beyond scope of this thread.
Old 29th April 2013, 22:48   #14769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While I am a big fan of Katarina, and I was wooed by the ad campaign, after seening the phone and reading more about it, I am not sure if that is the best recommendation. After all, one size does not fit all, right?

Has Sony solved the issue where the phone just switches off itself without any apparent reason?
http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/03/20...fix-is-coming/

Also, with the daily charging needed, I don't see the battery lasting for more than 2 years.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2230996

How easy will it be to replace the battery on this 'sealed' phone?

Last edited by S_U_N : 29th April 2013 at 22:49.
Old 29th April 2013, 23:37   #14770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post

While I am a big fan of Katarina, and I was wooed by the ad campaign, after seening the phone and reading more about it, I am not sure if that is the best recommendation. After all, one size does not fit all, right?

Has Sony solved the issue where the phone just switches off itself without any apparent reason?
http://www.xperiablog.net/2013/03/20...fix-is-coming/

Also, with the daily charging needed, I don't see the battery lasting for more than 2 years.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2230996

How easy will it be to replace the battery on this 'sealed' phone?
My Xperia Z has never shutdown on me.
As for the battery replacement you can get Sony to replace it when necessary or Getty a tear down video and DIY.

I personally have never kept a phone for more than a year. They generally break before that.
Old 30th April 2013, 01:46   #14771
BHPian

Samsung India's Marketing head should be fired for this Sh*t.

Old 30th April 2013, 05:09   #14772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
#facepalm. Oh my god what on earth was that. Argh. Seriously did they have no other better Idea? Instead of doing this song and dance, they couldve got a female star and promoted the phone. I wonder if the ad budget was very less that they had to go with that guy. :Uncontrol:

Last edited by noopster : 8th June 2013 at 20:32. Reason: Please don't quote the video URL in the reply
Old 30th April 2013, 06:17   #14773
BHPian

What were they thinking when they were making that song. So stupid way of promoting a song.
Old 30th April 2013, 06:33   #14774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Overall, Optimus G Pro trumps the Note 2 in almost every department, except the missing S-Pen. As I already mentioned, if S-Pen is not a deal breaker, Optimus G Pro is a tremendous piece of tech at the price of ~35k INR.
Yeah, I too felt the same. Where did you get the price from, is it launched in INDIA already ?

Quote:
Its a decent device. I used it for close to 45 mins yesterday. I liked the form factor, the blacks are greyish. The screen was dull, I tried 100 % brightness too.

Had this device been somewhere in the range of 30K, it would have been a great buy.But at 36K there are better devices.

OMG. The promotional video above by Samsung is so lame !!

Last edited by F150 : 30th April 2013 at 06:37.
Old 30th April 2013, 06:48   #14775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
OMG. This is EPIC !! PSY should not have given rights for creating this nuisance !!
Agree with Partha over the female lead actress for promoting a brand (like Katrina for Sony, Anushka for Nikon). But this is overdone. LOL :-D

Last edited by noopster : 8th June 2013 at 20:32. Reason: Please don't quote the video URL in the reply

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks