Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2013, 18:03   #14881
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
I'm waiting for flipkart to start stocking accessories for the XZ.
in.mobilefun.com has a lot of stuff, but I don't know anything about the site, so I'm refraining from ordering from there.
Also I've not looked around in the market I just had knee surgery, so I'm not particularly mobile
Alrighty, take care of that busted knee.

I wonder why Sony doesn't stock any accessories for this phone or even push around for it...half-a**ed attempt.
Old 7th May 2013, 18:06   #14882
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the info spruce, still to configure the phone. This is all so overwhelming after having been on the BlackBerry since forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Where do you get great cases for this phone in India? Loads of stuff abroad...absolutely nothing on the shelves here!
Tell me about it man! I walked into a dedicated accessories store and they had practically nothing for the XZL, I doubt they had even heard about the XZL.
The free cover I got with the package looks like it will damage the corners over a period of time. Will order a gel case later in the evening.
Old 7th May 2013, 18:57   #14883
BHPian

Updated Samsung Galaxy S2 to latest firmware PDA:LST/PHONE:LS9/CSC:LSE (INU) through Kies
Yet to check for differences in battery life, performance
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-galaxy-s2-firmware-upgrade.jpg  

Old 7th May 2013, 19:13   #14884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Thanks for the info spruce, still to configure the phone. This is all so overwhelming after having been on the BlackBerry since forever.

Tell me about it man! I walked into a dedicated accessories store and they had practically nothing for the XZL, I doubt they had even heard about the XZL.
The free cover I got with the package looks like it will damage the corners over a period of time. Will order a gel case later in the evening.
One of the best things about the XZ are the pogo ports for charging the phone, just below the SD card slot.

I saw a muvit wireless Qi charging case for the phone for about 5K on in.mobilefun.com, but while the wireless charging was good, the case itself wasn't. Waiting for a Brodit case or a Capdase one.
They also have active car docks which can charge you phone when you put it in. Waiting to get me one of those babies.

Already got a Bluetooth headset and an SD card installed so well not need to open any of the flaps any more.
Old 7th May 2013, 19:47   #14885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxmanju View Post
Very less chance of anyone having used it, as it is recently launched and that too with a huge backlog. But yes you are right the specs look great on the paper. As it will be running Android, I don't see anyone facing too much of an issue, assuming Karbon has done a good job with the hardware. I would be more paranoid with Karbon with their own OS.

The other alternate mobile which I was eyeing on was Wammy Passion HD ( http://www.wickedleak.org/199-wammy-...ore-phone.html ). This is also similarly/better speced with a true HD screen as opposed to qHD in Titanium S5, 2800 mAh battery compared to 2000 mAh battery and processor is said to be superior to titanium s5.
Thanks linuxmanju for the info. Probably let me have a look at both of them physically before ordering through online.
Old 7th May 2013, 23:51   #14886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
I just finished ordering my 16Gb Nexus 4 on Play Store. The current status is being shown as "Pending".

I wonder if that's something to worry about. Can I sit back and relax and wait for Aramex Shop and Ship to bring it home or is there still scope for this order to fail? In the transaction details they say that the amount will be charged only after they ship the product. I hope they do it quick and without any problems.

By the way, there was a detailed post in this thread by a member mentioning the various steps to order the Nexus 4 to be shipped to India, here's me thanking you, wherever you are.
Just keep your fingers crossed. There are more likely chances of cancellation if you have used Indian credit card except for HDFC and Citibank.

I had ordered the same way and shop and ship was amazing. Just remember to provide invoice to CustomerCare once it ships from New York.

Good luck!
Old 8th May 2013, 00:04   #14887
Senior - BHPian

Sony has come back and how they have! Rumors of the new monster (Honami) suggest something better than the best out there!

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-...hablet_id42726

Here are the mindblowing specs:
5 inch Full HD (XR5) Reality / Triluminos Display with X-Reality
S800 + Adreno 330, clock unknown ( XR5)
2 GB RAM +
32gb with micro sd slot (XR5)
8/13/16.2 Mp camera, with BIONZ mobile (XR5) ..1/1.5"/1.1.6 ( XR5) exmor RS. All new image processing algorithim(XR5), G Lens (XR5), Xenon Flash/Dual Led/Plasma flash.
Said to beat all Android cameras
S Master Walkman mobile (XR5)
Liquid Magnetic Mobile Speaker
3000 mAh battery +(XR5)
Glass + Metal body with Carbon Fibre (XR5)
Android 4.2.2/whatever the next version is
IP58 certification
New Revamped UI
most beatiful xperia ever..(XR5)

I hope Sony can get this bad boy out.
Old 8th May 2013, 10:20   #14888
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Have been using the S3 for over a month now and am not yet confident of the battery life. I have it on Power Saving mode right from day one, yet battery is down to approx 10% by the end of the day after a full charge in the morning.

Following is useage patterm:
1) Phone Calls: An hour max incoming and outgoing calls included
2) Whatsapp: Throughout the day
3) FB/FB messenger: roughly 30 mins
4) Emails for Gmail, Yahoo, Office (MS Exchange) Synced
5) Games: Words by Post around an hour
6) Bluetooth pairing to Car HU only for Phone calls around 3 hours
7) Data Connectivity throught the waking hours, Mobile data at Office and while travelling, Wifi at home.

I charge my phone only at night with data connectivity completely off. At times the Phone charges from as low as 4% to 100% in around 3 hours, whereas at times it goes only from 30% to 80% throughout the night.

Can someone suggest how to check on whats causing this uneven battery charge pattern or a good battery manager app.
Old 8th May 2013, 10:34   #14889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Hi Guys,
Can someone suggest how to check on whats causing this uneven battery charge pattern or a good battery manager app.
Settings - Battery,will show which applications are consuming the most battery power.
Usual culprits are voice calls and data - whether via wifi or via carrier ( 2G, 3G).
One of the things, you may try is to reduce the frequency at which data is synchronized between your email app and the server.
This is usually possible for email apps, but may not be possible for social media apps.
You can also try memory booster /battery booster apps.
Memory booster - essentially rids the app cache of idle apps, and that in turn saves some battery power - but not much.
Battery booster - is a little better than Memory Booster apps, and works by selectively turning off services on the devices depending on the policy chosen. For example, shutting down the screen, shutting down the wifi etc. when battery level falls below a certain %.
I have juice defender and memory booster installed. But I still need to get the phone to charge up from time to time.
Tip: Invest in a car-charger, or an extension of the 12 V power outlet with USB slot.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 8th May 2013 at 10:56.
Old 8th May 2013, 10:39   #14890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Settings - Battery,will show which applications are consuming the most battery power.
Usual culprits are voice calls and data - whether via wifi or via carrier ( 2G, 3G).
One of the things, you may try is to reduce the frequency at which data is synchronized between your email app and the server.
This is usually possible for email apps, but may not be possible for social media apps.
You can also try memory booster /battery booster apps - essentially they rid the app cache of idle apps, and that in turn saves some battery power - but not much.
I have juice defender and memory booster installed. But I still need to get the phone to charge up from time to time.
Tip: Invest in a car-charger, or an extension of the 12 V power outlet with USB slot.
Thanks for the info Joy, I do have a car chrger but avoid using it unless absolutely necessary. I practice the full charge/discharge cycle on these gadgets, works for laptops and camera batteries, but the S3 has me confused . Will go deeper into setting and check the sync options!
Old 8th May 2013, 11:24   #14891
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Have been using the S3 for over a month now and am not yet confident of the battery life. I have it on Power Saving mode right from day one, yet battery is down to approx 10% by the end of the day after a full charge in the morning.

7) Data Connectivity throught the waking hours, Mobile data at Office and while travelling, Wifi at home.

I charge my phone only at night with data connectivity completely off. At times the Phone charges from as low as 4% to 100% in around 3 hours, whereas at times it goes only from 30% to 80% throughout the night.

One more thing to take into consideration.
If you are in a place with bad reception, your phone boosts power to the 2G and 3G radios.
So your battery will drain faster.

It is possible that when your phone doesn't charge properly over night it is probably because of the bad reception.

Also heat can damage the battery, so the inbuilt charging controller will reduce the current basis the charge on the battery and its temperature.

If the radios are in use, the phone it's going to run slightly hot, so it will take longer to charge.
Old 8th May 2013, 11:43   #14892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
One more thing to take into consideration.
If you are in a place with bad reception, your phone boosts power to the 2G and 3G radios.
So your battery will drain faster.

It is possible that when your phone doesn't charge properly over night it is probably because of the bad reception.

Also heat can damage the battery, so the inbuilt charging controller will reduce the current basis the charge on the battery and its temperature.

If the radios are in use, the phone it's going to run slightly hot, so it will take longer to charge.
Yes I do have network issues, been using Loopmobile since the past 10-12 years, original vintage sim !! Although the network bar stays full, the call drops are embarassing. Guess its time to switch operator now, seriously considering Vodafone, lets see how it goes!

Another query I had was, Initially my Gmail account was syncing the pics clicked on my camera to the picasa account, although they did not upload anywhere, the picasa albums are shown in the Gallery and there is no way to delete these albums. Any clues on this one?
Old 8th May 2013, 11:43   #14893
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

The uneven battery charge might happen depending on which apps are running when you keep the phone on charging.

As far as battery life is concerned, you seem to be quite a heavy user and thus battery coming down to 10% EOD is quite normal with most andriod phones unless it has a bigger battery/screen ratio.

IMHO, battery management apps are not of much use as they will also do the following functions

1. Turn data on/off
2. Reduce brightness
3. Reduce screen time out
4. Bluetooth/Wifi off when not required
5. Same with GPS

In case, you want to get more battery life i would suggest try to switch of auto sync and gps when not required. Plus, if you stay indoors also keep the screen brightness to 25%. I have got about 20 - 30 % more battery life because of this.
Old 8th May 2013, 11:51   #14894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the info Joy, I do have a car chrger but avoid using it unless absolutely necessary. I practice the full charge/discharge cycle on these gadgets, works for laptops and camera batteries, but the S3 has me confused . Will go deeper into setting and check the sync options!
Add a battery saver like 2x, it will increase your battery life. It disable the data and enables it every 15 min, when the phone is kept idle.
Old 8th May 2013, 11:56   #14895
BHPian

Quote:

Yes I do have network issues, been using Loopmobile since the past 10-12 years, original vintage sim !! Although the network bar stays full, the call drops are embarassing. Guess its time to switch operator now, seriously considering Vodafone, lets see how it goes!

Another query I had was, Initially my Gmail account was syncing the pics clicked on my camera to the picasa account, although they did not upload anywhere, the picasa albums are shown in the Gallery and there is no way to delete these albums. Any clues on this one?
Your call dropping might not be a network issue.
I've never been able to make our receive calls properly from any phone that I have had from my room at home, until I got my xperia Z.
Now I have no issues.

As for removing picasa albums, check this link out.
Might help.
http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&sou...3KshE76N2fYTgQ

Most Viewed