Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2013, 17:15   #14866
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Now that I have got my hands a bit dirty with Android, got CWM on my Defy+ phone, along with some experience of using it to backup and restore, giving me confidence that, whatever I mess up, as long is the phone is, at least, bootable, I can put it back the way that it was at backup time, I will move on to doing some experiements with ROMS (or operating systems, I prefer to call them: ROM is the physical thing where they are stored!). Probably I'll start with MIUI, as per one of the recommendations received.

First I have a trip, for which I had better keep the phone familiar and reliable. Then I have a couple of wifeless weeks, with plenty of quite solitude for such tasks
I would suggest QuarX, its much much better than MIUI and my Defy was lot better until I lost it

Here are the links I had kept in my latest backup:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1795647

download links:
http://volkov.ath.cx/quarx2k.ru/cm10...ghtly-defy(+)/

gaps: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip

quaRK: http://d-h.st/users/Quarx/?fld_id=6264#files

With my experiments, I found 2012.10.8 rom very stable and good

But always backup: messages, contacts, photos, and videos. You can also export your contacts to external file if it is not synched with gmail.

Last edited by madbullram : 6th May 2013 at 17:18. Reason: language
Old 6th May 2013, 17:51   #14867
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well I stay away from the likes of rediff shopping, indiatimes shopping, timtara etc. Too many bad reviews floating around. Unless they agree COD, I wouldnt buy anything from them. Even with COD theres a chance of getting bad product and then a nightmare following up with their after sales.
I agree. Keeping my fingers crossed on this! Btw, India Times does offer COD. Noob question, but can a card be swiped for COD, or do they accept only hard cash?
Old 6th May 2013, 18:20   #14868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post

I agree. Keeping my fingers crossed on this! Btw, India Times does offer COD. Noob question, but can a card be swiped for COD, or do they accept only hard cash?
Flipkart accepts card payments for COD.
Don't know about other vendors though
Old 6th May 2013, 18:28   #14869
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Flipkart accepts card payments for COD.
Don't know about other vendors though
How is the battery lasting on your Z? Any teething niggles just yet? Also, is the scratch resistant film (screen guard) factory applied for the Z, or did you have to apply it yourself?
Old 6th May 2013, 20:21   #14870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post

How is the battery lasting on your Z? Any teething niggles just yet? Also, is the scratch resistant film (screen guard) factory applied for the Z, or did you have to apply it yourself?
I have no issues with the hardware...
Very good camera.
Very good call quality. The best I've had in a phone.
Very good reception. Again, the best I've had in a phone.
Brilliant screen. The only time I notice the limited viewing angle issue is when I tilt the phone to see how bad the viewing angle actually is. But I have no real world issues with the screen.
When the screen is on, the battery dies out quite fast. Otherwise it's quite good.
Speaker volume is quite low.
Headphone volume (from the Jack) is also quite low, but Bluetooth volume and clarity is very good.
The WiFi antenna is not to good.
And I've washed the phone a couple of times.

I do have some software issues though.
The phone becomes laggy sometimes.
Sometimes games become jerky, though most of the Times they are smooth.
And once the phone rang, but it displayed no caller or answering button.

All these issues started after I installed McAfee and lookout. Which I then uninstalled because they are not free.
And I'm cheap :-D.

Overall the phone is brilliant and the phone is very developer friendly.
Waiting for a stable version of CyanogenMod 10.1 to come out.

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 6th May 2013 at 20:24.
Old 6th May 2013, 21:07   #14871
Senior - BHPian

@sprucegoose, rooting the phone removes the brilliant bravia engine. why do you want to do that?
Old 6th May 2013, 23:37   #14872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
@sprucegoose, rooting the phone removes the brilliant bravia engine. why do you want to do that?
Because Sony are committed to releasing the binaries of all their hardware. Including the camera and screen. It'll just take some time.
The bravia engine is propriety software, so they don't want to release the code. I think they are working on an SDK or some such thing that will let developers use it without releasing the source code
Old 7th May 2013, 06:47   #14873
Senior - BHPian

I got my 32 GB Unlocked HTC ONE today after a lot of waiting, anxious calls and what not. Had ordered on 24th April and finally got the shipment today in Miami though HTC really botched up the release here as the phone is out of stock every where and their sales partner in US are pathetic.

As for the ONE , this thing is amazing. I was hesitant to go for it because of no previous experience with HTC and their non existent service in India (of what am told) but once i used it back to back with S4 i just couldnt resist buying it.

The screen is brilliant, just stunning and you need to listen to those speakers, played the same song on my friend's iPhone 5 and ONE and the difference was huge, its buttery smooth and no lag anywhere, its ridiculous fast. My unit is perfectly fine, no uneven gaps or anything and got 2.5 hours of screen time on 50% battery after i received so it seems pretty decent.

Paid 575$ for it, 32 gigs unlocked which comes to 31k INR , beat that. My Note has to go now.
Old 7th May 2013, 07:48   #14874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

Paid 575$ for it, 32 gigs unlocked which comes to 31k INR , beat that. My Note has to go now.
How did you ship it to DELHI ? Are you in the US ?
Old 7th May 2013, 09:34   #14875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
How did you ship it to DELHI ? Are you in the US ?
Am in US only right now for my studies
Old 7th May 2013, 16:07   #14876
BHPian

Has anyone used Karbonn Titanium S5? The specs are too good to resist, however I have reservation for Karbonn mobiles as such. Any feedback on this model or any Karbonn mobile from the users of Karbonn mobiles will help me in deciding on this. Thanks..
Old 7th May 2013, 16:50   #14877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindr View Post
Has anyone used Karbonn Titanium S5? The specs are too good to resist, however I have reservation for Karbonn mobiles as such. Any feedback on this model or any Karbonn mobile from the users of Karbonn mobiles will help me in deciding on this. Thanks..
Very less chance of anyone having used it, as it is recently launched and that too with a huge backlog. But yes you are right the specs look great on the paper. As it will be running Android, I don't see anyone facing too much of an issue, assuming Karbon has done a good job with the hardware. I would be more paranoid with Karbon with their own OS.

The other alternate mobile which I was eyeing on was Wammy Passion HD ( http://www.wickedleak.org/199-wammy-...ore-phone.html ). This is also similarly/better speced with a true HD screen as opposed to qHD in Titanium S5, 2800 mAh battery compared to 2000 mAh battery and processor is said to be superior to titanium s5.
Old 7th May 2013, 17:40   #14878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Because Sony are committed to releasing the binaries of all their hardware. Including the camera and screen. It'll just take some time.
The bravia engine is propriety software, so they don't want to release the code. I think they are working on an SDK or some such thing that will let developers use it without releasing the source code
Where do you get great cases for this phone in India? Loads of stuff abroad...absolutely nothing on the shelves here!
Old 7th May 2013, 17:47   #14879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Where do you get great cases for this phone in India? Loads of stuff abroad...absolutely nothing on the shelves here!
I'm waiting for flipkart to start stocking accessories for the XZ.
in.mobilefun.com has a lot of stuff, but I don't know anything about the site, so I'm refraining from ordering from there.
Also I've not looked around in the market I just had knee surgery, so I'm not particularly mobile
Old 7th May 2013, 17:59   #14880
BHPian

I just finished ordering my 16Gb Nexus 4 on Play Store. The current status is being shown as "Pending".

I wonder if that's something to worry about. Can I sit back and relax and wait for Aramex Shop and Ship to bring it home or is there still scope for this order to fail? In the transaction details they say that the amount will be charged only after they ship the product. I hope they do it quick and without any problems.

By the way, there was a detailed post in this thread by a member mentioning the various steps to order the Nexus 4 to be shipped to India, here's me thanking you, wherever you are.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks