Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2015, 09:25   #22366
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Has anyone bought/ordered the OnePlus X? It has very good specs for the price, and the build quality looks fantastic. I was hoping to get reviews from BHPians.
Old 28th November 2015, 11:59   #22367
BHPian

Could anyone suggest me a good free news aggregator app that I can use to aggregate news from various sources (ndtv, cnn, bbc)? I would also need to configure which ones to show notifications on my lock screen when a news arrives in one the sources! I mean, I should be able to select only ndtv to show me notifications when a new news arrives! Any suggestions?

I came across gReader, but this does not have notifications as far as I see!
Old 28th November 2015, 12:26   #22368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Could anyone suggest me a good free news aggregator app that I can use to aggregate news from various sources (ndtv, cnn, bbc)? I would also need to configure which ones to show notifications on my lock screen when a news arrives in one the sources! I mean, I should be able to select only ndtv to show me notifications when a new news arrives! Any suggestions?

I came across gReader, but this does not have notifications as far as I see!
Feedly. Pretty awesome though it seems to crash a bit.
Old 28th November 2015, 12:56   #22369
BHPian

I'm trying it right now. Does it have push notifications that show me the latest news on my lock screen?
Old 28th November 2015, 13:23   #22370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Has anyone bought/ordered the OnePlus X? It has very good specs for the price, and the build quality looks fantastic. I was hoping to get reviews from BHPians.
Bought in the family. Awesome piece. Very good performance and a damn good camera. It has the feature of recording hd videos in slowmo.
Mine is with glass body. There is one more in ceramic but isn't available on amazon.
Only 1 drawback. It heats up a lot.
Old 28th November 2015, 15:18   #22371
BHPian

Quote:
Could anyone suggest me a good free news aggregator app that I can use to aggregate news from various sources (ndtv, cnn, bbc)?
Have you tried Google's official Play Newstand? Plenty of customisations possible.
Old 28th November 2015, 21:34   #22372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Bought in the family. Awesome piece. Very good performance and a damn good camera. It has the feature of recording hd videos in slowmo.

Only 1 drawback. It heats up a lot.
Oh nice! How is the performance of the GPU? Many forums are full of people complaining about the GPU performance. I found that really strange, since the Adreno 330 was the flagship Qualcomm last year.

Does it heat up while using it for day to day tasks as well?
Old 28th November 2015, 21:40   #22373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh nice! How is the performance of the GPU? Many forums are full of people complaining about the GPU performance. I found that really strange, since the Adreno 330 was the flagship Qualcomm last year.

Does it heat up while using it for day to day tasks as well?
Has been bought for a lady member so not much used in gaming. And yes, heats up even for day to day tasks
Old 29th November 2015, 00:19   #22374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm trying it right now. Does it have push notifications that show me the latest news on my lock screen?
Look no further than News Republic:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...srepublic.appy

Pros:
It is built for your use case - subscription of news sources by topic, and not the traditional epaper interface. Filter in on the news you want, only.
Global news sources - BBC, Reuters as well as many global tech feeds et al (1100+ afaik)
Includes even reputed bloggers like Labnol (Amit Agarwal)

Cons:
Ad-supported

PS: Play Newsstand is nice and has all the sources but nowhere as customizable. They need a lot of polish on the GN app.
Old 29th November 2015, 01:06   #22375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My co worker bought it. It is a beautiful phone. Very fast. But the camera is not good. Photos lack details. If you're buying it as a camera phone, don't buy.

One more thing, I heard it does not support 64bit architecture because of the aging 801 snapdragon processor. Kindly confirm this one.
Old 29th November 2015, 09:49   #22376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
My Mi3 screen cracked today morning after a fall. It's not registering any touch inputs. It was all of 16 months old.

I am in a dilemma, whether to get it repaired or get a new phone? Spoke to the Mi3 service center guys and they quoted 8k minimum (can go up if other components are damaged, can only be confirmed once they take the phone in for repair).

Any experience of the Mi service centers?
Wifey's Mi3 (bought in the very first Flipkart flash sale) screen had cracked around a year back. Since there is no SVC in Nasik, I took it to a friendly neighborhood repair guy.

The LCD display was alright so he decided just to replace the front glass. Costed me all of 1500 bucks. Pasted a tempered glass screen on it immediately after the repair job. Not had an issue ever since.
Old 29th November 2015, 12:45   #22377
BHPian

I have a question about using Whatsapp. I see that I'm getting calls from my contacts, but when my phone is in lock mode (I'm using the CM Locker) I'm not able to see from whom the call is coming from! The phone just vibrates and I have to unlock the screen to see who is calling. Any ideas how to control and view the caller information on the lock screen?
Old 29th November 2015, 15:02   #22378
BHPian

HELP! Which Device - Mi4 or OnePlus X ?

Planning to buy a new smatphone. Need your suggestions!

My requirements:
- Reliable brand (can't consider Micromax, Xolo, Lava, etc). Thinking more on Moto, Xiaomi, OnePlus - value-for-money brands.
- Size: Can't have more than 5in.
- Should be 3GB RAM
- Don't want to spend more than 20K
- Battery backup - should at least last 1 full day with 3G on during the day and Wifi in the evenings/mornings. Occasionally use GPS and Music streaming. So, battery should be good.
- 4G is not really requirement. I have only started using 3G few months back when rest of the world has been using it for ages.

Few Points
I currently use Moto X 1st gen and though it is nice device to hold, battery life is pathetic (can't even last till evening if charged fully). I have used Moto G 1st gen before and in my view it's miles better than more expensive Moto X!
I have been using Lollipop since it was released and I hate it as compared to Kitkat. I feel, it's just too slow and white everywhere. Battery is bad since I moved to L from K.

Coming to choices I have
Considering Mi4, OnePlus X as these seem to satisfy my requirements. Moto X Play is eliminated because of size and MotoG3 because of RAM size.
Though Mi4 is an older device, it's still comparable with current devices and key thing I am considering it is MIUI interface (which will take me away from Lollipop) :-)

So, questions to you:
- Has anybody used Mi4 (not Mi4i) - if yes, what is the feedback? My colleagues use Mi3/Mi Note and they are mighty happy with their devices - especially MIUI.
- Has anybody used OnePlus X - if yes, what is the feedback? My colleague has been using it since a week and though overall he's happy, he's not happy with Camera at all and heating issues when using intensive data transfer (Xender) and occasional GPS use. He's comparing with his old Galaxy S3

- So, please help me choose a device.
Old 29th November 2015, 16:43   #22379
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Planning to buy a new smatphone. Need your suggestions!

My requirements:
==========

- So, please help me choose a device.
Have you tried looking at the Honor 6? Seems to fit your requirements to the T.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th December 2015 at 09:00. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 29th November 2015, 16:47   #22380
Distinguished - BHPian

I got the Aukey home/travel charger, 3 ports, one with Quick-charge 2.

Normally I would avoid the American flat-pin plug model, but I like the way the prongs fold back into the box, and I'd probably be using an adapter for round pins anyway.

Now I only need to take one charger away with me when I travel.

This brand has become so popular here we ought to have an Aukey owners' thread!

~

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks