Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2020, 12:36   #29866
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I know exynos gets a lot of hate in india but the chipset in my A50 works flawlessly. No heating or battery issues. Maybe I was lucky

I think One plus nord is launching soon. Its rumored to launch at an attractive price. With that demand for Pro and 8 might reduce and they might be forced to put them on open sale. So, anyone interested may wait for a month.
The Exynos in your A50 is a workhorse and a very competent mid level chip.

Even the Exynos 9825 in the Note 10+ is fantastic. Runs cool, is fairly fast and gets the job done.

The problem is with their flagship Exynos 990 chip that they launched this year pitting it against the SD 865. It seems it was rushed to the market.

Nord should bring back some of the lost glory for oneplus. I think the panel issues with the OP8 Pro and the whole China standoff recently is why OP is not opening the OP8 Pro for open sale.

Last edited by bigron : 11th July 2020 at 12:40.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 13:03   #29867
BHPian

LG V40 ThinQ ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Got a LG V40 ThinQ for less than 30K. Seems to be a good deal. I get a Penta Camera setup with and a good Pro mode for both photography and Videos. The legendary LG QDAC with the phone and the BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm headphone is just amazing. Elevates the music listening to another level. The OLED screen is lively and good for media content. Serves all purpose for me since V40 gets Android update and the LG UX 9.0 as well. So should be good for now and after a year or two as a backup phone for media and music.
Interesting choice.
I am also considering an upgrade from my A50 and was thinking of Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite.
But your post made me sit up and take notice - considering 5 cameras, sound and SD845 chipset with OLED screen.
Can you please let me know what battery life you are getting. That seems to be one of the Cons noted by most of the online reviewers.
Your real-world usage feedback would be extremely useful!!
TIA
Old 11th July 2020, 13:24   #29868
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
... was thinking of Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite.
But your post made me sit up and take notice - considering 5 cameras, sound and SD845 chipset with OLED screen.
Samsung will win hands down in the OS experience as well as for upgrades. Wife owns the S10Lite and it is quite snappy.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 18:35   #29869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Interesting choice.
I am also considering an upgrade from my A50 and was thinking of Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite.
Can you please let me know what battery life you are getting. That seems to be one of the Cons noted by most of the online reviewers.
Your real-world usage feedback would be extremely useful!!
TIA
My final choices were the V40 & G7 ThinQ from LG and the S10 Lite & A71 from Samsung. V40 had the P-OLED screen and just 2-3K over the G7 ThinQ whereas the G7 has an LCD screen. My mom has the LG G7 ThinQ and I started experiencing the QDAC in that through a 250 ohms headphone. The A71 was skipped because V40 in the same price bracket felt way superior.

V40 gets the Android 10 update with the LG UX 9.0 which is similar to the Samsung One UI. So update wise it is ok but it is still a 1.5 year old phone as of now and I see only security updates henceforth. The QDAC is something which is superb for listening to music if you have a higher impedance headphone. The pro mode for videos and camera and a GCam mod available for V40 tilted my decision towards this phone and also the price mainly since I wanted something in 30K range. I don't get the QDAC in the Samsung and I hate the image processing of the Samsung starting with the S10. I know this because I compare same images shot from S10, HTC U11 and Pixel 3. The Pixel 3 turns out the best and even the HTC U11 can beat the S10 in most situations because of better image processing. The imaging capabilities of the V40 are very good in all 3 cameras and top notch when shot with the pro mode.

LG V40 will last a day for moderate use and I have about 20 percent remaining end of day. For heavy use, with data or wifi always on, and 4-5 hours of media usage it will barely last a day. I had about 3-4 percent left with heavy use and on some days requiring charge mid way for very heavy use.

S10 lite is a good 44K or 48K depending on the model you choose and you get a 4K cashback with HDFC card. I got the V40 for 28K with an instant cashback on card. So cost wise it is a win with all features the phone offers but the battery is a slight bother though. I wont mind this since I carry the charger to office and can charge if required.

If price is not an issue S10 Lite should be good with the SD855 processor and 4500 mah battery but have to be very careful because the screen replacement charges are huge for the AMOLED.

Have S10 and S10 lite in the family and these were dropped a few times and have ended up replacing the screen for both. Costed me 15K for S10 and about 12K for S10 lite to replace the screen. Both times when the screen cracked the fall was from a about 3 feet and the branded back case didn't help both times. Had a Spigen for S10 and Ringke for S10 Lite but because of the curved nature of the screen, the back case cannot provide a raised protection to the screen like most other phones. The screen cracked and phone was still usable for a few days but then went blank and had to replace. The Samsung service center can at best provide a curved screen guard against scratches which is not actually a tempered glass. The ones available online don't offer a perfect edge to edge protection.

This was one factor in me not going for the Samsung whereas the V40 has a flat screen and with the Ringke back case it has a raised protection in the front and also a clean edge to edge tempered glass for protection. Personally the media capabilities of the V40 and the price difference made me chose the V40.

Last edited by whencut86 : 11th July 2020 at 18:36. Reason: correction
whencut86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 22:08   #29870
BHPian

Quote:
Had a Spigen for S10 and Ringke for S10 Lite but because of the curved nature of the screen. The ones available online don't offer a perfect edge to edge protection.
S10 has that problem, S10 lite doesn't. It comes with a normal flat screen, you can easily get tempered glasses in market.

Having said that, I have paid 16k last month for Note 10+ screen replacement which I feel is decently priced by Samsung. My previous Note 8 screen replacements were also of same cost. These are flagship phones and still doesn't cost a bomb to replace the screen (as compared to cost of a new phone). Same spec screen in Apple, one would end up paying 30k easily if I am not wrong. Other brands such as Mi for example, will charge 10k screen replacement for a 20k cost phone (almost 50%).
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 23:41   #29871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
S10 has that problem, S10 lite doesn't. It comes with a normal flat screen, you can easily get tempered glasses in market.
The S10 Lite does have a slight curve in the edges. The panel is flat and not curved like the S10 but the display glass extends to the edges in the form of a slight curve and not completely flat like most phones. In our case, the phone had a tempered glass and a Ringke back case. The screen actually cracked in the edges which has the slight curve. The crack slowly spread over to other parts of the panel in a month or so and then display went kaput. Though this was not a Dynamic AMOLED screen like recent Samsung phones but because it was the Super AMOLED screen and because of the 6.7" screen size, I still had to shell out 12-13K for this panel replacement. If it was the Dynamic AMOLED like recent phones, I would have ended up with 17-18K bill for this screen size. Upcoming Note 20 users should be very careful with their curved displays because that could easily cost nearly 20K for replacement.
Old 12th July 2020, 10:05   #29872
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had a Spigen for S10 and Ringke for S10 Lite but because of the curved nature of the screen, the back case cannot provide a raised protection to the screen like most other phones. The screen cracked and phone was still usable for a few days but then went blank and had to replace. The Samsung service center can at best provide a curved screen guard against scratches which is not actually a tempered glass. The ones available online don't offer a perfect edge to edge protection.
I have been using Spigen on my S9+ for sometime now and it's been good. But haven't able to find the perfect screen guard. After market tempered glass never works. Just using the sticker that I got from Samsung center which was a bit expensive.
Old 12th July 2020, 10:20   #29873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I have been using Spigen on my S9+ for sometime now and it's been good. But haven't able to find the perfect screen guard. After market tempered glass never works. Just using the sticker that I got from Samsung center which was a bit expensive.
It is only Indian market which does not have options and one has to make do with the screen guard offered from Samsung Service center which still costs 1500-2000 depending on the phone. There are curved tempered glass options abroad and the same are offered by Cart2India or the likes at prices 4K-8K which is quite costly.

Please do look out for options abroad and see if someone returning from there can get you one. May not be possible now with the Covid situation but maybe a few months down the line.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 11:08   #29874
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Settings> Notifications> Do not Disturb

Check under "Allow exceptions"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Suggestion by RavSam works fine. If you want to turn off ringtone in earphones, Do Not Disturb has to be turned on. Only Mute doesn't work.
Thank you so much! Sorted . Weirdly, the latest Samsung update changed the DND exception to allow all calls .
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 12:52   #29875
BHPian

I am using Oneplus 6 right now and want to upgrade
Should I go with Oneplus 8 or Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite??
I know these are two different processor, but shortlisted these two, so pls give me the idea.
Old 14th July 2020, 15:40   #29876
BHPian

Hey guys, so I had a query about the Hotstar app for android. I face a lag issue whenever I watch the premium content or sports content such as the PL on my primary phone, Oneplus 3T running OxygenOS 9.0.6. It happens for downloads as well. But I don't face the issue when I run it on my LG G6, running on Android 9, which has the same specs and lower RAM than the Oneplus. I also don't face the issue whenever I cast on the TV. Can anyone throw some light on it? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, clearing the cache, but still its the same.
Old 15th July 2020, 01:16   #29877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnav_b View Post
Can anyone throw some light on it?
Could it be a screen resolution issue, i mean try lowering the video quality/bit rate and see if you still have the same issue. Not ideal i know. Also are you seeing the lag when you try and mirror on the tv?
Old 15th July 2020, 12:56   #29878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Could it be a screen resolution issue, i mean try lowering the video quality/bit rate and see if you still have the same issue. Not ideal i know. Also are you seeing the lag when you try and mirror on the tv?
Lowering the resolution also doesn't work and while chrome casting, there's no such frame rate lag. Do any Oneplus users face such an issue?
Old 16th July 2020, 01:13   #29879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarnav_b View Post
Do any Oneplus users face such an issue?
Just tried it on my wifes OP3T and definitely a lot of lag, the Arsenal Liverpool game is on live. Watched it side by side on my OP5 and zero lag on the 5. Tried a few premium movies and found the lag there too. Then tried a few news channels Fox, republic and didnt see the jitter or lag because they are free content. I now believe it is a decryption issue. I have reported it, not sure if they will care to fix it.

Last edited by diyguy : 16th July 2020 at 01:15.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 01:17   #29880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Just tried it on my wifes OP3T and definitely a lot of lag, the Arsenal Liverpool game is on live. Watched it side by side on my OP5 and zero lag on the 5. Tried a few premium movies and found the lag there too. Then tried a few news channels Fox, republic and didnt see the jitter or lag because they are free content. I now believe it is a decryption issue. I have reported it, not sure if they will care to fix it.
Even I had reported it previously but, after some emails they stopped responding and said that it must be a device specific problem. I don't face any problems with my LG G6, watching the game now, hopefully liverpool get a clean sheet (fpl things )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks