Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2020, 20:23   #30016
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Listed on Amazon India for ₹ 58,999 as of now. 7.00 PM IST 07/10/2020. Found link on GSMArena.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08CFSZLQ4/..._goCFFb162HCTK
Noticed that. But this looks like a direct import, probably that’s why the high cost. Have a look at the reviews, most of them are from other countries.

As per most news articles it’s releasing on 17th and expected pricing is around 30k and on Flipkart. One such LINK

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th October 2020 at 20:25.
Old 7th October 2020, 20:29   #30017
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Noticed that. But this looks like a direct import, probably that’s why the high cost. Have a look at the reviews, most of them are from other countries.
I think its known. Price is I think 26-28k as Google mentioned. And it will be sold via Flipkart.
Old 7th October 2020, 20:52   #30018
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
My wife moved from Apple iPhone 8 to this and initially she found it very complex but now she is fully used to it and finds it better than the apple. The cameras are also miles ahead of the Iphone 8 (she earlier used to think Iphone cameras are best, but now she knows better)
Incidentally we are all now on OnePlus
That speaks something about the OnePlus cameras which was the only chink in it’s armour. But Nord having such good camera is really surprising as this one was heavily critisized in all the reviews.

I am too looking for compact phone to replace my Dad’s aging Redmi 4.
Primary requirement: The phone HAS to be COMPACT. Period.
Cameras, big screens, etc can take a backstage.
iOS is out. He doesn’t want to venture into a new OS now. He feels at home with Android.
So with that, the ONLY compact phone that is available, or rather soon to be available is the 4a. Actually this phone will be too much for his basic requirement; but then, there is no other phone which has such compact dimensions. But the pricing is a bummer here, as the expected prices are ~30k INR.

Like I mentioned, more ten half the features which the 4a offers will simply be a waste for him as he basically uses the phone for calls, WA, Web browsing (for news) & Youtube. And that’s it!

Nord would be slightly on the higher side dimensionally. Though, it’s still compact compared to other mid-rangers.

Any other compact phone which can meet the requirements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
If its Android then it has to be either Pixel or AndroidOne, get the Android in purest form to experience the best performance for years.
Any compact AndroidOne phone that comes across?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I think its known. Price is I think 26-28k as Google mentioned. And it will be sold via Flipkart.
Has google confirmed this pricing during their launch? Sorry, I missed this one.
Old 7th October 2020, 21:47   #30019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Any compact AndroidOne phone that comes across?
Have a look at the offerings provided by Nokia. Those seems like perfect for your requirements, compact and Android One.
Justin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 22:11   #30020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Where did they mention that price range? Can you share the source please?

Pixel 3a was launched at 35k and costs 30,999 INR currently. Even if they reduce its price further , I doubt 4a would be cheaper than 31k.

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th October 2020 at 22:12.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2020, 22:22   #30021
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Where did they mention that price range? Can you share the source please?

Pixel 3a was launched at 35k and costs 30,999 INR currently. Even if they reduce its price further , I doubt 4a would be cheaper than 31k.
Sorry my bad! I went and re-checked. Its not mentioned yet. Some how I think I remembered the OP Nord pricing. You are right it is not announced yet.

Last edited by ampere : 8th October 2020 at 06:41.
Old 8th October 2020, 00:13   #30022
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Also, a thing to note here is that the Pixel 4a is launched $50 cheaper internationally then the last year’s 3a. So probably we can expect google to price it well here too.
Old 8th October 2020, 08:59   #30023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
In AndroidOne, Check the Nokia, few models are smaller in overall size. Also check Motorola, which are big in length but few of the recent models have lesser width making them ergonomically better fit in hand. Do note that not all of their devices are good, there are just few so you will have to check out which one to choose. For example avoid Mediatek equipped devices at any cost. Motorola even experimented with Samsung Exynos, avoid that as well. Check the devices which are equipped with reliable Qualcoms and come with purest form of Android.

Recently checked few Samsungs and found them smaller and better fit but its Samsung where the Samsung OS skin and bloatwares are just too much to digest. Its like millions of useless apps which can't even be uninstalled or disabled. More onto that the firmware update mechanism of Samsung has always been super buggy. It does more bad than any good with every new update. Mostly they through all the garbage updates except the actual Android OS update.

I am also not a fan sharing my data at two servers. I like the simpler setup where I only have to setup Google account to go. With all the manufacturers where they provide their own OS skins, they have their own data harvesting mechanism and users are forced to share their data with them.

Chinese origin brands are even worst who share all the data with Chinese govt. This data security issue came in limelight recently due to political reasons but I have been aware of this since years, even I have personally tested the data being harvested on Chinese govt servers without consent of the user, even the SMS are harvested. More onto that, I also came to know a weird fact that many of the devices even come with preinstalled adwares to keep the device price lower where users have to tolerate ads.

Its also a known fact that the many of the Chinese origin companies are subsidized by the Chinese govt to make their products cheaper for the dumping.

I have always stayed away from Chinese origin brands for the products where data security can be issue, like mobiles, laptops and smart TVs. And this has nothing to do with recent anti-China sentiments hypes, rather its been my personal preference since many years.

Nokia and Motorola are also owned by Chinese companies but their devices atleast come with pure Android OS without any bloatwares which don't force to setup another account to enable device specific features. There are few privacy settings in these phone which 'actually' prevent the data harvesting on the company servers.

There may be thousands of options, be it mobiles or cars, I am very specific about my preference so thankfully I am limited with very few options to get more confused to choose. Also not a fan of adding unnecessary garbage on the earth, so I prefer the devices which last long.

Quote:
But Pixel 3 or earlier Pixels were priced higher in other countries as well whereas the 4a is known as cheapest Pixel so far so expect the price below 30K. There are also some cost cuttings like no IP rating, all plastic body etc, so the price tag shouldn't be surprising.

Pixels have been super dud in India, hope Google learns from the past and price the new Pixels better this time.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 8th October 2020 at 09:07.
tbppjpr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 09:33   #30024
BHPian

To be honest Pixel 4a must be priced around 25k-28k price band. It uses an older and slower 730g chipset, sports a plastic body and worse, it's protected by a Gorilla Glass 3, which is far too old. It loses in every aspect when compared to OnePlus Nord, except only for the the fact that it is not a Chinese phone.

P.S.: I use OnePlus 5 which is now more than 3 years old and except for the build quality I don't find any issues with it.

What is wrong with the big brands? The yet to be launched Samsung Galaxy S20 Fan Edition is rumoured to be priced around 50k, but has Gorilla Glass 3 protection, which is from 2013. Why don't these brands use the Gorilla Glass 6 at least for the flagship models?
Old 8th October 2020, 10:03   #30025
BHPian

A general question on android phones. My Samsung dies even with 37% battery power remaining. I have replaced the battery but the problem remains. Any suggestions?.
Old 8th October 2020, 10:31   #30026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelkumar View Post
and worse, it's protected by a Gorilla Glass 3, which is far too old.
but has Gorilla Glass 3 protection, which is from 2013. Why don't these brands use the Gorilla Glass 6 at least for the flagship models?
Well, get your facts right about Gorilla glass numbring. Higher number is not always better. I have experience with much older devices, even 5-7 years old devices with glass 3 have far less scratches compared to the 5 which gets scratched easily. Whereas the 5 being more softer composite, can tolerate bit more drop abuse. 6 is even better in drop tolerance but more prone to scratches.

They are just different composites for different applications, some are scratch resistant and some are more tolerant against drops. None of them are fully shatter proof.

I don't like any extra layer on glass of my smartphones so I prefer 3 due to better protection against scratches. Glass keeps shining like new for years.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 8th October 2020 at 10:47.
Old 8th October 2020, 11:09   #30027
BHPian

Picked up the 12/256 Blue Nord for my wife from a buyer on olx - new unpacked for 30k. My wife has been using the OP3T for 3.5 years and it was bulging and also had the screen replaced once. Her phone screen broke again on Monday and i believe it was due to the bulge of the battery pushing the screen out. Checked on amazon there was no stock that day and same was true with croma and reliance digital. Poorvika had stock online but delivery was 3-4 days.
The Nord comes with gorilla glass pre-installed and a transparent bumper case as well. Its a decent upgrade for her from the 3T. I am on the OP5 for 3+ years now and have no issues with the phone. My son and mom use the Samsung M30s and my daughter has an IPhone 7. I do not think i will move out of OP and have been a former IPhone user for 8 years prior.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 11:32   #30028
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Picked up the 12/256 Blue Nord for my wife from a buyer on olx - new unpacked for 30k.
Congrats.
Have you checked OP website or OP store? My Dad's LG G6 battery went kaput last week. Compared between Samsung A71 and OP Nord. As usual Nord was never available on Amazon. Got him a Grey Nord 8/128 from OP website for 26499/- with 1K ICICI card discount and 500/- loyalty discount.
I believe you overpaid a bit as you could have gathered some discount from OP direct sale. But, never mind, just enjoy your new phone.
Old 8th October 2020, 11:59   #30029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Picked up the 12/256 Blue Nord for my wife from a buyer on olx - new unpacked for 30k. .
Please look again. It probably is the 5G version. It is listed on Amzn for ₹ 29,999.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Got him a Grey Nord 8/128 from OP website for 26499/- with 1K ICICI card discount and 500/- loyalty discount.
The 8 / 128 5G version is indeed ₹ 27,999 on Amazon. And there is a ₹ 1K instant cash back with ICICI credit card. So ... he I'd not over pay.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 11:59   #30030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
I believe you overpaid a bit as you could have gathered some discount from OP direct sale.
Yes did overpay but dint want my wife to be without a phone as she uses them for video calls for her part time work. I visited the OP experience store and they were out of stock too. Only the 128Gb was available which i did not want to compromise on. It was a distress buy unfortunately.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks