Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2020, 08:10   #30076
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
For those thinking about One Plus phones, just a heads up. There is talk that the next gen OS (Android 11 equivalent) on the One Plus will not be Oxygen OS, but some customized OS like the other Chinese brands. Just keep that in mind before putting your money down.
Incorrect! It is Oxygen OS only based on Android 11. This is already implemented on the Oneplus 8T. All other phones from Oneplus 6 onwards are also going to get the Android 11 upgrade, though in phases.

https://www.oneplus.in/oxygenos11?from=8pro

Last edited by Behemoth : 22nd October 2020 at 08:12.
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:15   #30077
BHPian

experiencing a couple of irritating issues on my new OnePlus 8T

First, it fails to download any big app, nothing above 100 mb gets downloaded. It goes up to 95% and then fails.

Second, Android Auto fails to connect.

Is there any way out of this?
Old 22nd October 2020, 09:38   #30078
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
experiencing a couple of irritating issues on my new OnePlus 8T

First, it fails to download any big app, nothing above 100 mb gets downloaded. It goes up to 95% and then fails.

Second, Android Auto fails to connect.

Is there any way out of this?
Try resetting your Google Play services as shared here:
https://support.google.com/googlepla.../9037938?hl=en
Old 22nd October 2020, 23:13   #30079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Try resetting your Google Play services as shared here:
https://support.google.com/googlepla.../9037938?hl=en
No. even that is not helping.
Old 25th October 2020, 21:40   #30080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkher View Post
Hi guys,
I got Pixel 4a yesterday.
Hi
Congratulations on getting the Pixel 4a.
I'm sorry that I do not have any suggestions for your requirements but request you to please give an honest review about the phone. I'm looking forward to buying it once it becomes available again and would love to hear more about the phone from an owner.
Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 00:30   #30081
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Need to buy a phone for my Mom sometime this year within a budget of 12k. She presently uses a Moto G5s Plus which I bought for her 3yrs back as advised on this thread. That phone abruptly shuts off once in a few days in the midst of a call & sometimes takes ages to switch on. This issue she has been facing since past 6 months now.
Her requirements are mostly to take phone calls, whatsapp, facebook, youtube, decent battery life and nothing else. I have heard Redmi 9 Prime is the best phone out there for around 10k. I don't know how irritating she will find the pre-installed bloatware,adware in the phone. Please advice if there are better options.

Old 26th October 2020, 10:15   #30082
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Need to buy a phone for my Mom sometime this year within a budget of 12k. She presently uses a Moto G5s Plus which I bought for her 3yrs back as advised on this thread. That phone abruptly shuts off once in a few days in the midst of a call & sometimes takes ages to switch on.
AndroidOne is best replaced by another AndroidOne. Especially, on Moto, I recall that the back button is on the left side. 3 years of that is better not changed - unless she is a quick learner.

Moto and Nokia seem to be the options at that budget with AndroidOne.

Samsung M11 and LG (skin Media Tek processors) are the non-Chinese brands in that budget. Micromax is trying to make a comeback - and dont know if they'll learn from their past experiences.

Since your purchase seems to be a bit away, try a factory reset - or atleast clearing the cache (if that is an older version of Android) or do it individually for each app - at least for those which take up 50+ MB space. Apps running in the background may be eating up rge battery and clock ticks.
Old 26th October 2020, 11:01   #30083
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
AndroidOne is best replaced by another AndroidOne. Especially, on Moto, I recall that the back button is on the left side. 3 years of that is better not changed - unless she is a quick learner.

Moto and Nokia seem to be the options at that budget with AndroidOne.

I would not recommend Nokia (from my experience with 6.1 plus for my son as well as father), as the Android one experience is not that great and it keeps on hanging frequently. The Android one implementation is not that good.
Regarding the back button position on screen, it is swappable on many phones (on Oneplus it is) and should not be any issue.
Old 26th October 2020, 11:21   #30084
Senior - BHPian

Need to replace my 2 year old Poco F1 with a new phone.

Requirements include a good battery life, crisp display, fast and snappy, and atleast 128 GB of storage with 6/8 GB RAM.

Anything that can fulfil these requirements in about 20 k ?
Old 26th October 2020, 11:47   #30085
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Need to replace my 2 year old Poco F1 with a new phone.

Requirements include a good battery life, crisp display, fast and snappy, and atleast 128 GB of storage with 6/8 GB RAM.

Anything that can fulfil these requirements in about 20 k ?
1. Poco X3
2. Realme 7 Pro
3. Poco X2

In terms of pure specs, it is quite close, though I would prefer the Realme as the best all rounder.

If non-Chinese phone is required, then the M51 can be had for 21k with cashback offers.

If you want a device which exceeds the power of your current device, then these are the 2 options-

1. Realme X3

https://www.flipkart.com/realme-x3-a...m325a6e0c17b0a

2. Redmi K20

https://www.amazon.in/Redmi-K20-Glac...MH15C4GZD&th=1

I would prefer the Realme X3 between the above 2, if you are fine with an LCD screen.

Last edited by AYP : 26th October 2020 at 11:50.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 12:11   #30086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Requirements include a good battery life, crisp display, fast and snappy, and atleast 128 GB of storage with 6/8 GB RAM...in about 20 k ?
I picked up a Samsung M51 which is listed at 25K but usually has offers amounting to to 4 to 5K. With exchange I paid 17.5K for it.
Its snappy, display is good and the battery lasts 2+ days for a moderate user like me. 6GB RAM, 128GB storage.
The other phone considered was the Redmi K20.

Last edited by cogWheel : 26th October 2020 at 12:12. Reason: typos
cogWheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 23:17   #30087
BHPian

Changed from Poco X2 to Mi 10. Picked this on Amazon for 37k after 8k instant discount. Amoled screen, NFC, Wireless charging, 5G are good to have. Yet to test the camera, battery life. Looks like an exact copy of the S9 + (which I had bought during 2018 and still with me).

Last edited by xotiq : 26th October 2020 at 23:19.
Old 27th October 2020, 18:31   #30088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Went to the Samsung showroom today and this is what I got as pricing:
  1. S20FE 8GB / 128 GB is for INR 45,999 (after 4K cashback on HDFC credit card). Available in store
  2. S20FE 8GB / 256 GB is for INR 49,999 (after 4K cashback on HDFC credit card). Expected to be available from Friday onwards
  3. S20+ 12GB / 128 GB is for INR 49,999 (after 10K cashback on HDFC credit card). Sold out after the price drop, expected to be back in stock from Friday onwards

Festive season sale seems to have brought the S20+ on par with S20FE in terms of prices at least. And hence my confusion as to which one to go for.
Seems the FE has already seen a price drop after the online sale period and is now starting at Rs 45999 for the 8GB/128GB variant. They also have a 8GB/256GB now for Rs 49999 that is available in their official website.

S20+ 12GB/128GB at Rs 49999 is not in the website so would have been a flash sale of sorts or offline only.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-samsung-s20.jpg

Quote:
Some comparison points which I noted:
  1. While S20+ does have a Quad HD display, on 120 Hz it is reduced to FHD only which is the case with S20 FE as well. So display wise both end up being same. I have never used a 120 Hz display before so not sure of the difference but whatever I have seen on YouTube seems to suggest that everyone prefers to stick with 120 Hz.
  2. S20+ has a 10 MP front camera whereas S20FE has a 32 MP one but with some updates the 20+ is also now giving good performance on front camera. Could any users of S20+ please share feedback on selfie camera as well?
  3. S20+ has 8K recording which is not needed for my kind of usage
I picked up the S20+ during the Flipkart BBD sale and exchanged my S7 in the process. The battery does take the hit when kept in 120hz/FHD+ resolution but its a joy to use and the jump from 60Hz to 120hz is evident. My SoT is around 6 hrs with moderate use and no gaming.

Front cam is good at 10MP as it has auto-focus so those single handed selfies may atleast not end up being blur. Haven't clicked a lot of pics via the front cam as of now.

8K recording is useless at the moment as nothing can reproduce it in its full resolution and the inbuilt storage would get eaten up in no time. Better to restrict to 4K@60fps for some good footage or 1080P to get super steady shots.

Quote:
Based on internet reviews, what we loose out on is the processor in both cases. YouTube review from The Tech Chap suggests that Exynos as a chip has slightly lower battery life (10% ~ 15%) and slightly more heating during intensive operations. Am not a very heavy user so can live with these two, though would be happy to hear experiences of other owners as well. The one area which I am concerned about is the camera. Does Exynos chip based image processing on an S series device vary (slightly inferior) compared to same S series device on SD chipset? Would GCAM be an option on Exynos and would it help improve the image quality?
Unfortunately Exynos is inferior to SD and its open in the internet for all to read. Battery is on the lower side than SD models and SoT is max around 7 hrs (maybe at 60Hz/FHD+ resolution). No heating observed so far except while super fast charging. Haven't put any games to test yet. I am not sure if the camera sensors are different between SD and Exynos models. Nothing concrete on the net but some assumptions that Exynos uses ISOCELL sensor for the 12MP main & 64MP telephoto sensor and SD uses Sony IMX sensors for these cams. GCAM is yet to be tried out in my phone. But GCAM support is better for SD chipsets as far as I know.

Quote:
Am more inclined towards the S20FE over S20+. Reason being that S20+ has a slightly curved display and the unit which I used in the showroom had a protective layer on top of it, which did not wrap the entire glass and therefore had sharp edges when trying to invoke the side menu. The sales-person said that this is how the phones come out of the box, with the protection glass pre-installed (which I found strange). Can owners of S20+ confirm if this is indeed the case?
My earlier S7 and S20+ seem to have a similar curvature on the sides so it doesn't feel a lot different for me although S7 is supposed to be a flat display or Samsung has drastically reduced the curves on the S20 series. There is a pre-installed screen protector (not glass but plastic film) on the screen and tempered glass may not be available in abundance for the S20+. Moreover, tempered glass and cover/case do not go hand in hand for the S20+ (the glass will lift when the phone is put in a case making it useless).

Good luck with your purchase

Cheers
srinath34 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 19:26   #30089
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions on a decent 5-5.5 inch Android phone. My uncle is finally ready to get one and wants a small size phone. The iPhone SE is out of budget
Old 27th October 2020, 19:31   #30090
Team-BHP Support

What could be the reason of one phone not getting Wi-Fi signal unless it is in close proximity to the modem / router?

Other devices [mobiles / desktop / tabs] work fine, but that particular device acts up. A network reset did not help, a factory reset helped initially. Phone is a Mi A2.

Most Viewed