Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2015, 01:08   #22576
Team-BHP Support

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
30 mins to flash stock firmware?! That's too long for a service center. Shouldn't take more than ten if done at home. Only the flashing, that is. However, compared to the hassle of downloading the OS and hunting for USB drivers, it's still a better option.
It needed above 50% battery to flash. The battery was low so it took around 15mins for turbo charging to 55% before they could start flashing the ROM.
Old 28th December 2015, 09:25   #22577
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Any idea on when Samsung will be releasing their next flagship Galaxy phone aka the Galaxy S7? My 3.5 years old Galaxy S2 is has really slowed down and I was thinking of replacing it with Galaxy S6. But someone told me that the S7 will be launched in the next 1-2 months. Any thoughts?

I have no issues with buying a Samsung again as I am pretty happy with it! I am not keen on moving to Apple ecosystem, hence looking at Android phones only. I will be looking at flagships from Samsung/LG/Sony.
Old 28th December 2015, 10:56   #22578
BHPian

I have ordered a Moto X style (16 GB) from flipkart during last week's sale!
There was a discount of Rs 3000 and a 10% cashback on citibank cards which brought down the price from 30000 to around 25000.
My current samsung galaxy nexus was getting old and I was looking for a phone with an excellent camera and the moto x style seemed to fit the bill!
Old 28th December 2015, 11:19   #22579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No, not interested in one-plus: I think it is between mi and moto.. Battle of the Ms!
Exactly in the same boat as yours. I briefly considered OnePlus X before my colleague who bought it recently was not too impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Whatever happened to the Mi4C? It's supposed to be physically same as Mi4 and Mi4i but with the latest Snapdragon 808 chipset.
I wanted to upgrade from my Moto X 1st Gen and looking for 3GB devices with good processor. Zeroed on Mi4 based on great reviews from my colleagues who were using Mi3 and Mi Note, etc. Then, waited for Mi4 64GB version to be available on FK for a long time before deciding enough is enough! Discovered about Mi4c somewhere on GSMArena (review of OnePlus X) and realized that it is much better than Mi4 and Mi4i (and OnePlus X). Unfortunately it is not available anywhere outside of China. I was so sold on Mi4c that I decided to import from Aliexpress! Currently waiting for the phone to arrive! Will post my reviews once I use it.

Personally, I don't think it will be launched in India. We will directly get Mi5 looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
The battle is basically between stock android vs MIUI. If you liked MIUI, then Mi4/4i should be the pick unless you really want the expandable storage of Moto.
I was weary using the stock android after using it for few years in MotoG and Moto X. I personally did not like lollipop interface (so many whites!) much. Kitkat was so much better and cooler! And it was one of the main reason to look at Xiaomi devices!
Old 28th December 2015, 15:49   #22580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,
Any idea on when Samsung will be releasing their next flagship Galaxy phone aka the Galaxy S7? My 3.5 years old Galaxy S2 is has really slowed down and I was thinking of replacing it with Galaxy S6. But someone told me that the S7 will be launched in the next 1-2 months. Any thoughts?
I have no issues with buying a Samsung again as I am pretty happy with it! I am not keen on moving to Apple ecosystem, hence looking at Android phones only. I will be looking at flagships from Samsung/LG/Sony.
There are serious rumors that Samsung is going to hold an event early February to unveil the S7 and it should be on sale inside a month from then. And the S7 seems to be a real promising device, and many rumors say it will bring back the micro-SD slot that power users so badly missed on the S6. Otherwise, expect the styling to be evolutionary, and not radically different from that of the S6. India will almost certainly get the Exynos variant, while a Snapdragon 820 variant is also on the cards this time around. In fact, there was news sometime ago that Samsung are really pushing Qualcomm to keep the 820 exclusive to Samsung until April, in order to get a head start over the competition.
Personally, I'd recommend you to wait for a couple of months, and then make your purchase. That phone really seems to be something worth waiting for, and the S6 has had polarizing opinions about it. And later, even if you find the S7 not quite to your liking, or too expensive, the S6 itself should get a major price cut once the S7 launch nears.

By the way, good to hear of someone still rocking an S2. It was a proper classic in its day. It was just so right when it was launched. Not just the sales, but even developers loved it, and still support it out on XDA with Marshmallow, despite being such an old device. A friend of mine sold a Moto G over an S2, and still rocks the S2 with CM12. Not many phones get to enjoy such a following.

Last edited by mukul32 : 28th December 2015 at 15:55.
Old 28th December 2015, 16:17   #22581
Senior - BHPian

After looking at Oneplus, Yureka etc, I bought the Honor 7. I am liking it. The custom UI is very light and clean and there are lot of small tricks. Battery is also good. Using the fingerprint to unlock is much easier !
Old 30th December 2015, 22:26   #22582
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Decided on the S6 Edge 64 GB and the salesman was all smiles. I told him to hold it - opened up Amazon.in on my phone and told him to beat the price. In a minute (after making some fake calls to his 'manager'), he cut the price down to 45,500. This is cheaper than Amazon! Brick & mortar stores are badly hit by e-commerce and fixed pricing is a thing of the past. Vijay Sales never, ever used to drop prices like this before.
Does such a thing happen only in the case of a high-end phone costing upwards of 35-40k ? I wonder if something like this happens in Croma or some other fancy shop! Also the price cut was how much in your case?
Old 31st December 2015, 04:17   #22583
BHPian

My 16 months old LG G3 has started misbehaving quite badly. Yesterday, it shut down and restarted on its own at least 10 times while I was using different apps. I am on stock lollipop and use Nova launcher.

Would appreciate inputs on how I can troubleshoot / resolve the issue.
Old 31st December 2015, 06:33   #22584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
My 16 months old LG G3 has started misbehaving quite badly. Yesterday, it shut down and restarted on its own at least 10 times while I was using different apps. I am on stock lollipop and use Nova launcher.

Hi,

I have faced similar issue with my Note 4 once. Its only 6 months old. I read through some blogs and most advised one common solution.

Back up everything and do a hard reset. Wipe off everything and make it brand new.

Did that and the device has been as it was out of the box. No lag. No mis behaving. Works super.

Regards,
Old 31st December 2015, 08:52   #22585
Senior - BHPian

Use Nova launcher and get rid of that Samsung launcher. If you can root, root the phone and install titanium back up and freeze all Samsung crap.

Both g3 and note 4 has so much energy only sapped by Samsung uselessness.

Clear cache once every month and make sure the samsung launcher is not used.
Old 31st December 2015, 09:12   #22586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post

It most likely seems like a third party app that's the culprit. Installed any third party apps lately that you're unsure about? Or, one of the preloaded apps got updated which didn't go too well with the system. I would suggest check the apps out. Booting into safe mode and rebooting to normal again just might help. Or, a far more effective option is a factory reset, if you can do it right now.
However, if I were in your place, and since it is also a 16 month old device, I would just get rid of the entire ugly LG UI altogether and install the amazing Resurrection Remix official to enjoy the beast to its fullest.
Old 31st December 2015, 10:00   #22587
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Does such a thing happen only in the case of a high-end phone costing upwards of 35-40k ? I wonder if something like this happens in Croma or some other fancy shop! Also the price cut was how much in your case?
If they want your business, they will on any phone. This was Vijay Sales - a brand known for fixed prices.

I merely opened up Amazon and showed him the 1-day delivery option (meaning, it'll be at my place tomorrow). He cut the price from 48,900 (IIRC) to 45.5k.
Old 31st December 2015, 11:31   #22588
Distinguished - BHPian

I am so tempted to go Motorola, even by the over-budget X Play. Pity it is not the fuller waterproof specs of the cheaper G Turbo. Having just lost a phone to immersion, that is a big selling point!

Moving up from the Defy, even 5" felt big, and I never thought I'd be able to live with 5.5". Although I'd rather have something that hides in the breast pocket rather than sticks out, advertising its presence (and more likely to fall), now I got Used to five inches, 5.5 doesn't seem so huge, and I don't often reach for the 7-inch tab now, I suspect that a 5.5" would make it redundant --- especially with SD card for holiday music storage.

But still I nearly pressed buy on just another m4i yesterday. How long can I go on dithering? Until I get really fed up with the fact that even messaging seems slow on the old Defy now, I suppose.

By the way... My 64Gb SD Card (Sandisk. Allegedly, at least) has failed in less than a year. Is that unusual?

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 31st December 2015 at 11:33.
Old 31st December 2015, 13:19   #22589
Senior - BHPian

@thad

I can vouch for moto x pure already running stock marshmallow. Stunning device. Excellent camera, SD card support, great battery and most importantly stock. Very clean and easy to use. Just gifted it to my dad and he is actually seeing huge difference from nexus 7 and note 2.
Old 31st December 2015, 17:04   #22590
Senior - BHPian

Motorola Moto X Charger. When I bought by Moto X Style i found the htc 1A charger marginal - often the system was oscillating between Charging and Discharging. So the Turbo Charger became a must. This beast supplied by Motorola/Flipkart has a two pin round plug (fine) but the lead is fixed. Not wanting to be stuck I ordered a US spec charger from Amazon.in. This has a proper USB to micro USB cable, of course the plug is a 2 pin US. This too has a 100-240V rating. The thing cost me ₹2120 landed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks